Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest Gaa managers of all time

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

K-9 wrote: »
    All Ireland's tend to be harder to win now, that's hardly a controversial opinion. Its a bit similar to the Champions league in soccer being harder to win than the old European Cup.

Micko winning 7 in 9 years was some achievement though, stands the test of time.

Slightly tarnished because Mayo were no good at the time apparently :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

keane2097 wrote: »

Ulster counties were pretty crap then.

It is an interesting one though, take Ulster from 91 to 95, getting out of it was probably similar to Kerry winning some AI's, but of course that isn't reflected in record books, though fondly looked back on. I suppose the counter is Connaught and Munster weren't great then so maybe swings and roundabouts.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah relax will ya.

Both Galway and Mayo weren't great.
    Galway did lose one even when they had a two man advantage.

Actually I forgot poor ould Roscommon who nearly beat Kerry, but that was one single year.

Rest of the time it was either Kerry or Leinster champs.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

jmayo wrote: »
    Ah relax will ya.

Actually I forgot poor ould Roscommon who nearly beat Kerry, but that was one single year.

The issue is that your reasoning is circular.

Roscommon lost a final by three, Galway by two and Tyrone were eight points up in the second half of the final of another one. All not good enough to matter.

Kerry won 8 out of 11 because the rest weren't good enough to count, and the justification for the rest not being good enough to count is that Kerry won 8 out of 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

jmayo wrote: »
    Ah relax will ya.

Should all hurling All-Irelands not be considered soft given the lack of competition from Ulster and Connacht, bar Galway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The issue is that your reasoning is circular.

Roscommon lost a final by three, Galway by two and Tyrone were eight points up in the second half of the final of another one. All not good enough to matter.

Kerry won 8 out of 11 because the rest weren't good enough to count, and the justification for the rest not being good enough to count is that Kerry won 8 out of 11.

What you are failing to mention is that before that Tyrone final no other Ulster team for over a decade had come within an asses roar of winning it.
    Monaghan, Donegal, Derry and Down had all failed at Semi finals in the 70s and early 80s.
    Armagh had gotten to the final in 77 because Kerry and Dublin met in semi.
    They were then trounced by Dublin.

BTW if you are counting that 1983 Galway result, they lost to team with two less players.

I think the stats says it all about the strength of two of the provinces during those decades.

Between 1970 and 1989 (including 1970) the winners of all Ireland by province are:
    11 Munster (8 Kerry, 3 Cork)
    9 Leinster (3 Offaly, 4 Dublin, 2 Meath)
    0 Connacht
    0 Ulster

Final appearances by province are:
    16 Leinster
    16 Munster
    6 Connacht
    2 Ulster

Take Galway out of that and you had 2 Connacht appearances.

Then add into the mix that there were no backdoors for the second strength teams in Munster and Leinster who were probably way better than the teams in Connacht or Ulster.
    Would probably need to go through National League results to work that out conclusively.
    Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Should all hurling All-Irelands not be considered soft given the lack of competition from Ulster and Connacht, bar Galway?

At this stage there is really only one provincial championship that is actually competitive.

BTW if you doubt me have a listen to Richie Hogan's recent comments regarding the lack of competitive games.

Actually comparing managers in different eras and different sports is like comparing chalk and cheese.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭LMK

Outside the 4 or 5 obvious ones, the ones I admire are
    Eugeune McGee, Babs Keating (Maybe), Liam Sheedy, Billy Morgan, Pete McGrath, Jim Galvin, Nicky English, they all seem to know what they're about, no BS or drama involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

K-9 wrote: »
    Boylan definitely up there, Pete McGrath as well.

Its a bit early to say but Malachy O'Rourke looks the pick of the current bunch for me, whether he'll ever pick a top county to actually prove it is another thing. Would be interesting to see him get a Cork or Galway, maybe even take over from Harte.

Ahead of fitmaurice? I don't rate him 'that' highly.

He's a good, albeit reactionary, manager for me. Too much of the plucky under dog about him. Can beat the likes of Donegal having a month to prepare but has consistently failed thereafter. Part of the blame for that has to be apportioned on the manager.

I felt Monaghan had more in them but was clearly wrong. Second rate outfit.

He'd be a good addition for any division two outfit with slightly loftier ambitions. Roscommon or someone.

Couldn't see him having any impact at any of the top tier counties, Kerry, Dublin, Mayo etc.

Cody is the greatest manager of my life time. Bar none.

I think Jack O Connor is grossly underated too for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Stoner wrote: »
    And if someone wanted to discredit Micko by saying he had a fantastic squad, you have to say Harte needed good players too and when they were not available it showed.

That Tyrone team has been shorn of great players for a few years now and yet Harte still has them competing in semi-finals. They are miles off the big teams player wise right now and yet still are a force, why not give credit where its due to the manager.

He could easily be criticised for sticking with the likes of Dooher too long when he should have been integrating new talent, but you can't deny he gets the best out of whoever is on the field, good or bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ahead of fitmaurice? I don't rate him 'that' highly.

He's a good, albeit reactionary, manager for me. Too much of the plucky under dog about him. Can beat the likes of Donegal having a month to prepare but has consistently failed thereafter. Part of the blame for that has to be apportioned on the manager.

I felt Monaghan had more in them but was clearly wrong. Second rate outfit.

He'd be a good addition for any division two outfit with slightly loftier ambitions. Roscommon or someone.

Couldn't see him having any impact at any of the top tier counties, Kerry, Dublin, Mayo etc.

Cody is the greatest manager of my life time. Bar none.

I think Jack O Connor is grossly underated too for the most part.

Got Fermanagh to that drawn Ulster final and Division 1 football as well though things went down hill after that.
    Did a good job up against Jim which Harte couldn't do.

Fitzmaurice was kind of taken as granted, was looking outside the usuals.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement