Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Georgia Euro Qualifier RTE 2 and SS2 7:45pm

• 07-09-2015 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Must win game tonight. Georgia will be on a high after beating Scotland on Friday.

I think this will be a nervy 1-0 win.

Ireland XI v Georgia: Given, Coleman, O'Shea, Clark, Brady; McCarthy, Whelan, Hendrick; Hoolahan; Walters, Keane.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I always expected from day 1 that Georgia would take point off someone at home in this group.

However, in saying that, we really have to be able to see them off at home if we have any business in playing in the Euros next year.

2-0 win is my prediction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

A controlled, boring performance is what's needed. Patient play, no risks and take a lead to defend.

Simple O'Neil style tactics, should work well enough in the context.

1-0, or maybe a second late on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Seriously if we can't beat Georgia at home we shouldn't be getting near the play off's. I really don't get the negativity surrounding this and talking Georgia up to be world beaters.

They beat an awful scottish team on friday who didn't have one shot on target. We are an average team but Georgia are below average we SHOULD win this.

In saying that and knowing Ireland its going to be a nervy 90 mins :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

We'll win tonight v Georgia.

Scotland v Germany kicks off at the same time, a German win would be best result there for our chances overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

A controlled, boring performance is what's needed. Patient play, no risks and take a lead to defend.

Take an early lead and then defend it like hell. Well, it's worked out every single time in the past.
    TheCitizen wrote: »

Scotland v Germany kicks off at the same time, a German win would be best result there for our chances overall.

If the Germans win that game and maybe see fit to give Ireland a little something in the game to come, maybe we could give Germany Leitrim.
    jones wrote: »
    Seriously if we can't beat Georgia at home we shouldn't be getting near the play off's. I really don't get the negativity surrounding this and talking Georgia up to be world beaters.

They beat an awful scottish team on friday who didn't have one shot on target. We are an average team but Georgia are below average we SHOULD win this.

In saying that and knowing Ireland its going to be a nervy 90 mins :-)

Scotland only beat Georgia the first time because of an own goal that a Georgian player scored. They never put the ball in the Georgian's net. It begs the question - is it that the Georgians are better or that the Scottish are worse, and if the Scottish are worse then how come Ireland struggled against them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Balls to the wall defence is what I expect from this team. I'll wait for the teams before getting my hopes up for anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Gifted a second chance. There can be absolutely no excuses from anyone if we mess this up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

This will be a close one IMO. They're not the whipping boys they seemed to be before the first game and we ain't exactly star studded ourselves. I expect a win though but wary of them parking the bus.

I hope we don't erase the blessing of a lead we got over Scotland tonight ffs

briany wrote: »

If the Germans win that game and maybe see fit to give Ireland a little something in the game to come, maybe we could give Germany Leitrim.

Ze Germans already own us, we'll have to come up with something they don't already have for a bribe. Offer them Jack Grealish, make some use of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

if we were to win and also Germany, it would be one of the best few days for Irish International football for years.

would put us in a scenario where Scotland would need to beat Poland (unless we lose our last two games). Poland beating scotland would see us finish 3rd regardless, a draw would mean we'd need to Draw in Poland

everybody would have taken that in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

As long as we don't take an early lead I think we'll be ok!

It may sound odd but the utter state of us over the last few years when we score an early goal at home. Its probably the most frustrating thing about watching them for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

Trond wrote: »
    As long as we don't take an early lead I think we'll be ok!

It may sound odd but the utter state of us over the last few years when we score an early goal at home. Its probably the most frustrating thing about watching them for me.

It's backward, but in recent years I haven't had my mind eased by seeing Ireland go a goal up in any game. It always feels like a case of what goes up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Scotland are cack, we are cack too.

We should beat Georgia at home, should. We have been handed a bit of a lifeline by Scotland getting beat the other night. It's up to the players and management team to grasp it.

As many have said, if we can't win tonight, then we deserve sweet FA.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

Scotland only beat Georgia the first time because of an own goal that a Georgian player scored. They never put the ball in the Georgian's net. It begs the question - is it that the Georgians are better or that the Scottish are worse, and if the Scottish are worse then how come Ireland struggled against them?

Scotland are definitely worse. They have been riding their luck in this campaign.

Their performance earlier on in the group against Georgia was shambolic, Georgia were easily worthy of a draw.

