Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaelscoil educated pupils - experiences after you leave?

• 07-09-2015 9:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Just wondering if anyone here has been a pupil in a Gaelscoil and can tell me how you experienced the language after leaving the Gaelscoil.
    I went to an ordinary national school with the usual mix of really good and really useless teachers where it seemed that only one of the teachers truly enjoyed the language themselves, with the others going through the motions.
    So when I went to secondary school I didn't have any advantage on the Irish front on going in, and I just wonder how students who had a Gaelscoil education find life in secondary school, and after that?
    Do you find that it was an advantage, or a waste given such a lack of people you can speak to in general who have a decent competency in the language?

Would be great to hear your opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I went to a Gaelscoil for primary school, obviously helped massively with Irish in secondary, but being that I'm a fluent speaker regardless I might not be the best example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

Ya I went to one. It was nicknamed the GAYlscoil by the locals and some of the students.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

William F wrote: »
    Ya I went to one. It was nicknamed the GAYlscoil by the locals and some of the students.

There's a funny coincidence. I was talking to a teacher this morning who mentioned her students having the same problem! Childish stuff, but I suppose if it wasn't that they'd be coming up with some other silly nickname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

I was just teasing with the first post. I would say my experience was positive for the most part. I haven't used the language since leaving school since it transpires that there are a far fewer fluent Irish speakers than there is made out to be.

However the experience does instill a sense of Irishness in you. It's hard to explain. Lots of Irish people seem to identify with St Patricks Day as their national holiday yet we were never brought up with that belief.

Our exposure was mainly to west of Ireland culture and customs and we had the minimum religious interference. Plus the schools weren't segregated.

The experience gives you an interesting perspective of Ireland.

Advertisement