Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games You Were Not Allowed To Play...

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Skerries wrote: »
    yeah we didn't have Hot Coffee mods for the Dizzy games :D

I hated those games, though they came just a tad late for me on the format, I never liked the obtuse nature of the puzzles, no logic, I had had enough of that with the Spellbound/Knight Tyme games!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

When I was eleven I tried to buy GTA3 while on a scouting trip. I was refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I never had to ask someone to buy me alcohol outside a shop because we always had people with easy access in our group but I did have to shuffle up to people in Smyths and ask them to buy me GTA and Carmageddon back in the day, parents hadn't a clue what we were playing at home though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I can vaguely remember not being allowed to rent MegaDrive games if they had "Three red ticks" on the back but it wasn't a very persistent thing - I think it depended on which parent/guardian was with me when I went into Blockbuster. I had played Mortal Kombat and the likes so I don't think I was ever restricted.

I've been playing video games since the age of 3 and my first violent game outside of MK was Thrill Kill for the PS1..... Now, I think that may have been the only game me and my cousin played when my auntie wasn't minding us.

If you don't know Thrill Kill, I suggest you look it up. Imagine a 10 year old gettin stuck into that. My god it was amazing back then - horrible by today's standards but it's fairly rare, I think.

My brother was introduced to GTA 3 at the age of 3 and he loved it :P

Games are not restricted in my family at all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thrill Kill isn't so much rare since it never got released. It was a load of arse from what I played of it. It eventually got made into a Wu Tang fighting game that wasn't too bad.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Thrill Kill isn't so much rare since it never got released. It was a load of arse from what I played of it. It eventually got made into a Wu Tang fighting game that wasn't too bad.

Well I suppose it was a pirate copy after all, I never seen the real game anywhere since.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I suppose it was a pirate copy after all, I never seen the real game anywhere since.

The original publisher was bought out by EA who decided not to publish the game. The developers were so annoyed by it they released the near complete game online.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The original publisher was bought out by EA who decided not to publish the game. The developers were so annoyed by it they released the near complete game online.

I'd say emulators would be the quickest way nowadays

I've always been allowed to watch or play anything I want.

Apparently when I was really young (4-6), I used to watch parts of Robocop in slow motion. You know that part where his hand is blown off near the start. Yeah that in slow motion. No problem my dad said.

Strangely I've gotten more squeamish as I've gotten older.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Baron McBoomBoom

Duke Nukem 3d :( My mother happened into the room as I was paying a stripper to flash me. Got my father to delete the game and I was too young and inexperienced to reinstall. I got to play it eventually though and all was well with the world again :D Then Duke Nukem Forever happened >:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I had zero restrictions when it came to gaming while growing up... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Only bother I had was when Syphon Filter 3 came out my Dad walked by as I was carefully lining up a sniper head shot and copped that a 13 year old possibly shouldn't be playing that.
    "But I've already played Syphon Filter 2 and haven't killed anyone..."
    "Hmm... I suppose."
    That was all that was said.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The mother managed to get a copy of this when I was young. She constantly refused to buy me a Game Boy so I probably would never have gotten to play Pokémon anyway. I don't think she ever read the book though as I'd have had my Harry Potter books confiscated as well.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I had zero restrictions when it came to gaming while growing up... :)

I got GTA Vice City for my 10th birthday

My brother got his GTA San Andreas for his 6th birthday

Direct quote from my parents to every other parent who wondered why we had the games, "Sure the age things are only a guideline"

My brother has quite a few anger issues 10 years later, scored a fluke in Rocket League, and he got up and stamped on the remote. Probably wasn't the best idea giving us them games mam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I was off school for a few days with a bad cold when I was about 13. Once I was feeling a bit better and not sleeping all day I was allowed to turn on the TV in my room, so I had myself wrapped up in a duvet playing FF VII. I was in the middle of fighting the boss in the lift of Shinra Tower when I felt something tickling my hand. I looked down and my hand and the controller were getting spattered with blood. I was having the worst nosebleed I've ever had in my life, it took ages to get it stopped. I now know that that sometimes happens at the end of a cold, but my mother flipped and banned me from FF VII, saying that was after causing it. After a week or so she had forgotten, though.

And it's not that I wasn't allowed to play Tekken, but my mum loved the Galaxia game on the loading screen at the start so she'd go "Oh, let me have a go of that" and an hour later she'd still be going "yeah, yeah, one more game."

I think she considered banning me and my sister from GTA but then we told her we got bonus points for running over all the Hare Krishnas and she thought that was funny so she let us be. In hindsight she seems a little crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

I got GTA Vice City for my 10th birthday

My brother got his GTA San Andreas for his 6th birthday

Direct quote from my parents to every other parent who wondered why we had the games, "Sure the age things are only a guideline"

My brother has quite a few anger issues 10 years later, scored a fluke in Rocket League, and he got up and stamped on the remote. Probably wasn't the best idea giving us them games mam

Haha. Maybe your folks should have made you write an essay like this kid below!

http://theheathermcnamara.tumblr.com/post/131267075353/theheathermcnamara-theheathermcnamara-a-few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

orubiru wrote: »
    Haha. Maybe your folks should have made you write an essay like this kid below!

http://theheathermcnamara.tumblr.com/post/131267075353/theheathermcnamara-theheathermcnamara-a-few

So it's only bad to kill in videogames if you kill women? :confused:

How many mainstream games out there containing the ability to rape characters? I haven't come across any myself…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

How many mainstream games out there containing the ability to rape characters? I haven't come across any myself…

Well in Japan...

I was never banned from anything that i can recall, but the weather back in 1997 on Christmas eve "banned" me from playing. After spending 4 hours in the mothers car unpacking an packing my brand new PS1 and Destruction Derby 2, the 1/2 hour drive home was intense, as i watched the electricity go off house by house on the drive home. Got home, still have power, set everything up, turned on, just getting that glorious start up sound (which is now my pc start up sound), then poof. Electricity gone. For 5 days. The longest 5 days of my life!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I am on the other side of this now as a father of two girls and there are a couple of games I'd be sketchy about letting my kids play but thankfully they seem to show little interest in them. I was letting my 11 year old watch as I played through Life is Strange during the initial episodes but I knocked that on the head as it handled themes, while never explicitly, that were quite dark and I really didn't think she needed to be dealing with them.

I am on the other side of this now as a father of two girls and there are a couple of games I'd be sketchy about letting my kids play but thankfully they seem to show little interest in them. I was letting my 11 year old watch as I played through Life is Strange during the initial episodes but I knocked that on the head as it handled themes, while never explicitly, that were quite dark and I really didn't think she needed to be dealing with them.

As games are becoming more like movies or TV shows in the way that they deal with themes, I think that it's definitely appropriate nowadays for parents to regulate what games their kids can view and/or participate in.

I think if a parent wouldn't, for example, let their kids watch Game of Thrones then why would they turn round and let them play GTA V or something like that?

• Advertisement

So it's only bad to kill in videogames if you kill women? :confused:

I doubt any popular mainstream game has anything close to the ability to rape in them. I think most players would be against such content. At least I hope so.

To be honest, the closest I have come with agreeing that a game has "misogyny" would have been with Arkham City a few years back. The amount of times "bitch" is used by the bad guys when talking about the few female characters in game is a bit annoying. It just seemed really mean spirited and needlessly aggressive.

When people talk about GTA I just roll my eyes. The entire game is a satire and so anything that happens in the game world is part of an, often quite scathing, parody of real "American" life.

Honestly kids shouldn't be playing the game if they are not mature enough to understand that it's satire and/or parody. Also, as a parent, if you've taught your 12 year old kid about rape and consent and misogyny and then you've thrown them a copy of GTA (or Saints Row?) as a reward then that's pretty messed up.

Maybe it's just the nature of games though that things will go under a parents radar. You can spend 5 minutes listening to an Eminem song before deciding if you are OK with your kids listening to that. You can fast forward through a 2 hour movie looking for "dodgy" content. Most parents do not have time to spend 5, 10 or 50+ hours playing through a game to see if it is appropriate for their children. So you are left looking to people like Feminist Frequency to tell you whats what with games. *Spoiler* They'll just tell ya that everything is hyper-ultra-super-violent sexist and racist.

I'd say that Nintendo is always a safe bet for children but apparently even The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros are "encouraging gamers to objectify women".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I would have thought at this stage most people would know about gta and that it has mature themes though.

Honestly I think the letter is sad, it's just her getting her son to appease her agenda rather than trying to teach him anything meaningful or prove he is mature enough to handle an adult game. May as well ask him the write an eassy on why the church sucks before handing over some crisps and coke.

Maybe though in his teenage rebellion stage it might give him some insight into people's motivations..

• Registered Users Posts: 48 fuzzypickle

I remember getting GTA Vice City for Christmas when I was 11 and gleefully showing my mother "look at me pop this guys head". :rolleyes:
    I had Tekken and a few other violent games growing up. Nothing major though.
    My dad is a bit of a PC gamer though so that helped. I used to love watching him play when I was a kid.

My 5 year old has taken a shine to the pc now and I have a few games on Steam that are suitable for him and his sister. They usually don't have much interest in anything else. They play on my WoW account now and again which I've no problem with.
    But I caught him playing Left 4 Dead 2 the other week on his dads pc. I nearly had a stroke. :eek: He was pretty good for his age though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Bugg

Nothing was off limits really with my parents which was great, I recall being about 10 and my Dad coming home with the original Resident Evil for me because it was cheap in the buy and sell. My neighbours (of the same age) parents used to rent GTA for us too.

It must have kept us quiet or something because they were well aware of the content in the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Still it wasn't as bad as with my dad. He was banned by my mother from playing any games because of his outrageous language trying to play Desert Strike

I absolutely loved desert strike! EA made that, then urban strike was good too!
    I have great memories playing SNES and megadrive growing up! I was hooked on Sim city on the SNES, I nearly turned into a zombie playing Kevin Keegan's player manager! Super tennis was brilliant, all soccer games, Mario all stars, royal rumble on the SNES was good, George forean for real but my fav boxing game was on the megadrive,I think it was called greatest heavyweights! You could create a fighter and do a career mode or play as 1 of 8 of the greatest heavyweights fight the other 7 to top the table and then see the wrote up about their lives as the ending (no Wikipedia that time) and I thought it was great! Could never beat Ali in the game but I'd still manage to top the table with every fighter!
    Brilliant days!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I absolutely loved desert strike! EA made that, then urban strike was good too!
    I have great memories playing SNES and megadrive growing up! I was hooked on Sim city on the SNES, I nearly turned into a zombie playing Kevin Keegan's player manager! Super tennis was brilliant, all soccer games, Mario all stars, royal rumble on the SNES was good, George forean for real but my fav boxing game was on the megadrive,I think it was called greatest heavyweights! You could create a fighter and do a career mode or play as 1 of 8 of the greatest heavyweights fight the other 7 to top the table and then see the wrote up about their lives as the ending (no Wikipedia that time) and I thought it was great! Could never beat Ali in the game but I'd still manage to top the table with every fighter!
    Brilliant days!
    I remember that game, it was brilliant, I couldn't get past the 12th ranked fighter, I'd beat anyone above him but for some reason hed always get the better of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Luckily for me by the time all the good games like GTA, Resident Evil and others I was too old for my parents to say your not allowed play the games. :)

I had a atari 2600 in my early teens, no games at that time were worth my parents banning, what harm could Pac-Man or Beserker do. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

My brother has been banned from about 3 different fifas becuase he would constantly curse while playing. I didnt care, dont like fifa ;P

Advertisement