Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is your favourite day?

Options
  • 07-09-2015 5:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭

I really like Christmas Day but if I'm being honest I prefer the hustle and bustle of Christmas Eve and that feeling you get when you know the next day is Christmas. I also really like bumping into people on Christmas Eve and their always in a good mood.

What day do you prefer? 32 votes

Christmas Eve
    0% 0 votes
    Christmas Day
    100% 32 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 BarryAlfaro

Same here, Christmas days are too good,just love the winter snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Out of those two, christmas eve.. We head into town for last minute bits, hot chocolates then head to the folks to help with dinner prep.. Might take in midnight mass for old times sake, then home to watch Scrooged..

But I'd say the best day is Stephens day, the dinner is made from day before, so just needs heating, kids aren't as hyper, much more relaxing day..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It has to be Christmas Eve. The build up the excitement, it can't be beaten! Christmas Day after the presents and dinner you're left with a feeling of now what. The days after are still lovely but nothing beats the buildup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I wanted to make as many nice memories for my boys as possible as christmas wasn't really celebrated in my house growing up so it definitely has to be christmas eve ! We have a fry for breakfast spend the day baking and having hot choc. our elf leaves to return to the north pole that night and always leaves a goody basket for the boys while they are in Bath. Then we track santa on norad and off to bed.

It used to be a lot more stressful. We used to do the whole visiting family and rushing from place to place. Now we do all that before christmas eve so we can have the day as a family. Can't wait for christmas eve !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If I am organised enought to have all the presents bought and wrapped by Christmas Eve, then it is my favourite day to soak up the atomosphere in town before visiting my friend and her son and then another friend who is mammy to my god daughter and her little sister; giving them their gifts and seeing how excited they are about Santa :D Those gifts are usually when I feel Christmas is here even if I've already given out one or two beforehand :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Christmas eve definitely.
    I work a half day, wear festive earrings and listen to Christmas FM in the office. I get to see the Christmas lights one last time when it's still 'pre-Christmas' and have a few drinks with the work gang before heading home to glaze the ham for the Big Day and make the Christmas trifle. Then it's baileys, Ferrero rocher, Christmas films and tracking Santa's location on my laptop to see when he's due. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

Christmas Eve is my favourite too! We usually get out of work after a couple of hours and then I get to head out to see my parents, and possibly out for a few drinks at home too :). Last year was the first time I didn't stay over in my Dad's house on Christmas Eve (at the grand old age of 32!) but it felt special to have my first Christmas morning with my boyfriend (now fiancé)!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

It definitely has to be Christmas Eve. It's just feels like such a cosy evening and you have all the excitement of Christmas while still holding on to the build up!
    And I won't be working in retail this year, which is probably what I'm most looking forward to. I am ridiculously excited about not having to work until 5/6pm on Christmas Eve so I'm going to make it one hell of a Christmas Eve this year!:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I hear that!
    I used to work until 5pm Christmas eve and be back in work on Stephen's day. I didn't know myself last year when I actually had a 5 day Christmas break! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Christmas Eve is definitely my favourite but I love the whole Christmas season! There is just something magical about Christmas Eve though - I'm such an aul romantic :o Everyone just seems happy, hopeful and expectant waiting for Santa to visit :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I prefer St Stephens Day but out of the two in this thread I'd go with Christmas Eve. My husband works a half day so I wake up alone and just sit around watching Christmas TV and drinking hot chocolate. Then he either comes home and we have a lovely evening of TV and take away and a few drinks together, or I get the bus to meet him at work and we listen to Christmas FM in the car on the way to my parents' house. I nurse the radio the whole way down to make sure we can hear as much of it as we can on the 2.5 hour journey! (Well, 2.5 hours plus whatever traffic we meet!) Then it's time for some food and a couple of my dad's cocktails.

Nothing special really. We have a take away and a few drinks every week, but it just feels different on Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Love Christmas Eve and love the 27th! Years ago when I lived away from home I really missed my friends when we'd all scatter home for the few days so we'd all get back to Dublin for the 27th and meet up in a pub wearing Christmas Jumpers. This was called Christmas Jumper Day and we kept it up for a few years until life inevitably got in the way. I wish Christmas Jumpers had been as freely available back then as they are now but in fairness, it was so much fun designing and making outrageous jumpers :)

I still try to do something fun on the 27th out of sheer nostalgia :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I love both days, but I do think Xmas eve has a nicer atmosphere, I love going into town, walking around, seeing everyone in great form, hearing the music, seeing excited kids waiting for Santa's arrival etc.

Advertisement