Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Football Final Kerry -v- Dublin WARNING POST #110

• 07-09-2015 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

It is with the greatest of pleasure that I start this thread.... :D

It's probably the final match up that a lot of people predicted at the start of the year.

However, on behalf of my own county and that other shower of seal killing, Peig inflicting, Yerra inducing, skinny jeans wearing, cute hoors, we'd like to apologize for all the rare aul times Dublin v Kerry guff you'll have to put with for the next 2 weeks. It ain't gonna be easy for any of us.

So have at it lads & lassies !

(PS Dubs by 4.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Well,

Might as well get the ball rolling on this.

So many talking points. The last two meetings were the 2011 Final which Kerry lead for night on 60 mins before Dublin got a goal and Cluxton won it deep in injury time.

The second match was the 2013 semi final which was simply the best game I have ever watched live where Kerry destroyed the Dublin full back line and plundered 3 goals in the first 19 minutes before Dublin picked away to come back after a surging run by Tomas O Se lead to a wide, Cluxton pinging the kick out to his now unmarked man and get a goal to kill the game off as a contest.

There is no doubt that neither team will set out their stall to play that brand of effervesient attacking football for the final. Both teams will play defensively looking to counter.

Both sets of forward lines are lethal, both benches are brimming with experience and game changers. Both have top managers.

It really will come down to the toss of a coin and what team has more mettle on the day. The usual bandwagoners who havent watched a game all year will come in making wild unsubstantiated predictions but in reality it is doubtful there will be more than three points between them either way coming into the final few moments.

For Kerry, I expect the full forward line to consist of Donaghy, Gooch and James o Donoghue. Donaghy for me will start as his record in the finals is very good, and not to forget he is the captain. He is unlikely to last the match however with Geaney being sprung in the second half to stretch the Dublin defence.

There are unlikely to be any surprises in the Dublin team with an unchanged side from the actual team that started against Mayo expected.

The key will be whatever team defends better as both teams have lethal forwards. This will come down to tactics and work rate. Who will get the tactical battle correct on the day is a lottery.

I expect Kerry to target Dublin's short Kick outs and Dublin to run at Kerry's backline as Tyrone did.

If the ref is finikey on the day I would expect Sheehan to be on the field for the second half to nail those frees. His free taking could be the difference in the game.

History is a funny thing however and looking an eerie historical pattern,

1955 Dublin Mayo Semi final. Dublin win Replay. Kerry win the All Ireland.
    1985 Dublin Mayo Semi final. Dublin win Replay. Kerry win the All Ireland
    2015 Dublin Mayo Semi final. Dublin win Replay. [ ] win the All Ireland

Kerry for me by 2 or 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Kerry by just a single point - BJ Keane or Paul Geaney to score it.

Can't wait should be a cracking final!

Ciarraí abù!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

For as long as I can remember I have always said you can't count Kerry out. However if they play the way they did against Tyrone I'm certain Dublin will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

1955, 1985 and 2015 are the 3 Back To the Future years also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

It's going to be a hard fought game and most probably going to be won by a moment or 2 of individual brilliance.
    Just depends which side has the more talented attacking potency imo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Threads merged.
    Second time in a couple of days that a match thread has been written by two different people at the exact same time :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It is with the greatest of pleasure that I start this thread.... :D

It's probably the final match up that a lot of people predicted at the start of the year.

However, on behalf of my own county and that other shower of seal killing, Peig inflicting, Yerra inducing, skinny jeans wearing, cute hoors, we'd like to apologize for all the rare aul times Dublin v Kerry guff you'll have to put with for the next 2 weeks. It ain't gonna be easy for any of us.

So have at it lads & lassies !

(PS Dubs by 4.)

You forgot 'eagle poisoning'.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

This will be decided by the man in black and that means the best professional cheaters, jersey pullers, sledgers, and downright bad baxtards.
    I know who they are but not saying like.................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

David Coldrick is the referee.

Was hoping for Eddie Kinsella, but seeing as he got the Semi-Final Coldrick is the next best.

Neither side can have much to complain about I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

DDC1990 wrote: »

Was hoping for Eddie Kinsella, but seeing as he got the Semi-Final Coldrick is the next best.

Until he pulls a hamstring in the first few mins and Dublin Joe, the stand by ref, takes over !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

DDC1990 wrote: »

I had my doubts about Kinsella and was dreading the SF. But he was pretty much on the ball for everything. Best performance of the year from a ref.

I was kinda hoping that Gough would get it. But he has the minor. I'd say he'll get the final or a SF next year. Provided Meath don't get there.

Yes I know. :) Meath. Ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Kerry Team Announced:
    The team, captained by David Moran is as follows:
    1. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
    2. Fionn Fitzgerald Dr Crokes
    3. Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore
    4. Shane Enright Tarbert
    5. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion
    6. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
    7. Killian Young Renard
    8. Anthony Maher Duagh
    9. David Moran (C) Kerins O’Rahillys
    10. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
    11. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes
    12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    13. Colm Cooper Dr Crokes
    14. Paul Geaney Dingle
    15. James O’Donoghue Killarney Legion

Fir Ionaid / Subs

16. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
    17. Kieran Donaghy Austin Stacks
    18. Marc Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
    19. Paul Murphy Rathmore
    20. Bryan Sheehan St Marys
    21. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys
    22. Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh-Glencar
    23. Paul Galvin Finuge
    24. Tommy Walsh Kerins O’Rahillys
    25. Pa Kilkenny Glenbeigh/Glencar
    26. Alan Fitzgerald Castlegregory

A few surprises but huge experience in reserve.
    There wont be much in it, if Kerry can keep to within a point or two of Dublin and curtail McMenamin when he comes on I think they will win by 3 or 4, using the experience they have on the bench ( 24 All Ireland Medals + i think ). If McMenamin has an impact I can see it being very tight and possibly a draw or a last minute Cluxton / Sheehan free to win it.

Croke Park is Full,
    A rising heat,
    Artane Boys play,
    A muffled beat

Line-Ups confirmed,
    The teams are set,
    Nails are chewed
    Palms are wet

Rosaries fingered,
    Pints are Supped
    Rest Sam McGuire’s
    Donated Cup

“Come on Ye Dubs!”
    A young boy roars
    On Da’s Broad Shoulders
    A Chorus Soars

“Ciarraí Abú!”
    Comes swift reply
    A Counties Passion
    Roared with Pride

A Meath official
    He’ll need thick skin
    For instant curses
    Will rain on him

In Hallowed Finals
    They’ve met before
    Thirteen in Total
    Kerry-Eight, Dubs-Five the score

Of all their meetings
    Championship I mean
    Twenty Eight the count
    Margins less lean

Seventeen to Kerry
    Eight to Dublin
    Two were Draws
    Replays are orphans

Gooch, Brogan,
    Geaney, Flynn
    Cluxton, Kealy
    McManamon

Legion, Dingle,
    Parnells, St Judes
    They both have Crokes
    It’s local brewed

So Hurry Sunday,
    None can wait
    For Summers Climax
    I hold my faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'm going for Dublin to win.

Kerry have the stronger midfield (although Dublin are catching up in that area) but I think Dublin have a slightly better forward line are more solid at the back and they don't give up a huge amount of goal chances. Cian O'Sullivan if he isn't going to play will be a loss but John Small is a good replacement for him

Dublin have one of the greatest half forward lines of all time and I think that gives them the edge in this game I expect Connolly and Flynn to have big games and I think Kerry's defence hasn't been able to deal with teams who run at them and Dublin have the players to take advantage of this weakness.I fancy that they will take the goal chances that Tyrone didn't and that will decide the game.

It will be interesting to see if Dean Rock starts.He's not contributing a huge amount from play but his free taking has been good and with Cluxton not taking as many frees as he used to he won't be as capable of filling in for Rock in that area.If I was Jim Gavin I think I'd drop Rock and start Alan Brogan instead and perhaps Bernard Brogan can take the frees.Rock was excellent in 2013 as a impact sub as when the game loosens up with players tired at the end he can take advantage so perhaps he can have more impact coming on as a sub than starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Kerry have the stronger midfield (although Dublin are catching up in that area) but I think Dublin have a slightly better forward line are more solid at the back and they don't give up a huge amount of goal chances. Cian O'Sullivan if he isn't going to play will be a loss but John Small is a good replacement for him

Dublin have one of the greatest half forward lines of all time and I think that gives them the edge in this game I expect Connolly and Flynn to have big games and I think Kerry's defence hasn't been able to deal with teams who run at them and Dublin have the players to take advantage of this weakness.I fancy that they will take the goal chances that Tyrone didn't and that will decide the game.

It will be interesting to see if Dean Rock starts.He's not contributing a huge amount from play but his free taking has been good and with Cluxton not taking as many frees as he used to he won't be as capable of filling in for Rock in that area.If I was Jim Gavin I think I'd drop Rock and start Alan Brogan instead and perhaps Bernard Brogan can take the frees.Rock was excellent in 2013 as a impact sub as when the game loosens up with players tired at the end he can take advantage so perhaps he can have more impact coming on as a sub than starting.

I am worried about small playing instead of COS. A lot of pressure to put on a young fella with not much experience. Other option is to play Cooper at CH and play fitzsimons in the corner (But that might cause even more disruption).

I am worried about the freetaking situation. Rock's freetaking has been a bit ropey (rocky :D) of late. I am also worried about when Rock is subbed Cluxton looks like he is way out of practice. I would be happy if Dublin are within 4 of Kerry at 60 minutes. Until Kevin Mc gets his "usual" goal from the bench :cool:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I'd agree with a lot of that analysis.

Kerry have had a tendency to give up goal chances to far lesser teams than Dublin and that is something that will trouble them.

Also Dublin will take ever opportunity not to put the ball into the middle to Moran and Maher so expect Kerry to expend quiet a bit of energy "pushing up on kickout" and trying to force Cluxton to kick into the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I'd agree with a lot of that analysis.

Kerry have had a tendency to give up goal chances to far lesser teams than Dublin and that is something that will trouble them.

Also Dublin will take ever opportunity not to put the ball into the middle to Moran and Maher so expect Kerry to expend quiet a bit of energy "pushing up on kickout" and trying to force Cluxton to kick into the middle.

Just on that. There would seem to be bit of a catch 22 for Kerry. Pushing up on the Cluxton's kickouts would logically leave more room in behind their midfielders. Should they lose the kickout (Dublin will hold their own imo) they would leave themselves very open to a pacey counter. Certainly when Tyrone won ball in midfield they caused what seemed like panic when they broke.

Having 'a sweeper' at the back and 'pushing up on the kickout' would seem to be contradictory terms imo. Mayo were lambasted for not pushing up but tbh i understood the logic of making Dublin build from the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

corny wrote: »
    Having 'a sweeper' at the back and 'pushing up on the kickout' would seem to be contradictory terms imo. Mayo were lambasted for not pushing up but tbh i understood the logic of making Dublin build from the back.

Kerry don't play a sweeper. They will probably go zonal from the 40 yard line up on Dublin's kick outs, and man mark whoever is around the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

corny wrote: »
    Just on that. There would seem to be bit of a catch 22 for Kerry. Pushing up on the Cluxton's kickouts would logically leave more room in behind their midfielders. Should they lose the kickout (Dublin will hold their own imo) they would leave themselves very open to a pacey counter. Certainly when Tyrone won ball in midfield they caused what seemed like panic when they broke.

Pushing up on the kick out would wear a lot of teams out and to be honest I think that Dublin would prefer the opposition to push up on their kick outs.Cluxton is so accurate that he'd probably prefer to have the option to kick the ball 40 or 50 yards to a wing back or wing forward running into space than simply tapping the ball out 10 yards to a corner back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

I think Dubs bench could win it for them again, if its close. Cant see the Kerry team named starting come 3:30pm Sunday.

Could be plenty of goals if its an open game. Tyrone created a few goals chances not taken as did Cork in Munster. I think Dublin can be ruthless here.

On the flip side, If Dubs are anyway asleep or lazy at the back JOD will kill us.

Dubs by 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Until he pulls a hamstring in the first few mins and Dublin Joe, the stand by ref, takes over !

The same Dublin Joe that reffed the farcical 2012 semi when Mayo fouled non stop for 35mins , but the past is the past :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SmallFrog

Big game in Dublin.
    This is a poor Kerry side.
    Dublin by 4 points

SmallFrog wrote: »
    Big game in Dublin.
    Dublin by 4 points

yeeeeeeeeeeeeah.

Stuff like this annoys the ****e out of me.

The Kerry Bench probably has more All Irelands than the entire Dublin team combined and they are All Ireland champs.

It really makes the rest of your point look idiotic when you post nonsense like this.

Anyone who thinks that's a strong bench is living back in 2010 I'm afraid

Anyone who thinks that's a strong bench is living back in 2010 I'm afraid

Sheehan
    Donaghy
    Keane
    O'Sullivan
    O'Se
    Murphy
    Walsh
    Galvin

I'm living in 2015 like everyone else, and that is as good a bench as you are going to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Big game in Dublin.
    Dublin by 4 points

Yup so poor In fact that they managed to win last years all ireland and reach back to back finals. A feat that this much vaunted Dublin team has yet to achieve. :)

Dublin has a far better bench than that. Good mix of experience and youth / hunger. Kerry bench full of washed up and injured hasbeens

Dublin has a far better bench than that. Good mix of experience and youth / hunger. Kerry bench full of washed up and injured hasbeens
    137237527956.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Confident of a Kerry victory, I think they will win well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Dublin 2-11 - Kerry 0-11

It wouldn't be All Ireland week without a bad Kerry team would it really

keane2097 wrote: »

And if they win it's usually a "soft all Ireland" "The other team didn't show up" or "the ref was on the team"

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Sheehan
    Donaghy
    Keane
    O'Sullivan
    O'Se
    Murphy
    Walsh
    Galvin

I'm living in 2015 like everyone else, and that is as good a bench as you are going to get.

Yes that is a strong bench on paper, but the quality is in the forwards which is not a place Kerry are weak.

The problem is the backs, and particularly the full back line.
    O Se must be injured otherwise he would start, and Murphy is a wing back rather than a corner, and as someone on the other thread said he does not have the physicality to pick up the likes of McMenamamon (sp)

If any of the Kerry full backs gets an early yellow or even worse a black then they could be in trouble.
    I know Marc got one early v Tyrone and Fitzgerald did well as a sub, but Fitzgerald was poor the first day v Corknand lost his place until now.

As I said before Dublin create a lot of goal chances and they are a far superior team to Tyrone, Kildare, Cork or Tipp, so Kerry will have their work cut out for them at the back and the bench is not going to be the saviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

keane2097 wrote:

True, or an over-hyped Dublin team. Some people are savage original.

Stoner wrote: »
    True, or an over-hyped Dublin team. Some people are savage original.

Heaven protect ye if ye lose on Sunday, between over hype, believing the over hype, arrogance, lack of bottle etc etc ad nauseum.

I must be a fierce rube thinking they're both pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    I think Dubs bench could win it for them again, if its close. Cant see the Kerry team named starting come 3:30pm Sunday.

Could be plenty of goals if its an open game. Tyrone created a few goals chances not taken as did Cork in Munster. I think Dublin can be ruthless here.

On the flip side, If Dubs are anyway asleep or lazy at the back JOD will kill us.

Dubs by 2

Not much talk about o'donoghue this week - perhaps coming in under the radar a little bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Not much talk about o'donoghue this week - perhaps coming in under the radar a little bit.

Jayus, I not forgetting what himself and the Gooch did back in the 2013 All-Ireland Semi-Final.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ah yes. The cute hoors in the long grass ruse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Bit like Berno really. 6-19 from play and nary a peep out of anyone about it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Enright to do a job on Bernard hopefully, he can keep him to 2/3 points from play.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Hon Tipp in the Minor . . . . . Tiobraid Arann Abu :D . . . .

Yes that is a strong bench on paper, but the quality is in the forwards which is not a place Kerry are weak.

The problem is the backs, and particularly the full back line.
    O Se must be injured otherwise he would start, and Murphy is a wing back rather than a corner, and as someone on the other thread said he does not have the physicality to pick up the likes of McMenamamon (sp)

If any of the Kerry full backs gets an early yellow or even worse a black then they could be in trouble.
    I know Marc got one early v Tyrone and Fitzgerald did well as a sub, but Fitzgerald was poor the first day v Corknand lost his place until now.

As I said before Dublin create a lot of goal chances and they are a far superior team to Tyrone, Kildare, Cork or Tipp, so Kerry will have their work cut out for them at the back and the bench is not going to be the saviour.

I would have thought Murphy is the perfect foil for McMenamamon, who isnt hugely physical imo, more tricky which is just my Murphs street.

Kerry to cut dublin to shreds up front, they wont have anything like Sunday yet. Expect O'Brien etc to run straight at him.

A poorer Mayo this year should really have beaten Dublin, but they made a mess of it. Kerry won't make the same mistakes.

Dublin to be disappointed by the "super subs" who do nothing(Kerry Subs) and Kerry kill the game easily enough in the end.

Kerry by 4.

Bit like Berno really. 6-19 from play and nary a peep out of anyone about it. :rolleyes:

Totally meaningless tbh, unless you are talking about player of the year. You have barely played a decent team.

Totally meaningless tbh, unless you are talking about player of the year. You have barely played a decent team.

Yeah, Mayo are barely decent alright. :rolleyes:

If it was James O'D or Cillian O'Connor, the media would be $hitting themselves at the statistic.

If it was James O'D or Cillian O'Connor, the media would be $hitting themselves at the statistic.

Maybe true, but the poor calibre of opposition plays a part too. O'Connor showed him to be average in the 2 games v ye. A few points from play? I think the greater class of JOD is fairly well recognised, and he will skin anyone that shows him an open door on Sunday, Dublin know this. His slightly different playmaker role is not so appreciated this year, he may play deep again on Sunday but I have a feeling he will be near the square with his Killarney rival.

Dublin don't know what Kerry will do, Kerry know what Dublin will do.

Has to be said that Bernard has matured into one the best forwards of the modern generation. A class act.

May the best team win.

They should have beaten ye the last day, but they were a little too rubbish in the end, but look at their forwards, I can only name 2. O'Connor and O'Shea....the Kerry front six are all heavy scorers, and you know they can score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I agree Kerry's forward line is far better than Mayo's but I think their defence will give a lot more room. They might be better tactically but man for man this will be easier for the Dublin forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i can feel a draw. its going to be a close game

Maybe true, but the poor calibre of opposition plays a part too. O'Connor showed him to be average in the 2 games v ye. A few points from play? I think the greater class of JOD is fairly well recognised, and he will skin anyone that shows him an open door on Sunday,

Of course the calibre of the opposition matters...but who do Kerry play along the way to their All Ireland finals? Cork are a shadow of their former selves & the rest of the opposition in Munster, doesn't exactly inspire fear and trepidation. Kerrys quarter final opponents over the past couple of years were who...Kildare and Galway? Again, not exactly counties that set the world on fire.

Dublin & Kerry both needed replays to beat Mayo in semi finals, so they are evenly matched there. In their semi final this year, Kerry beat a Tyrone team that is rebuilding. Kerry deserve great credit for being able to crack the 2013 Donegal nut, when Dublin couldn't. But to say that as a general rule, Kerry face tougher opponents than anyone else, therefore their forwards have to be rated as better than anyone elses, is a complete fallacy imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement