Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Wexford Town

• 07-09-2015 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

Recently, an opportunity has arisen for me to relocate with work to Wexford town from Dublin, which I am pondering on at the moment. I'm single and have lived almost all my life in Dublin.

I would love to hear the views of residents of Wexford town as to the pros and cons of living there, e.g., property, quality of life, crime/anti-social behavior, good and bad places to live (to rent and then buy), social life, etc.

Any opinions much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Corvo

I think there could be a similar thread to this already on here, worth a search.

I'll knock it under the few headings you provided -

Quality of Life / Social Life
    - Great range of restaurants, with a particular nod to Spice (Indian), The Vine (Thai), Emerald Gardens (Chinese) and Cistin Eile (Irish)
    - Lot of sports clubs to either try and join or just attend their games, including Wexford Youth's (approx. €12 entry, bar and food available there also). For a team in town, there is North End. Also various GAA clubs.
    - Wexford Park is in close proximity to the town (a 20 minute walk from town)
    - Lot of nice pubs such as the various establishments on Monck Street (Maggie Mays, Loch and Quay, The Crown) and also other ones at the "other side" of town (Bugler Doyles, The Pike, Kelly's on the Corner, Sky & The Ground). All those pubs are safe and sound, and most provide music throughout the week and the weekend. If you are into craft beer, Simon's Place is a must. And they may even give you a tour of their underground brewery if you ask nicely!
    - Cinema itself is fantastic, just outside the town. Really modern and some great screens. However, it can be expensive. Go on a Tuesday when it is only €5 entry
    - There are plenty of places for indoor football and its a great way to make friends - St. Josephs and the aforementioned Wexford Youth's area outside the town provide facilities
    - New library is available in the Cornmarket area of town, with a nice selection
    - Opera House is spectacular, with some great shows coming up (Comedy acts such as Jimmy Carr in December)

Crime / Anti Social Behaviour
    As with every location, it has its good and bad parts, but as someone who is born and bred in Wexford, I think in general it is a nice spot. Go looking for trouble and it will probably find you, keep your head down and stay to nice pubs / clubs and you will be fine. You know the story, don't be hanging around town late at night at 4 in the morning, that sort of thing.

Good / Bad Places to Live
    There are some lovely areas right on the edges of the town such as Clonard and Luas Mor in Whiterock. Depending on your income, they are nice safe spots despite them being large estates. I'm not going to divulge too much about bad areas, but your own intuition should see you right :)

Hope this helps, somewhat!

- I'm sure there are various other activities such as photography classes, book readings etc. Maybe someone else could expand further (or check out the thread stickied to the top of this forum - things to do in Wexford with and without money)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

As someone who moved from the west 10 years back the beaches and lower cost of living are big pluses. In my younger days the slightly limited night life options and travelling distances elsewhere were drawbacks. Overall very happy with living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dhamma

Many thanks for those contributions. It is much appreciated. I'll ponder some further!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I may be slightly biased, but I honestly think Wexford is one of the very best regional towns to live in in the whole country. Can be quiet but also has an awful lot going for it. Corvo's write up was very accurate I think. Great pubs - would add Simon's Place to that list, stunning beers brewed right on premise there. The country-side is also excellent. Johnstown Castle offers a lot, and if you're interested in fitness you will be spoiled for choice. The Parkrun in Johnstown Castle is a great part of my week, and there are lots of really good cycling routes.

A downside for me though is internet speeds, if you live outside the town then your options often aren't so good. In the town should be acceptable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I may be slightly biased, but I honestly think Wexford is one of the very best regional towns to live in in the whole country. Can be quiet but also has an awful lot going for it. Corvo's write up was very accurate I think. Great pubs - would add Simon's Place to that list, stunning beers brewed right on premise there. The country-side is also excellent. Johnstown Castle offers a lot, and if you're interested in fitness you will be spoiled for choice. The Parkrun in Johnstown Castle is a great part of my week, and there are lots of really good cycling routes.

A downside for me though is internet speeds, if you live outside the town then your options often aren't so good. In the town should be acceptable though.

As an Enniscorthy man,I can only look on in envy as to how Wexford is progressing.A vibrant town both in retail and entertainment.Anyone moving there won't be disappointed.

BTW,Wexford has fibre broadband so expect speeds of between 50-150 Mb/s which will increase again as there's more upgrades due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Phil1969

Hi Guys,

My family and I are moving to Wexford early next year and I was wondering which areas are good for a family with 3 kids aged 9, 8 and 5?

We will be renting a house to start with, so need somewhere that has properties to rent at the low end (for now) until we get used to the area. Ideally, would like to be within walking distance of a school and a local supermarket. Not interested so much in nightlife but would be nice to be near parks or possibly the sea (for fishing?).

