Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can get efibre, but its slower than ADSL?

Options
  • 07-09-2015 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I was looking at the efibre line checker on the Eircom website to see if I can get efibre and it says I can but the estimated download speed is only 12MB surely that cant be right? I currently get about 17MB

Is this a known problem? or is that seriously all my line is capable of I would'nt have thought so because there is a cabinet very close to my house

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

mr.noobie wrote: »
    I was looking at the efibre line checker on the Eircom website to see if I can get efibre and it says I can but the estimated download speed is only 12MB surely that cant be right? I currently get about 17MB

Is this a known problem? or is that seriously all my line is capable of I would'nt have thought so because there is a cabinet very close to my house
    Hi mr.noobie

It's quite a rare occurrence but it can happen - if you would like to PM me your land line number I will look in to this further.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

Hi mr.noobie

It's quite a rare occurrence but it can happen - if you would like to PM me your land line number I will look in to this further.

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks, number sent

Thanks mr.noobie

I'll be back to you a little later today

Cheers
    Al

Thanks mr.noobie

Cheers
    Al
    Hi Alan, any update?

Thanks mr.noobie

Cheers
    Al
    Hi Alan, any update?
    Hi mr.noobie

I'm awaiting clarification on this from our networks team - sincere aplogies for the delays but I'll get back to you the minute I have an update.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Thanks mr.noobie

Cheers
    Al
    Hi Alan, any update?
    Hi mr.noobie

I'm awaiting clarification on this from our networks team - sincere aplogies for the delays but I'll get back to you the minute I have an update.

Thanks
    Al
    Any update on this Alan?

Thanks mr.noobie

Cheers
    Al
    Hi Alan, any update?
    Hi mr.noobie

Thanks
    Al
    Any update on this Alan?
    Hi mr.noobie

Yes I have been updated by Networks with more information - apologies for the delays. Unfortunately this is the case, efibre speeds will be slower than your existing speeds.

In this instance your existing speeds are a reflection of your line is currently connected to the exchange which has a 6 to 8Km reach. Expected Speeds will degrade over distance between 2 and 8Km. 

eFibre has only a 2Km reach and speeds degrade up to a maximum cut off point at 2Km.

Your line served by a cabinet located over approx 1.5Km away I'm afraid - this is ultimately down to eircoms infrastructural deployment of cable paths and I'm sorry to say there nothing that can be done to change this.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks mr.noobie

Cheers
    Al
    Hi Alan, any update?
    Hi mr.noobie

Thanks
    Al
    Any update on this Alan?
    Hi mr.noobie

Yes I have been updated by Networks with more information - apologies for the delays. Unfortunately this is the case, efibre speeds will be slower than your existing speeds.

In this instance your existing speeds are a reflection of your line is currently connected to the exchange which has a 6 to 8Km reach. Expected Speeds will degrade over distance between 2 and 8Km. 

eFibre has only a 2Km reach and speeds degrade up to a maximum cut off point at 2Km.

Your line served by a cabinet located over approx 1.5Km away I'm afraid - this is ultimately down to eircoms infrastructural deployment of cable paths and I'm sorry to say there nothing that can be done to change this.

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks for the thorough response Alan.

However I don't understand how my line can be served by a cabinet over 1.5km away from me?

Judging from the Fibre Broadband Network Coverage Map of Tramore, Waterford on your website there is a whole load of cabinets that are near my house I attached an image.

The red marker is my location and the green dots are all the cabinets located nearby, all of the cabinets are within 0.5km of my house the closet being only 100meters from my house.

Are sure this Isn't a mistake? There's plenty of people living near by and getting speeds of up to 50mb so I cant understand how my line would vary so greatly.

Thanks mr.noobie

Cheers
    Al
    Hi Alan, any update?
    Hi mr.noobie

Thanks
    Al
    Any update on this Alan?
    Hi mr.noobie

Thanks
    Al

However I don't understand how my line can be served by a cabinet over 1.5km away from me?

Judging from the Fibre Broadband Network Coverage Map of Tramore, Waterford on your website there is a whole load of cabinets that are near my house I attached an image.

The red marker is my location and the green dots are all the cabinets located nearby, all of the cabinets are within 0.5km of my house the closet being only 100meters from my house.

Are sure this Isn't a mistake? There's plenty of people living near by and getting speeds of up to 50mb so I cant understand how my line would vary so greatly.

Thanks mr.noobie

Cheers
    Al
    Hi Alan, any update?
    Hi mr.noobie

Thanks
    Al
    Any update on this Alan?
    Hi mr.noobie

Thanks
    Al

Hi mr.noobie

I can fully understand why you would feel this way but there is no mistake - it can occur at times that a line is served by a cabinet much further away than other cabinets closer by - this is ultimately down to infrastructural decisions for the health of the whole network in the area and cannot be changed. That being said any negative sentiment in response to this new is fully understood however I can assure you that there is nothing further eircom can do to improve this situation

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement