Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Football Final Kerry -v- Dublin WARNING POST #110

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

aveytare wrote:
    Whelan is gas. Thought Tiernan McCann should've issued a public apology and called for a ban, but aye gouging's a bit of craic, Philly's not that kinda player blah blah.

That's not what he said aveytare, he said he plays it close to the line and he had his hand where he shouldn't, the other two lads agreed with him. I supported your posts when your lads were getting a roasting almost regretting it now but your points were well made, you are being very selective here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

Please keep Donaghy and Galvin for next year..... We need more comedy gold. Up the Dubs!

It's fans like you that give the dubs a bad name! Ever hear of winning graciously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Stoner wrote: »
    That's not what he said aveytare, he said he plays it close to the line and he had his hand where he shouldn't, the other two lads agreed with him. I supported your posts when your lads were getting a roasting almost regretting it now but your points were well made, you are being very selective here.

I found the panals analysis of that very eery to be honest. It almost seemed like they were afraid to say too much about it. Very careful with the words they used.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Tough to watch that today but we didn't deserve anything,

Today was one of those days

We will be back again

Congrats the Dubs.

Please keep Donaghy and Galvin for next year..... We need more comedy gold. Up the Dubs!

Fair play to the Dubs,well done,

Your team will be wearing sky blue again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Tough to watch that today but we didn't deserve anything,

Today was one of those days

We will be back again

Congrats the Dubs.

Christ... Kerry fans do take defeat very badly indeed. Today on Kerry radio a few ex Kerry players were very harsh on fitzmaurice after the game. Fitzmaurice brought Kerry from no where to where they are now. He's a great manager and shouldn't be judged on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Hi, I know I misquoted him, I was just irritated by the contrast in reactions to the two incidents.

I'm fond of Dublin but that incident with McMahon was hard to watch - I don't know if I'm just a wuss but I genuinely recoiled a bit watching the slow-motion footage. Whelan went way overboard after the Tyrone match but it probably wasn't as 'eventful' as the Dublin Mayo drawn encounter and the McCann dive, while awful, was hardly any worse than what McMahon did.

Whelan said McMahon had a great year, that he plays close to the line, that it's been going on all summer and his comments and tone were glaringly inconsistent with his statements that Tyrone had behaved "appallingly" and without integrity - and obviously also calling for McCann to apologise.

That's not to mention his own indiscretions as a footballer. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in that regard (and I know Tyrone have had dirty players too) but I just think his comments about McMahon tonight were a bit shameless.

As for McMahon, for years I've thought the lad has a screw loose after seeing his bite on Noel Kerrigan - not so much the bite itself but the way he grinned at Kerrigan after he reacted to McMahon. Don't mean to offend any Dubs here, I've cringed many a time at Ricey's antics. Just making a random point here but I've never really understood the argument that so and so's a grand fella off the pitch either, I've heard it a lot about Ricey and he probably is a decent guy but he can't exactly complain if people think he's a thug. In most cases I presume there's a correlation between how players conduct themselves on the pitch and what they're like as people anyway.

Funnily enough the most extreme reaction to the Tyrone Monaghan match probably wasn't on the Sunday Game (and Colm O'Rourke was equally as critical as Whelan), but on Second Captains with Oisin McConville and Anthony Moyles. Tyrone deserved their share of criticism alright but it wasn't proportionate.

Also JeffKenna suggested the panelists may have been "afraid to say too much about it" - maybe there's legal issues involved, I don't know.

Amprodude wrote: »
    Christ... Kerry fans do take defeat very badly indeed. Today on Kerry radio a few ex Kerry players were very harsh on fitzmaurice after the game. Fitzmaurice brought Kerry from no where to where they are now. He's a great manager and shouldn't be judged on today.

Better team won today my friend simple as that

Them lads that talk on the radio havent the balls to do what Eamon Fitzmaurice and his management team do,

This time last year the same fellas were praising the management

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Them lads that talk on the radio havent the balls to do what Eamon Fitzmaurice and his management team do,

Thank you Kerrydude. Dublin were the better team on the day, Kerry should not lose sight of the fact that the two best teams were in the AI final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

The late Paudi was right when he called the Kerry supporter "effin animals". But it's actually a compliment. We set high standards and are unforgiving of ourselves in defeat. Which makes us keep coming back and wow but there will be a sting in the wasp next year!

But this victory is very much yours so enjoy it! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Do any of you guys know how I'd get a program of yesterday's match ? I forgot too pick one up as,I had to rush to the hill to see the game on time.

I agree, fitzmaurice is great manager and nice guy too. A lot of those ex players were bit out of line but like you said wouldn't do his job in the morning.

Thank you Kerrydude. Dublin were the better team on the day, Kerry should not lose sight of the fact that the two best teams were in the AI final.

Debatable. Mayo gave Dublin better test than Kerry today.

acequion wrote: »
    The late Paudi was right when he called the Kerry supporter "effin animals". But it's actually a compliment. We set high standards and are unforgiving of ourselves in defeat. Which makes us keep coming back and wow but there will be a sting in the wasp next year!

Well I'm not from Dublin. Most of Kerry fans take defeat very bad. If you mention the defeat to them they would nearly fight with you instead of taking it on the chin. Just my observation of course but generally it has to be said most Kerry fans are very bad losers. They love being cocky, gloat and laugh at other teams when they beat them but different story when they lose themselves. It's like the end of the world. They shouldn't be like this with all the all Ireland's they win but it is the case. Not all Kerry fans like this but most of them. I live in the county for over 10 years now and that's the way it is.

acequion wrote: »

It's actually pathetic to be like this if you ask me. Kerry are never going to go too long without winning All ireland. I'd say something if supporters of a team like Mayo was like this and they they would have every reason to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

A final that won't live long in the memory of many non Dublin or Kerry supporters.

The one noticeable feature of this Dublin final win was how more clued in defensively they were. Last year when Dublin strolled into the All Ireland semi final untested and as defending champions every pundit and so called expert built them up as unbeatable. They seem to believe in the hype of all out attack was the way to go while forgetting their defensive duties one year on and the dubs lessons were learnt from that Donegal defeat.

Well done to Dublin the deserving All Ireland winners and i think Jim Gavin will be the first senior manager since Billy Morgan to win back to back All Irelands next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Exactly Dublin will win again next year if good enough. And looking at the opposition no reason not to be favorites again at this stage.

There's no reason why Dublin can't win back to back All Ireland titles, they were outstanding today, the 3 point margin greatly flattered Kerry today. It will take an exceptionally good team to beat them next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Well I'm not from Dublin. Most of Kerry fans take defeat very bad. If you mention the defeat to them they would nearly fight with you instead of taking it on the chin. Just my observation of course but generally it has to be said most Kerry fans are very bad losers. They love being cocky, gloat and laugh at other teams when they beat them but different story when they lose themselves. It's like the end of the world. They shouldn't be like this with all the all Ireland's they win but it is the case. Not all Kerry fans like this but most of them. I live in the county for over 10 years now and that's the way it is.

Every Kerry supporter knows they were beaten out the gate yesterday, and if you ask them, they'll tell you so.....your post is complete rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

It's actually pathetic to be like this if you ask me. Kerry are never going to go too long without winning All ireland. I'd say something if supporters of a team like Mayo was like this and they they would have every reason to be.

Kerry fans and teams do not like being beaten.
    Kerry have won 37 All Irelands.

There may or may not be some correlation between the above statements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Every Kerry supporter knows they were beaten out the gate yesterday, and if you ask them, they'll tell you so.....your post is complete rubbish.

More sour grapes. His post is spot on.
    Its not a question of being beaten out the gate, the comment was related to how that 3 point hammering was accepted by the losers. Nobody likes losing, but most people accept a loss gracefully. You should have listened to the 'good losers' on Kerry Radio after the game yesterday. One word. disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

sligeach wrote: »
    Dublin scored 4 points in the second half. Kerry were awful too. That's dreadful scoring by any standard. Add to that their cynical time wasting and their negative back passing. Easily the least memorable final in God knows how long.

Since the Kerry v Donegal final in ............2014

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Poor match by all involved and unfortunately another Dublin win overshadowed by dirty tactics. Hopefully it will not go unpunished this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I found the panals analysis of that very eery to be honest. It almost seemed like they were afraid to say too much about it. Very careful with the words they used.

McStay Jumped the gun over the headbutting incident and wound up looking silly, he pretty much admitted that

I think they all knew he'd put a MOTM performance in an AI final and then blew it with that incident so they just let the footage speak for itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Bambi wrote: »
    McStay Jumped the gun over the headbutting incident and wound up looking silly, he pretty much admitted that

I think they all knew he'd put a MOTM performance in an AI final and then blew it with that incident so they just let the footage speak for itself

I think that's a fair summation of why they didn't want to stick the boot in. Whether that's right or wrong of the panellists is a matter of personal opinion I suppose.

But surely, when compared to the response they gave to McCann from Tyrone, Dublin fans can see why it *looks* like one rule for some teams, and another rule for others when it comes to incidents like this? Especially for Whelan who was so vocal over Tyrone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Kerry did try to play football, the problem was they were so poor trying it. Their shooting was poor in last years AI final, they only scored I think 4 points from play. This year it was poor again. The one thing about Kerry teams in the past was their forwards were efficient and accurate and rarely missed. At the end of the day if you can't put the ball over the bar, you can complain and whinge all you like, but you aren't going to win AIs.

