Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in IT on WHV

• 07-09-2015 4:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked before -

I am currently working for an IT company in Aus, and they have said that I could potentially get a transfer to NZ. Ideally I would like to work for them for a few months without taking sponsorship to see if it is for me. So I'm wondering if it is possible to work in IT (Full time) with a company on the WHV?

Also, just wondering if people found it hard to pick on IT contracts in NZ on WHV? - As I know these would be better paid!

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Hi,

I think you should be fine. WHV lets you work in generally all professions for the life of the visa (better than the aussie one in that regard). If anyone could back me up on that, it would be great.
    Would your company still allow a transfer with you not committing to a minimum time frame? If so, you should be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yep I got my foot in the door with two IT contracts during WHV and then went on to get a work permit via the employer for a fulltime roll. 8 Years later i'm a resident :)

Hi,

I think you should be fine. WHV lets you work in generally all professions for the life of the visa (better than the aussie one in that regard). If anyone could back me up on that, it would be great.
    Would your company still allow a transfer with you not committing to a minimum time frame? If so, you should be grand.
    Ive heard stuff like this before.

For me, I was on a WORK TO RESIDENCE visa (I transferred from auz branch of company). Two year visa with option to apply for residency. I applied, got permanent residency....which was nice. I live in Ireland now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Was very easy to pick up short term contracts in Wellington when I was there. My last contract was a doss Desktop Support number for 350 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Thanks a million for all of the replies guys.

Just wondering is it easier to apply for roles when you are there in NZ, or would companies consider your CV before you get over there? I'm thinking of applying now for contracts starting after Xmas, however don't know if I am wasting my time if I am not even in the country.

Also - do you know which visa is best to apply for, for these types of jobs?

Cheers!

• Advertisement

I would think it might be a slight waste of time. If you are looking for Contract roles...as in be a contractor...you would probably need to be able to start ASAP. And contract roles...as in employed by a company for set period (eg six months) would probably be the same. They have a need 'Now' and need it filled. Thye may have requirements for the new year though... Check out Seek.co.nz

What about your own company, will they not let you work for them when you get there?
    Chur

Advertisement