Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Georgia Euro Qualifier RTE 2 and SS2 7:45pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

The only way that we can top the group is if Georgia beat Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

dogcat wrote: »
    Only way we can qualify is if Poland lose against Scotland and us, leaving them on 17 points and we win against Germany. So basically, no chance.

What? If Poland lose to Scotland and then we beat them, we'll have 18 points....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Only way we can qualify is if Poland lose against Scotland and us, leaving them on 17 points and we win against Germany. So basically, no chance.

Nope, if we win our two then we qualify, wouldn't need favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

Dunphy might be going over the top saying we can beat the Germans, but he's dead on about having the right attitude and not being afraid of them, they've regressed since they won the World Cup

No they have not. . . Quit fooling yourself.

There are class players in the Bundesliga who cannot get in the German squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Germany are on 19 points, draw against Georgia gets them to 20, we win both games we can get to 21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

mackeire wrote: »
    Ireland have only conceded 5 goals. Germany and Poland have both conceded 7.
    Ireland have the best defence in the group!

We're very binary in that way

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

50246-soooo-youre-telling-me-theres-P7Ga.jpeg

SantryRed wrote: »
    What? If Poland lose to Scotland and then we beat them, we'll have 18 points....
    I never thought of that. So we're hoping for both of us to defeat Poland and try a draw against Germany?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

M!Ck^ wrote: »

People who are stuck in italia 90 mode need to get over it and except that we are an average team with an average manger but we have great spirit and belief and are more than capable of getting a result against Poland and Germany on our day

I don't buy into the argument that we're an average team. We're not world beaters but we can play better than we have been. We show glimpses of nice passing and moving off the ball. These are few and far between because the system we employ is absolute crap. Puke football of the highest order.

I agree that we have an average manager. God awful negative tactics. I could handle that type of system against bigger teams but I can't accept it against teams like Georgia etc.

The "average team" mantra that's bandied about seems to have wriggled its way into the team and these players are not average imo. With a more positive philosophy I think we could have a team worth getting behind.

We're too negative. We might have the best defence but it comes at a price when we sacrifice forward play to sitting deep when it's completely unnecessary to do so against teams like this.

That lucky deflection off O'Shea. . . Scotland would be out tonight otherwise

• Advertisement

I never thought of that. So we're hoping for both of us to defeat Poland and try a draw against Germany?

No, we can lose to Germany and win against Poland and we qualify automatically, assuming Scotland beat Poland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Are the RTE lads under instruction to put an extra-positive spin on things tonight?

Not trying to take away from it but jaysis like

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Dunphy will be tipping the Germans to win the Euro's next year

Apparently we're top seed at the moment in the third place lads. This is what it'd look like in full though:
    Republic of Ireland
    Ukraine
    Albania
    Israel
    Hungary
    Turkey
    Russia
    Estonia

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

Darragh is losing control of the old folks home!

Ace2007 wrote: »
    No, we can lose to Germany and win against Poland and we qualify automatically, assuming Scotland beat Poland
    Goal difference though?

If good old Bill said that we can beat Germany the three lads would go off the head :D

RIP Bill

German are through if they get a draw in Dublin.

Might work in our favour , as in we might get a 0-0 and Germany will be happy enough to see the time t ick away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Nib wrote: »
    Possible play-off opposition: Turkey, Israel, Ukraine, Estonia, Hungary, Russia, Croatia, Albania.

Estonia and Albania are the only teams we'd beat IMO. Israel at a push.

Hungary are rubbish. No problem getting them.

Turkey are very average aswell but the issue is actually going there and playing them. I watched them beat the dutch 3-0 at the weekend and half of it was the crowd. So on balance we would do well to avoid them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Versus Scotland, does it come down to gd or results versus each other to determine who finishes ahead of who?

Are the RTE lads under instruction to put an extra-positive spin on things tonight?

I wonder if the FAI bigwigs are having a word in trying to sell more tickets for the Germany game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Versus Scotland, does it come down to gd or results versus each other to determine who finishes ahead of who?

It's the head to head record unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

A point against Germany would be a huge result for us. We already took one off them and they will be looking at their last two games with tricky wins over Poland and Scotland as job done.

German are through if they get a draw in Dublin.

Might work in our favour , as in we might get a 0-0 and Germany will be happy enough to see the time t ick away

:D

Yeah . . I can see the Germans time wasting on this one. . . Either that or winning 6-1 again.

Apparently we're top seed at the moment in the third place lads. This is what it'd look like in full though:
    Republic of Ireland
    Ukraine
    Albania
    Israel
    Hungary
    Turkey
    Russia
    Estonia

Our points against Gibraltar don't count so we only have 9 points

1 Croatia

2 Ukraine
    3 Hungary
    4 Albania
    5 Russia
    6 Ireland
    7 Israel
    8 Turkey
    9 Estonia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying

• Advertisement

It's simple from here on out. Its all about our match against poland and scotlands match against poland.

If we match what the scots do, we are through. If the scots lose, we can lose. If the scots draw, we need to draw. If they win, we need to in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Think Dunphy brought his happy pills with him tonight. :)

• That_Guy wrote: »
    I don't buy into the argument that we're an average team. We're not world beaters but we can play better than we have been. We show glimpses of nice passing and moving off the ball. These are few and far between because the system we employ is absolute crap. Puke football of the highest order.

I agree that we have an average manager. God awful negative tactics. I could handle that type of system against bigger teams but I can't accept it against teams like Georgia etc.

The "average team" mantra that's bandied about seems to have wriggled its way into the team and these players are not average imo. With a more positive philosophy I think we could have a team worth getting behind.

We're too negative. We might have the best defence but it comes at a price when we sacrifice forward play to sitting deep when it's completely unnecessary to do so against teams like this.

And this is where our opinions will differ so no point in arguing about it. My expectations for the ROI is realistic and its far easier that way.
    I will always be happy when we get results.

Germany had loads of possesion and know how to use it but are weak at the back, all Scotland needed was one or two chances and they scored two.
    So that gives me hope.

As for Poland again we should have beaten them in Dublin, and I have no reason not to believe we can't get a result away from home.

Our points against Gibraltar don't count

1 Croatia

2 Ukraine
    3 Hungary
    4 Albania
    5 Russia
    6 Ireland
    7 Israel
    8 Turkey
    9 Estonia
    That isn't the ranking I was talking about... I was talking about the UEFA co-efficient ranking which the playoffs are determined by, with the four highest ranked teams in the first half and the four lowest in the second half.

Kirby wrote: »
    It's simple from here on out. Its all about our match against poland and scotlands match against poland.

If we match what the scots do, we are through. If the scots lose, we can lose. If the scots draw, we need to draw. If they win, we need to in.

And we play Poland away, Scots play them at home ;(

• Advertisement

That isn't the ranking I was talking about... I was talking about the UEFA co-efficient ranking which the playoffs are determined by, with the four highest ranked teams in the first half and the four lowest in the second half.

Oh right,thats good news so :D

And we play Poland away, Scots play them at home ;(

True but we have the Germany game as a complete bonus. We can lose to Germany and still qualify......absolutely nothing to lose so we might as well have a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Its hilarious, theres no consistency with them. Dunphys normally saying 'we don't have the players'. Get a win tonight and its 'we have the players but need mkte belief'. :pac:

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    And this is where our opinions will differ so no point in arguing about it. My expectations for the ROI is realistic and its far easier that way.
    I will always be happy when we get results.

That's fair enough. I don't think we can reach huge heights but we can certainly punch higher than what we're currently doing.

It's a results driven business yes but we have different views on how we go about obtaining them.

Of course I want Ireland to do well. I celebrated like mad when Walters scored. I'll always celebrate when we score and win games or come out with results against tougher opposition.

I just want an Ireland that doesn't feel like a chore to watch. More power to you if you enjoy watching us at the moment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I watched the match and this thread but didn't bother posting until now. First off there has been some **** spouted on this thread. Every time Ireland play these threads are a cesspool of negativity and it seems as if some posters here would do a better job the MON.

Secondly it is fantastic we got the result we wanted, yes we didn't play the way we would of wanted but we must remember we are not Spain nor are even Wales :D Georgia are a decent side that can be hard to beat but hey we beat them to keep 3rd spot. I think the Trap mentality is still ingrained in the players minds so MON or any other manager would face difficulty with this group. With two games remaining and a less then impressive campaign we are in 3rd place two behind Poland and 4 behind the world champions.......not so bad, yes we were helped by Georgia beating Scotland on Friday but sure football is about getting results and some luck and we have got lucky with some results :D

And by the way who do ye all think should be manager??????? seen as ye are all experts. :pac:

Goal difference though?

No,

Germany win their last 2 games - 25 points
    Ireland Beat Poland and lose to Germany - 18
    Scotland win their last 2 games - 17
    Poland lose their last 2 games - 17

obezyana wrote: »
    And by the way who do ye all think should be manager??????? seen as ye are all experts. :pac:

It'll never happen but Allardyce wouldn't be a bad shout. I actually thought he had West Ham playing some nice stuff last season. I think he's a manager than can get the best out of players.

We're more likely to get bloody Sammy Lee though. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

well I don't like to brag but with my Football Manager CV... I'm clearly the right candidate. :P

That_Guy wrote: »
    It'll never happen but Allardyce wouldn't be a bad shout. I actually thought he had West Ham playing some nice stuff last season. I think he's a manager than can get the best out of players.

We're more likely to get bloody Sammy Lee though. :pac:

Big Sam .......yeah maybe but I doubt he would take the job as he is pretty much guaranteed a job with a lower level premier league club which would be more attractive than the Ireland job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

An embarrassing sequence of posts here after Whelan, our best player on the night, was booked to miss the next game. He and McClean will be big losses for that tie.

I was annoyed at half time, very annoyed, but in fairness we did up the intensity in the second half and fully deserved the three points in the end. Yet again, we take 12 of 12 points against the bottom two seeds. You can underestimate that all you like as something we "should" be doing, but Scotland have been unable to do it and it might be the difference.

We should all get behind the team for the Germany game. It is in our hands and, who knows, it's sport - anything can happen.

• Advertisement

Try to entice Jimmy McGuinness away from Celtic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Quazzie wrote: »
    I thought you meant you felt like that from the start of the campaign

unlikely we were both going to qualify

Try to entice Jimmy McGuinness away from Celtic

Haha Jesus we would never leave the 18 yard box so....defensive all the way.....keeping the Celtic connection...how about Lennon?

efb wrote: »
    unlikely we were both going to qualify

Very unlikely that all 3 "home nations" in our group would get through - Scotland, Gibraltar and Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Does having the ball in our court suit us? Usually its the kind of thing that goes against us. Poland really the make or break for us.

Also, if we do qualify, what are the chances we do better than last time? I honestly think we are a worse team now than we were back then. Would another humiliating xampaign set us back further?

Haha Jesus we would never leave the 18 yard box so....defensive all the way.....keeping the Celtic connection...how about Lennon?

Defending the D, the scoring zone.
    Mourinho could also pull this off, but he's not Irish and doubt he'd even take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Would another humiliating campaign set us back further?
    No.

Plus there will be plenty of poor sides in the expanded euros unlike when it was only sixteen teams.

No.

Plus there will be plenty of poor sides in the expanded euros unlike when it was only sixteen teams.

Good point in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Also, if we do qualify, what are the chances we do better than last time? I honestly think we are a worse team now than we were back then. Would another humiliating xampaign set us back further?

With Spain and Italy both getting to the final from our group theres every chance we were the 4th best team at Euro2012.

• Advertisement

Defending the D, the scoring zone.
    Mourinho could also pull this off, but he's not Irish and doubt he'd even take it.

I can imagine it now...... Mourinho cutting Tony O Donahue down to size for asking stupid questions while at the same time blaming some one else for his problems.

Advertisement