They were marginally better than us in Glasgow and barely worthy of the win, but we'll give them that one. The return fixture in Dublin was the complete opposite, I think Scotland were extremely fortuitous to escape with a point.

If anyone actually watched the Germany Scotland game earlier on Scotland were battered. They rallied the troops for a ten minute period in the second half and caught the German's napping but it was all Germany after that.

I think we're far too negative regarding the team. That win in Tiblisi was vital, people laughed at Martin for suggesting it was a tough place to go and play. We have seen some good positive play from the team, the home games against Poland and Scotland showed that even if the results didn't quite go our way. We also did really well against Germany, they were contained for 70 minutes, and were forced to take shots from long range. A stark contrast to the two spankings we received from them last time out.

I think we'll do ok tonight. 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't think I'm being too negative, to be honest the dream team of MON and Keano, on huge wages, have brought little extra to what the Trap brought.

Compare what Michael O'Neill is doing with NI, on a fraction of the wages, and with lesser players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

briany wrote: »
    It's backward, but in recent years I haven't had my mind eased by seeing Ireland go a goal up in any game. It always feels like a case of what goes up...

Its a mind-set that seemed to appear under Trap and then continue under O Neill. It drives me mental.

Even against clearly inferior opposition we collectively sh*t ourselves and no one is prepared to take responsibility on the pitch. Not a lot of natural leaders in our squad, our last one was Richie Dunne. Shame he was never our captain actually.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't think I'm being too negative, to be honest the dream team of MON and Keano, on huge wages, have brought little extra to what the Trap brought.

Compare what Michael O'Neill is doing with NI, on a fraction of the wages, and with lesser players.

There's no comparison between the group Northern Ireland are in and the one we are in. Both Ireland and Scotland would qualify from The North's Group. If we get to the Euro's I hope we draw Northern Ireland, 'cos we would definitely beat them - no question about it.

Saying all that Michael O'Neill has done a good job and has them punching their weight. There's been some very strange Groups and results. Greece were the pot 1 team in Northern Ireland's group and they are bottom of it below The Faroe Islands.

Holland are in 4th place in their Group right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

2-1

Gary Doherty Shane Long winner in the 87th minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Some dose this muck on tonight. Displacing the Americans from its usual 9pm slot.....

This will be some bore fest, I see op got in the usual cliche "must win" game.
    0-0 draw. The panel are the only thing worth watching..

If we get to the Euro's I hope we draw Northern Ireland, .

A group of Wales, England, Ireland Northern Ireland would be entertaining...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We would still struggle in the North's group. No way would we have beaten Greece away from home or Hungary, we would have drawn both and no better then 2 points from Romania home and away. We would have got 3rd, maybe squeaking 2nd, but North won games we would draw, which should not be the case as we have better Pool of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

NIMAN wrote: »
    From following Villa during the MON years I can state that he's just Trap 2.0. He has one plan and that's usually to defend well and counter attack/dominate set pieces. He's not into a passing game/keeping the ball and doesn't know how to set up a team to break down inferior opposition. He also doesn't use substitutions well (or at all). The only improvement on Trap is that he's a better man manager and a downside is that he doesn't really interact with the players on the training pitch.

It will be a struggle tonight but I think we'll stumble to a 2-0 win. The Georgians had a long flight and were probably celebrating their win with some georgian vodka. I think they'll be lacklustre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Gergia home and Georgia away are two different teams, we'll win this comfortably 2-0

We would still struggle in the North's group. No way would we have beaten Greece away from home or Hungary, we would have drawn both and no better then 2 points from Romania home and away. We would have got 3rd, maybe squeaking 2nd, but North won games we would draw, which should not be the case as we have better Pool of players.

:pac: Have you seen the results Greece have had in their campaign? I don't know what's happened to them but they've fallen apart completely. They lost 1-0 at home to The Faroe Islands.

We would beat Northern Ireland.

digzy wrote: »
    The panel are the only thing worth watching..

Giles and Brady? You've got to be fúcking kidding me. Rehash of the same muck every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Trilla wrote: »
    Giles and Brady? You've got to be fúcking kidding me. Rehash of the same muck every time

beats the soccer!!

