Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental price in Dublin a disgrace!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,916 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The newspaper in the photos of that rental is from October 2008.
    (http://www.irishtimes.com/news/regulator-requests-new-business-plans-from-six-banks-1.900207 is the headline story)

Take your own assumptions about why its not been rented for that long!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Pricey alright.

Looks like whoever is renting it out has plenty of cash too - there's a single copy of the Irish Times in every room.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

I viewed a place which was advertised as a one bed in Phibsboro, it was €900 a month for a small room with a couch, a bed, a cooker and a toilet, its a nightmare if your looking for somewhere that doesnt involve sharing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Let's ease off the sensationalist language please

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Stacksey wrote: »
    Is it getting out of hand? are people paying rent and struggling for the rest of the month?

You could get a nicer place in the suburbs for cheaper:

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/balbriggan/bl589-harbour-view-balbriggan-dublin-1585642/

I'm not trying to justify current rents on an objective basis, but it is what it is and people have to make choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

That place seems to be on the market months, I find it odd that they are still looking for that amount of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Remember a time when you could rent a house anywhere in the country affordably?

What % of your salary do people generally spend on rent?

Lux23 wrote: »
    That place seems to be on the market months, I find it odd that they are still looking for that amount of money.

Somebody will eventually bite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

Remember a time when you could rent a house anywhere in the country affordably?

no actually........

• Advertisement

I would say a few people did and then moved out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I viewed a place which was advertised as a one bed in Phibsboro, it was €900 a month for a small room with a couch, a bed, a cooker and a toilet, its a nightmare if your looking for somewhere that doesnt involve sharing!!

I share with two others in a beautiful modern apartment in Clontarf, which is a great area to live. All for €550.

I'd take that over what you're looking for any day. Perhaps sharing is the wise option here?

Saipanne wrote: »
    I share with two others in a beautiful modern apartment in Clontarf, which is a great area to live. All for €550.

I'd take that over what you're looking for any day. Perhaps sharing is the wise option here?

Yes i think you are right, i'm not too old at 35 to house share i hope!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Yes i think you are right, i'm not too old at 35 to house share i hope!!

I'm the same age, as are my housemates. You should be able to find your own age group out there.

Mod note

Off topic and racist posts deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Sadler32

I am renting at the moment in clontarf. It is a one bedroom, for 1250 a month. I am in the process of buying a 4 bed house and the monthly repayment will be the same.
    I am just lucky I had my deposit saved before I started renting otherwise I could not afford to save and pay the rent....

I haven't a hope of saving for a deposit at the moment either. Someone will have to die before I get the money together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Saipanne wrote: »
    I'm the same age, as are my housemates. You should be able to find your own age group out there.

Living with people when middle aged is only a temporary solution.

At 35 it might sound reasonable. In 5 years time? In ten?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Surely the rise in rent is due to supply vs demand? Is it impossible to discuss demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Living with people when middle aged is only a temporary solution.

In Dublin it can be the only and permanent solution if you are single unless you earn around 100k.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah It's ridiculous, and the places are actually shocking here as well, good ones are jsut over the top expensive.
    L1011 wrote: »
    The newspaper in the photos of that rental is from October 2008.
    (http://www.irishtimes.com/news/regulator-requests-new-business-plans-from-six-banks-1.900207 is the headline story)

Take your own assumptions about why its not been rented for that long!
    It was probably rented fine, they just use the same old photos when re-renting.
    What % of your salary do people generally spend on rent?
    I think people say 30%, I'm thinking of changing to 50% to actually have somewhere nice enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

What's the reason for putting a newspaper in the photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Surely the rise in rent is due to supply vs demand? Is it impossible to discuss demand.

Yeah its like saying cars dont contribute to emissions because you like cars, completely illogical

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lucena wrote: »
    What's the reason for putting a newspaper in the photos?

At the time to show that the pictures were recent, or else he kidnapped the apartment and wanted to show it was still alive. I assume nobody paid the ransom as it should be put out of it's misery.

Closed pending review

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement