Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you use for long term backup?

Options
  • 07-09-2015 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

How much can you rely on a hard disk for this? Where do you store it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have all my important documents and photos on 2 separate HDDs, plus also burnt to CD/DVD.

EDIT having said that, they are all stored at the same address, so if the house burns down, kinda buggered!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Two hard drives in my pc, some stuff is on usbs as well and I put alot of stuff on my one drive as I get 1tb free through work although for the really important stuff it's nearly be worth it to me to pay to have it on one drive as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I keep the important stuff duplicated in two places.

Cloud. There are loads of options, but I use google Drive for my scanned important documents and long term data, the paid version. Could be hacked, but I've turned on the 2 step-verification and my passwords are ridiculously complex and changed frequently. I like that it's remote, so if my house burns down, the data is safe at least.

On a solid state drive (which is synced to the cloud). Accessible if I lose my network connection.

DVD/CD is too iffy for me. I've had a lot of cd/dvd failures over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

I'll just say that I have two 1tb drives...one is working and one is a carbon copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭T-Bird

pwurple wrote: »
    I keep the important stuff duplicated in two places.

Cloud. There are loads of options, but I use google Drive for my scanned important documents and long term data, the paid version. Could be hacked, but I've turned on the 2 step-verification and my passwords are ridiculously complex and changed frequently. I like that it's remote, so if my house burns down, the data is safe at least.

On a solid state drive (which is synced to the cloud). Accessible if I lose my network connection.

DVD/CD is too iffy for me. I've had a lot of cd/dvd failures over the years.

+1 But use Hubic and Onedrive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hardback notebook and biro. Filing cabinet for docs. Hdd for movies and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Be wary of bit rot if you're talking about long term offline storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I have one of those little 2TB Seagate file-and-print servers. Handy enough. I also have some odds-and-sods on Ye Drive of Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

2x 2tb ext drives, hundreds of dvds and 1024 floppy discs.

Advertisement