:pac: Have you seen the results Greece have had in their campaign? I don't know what's happened to them but they've fallen apart completely. They lost 1-0 at home to The Faroe Islands.

We would beat Northern Ireland.

Yes I have, and 100% certain we would not have got 6 points like Faroes.

We would have taken a draw and be delighted with it. It's been 14 years and 6 days since we have beaten a side in Qualification ranked higher then us.

We love a draw so we do

We would have taken a draw and be delighted with it. It's been 14 years and 6 days since we have beaten a side in Qualification ranked higher then us.

We love a draw so we do

:pac: we love a draw and a spot of fishing even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Some dose this muck on tonight. Displacing the Americans from its usual 9pm slot.....

Typically I wouldn't go onto The Americans forums and complain that it's after displacing Keeping Up With The Kardashians from what was its usual Monday 9pm slot.

Might pop into some threads involving League 2 teams to tell them how sub-standard their match is going to be and how little interest I have in it though.

• Advertisement

You're 100% certain? To be fair, that's nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If we get to the Euro's I hope we draw Northern Ireland, 'cos we would definitely beat them - no question about it.

agreed it would be great if we qualify and ended up in their group! Best case scenario is we went to poland, knowing we could afford a loss and finish 3rd, but beat them and qualify automatically...

we tend to play better when we have nothing to lose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

CMON IRELAND!!

elefant wrote: »
    You're 100% certain? To be fair, that's nonsense.

We failed to beat a lot of very "beatable" teams especially last 8 years or so.

It's 1987 the last time we won away game against a higher seed and that was Scotland.

It's not nonsense, more common sense.

We failed to beat a lot of very "beatable" teams especially last 8 years or so.

It's 1987 the last time we won away game against a higher seed and that was Scotland.

It's not nonsense, more common sense.

we have actually been very good over the last few years at beating the lower ranked sides, its again similar level opposition that results have been depressing, how often have we drawn, when the game was there for the taking...

• Nervous I am!!

Hopefully we can do it, any sniff of an idea what the team will be?

Hopefully it's on ESPN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

beats the soccer!!

Yet you went to the trouble of applying for access to post in the soccer forum :rolleyes: Was it just so you could bitch about it?

beats the soccer!!

It really doesn't, and that's saying something
    fullstop wrote: »
    Yet you went to the trouble of applying for access to post in the soccer forum :rolleyes: Was it just so you could bitch about it?
    Think he means the irish team and not just the sport... I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Tbh i would rather lose than draw. At least a loss will put it to bed. A draw will still give us a small glimmer of hope.

It will be a draw though. Always a draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

COYBIG

Stick to the Rogby & Gah, there's a good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

COYBIG

• Advertisement

Has the team not been named yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'm living in expectance here, which will only make my spiral into an angry rage if Ireland don't win all the more extreme.

Georgia are absolutely a threat in Georgia and Scotland (aswell as the fortunate nature of our victory) have proved that to be the case. The same hasn't applied for them away from home generally, and Ireland should really be dealing with this in the most un-Irish of fashions by winning without the stress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

CSF wrote: »
    winning without the stress.

I can't remember the last time we did that when we absolutely had too (the stress bit I mean)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

RayCon wrote: »
    I can't remember the last time we did that when we absolutely had too (the stress bit I mean)

Probably the Malta game to qualify for Italia 90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Nervous myself.

Needs a thouroughly professional approach tonight, but I think a plan of keeping it tight and slowly building confidence will be the wrong way to go about it.

I'd like to see an approach of Brady getting crosses in for a front two which includes Long and getting straight at them, but I can't see O'Neill going for it.

We should be able to put Georgia to the sword, we have already been handed a second chance. If they can't grasp that with two hands and 3pts tonight they don't deserve it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Ireland games always make me nervous. This one is no different.

:D

• Perfect night would be an Irish win and a Scottish loss

Then we can challenge Poland, still think we should have beaten Poland in the last match

Then we can challenge Poland, still think we should have beaten Poland in the last match
    they played really dirty that night and the ref made some poor decisions in their favour...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Alot of negativity around here.Past results behind us and the make belive other groups we would lose in ,does anyone have anything postive to say.
    2-0 for me boring game but dont care as long as we keep a clean sheet and get the points!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I won't relax until we're 2 up which means I probably won't relax.

• Advertisement
Advertisement