I would also appreciate if anyone could recommend a local estate agent who is familiar with the area.

Any other tips would be great. I am sure I will have lots of more questions down the line ;-)

Thanks Phil

Clonard, Coolcotts, Whiterock. Have what you're looking for re schools shops and decent areas to live. If renting plenty of options for closer to town that are grand as well.

Angry bird wrote: »
    Clonard, Coolcotts, Whiterock. Have what you're looking for re schools shops and decent areas to live. If renting plenty of options for closer to town that are grand as well.

Thanks, it looks like everything in Wexford town is in pretty much easy walking distance, am I right in thinking that?

Thanks

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Folks i have merged threads here as there was already an existing thread open on the Topic of moving to Wexford town. I would advise people to look through the first 1 or 2 pages on the Wexford threads as there might be a thread open on the topic that they are looking for. :)

thanks

Navarre

• Advertisement

Phil1969 wrote: »
    Thanks, it looks like everything in Wexford town is in pretty much easy walking distance, am I right in thinking that?

Thanks

They also have a local bus link that serves the area dropping people in and out of town.

Phil1969 wrote: »

Thanks

It's not too big a town alright. I'm well used to 20 minutes walking so if that's easy walking distance then yes. Have a good look around starting off by getting a map of where the schools are e.g. Scoil Mhuire, Kennedy Park NS, CBS, there's more but those are the ones I can think of off hand.

Angry bird wrote: »
    It's not too big a town alright. I'm well used to 20 minutes walking so if that's easy walking distance then yes. Have a good look around starting off by getting a map of where the schools are e.g. Scoil Mhuire, Kennedy Park NS, CBS, there's more but those are the ones I can think of off hand.

Great thanks, yes 20 minutes walk is fine with us. Ideally, we would want to live within easy walking distance of school. We will check the schools before we choose the property to rent.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭outlooks

Looking for peoples' views about live in Wexford. Housing, jobs, schools, social life,...

Thank you in advance.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Folks i have merged threads here again as there was already an existing thread open on the Topic of moving to Wexford town. I would advise people to look through the first 1 or 2 pages on the Wexford threads as there might be a thread open on the topic that they are looking for.

thanks

Navarre

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Vlagro

Corvo wrote: »
    I think there could be a similar thread to this already on here, worth a search.

I'll knock it under the few headings you provided -

Quality of Life / Social Life
    - Great range of restaurants, with a particular nod to Spice (Indian), The Vine (Thai), Emerald Gardens (Chinese) and Cistin Eile (Irish)
    - Lot of sports clubs to either try and join or just attend their games, including Wexford Youth's (approx. €12 entry, bar and food available there also). For a team in town, there is North End. Also various GAA clubs.
    - Wexford Park is in close proximity to the town (a 20 minute walk from town)
    - Lot of nice pubs such as the various establishments on Monck Street (Maggie Mays, Loch and Quay, The Crown) and also other ones at the "other side" of town (Bugler Doyles, The Pike, Kelly's on the Corner, Sky & The Ground). All those pubs are safe and sound, and most provide music throughout the week and the weekend. If you are into craft beer, Simon's Place is a must. And they may even give you a tour of their underground brewery if you ask nicely!
    - Cinema itself is fantastic, just outside the town. Really modern and some great screens. However, it can be expensive. Go on a Tuesday when it is only €5 entry
    - There are plenty of places for indoor football and its a great way to make friends - St. Josephs and the aforementioned Wexford Youth's area outside the town provide facilities
    - New library is available in the Cornmarket area of town, with a nice selection
    - Opera House is spectacular, with some great shows coming up (Comedy acts such as Jimmy Carr in December)

Crime / Anti Social Behaviour
    As with every location, it has its good and bad parts, but as someone who is born and bred in Wexford, I think in general it is a nice spot. Go looking for trouble and it will probably find you, keep your head down and stay to nice pubs / clubs and you will be fine. You know the story, don't be hanging around town late at night at 4 in the morning, that sort of thing.

Good / Bad Places to Live
    There are some lovely areas right on the edges of the town such as Clonard and Luas Mor in Whiterock. Depending on your income, they are nice safe spots despite them being large estates. I'm not going to divulge too much about bad areas, but your own intuition should see you right :)

Hope this helps, somewhat!

- I'm sure there are various other activities such as photography classes, book readings etc. Maybe someone else could expand further (or check out the thread stickied to the top of this forum - things to do in Wexford with and without money)

Thank you for taking the time to post this. It’s extremely helpful

Advertisement