Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Georgia Euro Qualifier RTE 2 and SS2 7:45pm

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Do they actually show the match on the big screens in the aviva when it's on. ??

No - just replays of certain incidents!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH after watching that performance on the telly last night I can understand why the fans stayed away. The team served up a portion of Merde yet again.

We are on the cusp of getting to the Euro's but tbh I am actually worried that we will have a repeat of the last WC we made it to where we were subsequently humiliated. It's a shame that I am feeling this way because I distinctly remember when we qualified for the first time in 1988. Everyone (well bar the soccer haters) was walking on air when we made it through qualifying and then played at our first finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

When were Ireland humiliated at a WC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Clark really has massively improved the past year. I really hope Lecscott signing for Villa doesn't mean he loses his place.
    Lescott was bought to replace Clark in the team and it's debatable whether Clark is 3rd or 4th choice centre back. He's not a great CB at all, too many errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

gandalf wrote: »
    I am actually worried that we will have a repeat of the last WC we made it to where we were subsequently humiliated.

our last world cup in 2002, we lost to Spain in the second round in a penalty shootout, also drawing 1-1 with Germany in the group stage, (Oliver Kahn only conceded 3 goals in the whole tournament, 1 to Robbie Keane & 2 to (real)Ronaldo in the final).

In my opinion, we were very unlucky to lose to Spain on penalties, as once they went 1-0 up, we pretty much dominated for the rest of the game.

Hardly humiliation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Reckon he meant Euros.

Aye, but couldn't help myself!!

Surely everyone knows 2012 was a Euro year/tournament!!!

Trivial, I know, but surely you'd know that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

It's great that were in the mix to get something out of this but lads don't fool yourself into blind optimism about this , John Giles is right and Dunphy was as usual talking a bit of crap.

Germany are the world champions , if we go out and attack them to win the game from the off they will get in behind our defence time and time again and we may have another 6-1 on our hands. I don't like it anymore than the next man but we should be looking for a point against them and seeing how we are fixed after the game before we decide how we need to approach Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Yeah - great - it looks like we'll finish third. We'll struggle to qualify though - can't see Ireland beating any of the other teams likely to finish third at the moment. In this group we've only beaten Georgia and Gibraltar, we've made a poor Scotland look good.

Looking at who we could draw:

Turkey/Holland - not a hope despite how bad Holland have been
    Israel / Bosnia - maybe on away goals
    Ukraine / Slovakia - hope for Ukraine and the game to be moved to Glasgow
    Estonia/Slovenia - decent chance if Estonia
    Finland/Hungary/Romania - nope
    Russia/Sweden/Montenegro - will be one of the first two - no chance
    Italy/Norway/Croatia - hope for Norway and pray
    Portugal/Denmark/Albania - give us Portugal - sure Robbie Brady could handle Ronaldo

So its get third and hope for Group B or D opposition. Trapp got the lucky draw with Latvia 4 years ago, O'Neill won't get that lucky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Surely we'd simply just be keeping an eye on Scotland v Poland.

Its highly unlikely we'd get anything v Germany so might aswell rule out 2nd spot. I'd much prefer Poland to beat Scotland to guarantee us atleast playoff with going for a win v Poland to finish inside the top 4 best placed 3rd spots for the automatic qualify.

Obviously a result v Germany would be great but beating Poland is more realistic.

Coat22 wrote: »
    Trapp got the lucky draw with Latvia 4 years ago, O'Neill won't get that lucky

Estonia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

irishmover wrote: »
    playoff with going for a win v Poland to finish inside the top 4 best placed 3rd spots for the automatic qualify.

Come again? :)

Yeah - great - it looks like we'll finish third. We'll struggle to qualify though - can't see Ireland beating any of the other teams likely to finish third at the moment. In this group we've only beaten Georgia and Gibraltar, we've made a poor Scotland look good.

Portugal/Denmark/Albania - give us Portugal - sure Robbie Brady could handle Ronaldo

So its get third and hope for Group B or D opposition. Trapp got the lucky draw with Latvia 4 years ago, O'Neill won't get that lucky

We're currently 6th best third placed team. 3 points between us and 1st best placed. One win v either Poland or Germany would most likely guarantee automatic qualification. Can worry about playoffs if we finish 3rd outside of the top 4 placed teams.

Also that means there'll be 4 of the teams you mentioned automatically qualifying.

Come again? :)

Ranking of third-placed teams
    Main article: UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying play-offs
    The highest ranked third-placed team from the groups directly qualifies for the tournament, while the remainder enter the play-offs. As Group I contains five teams and the rest contain six, matches against any sixth-placed team in each group are not included in this ranking. As a result, a total of eight matches played by each team count toward the purpose of the third-placed ranking table.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying

Sorry completely missed its not top 4. Was the last time I think.

Oh well. Can rule that out sorry!

Ranking of third-placed teams
    Main article: UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying play-offs
    The highest ranked third-placed team from the groups directly qualifies for the tournament, while the remainder enter the play-offs. As Group I contains five teams and the rest contain six, matches against any sixth-placed team in each group are not included in this ranking. As a result, a total of eight matches played by each team count toward the purpose of the third-placed ranking table.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying

Sorry completely missed its not top 4. Was the last time I think.

Oh well. Can rule that out sorry!

This was where I got confused. For some reason googling it comes up with Uefa links which say the top 4 best placed third spots qualify but its wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

This was where I got confused. For some reason googling it comes up with Uefa links which say the top 4 best placed third spots qualify but its wrong.

that's in the actual tournament. there'll be 6 groups of 4 (24 teams) to be whittled down to 16, which is

top 2 from 6 groups (12 teams)
    plus best 4 3rd places

16 teams knockout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

On the attendance, unless you're based in Dublin or nearby you need to plan your trip, get tickets in advance etc.

Honestly, after the draw with Scotland in June, a lot of people thought we were out and these games were an irrelevance.

Now in the meantime, Scotland fecked up v Georgia to give us a lifeline, but I feel it impacted the attendance

I was offered a chance to keep my seat for something like €150 for games v Georgia, Germany and a play-off that was unlikely to happen (possibly a friendly as well)
    Couldn't justify 3 trips to Dublin, or €150 really unless I planned on going to all the games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

That's ridiculously pessimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

People are slagging off the 'poor' attendance. Can anyone check which other games across Europe had attendances of 27000 or more? For a country as small as ours, it's not bad lads - especially considering the poor quality football that Ireland has been serving up over the last few years, the poor quality opposition, the overpriced tickets, the GAA (especially Dublin) at the weekend, the very popular Electric Picnic also at the weekend, and the fact that it was a Monday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

fyfe79 wrote: »
    People are slagging off the 'poor' attendance. Can anyone check which other games across Europe had attendances of 27000 or more? For a country as small as ours, it's not bad lads - especially considering the poor quality football that Ireland has been serving up over the last few years, the poor quality opposition, the overpriced tickets, the GAA (especially Dublin) at the weekend, the very popular Electric Picnic also at the weekend, and the fact that it was a Monday night.

Not what you asked for but might be of interest.

http://www.statbunker.com/competitions/HomeAttendance?comp_id=487

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

We're currently 6th best third placed team. 3 points between us and 1st best placed. One win v either Poland or Germany would most likely guarantee automatic qualification. Can worry about playoffs if we finish 3rd outside of the top 4 placed teams.

Also that means there'll be 4 of the teams you mentioned automatically qualifying.

If we beat either Germany (or better still Poland) then we'd be more likely to finish 2nd than as best 3rd placed team.

Looking at our possible opponents in the draw:

We were ranked 23 in June.
    The 3rd placed team in Group C (Slovakia/Ukraine) will be above us
    The 3rd placed team in Group G (Sweden/Russia) will be most likely be above us
    The 3rd placed team in Group F (Hungary/Romania) will be most likely be above us
    If Holland finish 3rd they'll be above us and Turkey by virtue of beating Holland have probably climbed above us.
    If Croatia finish 3rd they'll be above us. Likewise Denmark.

One of the above Croatia / Ukraine / Hungary will likely qualifty as best 3rd placed team so that takes one out of the equation.

So we need to hope for:

Ukraine or Hungary to finish as best placed 3rd team.
    Turkey finish 3rd in Group A but don't win any more games
    Israel finish 3rd in Group B
    Estonia finish 3rd in Group E
    Russia finish 3rd in Group G but don't win any more games
    Norway finish 3rd in Group H
    Albania finish 3rd in Group I

So best scenario we are seeded and our likely opponents are one of:

Israel
    Estonia/Slovenia
    Norway
    Albania

If this came through I'd give us a chance but there's an awful lot of ifs for that to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

At the moment we are actually the highest 3rd place seed in terms of UEFA. We are above the likes of Russia even. This is just for this cycle though.l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Not what you asked for but might be of interest.

http://www.statbunker.com/competitions/HomeAttendance?comp_id=487

Don't think that is very up to day, if you look Ireland's lowest and highest equals their total attendance Ireland have had more that 2 home games

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Lads, dont worry about playoff opponents Just ride the wave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

On the attendance, unless you're based in Dublin or nearby you need to plan your trip, get tickets in advance etc.

Honestly, after the draw with Scotland in June, a lot of people thought we were out and these games were an irrelevance.

Now in the meantime, Scotland fecked up v Georgia to give us a lifeline, but I feel it impacted the attendance

I was offered a chance to keep my seat for something like €150 for games v Georgia, Germany and a play-off that was unlikely to happen (possibly a friendly as well)
    Couldn't justify 3 trips to Dublin, or €150 really unless I planned on going to all the games

Anybody who thought that was a fool. To think that it was not possible to overtake Scotland with a 2 lead with 4 games to go clearly was foolish in my view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So who will replace Whelan against Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

More than likely play a five man midfield with Quinn/Meyler taking his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Quinn.

I think Hoolahan/Keane will be dropped.

Long up top on his own.

McGeady on one wing. Walters on the other.

Quinn, Hendrick, McCarthy.

I would prefer a space being made for Hoolahan, cause we need to hold on to the ball as much as possible against the Germans but then again the way we're playing at the moment, and complete lack of intensity makes personnel almost redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Quinn.

I think Hoolahan/Keane will be dropped.

Long up top on his own.

McGeady on one wing. Walters on the other.

Quinn, Hendrick, McCarthy.

I would prefer a space being made for Hoolahan, cause we need to hold on to the ball as much as possible against the Germans but then again the way we're playing at the moment, and complete lack of intensity makes personnel almost redundant.

Unless McGeady starts getting game time and discovers form for Everton, Hoolahan should start ahead of him. Same team as last night bar Long for Keane and Quinn for Whelan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Someone needs to tell Moloney that the highest ranking team we've beaten competitively in a decade is Estonia!

Statistically speaking, each loss to a higher ranking team brings us closer to beating one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

our last world cup in 2002, we lost to Spain in the second round in a penalty shootout, also drawing 1-1 with Germany in the group stage, (Oliver Kahn only conceded 3 goals in the whole tournament, 1 to Robbie Keane & 2 to (real)Ronaldo in the final).

In my opinion, we were very unlucky to lose to Spain on penalties, as once they went 1-0 up, we pretty much dominated for the rest of the game.

Hardly humiliation.
    When were Ireland humiliated at a WC?
    Reckon he meant Euros.
    Aye, but couldn't help myself!!

Surely everyone knows 2012 was a Euro year/tournament!!!

Trivial, I know, but surely you'd know that!

Sorry I had a brain fart this morning and someone turned up early for a meeting so hit submit before reading over what I typed. Of course I meant the Euros in 2012 where we finished last!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

For the Germany game, barring injury I'd go with

Given
    Coleman JOS Clark Brady
    Quinn
    ---Hendrick---Mccarthy---
    Hoolahan
    ----Walters---Long

GavRedKing wrote: »

Given
    Coleman JOS Clark Brady
    Quinn
    Hoolahan
    ----Walters---Long

Wasn't really impressed with Hoolahan last night. Very slow and ponderous I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I actually think the attendance is pretty good.

Dublin Mayo reply would have taken a lot of people disposable income. Hurling final, Electric Picnic. Its back to school time, new seasons jerseys have to be bought and it was a Monday night.

Of course the insipid, dour and frankly boring football doesn't help and coupled with the fact that we are still only fighting for what is a play-off place, well I don't see why anybody should expect others to stump up cash for such a poor product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Can see Scotland beating Poland and us losing to Germany. Meaning Poland will be all guns blazing against us. The rugby teams last group game in the world cup is on the same day as our Poland game . So a big possibility of it being a national day of sporting disaster for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Can see Scotland beating Poland and us losing to Germany. Meaning Poland will be all guns blazing against us. The rugby teams last group game in the world cup is on the same day as our Poland game . So a big possibility of it being a national day of sporting disaster for us
    It's looking to be a day to remember or a day to forget alright, can't wait for it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Thought it was funny last night to see Dunphy insisting that we could/would beat Germany.....

There's certainly no such thing as middle ground with the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

yeah I can see Scotland beating Poland, but I can equally as likely see Poland beating them, a draw wouldn't surprise me. The Polish team have been better than Scotland thus far, that shoes in the points tally to date. Sure Scotland couldn't even muster a shot on target against Georgia.

The reason I say I wouldn't be surprised if Scotland beat them is, that they don't seem to have this, oh well they are ranked higher mental block that we have. Meaning go out an play for a draw and see it as a great result. We beat ourselves...

Against Germany keep it tight though, probably play 5 in midfield and Long upfront. Maybe have Hoolahan on for some magic or so that we can at least hang onto the ball for a while... They have got to try and retain possession, instead of giving it back to the Germans immediately and facing another threat...
    Thought it was funny last night to see Dunphy insisting that we could/would beat Germany.....

There's certainly no such thing as middle ground with the man.

a large part of the reason, why it is highly unlikely is simply down to our attitude. With a more positive one, odds would still be against a win on the night, but much improved...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

GavRedKing wrote: »

Given
    Coleman JOS Clark Brady
    Quinn
    Hoolahan
    ----Walters---Long

I think that's absolute suicide against the Germans. We need to go 4-5-1 and hope we can frustrate them. They'd run all over us in the middle and with their Full backs. I'd like to see something along the lines of:

Given
    Coleman JOS Clark Brady
    ---McCarthy--Hendrick---
    Walters--Hoolahan--McGeady
    Long

McGeady wouldn't be first choice for left wing but I honestly amn't sure who else to put there with no McClean. I think playing Wes is key purely because he's a spark. And three flat midfielders was a disaster last time MON played it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

SantryRed wrote: »
    I think that's absolute suicide against the Germans. We need to go 4-5-1 and hope we can frustrate them. They'd run all over us in the middle and with their Full backs. I'd like to see something along the lines of:

Given
    Coleman JOS Clark Brady
    ---McCarthy--Hendrick---
    Walters--Hoolahan--McGeady
    Long

McGeady wouldn't be first choice for left wing but I honestly amn't sure who else to put there with no McClean. I think playing Wes is key purely because he's a spark. And three flat midfielders was a disaster last time MON played it.

I think MON might play Wilson at left-back and stick Brady up to left-wing. I'm not sure I'd trust Brady defensively against the Germans.

I think MON might play Wilson at left-back and stick Brady up to left-wing. I'm not sure I'd trust Brady defensively against the Germans.

Just as I was thinking.
    Robbie made 2/3 bad mistakes last night before he settled down to play quite well afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Would actually prefer that myself! Brady is a must in the first 11 anyways. Our best chance from scoring may well be from a good cross from him or even a direct free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I'm a Manchester United fan.

Please don't pick on me again Dfx

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I said it before the game, possibly in the ROI super thread, but I'd much prefer the see Brady further up the pitch. One of the few players we have who look comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I said it before the game, possibly in the ROI super thread, but I'd much prefer the see Brady further up the pitch. One of the few players we have who look comfortable with the ball at his feet.

The problem is that our best actual left back is probably Stephen Ward!

Marc Wilson and Robbie Brady are just filling in until someone better finally (or hopefully) breaks onto the scene.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wilberto wrote: »
    The problem is that our best actual left back is probably Stephen Ward!

Marc Wilson and Robbie Brady are just filling in until someone better finally (or hopefully) breaks onto the scene.

Wilson is fine at lb, not a world beater, but I'd have him ahead of Brady if we were under pressure.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Wilson is fine at lb, not a world beater, but I'd have him ahead of Brady if we were under pressure.

Yeah, once you don't ask him to pass a ball anyway! :D I agree though, he is better than Brady, and both are better than Ward. :pac:

Advertisement