Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Internet & High Ping - Unusual For Us - Possible Fault?

Options
  • 07-09-2015 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Eircom,

Over the last week to 10 days we are having an issue with our broadband speed and ping. 

I've been running speed tests during this time and what started as an issue that appeared to occur at peak times only is now happening more and more often at all times throughout the day/night. 

We're in a very rural area so usually get a maximum speed of around 2.5mbs and low double figure ping which is fine (it's the best of a very bad bunch around here) and doesn't/didn't really fluctuate that much. However, more often than not of late we are getting very slow speeds and high ping which means we can't stream or game and it's a struggle to even browse. For example, I ran a speed test 20 minutes ago which gave me speeds of about 2.4mbs and a low ping which is perfect, however that same speed test now returns a speed of 0.35mbs and ping of over 700, basically unusable for anything other than (extremely slow) browsing. Lately this has been the case in the morning, during the day, at night, in the early hours of the morning etc.

The only other issue we have ever had with the internet here was around 18 months ago which seemed to be a nationwide issue based on following posts on Boards and to be fair it was resolved fairly quickly so it's quite unusual for us to have trouble.

All of this leads me to think there may be a fault somewhere either on the line or perhaps with my router or something. Would it be possible to PM you our number so someone can check this out for me please?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Paully D wrote: »
    Hi Eircom,

Over the last week to 10 days we are having an issue with our broadband speed and ping. 

I've been running speed tests during this time and what started as an issue that appeared to occur at peak times only is now happening more and more often at all times throughout the day/night. 

We're in a very rural area so usually get a maximum speed of around 2.5mbs and low double figure ping which is fine (it's the best of a very bad bunch around here) and doesn't/didn't really fluctuate that much. However, more often than not of late we are getting very slow speeds and high ping which means we can't stream or game and it's a struggle to even browse. For example, I ran a speed test 20 minutes ago which gave me speeds of about 2.4mbs and a low ping which is perfect, however that same speed test now returns a speed of 0.35mbs and ping of over 700, basically unusable for anything other than (extremely slow) browsing. Lately this has been the case in the morning, during the day, at night, in the early hours of the morning etc.

The only other issue we have ever had with the internet here was around 18 months ago which seemed to be a nationwide issue based on following posts on Boards and to be fair it was resolved fairly quickly so it's quite unusual for us to have trouble.

All of this leads me to think there may be a fault somewhere either on the line or perhaps with my router or something. Would it be possible to PM you our number so someone can check this out for me please?

Hi Paully D

I'll be happy to look in to this further for you, please PM me your land line number and I'll get back to you as soon as I can (it may be tomorrow morning before I have an update though) - If you would prefer a faster response please contact my colleges in WebChat technical support www.eircom.net/chatnow or on free phone 1901

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hi Eircom,

Hi Paully D

I'll be happy to look in to this further for you, please PM me your land line number and I'll get back to you as soon as I can (it may be tomorrow morning before I have an update though) - If you would prefer a faster response please contact my colleges in WebChat technical support www.eircom.net/chatnow or on free phone 1901

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Al,

Many thanks for your reply. I've PM'd my landline number on just now as suggested.

Hi Eircom,

Hi Paully D

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Al,

Many thanks for your reply. I've PM'd my landline number on just now as suggested.
    Thanks for you PM Paully D

You're sport on to be honest - there is a fault on your line and yes it does seem to be externally.

This will need to be logged to engineers to asses and resolve. I'm afraid I'll be unable to log this myself as direct contact with support is required (although I will of course log this correspondence and my findings to your account notes) Please contact the broadband support centre to log this to engineers -  You can contact technical support on instant webchat at eircom.ie/chatnow or on free phone 1901.

Once the issue is logged for engineers you will receive a reference number and the average timeframe for a full resolution can take up to 3 working days

Thanks

Al

Hi Eircom,

Hi Paully D

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Al,

You're sport on to be honest - there is a fault on your line and yes it does seem to be externally.

This will need to be logged to engineers to asses and resolve. I'm afraid I'll be unable to log this myself as direct contact with support is required (although I will of course log this correspondence and my findings to your account notes) Please contact the broadband support centre to log this to engineers -  You can contact technical support on instant webchat at eircom.ie/chatnow or on free phone 1901.

Once the issue is logged for engineers you will receive a reference number and the average timeframe for a full resolution can take up to 3 working days

Thanks

Al
    Al,

Thanks very much for your swift response. It's much appreciated.

I'll give them a shout later this afternoon.

Hi Eircom,

Hi Paully D

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Al,

Thanks

Al
    Al,

Thanks very much for your swift response. It's much appreciated.

I'll give them a shout later this afternoon.
    No problem at all Paully_D

Al

• Advertisement

Just to update on this - I spoke to a very helpful guy in broadband support. He got me to do a few things, ran a couple of tests and agreed that there was a fault. He has requested an engineer to fix same which will be done within 2-3 working days.

If it gets fixed within the 2-3 working days I was told on the phone then it has been a flawless customer service experience from start to finish. 

Very impressed so far.

Just to update on this - I spoke to a very helpful guy in broadband support. He got me to do a few things, ran a couple of tests and agreed that there was a fault. He has requested an engineer to fix same which will be done within 2-3 working days.

If it gets fixed within the 2-3 working days I was told on the phone then it has been a flawless customer service experience from start to finish. 

Very impressed so far.
    Thanks for the update Paully D :)

Al

Advertisement