Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice given to licensee who refused to do notice

Options
  • 07-09-2015 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 36 Elto78

a week ago , I had to ask the licensee or lodger living in my apartment to leave for various reasons which I will not develop into the thread.

the talk started lovely until I mentioned I had a think and I wanted her to move out. she started to have a long face not happy
    I then told her I was providing her with a month notice as per the written agreement.
    she started to raise her voice and said she was going to move out next week therefore this week. refusing to do the notice and wanted to pay weekly. even though she had signed the license when moving it. I told her ok to accommodate as usual.

but I asked her then to move by 11th. therefore this Friday.

so far she had been more interested of having visitors at the flat than looking for a room.

I am a bit scared she will not move out on Friday and I am not willing now to extend her stay due to the way she spoke to me when refusing to do the month notice and other issues.

what can I do if she s not moving out? as I own the apartment and live in it

thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Change the locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that if you told her to move out on Friday that she has all day Friday to do this.

When she goes out on Saturday morning, change the locks. Have someone there when she comes to collect her belongings.

In the meantime, you might secure any valuables that you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As she is a licensee and presumably has agreed to a move out date of the 11th, then you can just take her keys off her that day and wave goodbye. If she refuses to hand them over, you can just lock her out.

I would make pretty unsubtle noises about it such as asking her what her plans are on Friday and what time she's planning on moving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Elto78

The issue is that she has not started to look for a room yet and this does worry me a lot

and she borrowed her deposit last month to go on holidays so I am not even sure she has the deposit to move elsewhere at all
    the note clearly wrote she had to be out on Friday 11th by 9PM
    and she is not paying for Friday I just want her to leave
    and I do not want to be in situation where I lock her out and there is a big drama either

does she has to agree to move out?
    as if I wait for her to give me a date I wait she will as she s not really reliable on anything
    and at this stage I am more than happy to do her way and let her move out asap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Taboola wrote: »
    Change the locks.
    Do this on Saturday morning and if you see her on Friday ask for the keys back but change the Barrel of lock anyway!
    Elto78 wrote: »
    The issue is that she has not started to look for a room yet and this does worry me a lot

and she borrowed her deposit last month to go on holidays so I am not even sure she has the deposit to move elsewhere at all
    the note clearly wrote she had to be out on Friday 11th by 9PM
    and she is not paying for Friday I just want her to leave
    and I do not want to be in situation where I lock her out and there is a big drama either
    You are not her parent/guardian and not responsible for her situation or her future housing requirements.

As for the deposit, You should inspect the room every day(while she is out!) until Friday and if it looks like there is damage or that she is trashing it then change the locks immediately and do not let her inside the front door again! pass her belongings out through the window or out at the door.

well she has to be out Friday by 9PM and I did not charge her for Friday as I want her out
    can you legally do that change to lock and hand her stuff back when she is back? knowing I am the owner occupier

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

well she has to be out Friday by 9PM and I did not charge her for Friday as I want her out
    can you legally do that change to lock and hand her stuff back when she is back? knowing I am the owner occupier
    Yes. Licensees can be forcibly evicted and they have no comeback or right to enter the property.

There may be a big drama, sometimes that's unavoidable. But you can't get into trouble provided that you don't damage or lose her property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Never give a licensee an agreement in writing, she now has that to fall back on, the written agreement states one month notice. Even the new letter may not over ride this, you're on dodgy ground imo.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Never give a licensee an agreement in writing, she now has that to fall back on, the written agreement states one month notice. Even the new letter may not over ride this, you're on dodgy ground imo.

She herself said she was moving out this week so the new letter was given to her giving her till Friday to leave. She is not entitled to stay longer.

• Advertisement

well I presume she said it she be out this week of anger or as she thought she would find something easily at same deal that she has at my place

I do not think she was expecting me to ask her to leave

but I did write a note just in case and mentioned in it she was refusing the month notice therefore I was complying with her request
    just in case
    I d rather have it all in writing when I do not knwoall the rights

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Next time you see her, just say are you all set for the move at the weekend? If she kicks up a fuss, then you know you will be getting the locksmith around this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Did you give her back her deposit so she could go on holidays?

I actually did as she pestered me all day by message when I was at work

I went back home that day telling her it was the last time I lent her the deposit back as she s asked for that every month since first month she was in the door
    always something with her

I understand you have an issue once but not every month and not for holidays. I kept 90 euro of it just to cover bills in case anything goes wrong
    but yeah as an idiot every month I gave her back part of her deposit
    but she was told it was the last time
    so basically I have 90 euro deposit in my hands instead of the month deposit
    hard to say no when someone pesters you non stop

Not so much soft as a nice person who is being taken for a mug by this little <snip>

well there are a few reasons why I asked her to leave
    and at this stage I just want her out really really out
    as i give the nail she takes the arm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

well there are a few reasons why I asked her to leave
    and at this stage I just want her out really really out
    as i give the nail she takes the arm

Come Saturday just change out the locks. If you feel that there might be drama and you will feel unsafe make sure to have friends around on Saturday.

i did give her the month but she refused it firmly and got really strong on that point. and started to pay weekly.sge refused to give the month rent which was due on 1st she paid from last monday to yesterday so hasnt paid for this week.it s her terms not mine my licence says full month rent to pay on 1st. which she hasnt done

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I actually did as she pestered me all day by message when I was at work

I went back home that day telling her it was the last time I lent her the deposit back as she s asked for that every month since first month she was in the door
    always something with her

I understand you have an issue once but not every month and not for holidays. I kept 90 euro of it just to cover bills in case anything goes wrong
    but yeah as an idiot every month I gave her back part of her deposit
    but she was told it was the last time
    so basically I have 90 euro deposit in my hands instead of the month deposit
    hard to say no when someone pesters you non stop
    my own fault for being soft
    Why not tell the person to stop pestering you?

Throw her out and forget about it, I wouldn't think twice about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

She has no reason to leave, and no deposit to lose. Wait until she leaves, and have the locks changed. Threatening this will just ensure she either stays, or that she leaves with something of value.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Why not tell the person to stop pestering you?

with some people that doesnt work. and asking for deposit back every month for this or that is bit much un fairness cheeky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

with some people that doesnt work. and asking for deposit back every month for this or that is bit much un fairness cheeky

Text back saying no and now I have to turn off my mobile to go into a meeting or to get some work done tell the reception not to put her through, they can say you are in a meeting.

At this stage get some boxes and a role of heavy black bags pack up the lot tell here to go.

the_syco wrote: »
    She has no reason to leave, and no deposit to lose. Wait until she leaves, and have the locks changed. Threatening this will just ensure she either stays, or that she leaves with something of value.

I have not threatened of anything
    just requested she d leave
    I am trying to have her leave in the nicest manner as I can
    not to have stress myself

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I have not threatened of anything
    just requested she d leave
    I am trying to have her leave in the nicest manner as I can
    not to have stress myself

Seen this a thousand times. The situation is not going to get better by hoping it will go away. You have asked her to leave. She has clearly refused and intends to stay. She has no rights. Turf her out.

I did request her to leave gave her noticed
    she refused the notice
    so I did set up a deadline for her to leave as she did not want to pay for the month
    we will see Friday.
    until then I keep my eyes opened. and will act Friday if she does not move by her dead line.
    at the moment she is avoiding me pretending to sleep when I come back home at 9 PM but until Friday I am avoiding unnecessary arguments
    but spare lock is ready to go on door anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Seen this a thousand times. The situation is not going to get better by hoping it will go away. You have asked her to leave. She has clearly refused and intends to stay. She has no rights. Turf her out.

She may have rights. The written licence gives her rights she's not entitled to. The OP has issued a letter based on a conversation but the signed licence would still hold if the licensee were to seek legal advice. The OP needs to tread carefully here.

well licence also stipulates Breaching the licence will result in the immediate termination of the contract.
    and she did not comply to it on a few things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

She may have rights. The written licence gives her rights she's not entitled to. The OP has issued a letter based on a conversation but the signed licence would still hold if the licensee were to seek legal advice. The OP needs to tread carefully here.

Just an innocent question. if both the 'license' and 'letter' were simply drawn up by the the OP then do both not hold the same weight in this context ( the rights of licensee)?

im assuming the later letter is signed by both parties.

good luck with it op. im sure all will turn out grand, looks like youve done all ya can and its time to play the waiting game

• Advertisement

well the licence says a month notice for OP and for Licensee if you wish to terminate contract and month rent to be paid on a certain date
    but the issue is that when I gave her the notice of one month she refused it
    that is why I wrote the letter with dates and facts as she is the one refusing to pay the rent for the month and do the notice
    even though I m the one asking her to leave

so in case she says anything it is written in my note that she is the one who refuses to pay for the month and do the month notice
    and that I am complying with her wishes
    just in case she complains now she did not have full month notice

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement