Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Georgia Euro Qualifier RTE 2 and SS2 7:45pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

yea I felt we were a little unlucky against poland.

AS others have said: Georgia at home - if ye can't win that ye don't really deserve to be at the tournament. Our players usually perform best when the pressure is on. Now that we're back in with a chance I expect a win here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Nervous myself.

Needs a thouroughly professional approach tonight, but I think a plan of keeping it tight and slowly building confidence will be the wrong way to go about it.

I'd like to see an approach of Brady getting crosses in for a front two which includes Long and getting straight at them, but I can't see O'Neill going for it.

We should be able to put Georgia to the sword, we have already been handed a second chance. If they can't grasp that with two hands and 3pts tonight they don't deserve it anyway.

An old school Ireland at home performance,fast start and put them under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

https://twitter.com/Corktod/status/640938468386959361

Given Coleman O Shea Clark Brady McCarthy Whelan Hoolahan Hendrick Walters Keane

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

https://twitter.com/Corktod/status/640938468386959361

Given Coleman O Shea Clark Brady McCarthy Whelan Hoolahan Hendrick Walters Keane

Aah no no no... not happy with that line up at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

An old school Ireland at home performance,fast start and put them under pressure.

Sometimes Ireland will start out with a 10 minute flurry to open the game. Up the wings, whip in a cross, the ball bounces off an opposing defender for a corner. A brisk, ovation from the crowd erupts along with a chorus of encouraging shouts. Corner taken, goalie comes out to catch. Goalie kicks it out high, ball comes down to a scrappy 50/50 that bounces out for an Irish throw. Fullback gets on the end of the throw and gives it to a winger who takes it up the line. After a stalemate at the corner flag, it takes a touch off the Irish winger and goes out for a goal kick, and we all settle in for a fairly boring 80+ minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

Aah no no no... not happy with that line up at all

Ah, Wessi's in there. Definite 3-0 coming, I think :pac:.

Looks solid enough to me, in seriousness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kind of scary for Irish football that we still have to rely on Given and Keane neither should be anywhere near the starting 11 really.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hendrick could be genius or a disaster. Hopefully the former.

MON seems to be trying to play ball with Hendrick, Wes and Keane starting anyway.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

I'd give anything for a win tonight. Don't think I could bare watching Norn Iron, Wales, England and maybe even Scotland at the Euros while we're sitting at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I'm so tired of hearing that stat that we haven't beaten a team higher ranked than us in however many years, there's a reason they're ranked higher than us.

Kind of scary for Irish football that we still have to rely on Given and Keane neither should be anywhere near the starting 11 really.
    Keane is 34, not 64. He's still banging them in for club and country so why drop him? The alternatives are not good. Shane Long is hit and miss, more often miss. He's not a regular starter for Southampton either.

Agree on Given, he's not good enough anymore, he's an accident waiting to happen. Darren Randolph should have played against Gibraltar.

Keane is still our most intelligent striker imo, and easily our best finisher. Unfortunately he's declined physically, which jars badly when we isolate him on his own up front. If we control the game this shouldn't be a problem. If we hoof it, we're in serous trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'm so tired of hearing that stat that we've never beaten a team higher ranked than us, there's a reason they're ranked higher than us.

It also seems to hop between 'ranked ahead of us' and 'seeded ahead of us' depending on which point a poster is trying to prove.
    e.g., we beat Slovakia in 2008EC qualifying when they were 3rd seeds and we were 4th, but apparently at the actual time of the game we were ahead in the FIFA rankings so it doesn't count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

I can't see us qualifying whether we win tonight or not. We will still need 3 points v Poland and a point off Germany at the very least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The longer this game stays scoreless the more confident the Georgians will get.
    It is one game where we need flair and players able to take on and beat defenders. I don't have a lot of faith in Mc Geady but this is one game i'd start him as he has the ability to beat a man and put in a cross if he's on his game.
    The team looks too narrow and easy to defend against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

rottie 11 wrote: »
    I can't see us qualifying whether we win tonight or not. We will still need 3 points v Poland and a point off Germany at the very least

playoffs are a realistic aim

The team looks too narrow and easy to defend against.

I wonder is the plan to let Coleman and Brady get forward. Certainly not much width in the midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

McCarthy needs to step up tonight.

I wonder is the plan to let Coleman and Brady get forward. Certainly not much width in the midfield.

That's probably the plan but i'd stick another guy who is able to beat a man in there too. We could be a bit slow covering their breaks if we are relying on Whelan, Mc Carthy or Hoolihan to get back quickly and our fullbacks caught upfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Who are Gibralta?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

No Kilkenny references by Eamonn yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

"Is this a must win game Martin?"

And the winner of rhetorical question of the year....

"The Czech Republic are rank, absolutely useless and they've already qualified"

Got to love Dunphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

No Kilkenny references by Eamonn yet

Wait, it's a long evening. Brian cody will be next Ireland manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

On a side note, new Apres Match programme starting after the game.

Looking forward to that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Interesting that Eamonn has jumped on the "if Iceland can do it why can't we" bandwagon when that example flies in the face of one of his other theories (that overcoaching harms the development of players) when many put the recent success of Iceland down to their incredibly high percentage of coaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Fun-Fact: If the Republic of Irlande win tonight it'll be their first win over a higher ranked side since the Stegosaurus roamed the Earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Near the starting XI of a functioning Irish team? No. Near the starting XI of this Irish team? Probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

4-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Fun-Fact: If the Republic of Irlande win tonight it'll be their first win over a higher ranked side since the Stegosaurus roamed the Earth.

Shur they're ranked even lower than us

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Is anyone streaming this on RTE player and if so does your stream keep dropping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Is anyone streaming this on RTE player and if so does your stream keep dropping?

Usual shenanigans, streaming it at 512k myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Getting the ball to Hoolahan is going to have to come by bypassing Whelan and McCarthy and using Brady and Coleman, probably for the best.

Shur they're ranked even lower than us

Jon Walters interviewing was quite refreshing and honest.

I was a huge fan of Jon Walters, even more so after that interview. Seems like a great guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

All geared up for another horrible night in Irish football.

Why is Wes, Wes in the Irish media and not Hoolahan what makes him different to every other footballer that the media use his first name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What did Walters say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Interesting that Eamonn has jumped on the "if Iceland can do it why can't we" bandwagon when that example flies in the face of one of his other theories (that overcoaching harms the development of players) when many put the recent success of Iceland down to their incredibly high percentage of coaches.

I'd bet a large amount Dunphy hasn't a clue why Iceland are top of their group. He just seen a small team do well and made the easy connection

All geared up for another horrible night in Irish football.
    That's the spirit. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I'm still laughing at Dunphy highlighting the James McClean tackle v Poland as a means of approaching the game tonight.

Yeah, lets get reduced to 10 men early on - that'll work!

What did Walters say?

That he is very privileged to be a footballer and contracts don't mean anything really when kids are dying trying to get to start a new life in Greece as we saw last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

COYBIB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Blatter wrote: »
    I'm still laughing at Dunphy highlighting the James McClean tackle v Poland as a means of approaching the game tonight.

Yeah, lets get reduced to 10 men early on - that'll work!

You mean the one that was a perfect tackle?

• Advertisement

What did Walters say?

They were asking him bout the contract BS last week, he referred to whats going on in Syria and said he know's how lucky he is to be playing football and doesnt care where.

Not confident.
    Don't like team selection.
    Hoping for a win but thinking draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I'd bet a large amount Dunphy hasn't a clue why Iceland are top of their group. He just seen a small team do well and made the easy connection

Haha I've no doubt that's true but then he has seen Georgia play 3(!) times so we probably shouldn't doubt RTE's resident European football "expert"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

What did Walters say?

He was putting soccer, notably the recent transfer rumours about him into perspective with all the talk about the refugee crisis in the news the last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

They were asking him bout the contract BS last week, he referred to whats going on in Syria and said he know's how lucky he is to be playing football and doesnt care where.

As long as it's for loads and loads of money

• Advertisement
Advertisement