Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity hospitals in Cork

Options
  • 07-09-2015 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi

I am in a situation where I have to spend my 2 trimesters in Ballinasloe portiuncula and delivery should be in Cork. I am in my 1st trimester and I know it's too early to worry about these things but I just want to be prepared. Will my consultant recommend me to Cork maternity clinic and do yu have any suggestions for me. I might be moving to Douglas , Cork hopefully next year so any suggestions for Hospitals?

And I was thinking of Semi Private , but I guess not anyways I will be changing clinics, semi private makes no sense :-( Isn't it ?

Hoping to hear from you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Theres just the one maternity hospital at CUH accross from Wilton shopping centre. Its an excellent facility built about 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

CUMH is the one and only Cork Maternity hospital. It's very good, don't worry a bit. Easy to get to from douglas as well with the flyovers on the N25.

Delivery suites are excellent, everything is there for you, there's a pool if you want it (think you have to request it in advance) and the epidural I got the last two times was the one where you get a little boost button, so you can adjust how much pain relief you want. Worked great for me, could move about and feel my legs and how to push etc, but without the exhaustion of the pain. My buddies around the country tell me it's the old-fashioned all-or-nothing epidural most other places.

In Cork, I was public, Each time I've been in a two bed room after the deliveries, most of the rooms are like this I think. There are also 4 bed rooms, and single rooms. No idea what semi-private in Cork gets you, didn't think it was available, but feel free to inquire with the private clinic. I thought it was public or private with no semi option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Semi-private mat is only available in Dublin.

The maternity hospitals in Cork all got conglomerated into the CUMH in 2007. Public hospital and top notch as the others say. Best wishes with pregnancy and move! Everywhere is easy to get to in Cork, and Douglas is only a small few miles from CUMH with good dual carriageway link as pwurple says, so you'll be laughing. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

According to their magazine semi private is available in CUMH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

pooch90 wrote: »
    According to their magazine semi private is available in CUMH.

What does it say it is?

Or do they mean the semi-private room? You get those on public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Oh maybe that's what they meant, page xiv discharge section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Yeah sorry, I was only going by my health insurance provider. Don't know why I thought it was universal!

Advertisement