Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games You Were Not Allowed To Play...

Options
  • 07-09-2015 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

Christmas of 1992. I was due to get Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and was super, SUPER, excited about it.

Cue some mainstream media assholes whipping up a frenzy about kids having epileptic seizures from playing Sonic 2. Christmas Cancelled.

My poor brother, obsessed with Pokemon on Gameboy. My folks went to the church (evangelist) one Sunday and some clown was banging on about the "evils" of Pokemon. Confiscated. Never to be given back. (The very same thing happened to him with the Harry Potter books)

Of course, these days when some poorly informed dunce criticizes video games I immediately embark on a hateful harassment campaign so that they can't take away my vidyas! :eek:

Anyways, what games were you forbidden to play?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

kiss chasing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Not exactly sure of my age at the time, but I got my hands on a pirated copy of Resident Evil for the PSOne. A moment's glimpse at the cutscene of your character dying (zombies pulling you to the ground and eating your intestines) and my Dad said enough was enough. Still though, no problems with playing Duke Nukem and giving 5 dollar bills to the strippers and saying 'Your face, your ass, what's the difference?'...! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wasn't allowed a Super Nintendo because of that whole epilepsy bull**** that happened around the launch of the Super nitendo. I kept coming back from my friends house from playing 10+ hour sessions of Street Fighter 2 with big red eyes. My mam said it was epilepsy and therefore wasn't allowed a super nintendo that I wanted but a Megadrive was fine. Also had to hide the fact I was going to a friends house to play SNES for hours on end.

Mortal Kombat wasn't allowed either so that had to be snook in and played when the parents weren't watching. They were bloody awful games in retrospect so maybe they were doing me a favour and getting me to play more street fighter 2.

Still it wasn't as bad as with my dad. He was banned by my mother from playing any games because of his outrageous language trying to play Desert Strike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

GTA London. Bought it for £5 when out for the day with my grandparents and convinced them it was ok. Parents decided otherwise, I missed out on the GTA-goodness until Vice City many years later... Would love GTA 6 to be in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I was a teen at an interesting time, when the likes of GTA and carmageddon were whipping everybody into a frenzy. I still managed to play most of them, I had the carmageddon 2 cover disk practically worn out. My parents never paid heed to what I played, but at the same time I had to source the games myself. I don't think GAME were too pushed about age rules.

Games back then were comic compared to the ragdoll physics now, back then it was a sprite splatting comically when you hit it at 25mph, now its ragdoll physics of a dude flying over the bonnet and landing with a crunch, too realistic to be enjoyable in my books, hench why I drive like a granny in gta v.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

My brother and I had our Megadrive confiscated for a week after an on screen EA Hockey fight became a real life one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

imitation wrote: »
    I was a teen at an interesting time, when the likes of GTA and carmageddon were whipping everybody into a frenzy. I still managed to play most of them, I had the carmageddon 2 cover disk practically worn out. My parents never paid heed to what I played, but at the same time I had to source the games myself. I don't think GAME were too pushed about age rules.

Games back then were comic compared to the ragdoll physics now, back then it was a sprite splatting comically when you hit it at 25mph, now its ragdoll physics of a dude flying over the bonnet and landing with a crunch, too realistic to be enjoyable in my books, hench why I drive like a granny in gta v.

Carmageddon 2 +pinball mode

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There were periods when street-fighter was banned but that was only because our little brother kept crying whenever he lost and my older brother complained when anyone used a 'cheap' move against him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Akrasia wrote: »
    There were periods when street-fighter was banned but that was only because our little brother kept crying whenever he lost and my older brother complained when anyone used a 'cheap' move against him

we had SF2 on the sega megadrive. there was more fights over who had to use the 3 button controller (we only had one 6 button one) than there were fights on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I remember not being allowed play the original GTA by name although my mum had no idea what it was so I happily played it with her blissfully unaware what I was playing.

In fairness though, my folks were always fairly trusting of me in games. I'm sure my mum walked in on me playing Manhunt once and I just had to pause so as not to alarm her!

Oh and I wasn't allowed play Super Mario 64 once because I wouldn't let my cousin play. Ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Commodore 64 - Pang, due to the rage inducing insanity it brought on me.
    Literally picking up the commodore and throwing it across the room. Best system ever. Would always continue to work after it's punishment for cheating me during games.

I think it was in the year 95 my mother hid my copy of Wario Land for my gameboy :(

Never forget it. The day previous I was playing it for hours with no homework done. Never got to play it again until about 6 months later because she forgot where she hid it... Grrr

Accidentally found it while cleaning my room, those memories don't leave you, the happy head on me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I think it was in the year 95 my mother hid my copy of Wario Land for my gameboy :(

Never forget it. The day previous I was playing it for hours with no homework done. Never got to play it again until about 6 months later because she forgot where she hid it... Grrr

Accidentally found it while cleaning my room, those memories don't leave you, the happy head on me
    That could have been her plan all along!

I don't think I was ever not allowed to play anything. The length of time I was playing was more of an issue than the content, though that didn't bother me. Even now I sometimes get bored or restless playing the same thing for hours on end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I came to gaming in the mid eighties as a teenager, so nothing was off limits.
    She Who Must Be Obeyed has taken issue with the mere existence of Bloodborne in the house and had me delete Abe's Oddyssee from the PS4 on discovering the rather from story underneath the visuals.
    I'm just glad she hasn't spotted Manhunt or House of the Dead Overkill....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a hell of a lot worse than Bloodborne. What does she find offensive about it or is it just the creepy atmosphere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wasn't allowed a Super Nintendo because of that whole epilepsy bull**** that happened around the launch of the Super nitendo. I kept coming back from my friends house from playing 10+ hour sessions of Street Fighter 2 with big red eyes. My mam said it was epilepsy and therefore wasn't allowed a super nintendo that I wanted but a Megadrive was fine. Also had to hide the fact I was going to a friends house to play SNES for hours on end.

Mortal Kombat wasn't allowed either so that had to be snook in and played when the parents weren't watching. They were bloody awful games in retrospect so maybe they were doing me a favour and getting me to play more street fighter 2.

Still it wasn't as bad as with my dad. He was banned by my mother from playing any games because of his outrageous language trying to play Desert Strike :)

Yeah, Mortal Kombat 2 was another big release that was banned around our house.

I suppose it was one of the first to have an age rating on it? So maybe my folks were right to ban it. I don't remember.

Looking back now it seems so ridiculous. The violence was way more comical than realistic. No doubt it was just controversy whipped up by the media that led to my parents deciding we couldn't play that stuff.

Reading up on the controversy around MK and games being banned in general is fascinating though.

"In 1999, Brazil banned Mortal Kombat, Postal, Carmageddon, and four violent first-person shooters for allegedly inspiring twenty-four-year-old medical student Mateus da Costa Meira's deadly shooting rampage in a cinema in São Paulo, which was primarily blamed on Duke Nukem 3D."

Mortal Kombat was the first game with an age rating. It was MK and Night Trap that lead the the congressional hearings on videogame violence, it's very interesting to read up on. Basically Nintendo threw the whole industry under the bus at the hearings and it eventually lead to the Pegi age rating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Something more current. My niece and nephew aren't allowed play co-op Yoshi's Woolly World on Wii U any more. One Yoshi would swallow the other in heated moments and it would lead to fists flying, shouting and tears (seriously). Good job, Nintendo. :p

Single player only from now on, taking turns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Just went to buy Manhunt 2 for the Vita/PSP and couldn't find it on the store before I copped that it's still banned. So I guess I'm still not allowed to play Manhunt 2.

(I know I could buy it on a UK account but I couldn't be bothered going through the minor hassle of changing accounts on the Vita for a €1.60 game)

Just went to buy Manhunt 2 for the Vita/PSP and couldn't find it on the store before I copped that it's still banned. So I guess I'm still not allowed to play Manhunt 2.

In this case they are doing you a favour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Wasnt allowed to get GTA till i was around 11 or 12. Finally convinced my mam to let me get it. She never minded buying me over 18 games after that. She bought me Vice City and San Andreas in the preceding years. Even pre-ordered SA and picked it up on launch day for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I seen Manhunt 2 on sale in Xtra Vision in Limerick for a fiver it was there for ages , went in one day to actually buy it and it was gone oh well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's a hell of a lot worse than Bloodborne. What does she find offensive about it or is it just the creepy atmosphere?

Blood, blades, horror, more blood and the fact I had Cidonalad watching me play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Cidonalad

Class! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Blood, blades, horror, more blood and the fact I had Cidonalad watching me play.

The missus gave me awful guff for letting the little kunsts watch me skinning animals in Far Cry 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Lucky for me, my parents had no idea about game rating or how violent they really were.

Nothing was off limits, because they hadn't a breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Clankatron

Lucky for me, my parents had no idea about game rating or how violent they really were.

Nothing was off limits, because they hadn't a breeze.

Lucky bastard!

Took a hell of a lot of convincing to get my old pair on board with Mortal Kombat 2, Doom and Resident Evil 1.

Asked for Doom on the Snes at Xmas and got Super Metroid instead. Realised later that they'd unwittingly done me a favour, as Metroid turned out to be class. ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Clankatron wrote: »
    Lucky bastard!

Took a hell of a lot of convincing to get my old pair on board with Mortal Kombat 2, Doom and Resident Evil 1.

Asked for Doom on the Snes at Xmas and got Super Metroid instead. Realised later that they'd unwittingly done me a favour, as Metroid turned out to be class. ha

I honestly think they were just happy it kept me quiet and out of trouble for a while.

My folks never checked on me either, though I was playing a Spectrum at the time so not much unpleasantness there to speak of, aside from a poorly rendered Sam Fox Strip Poker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

My folks never checked on me either, though I was playing a Spectrum at the time so not much unpleasantness there to speak of, aside from a poorly rendered Sam Fox Strip Poker!

yeah we didn't have Hot Coffee mods for the Dizzy games :D

Advertisement