Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marmotte 2016

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

After a bit more research looks like I will be flying into Lyon, as another poster rightfully pointed out Grenoble is only opening during the ski season.

I'll be making my way via public transport and there looks to be a direct bus from Lyon airport to Le Bourg d'Oisans but getting up to L'Alpe d-Huez looks logistically challenging, buses aren't as regular in the summer and taxis cost a fortune. For anyone else looking there's still loads of accommodation in L'Alpe d-Huez at very reasonable prices.

In effect I think I'll stay in Le Bourg but wonder after the finishline can you cycle down the the mountain while others are still going up to finish (I'm hoping I won't be the last one finishing!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

golfer555 wrote: »
    ...getting up to L'Alpe d-Huez looks logistically challenging, buses...

...after the finishline can you cycle down the the mountain while others are still going up to finish...?

I noticed last year that the buses had special carriers on them, at the front, where people could put their bikes on. Not sure how often they run, but I do recall seeing a few of them alright.

Yeah you can cycle back down to Bourg after the finish - you could even take the other route (go right at the big roundabout past the finishline area) and that'll take ye down a lovely descent to the section where there is a median strip so ye don't have to worry about passing tired souls coming up to the end of their day (I saw loads and loads of rather smug looking riders heading back to Bourg as I was crawling up to the finish. feckers :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 7 joxer72

golfer555 wrote:
    getting up to L'Alpe d-Huez looks logistically challenging, buses aren't as regular in the summer and taxis cost a fortune.

Yes, Ive also heard that there are buses up and down that take bikes.... not seen them though.

On race day you can cycle down from the top after/during the race, just beware that on the way UP if you get to the base after 6:30 they'll take your timing chip off. I don't *think* they stop you going up though???

If you stay in Alpe d'Huez just remember that any rides you go on before or after race day will require you to cycle back to the top! There's a decent flat route through the valley from Bourg.

Where did you hear that registration opens on the 9th?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 2old4this

Hi all,

I've signed up for 2017 with Sportactive. Motivation is not great at the moment.

Anyone got a training plan I could follow? it might help to get me out on the bike.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Doc07

2old4this wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've signed up for 2017 with Sportactive. Motivation is not great at the moment.

Anyone got a training plan I could follow? it might help to get me out on the bike.

Thanks

I'm going with Sportactive also. I'm looking for a training plan/ inspiration also!
    I'm very limited time wise until January but trying to get out for one decent spin at the weekends.
    I've a perfectly good turbo trainer in the corner of the living room but unfortunately it is looking very lonely and unloved at the moment.
    PM if you get any good ideas, maybe we can motivate each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I wouldn't worry too much about a training plan at this early stage. Its 8 months.

Main thing at the moment is to get going. Get some consistency. Maybe 2/3 nights a week, even if its just an hour on the turbo with a 2 or 3 hour cycle at the weekend.

You also need to have particular target set down. Think backwards from the event itself. As I said, no need for a specific plan, but in my experience if you don't have a goal in mind then it is too easy to simply stay in bed on those cold wet mornings.

And change your mindset from simply going for a cycle to training. Sounds small, but tell yourself, and those affected, that this isn't a negotiable calendar, it might sound like just another cycle to them but its a stepping stone for you.

In saying all that, don't get too worried if you miss is a few here and there, that is where the consistency comes in. Better to get 3 two hour sessions in a week rather than kill yourself with a 5 hour slog on Sunday (don't worry there is plenty of time for that).

Now is a good time to get some testing done. Find a 20 minute climb and give it a good go. HR, power even perceived effort is fine. Its just a base line. Are you comfortable climbing (you will have to be by July 17), do you prefer to climb sitting or standing? Can you do both handily enough? I was never particularly a good climbing and certainly not standing, but I would routinely train at 5 minutes out of the saddle either on a climb or on the turbo to get more comfortable. It is useful to have the ability to change on the climbs.

I never went to the longer climbs during winter, Feb at the earliest, as you never can rely on the weather, but you can get plenty of good quality work on the flat. Pick areas that you do push for 10 minutes and work on pushing yourself. 2 r 3 of those on a 3 cycle cycle is more than enough each week.

Your main goal is to come out of February with a really good base. Mix up the intensity, yes you don't have to go flat out all the time but you also are wasting time simply taking it easy all the time. You will notice others start to ramp up their training in Jan/Feb but you can afford to hold off as they are probably aiming for racing season and unless you have a good base you risk during yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

You've just signed up for one of Europe's toughest sportives in one of Europe's most magnificent settings... and you need motivation....???

*Does not compute*

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

2old4this wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks

How much is it with Sportactive, I didn't know you could sign up before the official registration?

Hi,

Sportactive are charging €899 not including flights. Aer Lingus flights are €172.

It's expensive, but once in a lifetime (for me anyway).

You've just signed up for one of Europe's toughest sportives in one of Europe's most magnificent settings... and you need motivation....???

*Does not compute*

I have it in my mind to get out of bed this weekend and go with club. Training starts now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement