Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marmotte 2016

Options
  • 07-09-2015 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Maybe it's too soon?!? Who is thinking of taking this on in 2016?

Having failed to complete this year I'm in two minds as to whether to give it another go next year. The heat surely can't be as bad again!?! and I 'll have a much better idea of what to expect. On the other hand, for the same outlay I could spend a week in the Alps just cycling about and not have the mental pressure of cut-off times etc. However, I also have a strong sense of unfinished business with the event!

I think I had the endurance this year but not the speed, especially noticeable in my descending. I've already changed my training regime to include shorter more intense efforts during the week (these will inevitably become turbo sessions soon), and alternating easy long rides every other week-end with group sessions with my local cycling club who are pushing up my average speed. (Typically I can hang with the group, even taking the odd turn on the front, until starting to struggle in the last hour or so of a 3-and-a-half hour ride).

Last year I think I built endurance and distance very well, but I need to add speed, and family and work won't allow to commit as much time to training again so I'll have to train smarter. I was getting out 4 or 5 times a week. This time I'll have to limit training to three times a week, but I think that'll be enough if I train smarter.

rb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Believe it or not, this thread started 3 years ago. Long term planning or what!
    Am pondering entering this next year as a challenge, or maybe I'll just wimp out and spen a few days in the Alps or Pyrenees. Need to decide before November.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056845304/1
    Perhaps mods can merge??

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

Well, I've taken the first step.

Flights Dublin-Lyon booked from Thu (30th June) to Tue (5th July) on Aer Lingus. 5 nights.

Booking flights before I have the entry is an acceptable risk.

Had thought about signing up with a tour company for the Marmotte, but costs would be significantly higher for even a 2 night package. So I decided to go DIY.

Also thought about doing it with the minimum stay (Fri-Sun), but that would cost >80% of the 5 night costs, and I reckoned it would be a shame to get in and get out so quickly. Anyway, landing in Lyon at 3PM on the Friday guarantees a really hectic Friday (getting car, driving for a couple of hours, signing in, building bike, going for a spin, and still trying to get a decent sleep), so going on Thursday is much more pleasant.

Also, rather than going earlier in the week and getting some cycling in, I added the 'extra' nights after the Marmotte, so it won't affect the performance on the day itself.

Oh yeah, just to put the marker down, I'm going for gold. I've no idea really how hard it is to do, but the hell with it, aim high.

Costs
    Flight cost = €180 approx + €80 to be added later for bike box.

Other costs I'm looking at:

1. Car hire: €100, for tiny 5 door, but big enough to fit bike box
    2. Accommodation: €250 (probably aiming for Grenoble, but currently undecided)
    3. Entry: €90?

5 days cycling in the Alps for under €700, excluding food and drink. I think this would be several hundred euro cheaper than a tour package. Ok, I'm not getting support, but trade-off is worth it.

Currently travelling as a singleton, I'm sure there'll be plenty of us over there to hook up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

2016 wrote: »
    1. Car hire: €100, for tiny 5 door, but big enough to fit bike box...
    Make sure it has folding rear seats - some small cars don't which I discovered to my horror on a recent trip!

Make sure it has folding rear seats - some small cars don't which I discovered to my horror on a recent trip!

Thanks, I always book 5 door cars for this reason - on the assumption that the seats fold down. Europcar seem to be the cheapest car rental right now, and they're reputable, so hopefully they will sort one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Oh jesus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

+ €80 to be added later for bike box.

Don't leave it too long to add the bike to your booking. They usually have 6 spaces and if they're full for either leg you're in trouble.

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Don't leave it too long to add the bike to your booking. They usually have 6 spaces and if they're full for either leg you're in trouble.

Wow, thanks for the heads up, I didn't realise the limits were that tight.

Aer Lingus don't allow you to add the bike when booking (golf clubs, surfboards etc can be), only by calling afterwards. Dumb really, what advantage is excluding bikes like this for Aer Lingus? Can't imagine how pissed off someone would be when they book a flight only to find out a few mins later that there's no space for the bike.

So, I'm booked.

I had a big fight with Aer Lingus over the cost. On one place in their new site it was €40 each way for the bike, on another it says €50. The lower fare is apparently an error, but that was the only one I saw. So I got that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

sbs2010 wrote: »

Oh my God yes. Book your bike right now! As in yesterday!

It can be a complete mare getting through to them, on their premium ten euro a second or whatever it is phone line.

Stupid system. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 marathon50

Hi looks that the 2016 course will be same as this year as
    the road with the blocked tunnel will not be open before
    the end of 2016. I would love to have another go at this
    years route under normal weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I done the Etape in 2013 by myself and very similar to yourself with the car rental and everything. The best thing I done was 2 days before hand took in a decent spin with 1 big climb and that was great preparation.

I also stead in Grenoble as you can cycle to the top of Alp D'heuz from there and also some great climbs even closer.

I stead here and it was fantastic:

http://www.hipark.fr/en/grenoble-en/?gclid=CjwKEAjwyqOwBRDZuIO4p5SV8w0SJAAQoUSwhV7OpaqVsOO8IOmgjQU9NRIAxkrm2jhc424UiAfLzRoCMMLw_wcB

Being able to cook myself and also having a fridge in the room is a big bonus for having cool bottles in the morning!

Well, I've taken the first step.

Flights Dublin-Lyon booked from Thu (30th June) to Tue (5th July) on Aer Lingus. 5 nights.

Booking flights before I have the entry is an acceptable risk.

Had thought about signing up with a tour company for the Marmotte, but costs would be significantly higher for even a 2 night package. So I decided to go DIY.

Also thought about doing it with the minimum stay (Fri-Sun), but that would cost >80% of the 5 night costs, and I reckoned it would be a shame to get in and get out so quickly. Anyway, landing in Lyon at 3PM on the Friday guarantees a really hectic Friday (getting car, driving for a couple of hours, signing in, building bike, going for a spin, and still trying to get a decent sleep), so going on Thursday is much more pleasant.

Also, rather than going earlier in the week and getting some cycling in, I added the 'extra' nights after the Marmotte, so it won't affect the performance on the day itself.

Oh yeah, just to put the marker down, I'm going for gold. I've no idea really how hard it is to do, but the hell with it, aim high.

Costs
    Flight cost = €180 approx + €80 to be added later for bike box.

Other costs I'm looking at:

1. Car hire: €100, for tiny 5 door, but big enough to fit bike box
    2. Accommodation: €250 (probably aiming for Grenoble, but currently undecided)
    3. Entry: €90?

5 days cycling in the Alps for under €700, excluding food and drink. I think this would be several hundred euro cheaper than a tour package. Ok, I'm not getting support, but trade-off is worth it.

Currently travelling as a singleton, I'm sure there'll be plenty of us over there to hook up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

+1 on the DIY route. I have done it both ways, this year I went with an operator. I mainly went with the operator as I wanted a 1st pen number and to have support on the route as it had changed and I wasn't sure about it.

TBH the new route is even better as it loops around itself.

One tip, is on the friday take a car and drive up the Glandon. You will see as you near the top a Cafe to the left, the Glandon takes this left with the Col de Croix de Fer going right. So you head up and take the left and then come back down past the same part after the CdF climb.

This is a great place to leave a bag with clothes etc. Something you don't mind losing (so Aldi armwarmers etc) so that if the day turns out nasty you have a change of kit for the descent. Save you having to carry it with you. Many a few extra tubes/CO2 and gels or whatever. You can the drive up on Sunday and get it, or cycle up some other day

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭goldenboots

Did this in 2014 and was planning to going back in 2016, but not sure what to do now as it won't be the regular route. I really want to go back up the Galibier again, as I struggled there the last time and the descent is fantastic. The Lavets, Mollard and Croix de Fer are not as appealing for the cost.

Anyone that has done both routes, how would you compare them, and what would you prefer?

Did both routes, losing out on the Galibier certainly takes a certain shine off it, but the new course is a tough mother. Made more so this year because of the heat and the lower altitude of the CdF meant that you didn't get the 30 mins or so of the lower temps on the climb up Galibier.

As to which one is harder, very subjective. The recent one is always the freshest and so will seem the hardest, and with the heat this year it really was a brutal day on the bike (just look at the number of drop-outs).

Does that make it a harder/better course? I don't know, but the Mollard/CdF climb is simply relentless and Lacets is a great climb (in hindsight of course!)

Certainly the new course would not put me off doing it. It is a very tough course and a test of you regardless. The decent off the CdF is pretty great as well.

Since you have already done the classic route why not try the new route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Did the Mollard/CdF in the Etape this year and did the Galibier on the Friday before from both sides for a lunchtime spin. It was my 2nd time doing the Galibier and I'd forgotten how tough the last 5k are! It really is relentless once you turn back up from the valley.

Found the last 3k of the Mollard tough going but I was warned about it so kept a bit in the tank for it, I don't think it's as bad as the Galibier, but the overall length could take a lot out of you if you're not ready for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Jesus lads you're making me want to sign up again! I had decided that I was going to go to France for 5 days cycling (maybe even a local sportive while I am there) with a few club mates, and enjoy the time more rather than stressing the bit out about the event the whole time I was there. Reading this is giving me second thoughts!

Did this in 2014 and was planning to going back in 2016, but not sure what to do now as it won't be the regular route. I really want to go back up the Galibier again, as I struggled there the last time and the descent is fantastic. The Lavets, Mollard and Croix de Fer are not as appealing for the cost.

Anyone that has done both routes, how would you compare them, and what would you prefer?

The lack of Galibier/Telegraph was off-putting for me too. This is one reason I added extra days after the Marmotte. I presume I can do those 2 on a different day? So I don't get to do them in the event itself, but will get them done.

I done the Etape in 2013 by myself and very similar to yourself with the car rental and everything. The best thing I done was 2 days before hand took in a decent spin with 1 big climb and that was great preparation.

This I'm not so sure about - although it depends on what you mean by a "decent spin with 1 big climb". I plan to aim to perfectly peak for the Saturday, so i will do a proper taper (although one that is fairly abrupt - ie 7-10 days only) and be fully rested for the Saturday. I'll do 1-2 hours on the Thursday in France if I can, with some brief climbing-pace intervals, then do something very light on Friday.

On the other hand, that's the sports physiology answer, and maybe getting a feel for the gradients might sort me out mentally by eliminating some unknowns. If I arrive in time on the Thursday, I might do the first 1-2km of Alpe D'Huez as part of my spin.

....Can't imagine how pissed off someone would be when they book a flight only to find out a few mins later that there's no space for the bike.....
    I usually ask when booking the flight. They limit it to 10 bikes per flight. I've been caught a few times when travelling with a group and had to get an earlier/later flight.
    fat bloke wrote: »
    ...It can be a complete mare getting through to them, on their premium ten euro a second or whatever it is phone line...
    I never had any bother getting through to them but it is a bit of a pain in the arse compared to Ryanair.

Another thing that bothers me is that they don't issue you with any email/docket/receipt to say that the bike is booked. When I arrive at the airport, I'm always conscious that I have no evidence to show that it is booked.

(It's not a premium line but costs about 30c per minute IIRC).

• Registered Users Posts: 45 marathon50

Had terrible trouble with Aer Lingus 2 years when I tried to book through
    our bikes a week before departure the AL rep on the phone told me their bike allowance was full and that I could not book on the bikes. When I asked her what we were do now she calmly told me to book another flight.
    I tried to explain to her that this was not possible, but there was no talking to her. After half a hour of me ranting on the phone and looking to speak to a manager she put be through to a lad in baggage I explained to him our problem that there was no way of booking through a bike bag on their site. He advised us the best way around that was to book the bike bags as oversize luggage and pay the charge online. We paid for 6 oversize suitcases at 25kg each and had no problems checking through. Have done this now for the last 2 years and it has worked fine everytime. I think when they say the have only room for a certain amount of bikes on a flight the are classing them as wheel on not as
    bike boxes or cases. Compared to Ryanair they are way behind simple to book a bike online on their site.

Question for Leroy42 (or others): you have pretty damn impressive times, so you didn't hold back on the descents. What is the braking requirements on them? I'm asking because I'm considering my wheel choices - alloy or carbon. Many horror stories regarding blowouts with carbon rims, which means I'm pretty much deciding against bringing my carbon clincher front wheel anyway, although I will bring the rear wheel which has a PM. Although I don't brake much on descents. Are these issues at the Marmotte mostly due to inexperienced riders feathering brakes all the way down...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

inexperienced riders feathering brakes all the way down...?

In my opinion, yes.

In the hairpin descents, nearly every corner had someone repairing a puncture.
    I left my carbon clinchers at home and was very deliberate in my braking technique. Either pumping the brakes hard and letting them off again or alternating squeezing left and right (front/back). So there was no continuous prolonged contact and heat build up.

@2016, part of the issues are certainly down to inexperience, it is clear just watching some of the riders 'descending' that they have little skill or even experience in descents. Many of the blowouts seem to stem from people 'sitting' on the brakes, instead of using them when required only.

While there is time to be saved on the descents, since the 1st descent is untimed, so the extent is minimised and certainly the main area is the climbing.

However, carbon rims bring nothing positive to the event (IMO). Since its either up or down, carbon rims don't bring too much to the party over alloy and bring with them the possibility of blow outs. I don't use carbon rims, but I know many that do and have never had a problem with them.

You mention that you don't brake much on descents, I assume you mean over here. Most of our descents or fairly straightish, certainly not much in the way of hairpins. The main problem with the descents over there is that they are steep and twisty and have a large amount of hairpins, so braking is necessary.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment, yes I was pretty happy with the time

.... Although I don't brake much on descents....
    Are you referring to typical Irish descents?

Are you referring to typical Irish descents?

Descents in Irish races where I'd be somewhat towards the aggressive end of the spectrum, descents off the Kerry mountains in sportives etc, plus mountains in Spain/Portugal etc. Some 1000m descents where you feel you hardly hit the brakes at all. Not the Alps though.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Maybe look at doing Le Ardechoise. Did it this year with a few mates. Super friendly, loads of food and water stops. Amazing scenery, in June so not baking hot. Flew to Lyon and rented a place through Air BnB.

http://ardechoise.com/en/Interactive-map/L-Ardechoise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Descents in Irish races where I'd be somewhat towards the aggressive end of the spectrum, descents off the Kerry mountains in sportives etc, plus mountains in Spain/Portugal etc. Some 1000m descents where you feel you hardly hit the brakes at all. Not the Alps though.
    In the Etape I wouldn't use the brakes much other than on hairpins or blind corners, but am I correct in saying the Marmotte doesn't have closed roads? If so, you couldn't really keep to the racing line as easily so would need to take more care on descents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

In the Etape I wouldn't use the brakes much other than on hairpins or blind corners, but am I correct in saying the Marmotte doesn't have closed roads? If so, you couldn't really keep to the racing line as easily so would need to take more care on descents.

I did the Marmotte in 2014 and no, it is not held on Closed roads. Having said that, there was very little traffic on the descents and it really didn't make much difference. Descending the Galibier was fairly easy as there are only a few shap bends and you could see them coming from a long way away. The only traffic I came across was travelling in the same direction as me.

@2016, if you are confident on the descents over here, you'll be fine. There is nothing too bad about them, people talk them up too much.

I find you get higher speeds here as our roads tend be have less hairpins/turns forcing you to slow down and the surfaces over there are generally much better than the 'tarmac' we have to descend on.

As I mentioned already, I think the main problem is that you have too many people on the course who really appear to have little experience of descending, and certainly not at speed or on the type of corners they get.

Just keep your wits about you, if there is a choice between take a chance or hold back then hold back as its not worth the risk.

In the end, your performance will be down to the climbing, look to save energy whilst losing as little time as possible on the descents.

When my mates and me 1st did it, we all descended (the timed) CdF at roughly the same time (about a minute) but since we all climbed the Mollard at different speeds we were not near each other. Point being, if you are a good descender there is nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ladder in me tights

Hi there - Im nearly ready to pull the trigger for Marmotte 2016.
    Has anyone heard if the tunnel with the problem by the Chambon Dam is fixed
    and is it going to be back to the 2014 route via Galibier?
    Thanks S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭goldenboots

Hi there - Im nearly ready to pull the trigger for Marmotte 2016.
    Has anyone heard if the tunnel with the problem by the Chambon Dam is fixed
    and is it going to be back to the 2014 route via Galibier?
    Thanks S

Haven't heard or seen anything official yet but some tour operators are suggesting that it is likely to be the 'new' route that is used again (see http://www.sportstoursinternational.co.uk/cycling/gran-fondo-la-marmotte).

The likelihood that there will be no Galibier has convinced me wait until 2017.

Advertisement