Having said that, much of the Dublin shooting was woeful too.

Kerry were at their normal tricks, foul the opposition half-backs on a rotational basis to slow down the play. I would bet that Dublin got more frees in this game than any other, mostly down to the cynicism that Kerry bring. Not retreating, throwing the ball into the crowd to prevent a quick free, arguing with the ref, etc. they were all things that Kerry teams do routinely.

The big problem for Kerry is that they couldn't afford to leave out or retire players who are past it - Galvin, Walsh, O'Se, Donaghy possibly even Cooper wouldn't be kept on by Gavin. He has replaced players like Fennell, Cahill, Cullen with younger, fitter, stronger versions (Fenton, Kilkenny, McCaffrey etc). You don't last on the Dublin panel if you are not up to it. Kerry were going back to the well to the same old, same old and they were not able to deliver.

Next year expect the likes of Paul Mannion, Eoghan O'Gara, Kevin O'Brien to come back into the Dublin panel to freshen it up and expect a few of the subs to step it up as well and Dublin will be back again. Can you expect the same in Kerry - unless some of those minors are ready, I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Anyone who indulges in clear eye gouging has no business being footballer of the year. Form is temporary class is permanent. Philly in great form this year but possesses no class and never will.

Heard the great Philly being interviewed on Morning Ireland earlier this morning. He was asked in a very polite ( mealy mouthed) way about the Donaghy incident, the gist of his reply was that in the heat of battle things happen, that Donaghy himself is a physical player and that what happens on the field should stay on the field. A once off incident can be put down to heat of the moment stuff ok, but when you have the likes of McMahon being regularly and repeatedly involved in such incidents then enough is enough - let's call it for what it is - thuggery. Sad for the game if this type of behavior is to be condoned and glossed over as " heat of battle " stuff, but when it's high profile players / teams such as Dublin, seems like the GAA " suits" will always look the other way.
    I'm neutral as far as yesterday's game goes, Dublin were deserving winners and won fairly and squarely in a game played largely in a good spirit of competition. The McMahon / Donaghy incident demeans the game and players involved in such bring the game into disrepute and need to be disciplined accordingly - expect another marathon appeal process via the GAA old boys club (CCCC/DRC) etc, and a minor slap on the wrist outcome . Nothing changes in the GAA really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Brian2011 wrote: »
    McCauley is a very unsporting player too. I hate the way he claps up in to the face of opponents, Nasty!

So you're justifying Sheehan giving him a sly dig in the ribs, ah knowing you're all so bitter still, love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

wackokid wrote: »
    Its not a question of being beaten out the gate, the comment was related to how that 3 point hammering was accepted by the losers. Nobody likes losing, but most people accept a loss gracefully. You should have listened to the 'good losers' on Kerry Radio after the game yesterday. One word. disgraceful.

I have no idea what you're on about.
    Absolutely no sour grapes in my post, please read it again
    The majority of Kerry supporters accepted the loss gracefully enough, but that doesn't seem to matter to some in here ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

wackokid wrote: »

Did the people on Kerry radio think they should have won? Thought they were robbed?
    I would be surprised if that was the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I would expect it to be honest, gooch wasn't right, far from past it. Maybe the desire is gone but I doubt it. I agree with galvin though. Haven't seen Walsh play to comment
    Kerry have lads coming through.

Lots of people look a bit silly today though, counting up medals on the bench. Finishing strong is one thing but you still have to start well.

Jod scored three from play yesterday. A fine player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I would expect it to be honest, gooch wasn't right, far from past it. Maybe the desire is gone but I doubt it. I agree with galvin though. Haven't seen Walsh play to comment
    Kerry have lads coming through.

Lots of people look a bit silly today though, counting up medals on the bench. Finishing strong is one thing but you still have to start well.

Jod scored three from play yesterday. A fine player

Indeed Stoner ... as I told ya, lads that know lads were well aware of the comings & goings in the outpatient department up in Ray Morans clinic in Santry ;)

So Kerry fans take defeat badly and this differs from fans of other counties...how exactly? Could you perhaps identify the county supporters that take defeat well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

So Kerry fans take defeat badly and this differs from fans of other counties...how exactly? Could you perhaps identify the county supporters that take defeat well?

I think that prize goes to Fermanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Wow...this hangover fells pretty pretty good:-) just starting to catch up on the meeedjia...****ing hell Joanne cantwell fairly dug into poor fitsmaurice in the post match interview...he was a gent...I don't know how he kept his calm with her!...had a great session in town after...Kerry lads and ladies were brilliant and some craic as always even in defeat...COYBIB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Gomango wrote: »
    Anyone notice McMahon eye gouge on donaghy around 66'?

He had a great game not far off motm, but Don't like seeing that crap.

Between him mccaffrey and Fento for motm

After all the fuss, can anybody say what the rule is for this type of thing? Is it actually in the rules? I don't know myself.
    Not that rules seem to matter much at certain times, but anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

I haven't read the whole thread and it may already have been asked but I was wondering - was yesterdays final the worst final of the modern era? I thought it was awful stuff to watch.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I haven't read the whole thread and it may already have been asked but I was wondering - was yesterdays final the worst final of the modern era? I thought it was awful stuff to watch.

Could well be up there, but as they kept reminding people the extent of the torrential rain for entire game didn't come across on TV from what I saw of the highlights. It was constant, the new ball was slippy and Croke park pitch itself is slippy enough when dry, never mind wet.

So any bounce of the ball, touch off it by opponent or attempt to turn sharply and the ball was gone. Top that off with the ball often sliding slightly off the foot and most attempts at scores were a lottery. So it became a mistake ridden bit of a lottery of a game.

You could see as the game went on the players were more and more conservative and less likely to take shots on.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

I understand the point about the conditions but I think the media in particular are overplaying that card in an attempt to save the romance that Kerry and Dublin are the football purists!

I can remember other games in Croker with worst conditions that served up great contests!

Although in saying that its a pity the rain just started right before the match after a good spell of settled weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If Bastick calls it a day after this then he'd be going out on a hell of a swansong, he was immense.

Not sure what the story is with cluxton, he seems to have lost faith in his ability on long kickouts

O'Gara will surely replace rock, Ger Brennan is going to have a tough time displacing anyone in that half back line

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

It just isnt as big an achievement for Dublin to win an AI, 3 in 5 years is the minimum they should be doing given their population, the amount of money thrown at them and the fact that they are effectively a professional team playing against amateurs.
    Not to mention the ludicrous situation of them getting to play all of their championship games at home.

Also there is no way McMahon should get an all star after his scumbag eye gouging yesterday. You arent even allowed eye gouge in MMA these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

for all the Dublin heads today recovering from the drink :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

LaGlisse wrote: »
    It just isnt as big an achievement for Dublin to win an AI, 3 in 5 years is the minimum they should be doing given their population, the amount of money thrown at them and the fact that they are effectively a professional team playing against amateurs.
    Not to mention the ludicrous situation of them getting to play all of their championship games at home.
    So what you are saying is that Dublin have underachieved by not winning 30 out of the last 50 titles.

I understand the point about the conditions but I think the media in particular are overplaying that card in an attempt to save the romance that Kerry and Dublin are the football purists!

I can remember other games in Croker with worst conditions that served up great contests!

Although in saying that its a pity the rain just started right before the match after a good spell of settled weather.

Same here,our game against Galway in 08 was put down as a classic and the same day day parts of the Dublin and the country were flooded

• Registered Users Posts: 33 soundcrowd

Also there is no way McMahon should get an all star after his scumbag eye gouging yesterday. You arent even allowed eye gouge in MMA these days

Huge achievement, all Ireland champions. You sound pretty annoyed which make it all the sweeter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Same here,our game against Galway in 08 was put down as a classic and the same day day parts of the Dublin and the country were flooded

That wasn't a classic in fariness.It was played at challenge match pace with no intensity which contributed to it being a nice game of football.If it was an all ireland final with lots of pressure on the players and high intensity I doubt the football would have been a crisp as it was in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Not the best match ever, but I think that the number of wides Kerry put in during the first half made it easier for Dublin. If Kerry had been closer at half time, it's hard to say what the extra pressure on Dublin might resulted in.

Delighted with the result but disappointed with Philly McMahon. Donaghy is a huge threat, but there are better ways of dealing with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

Stinicker wrote: »
    I would be willing to offer you very high odds that this incident today will have absolutely no effect on his championship for next year.

Agreed. Gaa, if it's true what Philly Mc Mahon did to Donaghy do not let him get away with it Do something about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That was the dullest event I have seen for the game's premier day. Really dull. Must have been the weather. The play was average.

As to Donaghy. I heard Marty interview Philly this morning. What happened to a simple: "Philly, did you gouge at Donagahy's eye? Can you explain what we are seeing in the video, please?"

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

I wholeheartedly agree with you there. Where is the discipline gone it seemed to have disappeared since Jim Gavin took over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I am a Dub, and am delighted they won, but FFS, you'd swrear they had won the world cup. They won a GAA match over a county that has 1/10 their pouplation, and probably 2-3 times less the amount of GAA clubs. Dublin should have 2-3 teams to win the All Ireland. They have everything at their disposal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement