Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard Drive Question - How to stop HDD spinning down?

Options
  • 07-09-2015 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I thought I was being clever and bought an Hybrid SSD Hard Drive for the Xbox One. But, I have noticed that the drive seems to spin down after not being in use and you have to wait for it to spin back up before anything loads (you can hear it spin up).

The Hard drive I bought is a Seagate ST2000DX001 2TB Desktop 3.5 inch SSHD Internal Solid State Hybrid Drive and bought an external enclosure (TeckNet® 3.5 inch USB 3.0 Hard Drive Disk HDD External Enclosure) that is mains powered.

The problem, of course, is that any speed benefits of potentially faster load times is shot because it seems to have powered down.

Has anyone any experience with either of these models or any idea how to turn off this apparent power saving mode on the Hard Drive?

Thanks in advance for assistance.

Comments

Is the game you are playing installed on it ? Surely the disc would be accessed often enough during play to prevent the disc sleeping?

Other than that without access to OS sittings like in windows to prevent the drive sleeping I can't see a solution :confused:

Edit: I know there was a seagate dashboard/ freeagent goflex app for windows that let you see the sleep interval but not sure if this would be any use or if the setting was applied at OS or hard disc level and if it would be lost once formatted for xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Thanks for the reply.

All the games / apps are installed on it, but if (for example) you are watching Netflix or TV for an hour and then go to launch a game, you can hear the HDD spin up and you have to wait for that to happen before the game loads.

If you have fast resume for games enabled, where it should pick up where you were last in the game, it is 50-50 if the game will restart correctly depending in whether the HDD needs to spin up or not.

I was hoping that there was a firmware tool or something that could be used to change the settings. I'll have a look for the dashboard / app you mention and hopefully one of them will help and fingers crossed they are not just Windows settings.

Advertisement