Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marmotte 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

Question for veterans: how much time do you 'lose' at the feed/water stops due to the big queue of riders all looking to top up at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Re having 2k kms done to date...

I just checked there on Strava and at this time two years ago when I did the Marmotte, I had 2400 km done since start of year and I thought that was loads. I wouldn't get fixated about that. Just get out there every chance you get and climb hills. As Leroy says, its the length of the hills that's the big difference so find some long ones.

Some suggestions:

From the entrance to Powerscourt waterfall, up Liam Horner to the Military Road and then South past the Lough Brays to the entrance to the track up to Kippure. You could even head right up to the mast at Kippure.

Down to Laragh via the Sally Gap, over Shay Elliot, then Slieve Maan to the bottom of the far side, then back the same way. You could take in the Wicklow Gap and Turlough Hill too.

Also I think it's a good idea do hill repeats, e.g. up by Cruagh, at sweet spot or threshold maybe once a week for an hour to maintain or increase your power on climbs. It's a good alternative to the endurance slog.

Start tapering two weeks before the event and away you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Anyone know for sure what way we'll get through/round the Tunnels?
    I know this was done-to-death last year as the closures had just happened...but....

From the viaMichelin traffic site, and a few other sites like: http://bike-oisans.com/en/footer/getting-to-oisans I think the tunnel (the main one at Chambon) is still closed.

I see the map on the Sportcommunication site, if ye zoom right in close at the Lac du Chambon, shows dotted lines which seem to be different to the rest of the tunnels on the D1091. I can see the RS1091 road across from it - maybe that might be how we're going to get round it?

https://a.tiles.mapbox.com/v4/sc2015.o4fj57gm/attribution,zoompan,zoomwheel,geocoder,share.html?access_token=pk.eyJ1Ijoic2MyMDE1IiwiYSI6ImNpZm5veG1nYjAxYTh1ZWx5dXNxdDk3bWUifQ.CTK8yoOHKaApLIEaeusarw#17/45.04313/6.15167

Just wondering if anyone had heard confirmation of the route at that point?

Well, this thread is very quiet compared to previous years. Everyone quietly confident...?

What are people's travel plans?

I fly in Thursday to Lyon, rent a car and am staying near Bourg for Thu & Fri night, then Grenoble for Sat, Sun, Mon nights.

Plan to do Madeleine and Croix de Fer on Sunday (probably won't do the Grimpee), and Ventoux on Monday.

2016 wrote: »
    Well, this thread is very quiet compared to previous years...

Ha! Was just thinking the same today actually! I'm away Thursday lunchtime, staying in Huez so meeting my bike on Friday morning hopefully (it's en route with transport company) and get a spin in with at least Alpe d'Huez descent and climb back up at a nice handy pace with stops and photos etc. Weather looks to be alright for the big day, with a few showers and mid 20's in the valley's....mid teens at the finish. Grand for us, not like the heatwave last year!

• Advertisement

.....and very confident! Gonna kick some Alpe ass!!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

@andy69, you are correct, as the tunnel just before the dam itself is the one effected they have created a new road around the dam that brings you back out to join the original route just after the dam.

Makes no material difference to the overall distance. So when you are descending down from Galibier you will take a sharp left off the main road before rejoining some 5k later on.

Here is a video of the new road;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58B7gHzfcsE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

andy69 wrote: »
    Ha! Was just thinking the same today actually! I'm away Thursday lunchtime, staying in Huez so meeting my bike on Friday morning hopefully (it's en route with transport company) and get a spin in with at least Alpe d'Huez descent and climb back up at a nice handy pace with stops and photos etc. Weather looks to be alright for the big day, with a few showers and mid 20's in the valley's....mid teens at the finish. Grand for us, not like the heatwave last year!

I'm not doing the Marmotte but can you tell me what transport company did you use and how much it was. Was it part of a multi shipment of bikes or just your own. Cheers

I'm not doing the Marmotte but can you tell me what transport company did you use and how much it was. Was it part of a multi shipment of bikes or just your own. Cheers

No probs yeah....I used shipmytribike, local company from Longford and they pick up from mullingar or tullamore or Lucan about a week before the event. Was 275 in total I think, including a bag which travels with your bike. They only cover large events though....so if you're just going on hols yourself then unless there was something on nearby I'm not sure if they would be to assist (unless maybe if a gang of yee were heading somewhere....maybe if they got enough bikes they might make a run?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

heads up folks, there is a lot of industrial unrest in France at the moment, everything from baggage handlers to la poste, bin men & trains.

if you are planning on using public transport to get there keep your eyes on the website for whomwever you are due to travel with. Could you immagine how pissed you would be after training your tail off for months, paying whatever for everything to find that its all gone petetong and you cant get to the start/get to your accomodation or home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Farloo

Yeah I used ShipMyTriBike last year, was a great service. Best of luck to everyone doing it again this year, would love to be doing it again! One piece of advice I would have is do it at your own pace, don't get caught up in the big numbers and go too fast early on, it's a long day in the saddle! Get food and drink on at the stops and hopefully it won't be as warm as last year! Also, if you get over a couple of days early and can do the Alpe D'huez it would be a good idea, as after 160K done its nice to know you did it already, will get you up it again!

Looks like rain ... :(

2016 wrote: »
    Looks like rain ... :(
    Add your reply here.
    Booooo :-(
    Yeah looking ****e really. Hopefully we might get a dry start at least - would be brutal to be soaked right from the off.

Lovely for tomorrow and Sunday too...so close.....
    http://www.meteo-france.mobi/home#!ville_detailville_380520_2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

I know a few people doing it on saturday. Best of luck to all :) serious kudos. I hope the temperatures aren't as bad as last year. Will be a great feather in the cap to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

If anyone is looking for accommodation in alpe d'huez centre pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Best wishes to all taking part tomorrow. Didn't make it myself due to under-preparation and family commitments.
    Looking forward to reading the reports - please do post them up here.

Wow! That was a tough auld day! Absolutely delighted with my time, I was aiming for under 9hrs moving time and paced myself to get in just under it. Top of galibier was closed because of an ice fall so that last km was out and we had to go through the tunnel. Was gutted about that...still think I would have done the sub-9 but would have had to push it harder on Alpe d'Huez :-)

Lashed down rain off the galibier so that was absolutely freezing, but still a savage run down to the valley.

Really enjoyed that. Happy days :-)

Lying on a bed in Grenoble trying to summon up the energy to shower and eat.

I came home in 8hrs 10min, so hit the primary goal of gold time (<8:39), but not the stretch goal of sub 8.

No bloody way am I doing the TT up Alpe D'Huez tomorrow, so anyone who wants an entry PM me :):)

Bigger race report tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Don't mind the moving times! Official chip times or gtfo! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

6:51

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Leroy42 wrote: »
    6:51

Nice to finally meet you on boards, Senior Contador. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Well done lads. Super jealous. What was the weather like in the end?

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Well done lads. Super jealous. What was the weather like in the end?

Was ok actually....temps were very much in the range we could handle - nothing at all like you poor guys had to endure last year. Only hard part I thought, was the rain on the galibier....depending on where ye started and how fast ye were it would have made a big difference because of the cold if it caught ye at the top

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Well I'm for France next Tuesday for 5 nights of cycling then 2 weeks holiday. Bad news is I can't cycle as I am still plagued with tendonitis! I'm not having much luck with France. La Marmotte next year maybe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

I switched my entry from the Marmotte Alps to the one in the Pyrenees. Training had gone well up until early June when I was laid low with a virus. I'm getting back into it now, but its dented my confidence a little. I'm now considering just heading down to Argeles and spending the few days cycling around. Obviously I'd like to do the event but my decision is whether to incur any extra cost it might take to keep my options open.

I'm wondering if someone can clarify something for me. The website says
    A valid license or medical certificate is compulsary to take part in the events of the Marmotte Granfondo Series. For the Randonnées this is not compulsary but most definitely recommended.

Whats the difference between 'Randonnee' and 'Granfondo'? The one I signed up for is the Marmotte Granfondo - I just don't see any distinction between it and a Randonnee being made on the website anywhere (though I'll keep looking).

I only took out a leisure license this year as I knew I wouldn't be racing. Whats the minimum license requirement? I presume you need a competitive license?

And lastly (sorry if these are stupid/obvious questions).

It says 'valid license OR medical certificate'. So, to clarify, the medical cert isn't compulsory?

I guess I need to weigh up what I need to do to meet the requirements, and how much that will cost (considering I'm only about 50/50 about actually doing it)

thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

ok, I see this in the FAQ
    The medical certificate should demonstrate to which degree you are physically suitable to take part in competition. The certificate must be signed and include a date. According to French law the certificate cannot be older than one year on the day of the event. Here you can download an example of a certificate. (+ lien) In terms of licenses we accept only the following: FFC, FFCT, FFTRI, FFGT and UFOLEP (competition with medical certificate), valid for the running season. For participants from abroad we only accept cycling licenses (competition) and triathlon licenses (competition).

so I guess this whittles my questions to;

- Is it a case of either/or as regards medical cert/license?
    - what is the minimum level of competitive license I'll get away with?

thanks again

Edit: I guess if I just knew what others did, that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

1bryan wrote: »
    ok, I see this in the FAQ

so I guess this whittles my questions to;

- Is it a case of either/or as regards medical cert/license?
    - what is the minimum level of competitive license I'll get away with?

thanks again

Edit: I guess if I just knew what others did, that would be great.

I rode a GF in Italy last year and my leisure licence was fine. It has a UCI code on it. But it being Italy they were not to fussed.

Sorry to actually answer ur question . Limited Competition should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ladder in me tights

The weather was great, (I was very worried about the heat from 2015). We had a bit of rain in the valley after the Galibier but was I was down low enough at that stage. I met an Irish Guy at the end who got so cold descending from the top of Galibier that he went into a little shop half way down and bought a sheepskin jacket and wore it to the bottom of the Alpe Duez.

A few people gave me the same advice i.e.: take it nice and steady up the Glandon, no faster that 2h to 2:15, then eat, drink and try relax for a few minutes at the top - you make the time back 3 fold on the Galibier and the Alpe Duez.

A Very tough but wonderful experience. Got home in 8:30hrs (chip time)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

11:24

Not nearly as fast as some of you (kudos to one and all) but I'm delighted with it. Goal was to finish within cut off and with this in mind I had target times to reach certain milestones en route and I was within a few minutes of each one. I was very efficient at breaks, (eat, stretch, get moving again). Average heart rate of 132 with only 12 mins in threshold indicates (I think?) excellent endurance which was the focus of my training. Would need to work on speed to improve this time and my descending is still my Achilles heel. I'm a nervous descender and I reckon better descending could have comfortably shaved up to an hour off this time as well as enjoying them more!

Nonetheless delighted to have this achievement completed. Would seriously consider going to the Alps again but with a group to explore and cycle about rather than take part in an event with cut-offs, congestion etc to worry about.

rb

Advertisement