Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim/Run

Options
  • 07-09-2015 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭

Nope, not aquathon, swim / run / swim / run / swim / run........ :)

http://www.otilloswimrun.se/live/

World championships on at the moment in Sweden. The Otillo race is some 10k of swimming interspersed with 65k of trail running.

You are allowed use pullbuoys, paddles, fins etc as you are swimming with your shoes on. You run in your wetsuit over tracts of land. Its like a coasteering event on steroids.

Obviously there is expected growth in the sport as some of the wetsuits companies are developing swim/run specific suits for 2016. What do you lot think?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

This is a race I hope to do at some stage. Saw the new Huub suit for it. Interesting concept

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

dublin city colour night otelo up the liffey looks promising.
    sponsored by slim fast ;-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

luckily the sport is expanding. otillo about as hard as kona to get to. couple of new races in the UK, plus another one in norway means races can be entered. love the idea of it, might look to do one of the UK ones in 2017, not on the calendar for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

mossym wrote: »
    luckily the sport is expanding. otillo about as hard as kona to get to. couple of new races in the UK, plus another one in norway means races can be entered. love the idea of it, might look to do one of the UK ones in 2017, not on the calendar for next year

What races in the UK are similar Mossym? Otillo has been on my bucket list for years, from the time entry was easy. Was never able to get anyone to team up. Would love to give this type of event a go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

griffin100 wrote: »
    What races in the UK are similar Mossym? Otillo has been on my bucket list for years, from the time entry was easy. Was never able to get anyone to team up. Would love to give this type of event a go.

one in scotland i can't remember the name, but the one i like the look of is breca swim/run. easy entry(i think!!) and looks okay to get to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Also bucket list but 10k swimming with all that running is not to be sniffed at!
    Serious blisters, cramps etc..

Boards party in 2019 then :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I wanted to do this with Dory but shes too damn fast for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »
    I wanted to do this with Dory but shes too damn fast for me :)

I'm in. You and me. No man left behind. We'll have a blast! Unless that was your way of dumping me for a hunky fella to do it mixed team style....in that case, maybe he's got a friend..... ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I'm in. You and me. No man left behind. We'll have a blast! Unless that was your way of dumping me for a hunky fella to do it mixed team style....in that case, maybe he's got a friend..... ;)

The beast wants to do it. :) But think an all girl team is the way to go. Sign me up (and teach me to swim)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

griffin100 wrote: »

There's a short version at Eton Dorney at the end of the month (link) - 3km swim/10.6km run. Looks like fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

Is there anywhere in Ireland where this could work?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

cart man wrote: »
    Is there anywhere in Ireland where this could work?

Somewhere like Glendalough would work great...huge lake, surrounded by mountains and trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

No shortage of islands in Clew Bay that could make this work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Plans are afoot....

Looking forward to it already

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

AKW wrote: »
    Plans are afoot....

Dunno, don't like the idea of ruining my shoes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Dunno, don't like the idea of ruining my shoes :D

Don't worry, I know a guy that'll sort you out with special shoes just for this event, or new ones to replace the ruined ones :pac:

Plans are afoot....

Clew bay???? :D

Nope, we have a bigger Challenge in mind. But a rolling location could be the done thing.

Nope, we have a bigger Challenge in mind. But a rolling location could be the done thing.

Challenge.....play on words? And are you targeting 2016 or 2017??

• Advertisement

Been chatting with several people and there is going to be a tester event in a few weeks in Galway and we'll take it from there into 2016.

Been chatting with several people and there is going to be a tester event in a few weeks in Galway and we'll take it from there into 2016.
    Add your reply here.
    Did this happen? How did it go, will it happen next year?
    Trying to plan next season already...

https://www.facebook.com/swimrunireland/photos/a.731023760336969.1073741828.730953820343963/731023707003641/?type=3&theater

Swim Run Ireland - Galway Bay - October 9th, 2016 (proposed date)
    Saw this just a few days ago. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/swimrunireland/photos/a.731023760336969.1073741828.730953820343963/731023707003641/?type=3&theater

Swim Run Ireland - Galway Bay - October 9th, 2016 (proposed date)
    Saw this just a few days ago. :)

Thought I'd invited you to the event page a wee while back, might have missed it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Coming soon to a shop near us???

Advertisement