Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Football Final Kerry -v- Dublin WARNING POST #110

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

I'm sick of hearing this population crap. Of course having more people gives an advantage but it is about so much more than population.

If we were to go by population Antrim should be in the final every year against Dublin and Kerry should only be the 14th best team in the country.

You have to develop players from juvenile level and then have the right systems in place at senior level. It doesn't matter how big your population is if the people running the show at at levels in the county aren't doing their job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

acequion wrote: »
    It's fans like you that give the dubs a bad name! Ever hear of winning graciously?

Fans that enjoy having a bit of craic? Yes, that gives the Dubs a bad name....
    It really does.

If you want I'll draw some extra big smiley faces for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

I went into the game a s a neutral (Tyrone) and couldn't decide who I'd like to win but due to a Dublin man right next to me it was hard to cheer on Dublin the way he was carrying on. A couple of merry girls came in and took seats in front of him and they decided to wind him up by shouting come on the kingdom - they were from the north too. He then proceeded to ask them where they got there tickets and they should f off back up north and then to top it off he started to sing god save the queen in their faces - I felt like punching the tube in the face.

As they game progressed he turned out to be an ultimate clown - getting Dublin players names mixed up and not knowing some of them and also calling the ref all sorts when he was giving Dublin frees!!

I know he's the minority but it really did leave me wondering how someone who goes to an all ireland final could be such an idiot - if he was only a cub I could excuse it but he must of been in his 50's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Paulzx wrote: »
    I'm sick of hearing this population crap. Of course having more people gives an advantage but it is about so much more than population.

If we were to go by population Antrim should be in the final every year against Dublin and Kerry should only be the 14th best team in the country.

You have to develop players from juvenile level and then have the right systems in place at senior level. It doesn't matter how big your population is if the people running the show at at levels in the county aren't doing their job

Population/pool/availability is important. Not the only factor, but definitely one of them.

I went into the game a s a neutral (Tyrone) and couldn't decide who I'd like to win but due to a Dublin man right next to me it was hard to cheer on Dublin the way he was carrying on. A couple of merry girls came in and took seats in front of him and they decided to wind him up by shouting come on the kingdom - they were from the north too. He then proceeded to ask them where they got there tickets and they should f off back up north and then to top it off he started to sing god save the queen in their faces - I felt like punching the tube in the face.

As they game progressed he turned out to be an ultimate clown - getting Dublin players names mixed up and not knowing some of them and also calling the ref all sorts when he was giving Dublin frees!!

I know he's the minority but it really did leave me wondering how someone who goes to an all ireland final could be such an idiot - if he was only a cub I could excuse it but he must of been in his 50's!

Nightmare!!

Even when it's a great game its a long 70 mins when you're stuck beside a muppet

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Population/pool/availability is important. Not the only factor, but definitely one of them.

Precisely but there many, many variables involved in winning an All Ireland. If it was that simple Dublin wouldn't have had a 16 year drought between 1995 and 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

walshb wrote: »
    I am a Dub, and am delighted they won, but FFS, you'd swrear they had won the world cup. They won a GAA match over a county that has 1/10 their pouplation, and probably 2-3 times less the amount of GAA clubs. Dublin should have 2-3 teams to win the All Ireland. They have everything at their disposal.

And relatively they have the same number of competing sports such as soccer, rugby, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Bambi wrote: »
    If Bastick calls it a day after this then he'd be going out on a hell of a swansong, he was immense.

Not sure what the story is with cluxton, he seems to have lost faith in his ability on long kickouts

O'Gara will surely replace rock, Ger Brennan is going to have a tough time displacing anyone in that half back line

Ah Cian O' Sullivan will reinvent himself as a forward next year! Thats corner back, midfielder and centre back he's played in winning AI teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Question regarding Sam: Is the Cup just allowed be paraded around willy nilly? Is there any protocols/security as regards where it is kept? It seems that almost every Tom, Dick and Harry gets to get a hold of it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Dublin have used 26 players in 7 Championship games .Appearances+Subs for 2015 Championship Games

Brogan, Bernard 7
    Cluxton, Stephen 7 (4 Clean Sheets. Conceded 4 Goals)
    Connolly, Diarmuid 7
    Cooper, Jonny 7
    Fenton, Brian 7
    Flynn, Paul 7
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 7
    McCaffrey, Jack 7
    McMahon, Philip 7
    Rock, Dean 7
    Andrews, Paddy 4+3
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 3+4
    McManamon, Kevin 3+4
    Small, John 2+5
    Brogan, Alan 0+7
    Fitzsimons, Michael 0+7
    O’Carroll, Rory 6
    O’Sullivan, Cian 6
    McCarthy, James 5+1
    Bastick, Denis 4+2
    Daly, Darren 1+2
    Brady, Tomas 0+3
    Lowndes, Eric 0+3
    Byrne, David (Olafs) 1
    Costello, Cormac 0+1
    O’Conghaile, Emmett 0+1

Dublin have scored 18-118 and conceded 4-83 in 7 Championship games. Scorers 2015 Championship Games

Brogan, Bernard 6-21
    Rock, Dean 2-23
    Connolly, Diarmuid 4-10
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 0-18
    Andrews, Paddy 0-12
    Flynn, Paul 2-6
    McManamon, Kevin 2-4
    McMahon, Philip 1-6
    Brogan, Alan 0-6
    McCaffrey, Jack 1-2
    Fenton, Brian 0-4
    McCarthy, James 0-2
    Brady, Tomas 0-1
    Cluxton, Stephen 0-1
    Lowndes, Eric 0-1
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 0-1

Dublin have used 35 players in 9 League games.Appearances+Subs for 2015 League Games
    Cooper, Jonny 9
    McManamon, Kevin 9
    Rock, Dean 9
    McCaffrey, Jack 8+1
    Brady, Tomas 7+2
    Bastick, Denis 8
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 6+2
    McMahon, Philip 6+2
    O'Carroll, Rory 7
    Brogan, Bernard 5+2
    Small, John 5+2
    Costello, Cormac 3+4
    Fenton, Brian 3+4
    Cluxton, Stephen 6 (4 Clean Sheets. Conceded 3 Goals)
    Culligan, Eoin 6
    McCarthy, James 3+3
    O'Conghaile, Emmett 2+4
    Connolly, Diarmuid 5
    Flynn, Paul 4+1
    Daly, Darren 3+2
    O'Gara, Eoghan 3+2
    O'Sullivan, Cian 3+2
    Andrews, Paddy 1+4
    Fitzsimons, Michael 2+2
    Byrne, Davy (Ballymun) 1+3
    Currie, Sean 3 (2 Clean Sheets. Conceded 1 Goal)
    Carthy, Shane 2+1
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 2+1
    Byrne, David (Olafs) 1+2
    Devereux, Nicky 1+2
    Lowndes, Eric 1+2
    Reddin, Ciaran 0+2
    Deegan, Michael 0+1
    McHugh, Conor 0+1
    Ryan, Philip 0+1

Dublin have scored 8-131 and conceded 4-101 in 9 League games. Scorers 2015 League Games
    Rock, Dean 1-52
    Brogan, Bernard 2-8
    McCaffrey, Jack 1-7
    Brady, Tomas 0-8
    McManamon, Kevin 0-8
    Connolly, Diarmuid 1-5
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 0-7
    Fenton, Brian 1-3
    Flynn, Paul 0-5
    McMahon, Philip 0-5
    Costello, Cormac 1-2
    O'Conghaile, Emmett 0-4
    O'Gara, Eoghan 0-4
    Bastick, Denis 1-1
    Andrews, Paddy 0-3
    Byrne, Davy (Ballymun) 0-2
    Carthy, Shane 0-2
    Cooper, Jonny 0-2
    Deegan, Michael 0-1
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 0-1
    Ryan, Philip 0-1

Dublin have used 34 players in 5 O'Byrne Cup games.Appearances+Subs for 2015 O'Byrne Cup
    Brady, Tomas 5
    Culligan, Eoin 5
    Devereux, Nicky 5
    O'Conghaile, Emmett 5
    Rock, Dean 5
    Small, John 5
    Daly, Darren 5
    Fitzsimons, Michael 4+1
    Bastick, Denis 4
    O'Gara, Eoghan 4
    Hannigan, Graham 3+1
    Ryan, Philip 2+2
    Carthy, Shane 1+3
    Scully, Niall 0+4
    Costello, Cormac 3
    McManamon, Kevin 3
    Molloy, Lorcan 3 (1 Clean Sheet)
    Collins, Niall 2+1
    O'Carroll, Rory 2+1
    Cooper, Jonny 1+2
    Dawson, Harry 1+2
    Lowndes, Stuart 0+3
    Currie, Sean 2 (1 Clean Sheet)
    McCaffrey, Jack 1+1
    Dunleavy, Craig 1+1
    Deegan, Michael 0+2
    Kavanagh, Ian 0+2
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 0+2
    O'Higgins, Paddy 0+2
    McCarrick, Alan 0+1
    McGowan, Ross 0+1
    McGuire, Conor 0+1
    McLoughlin, Diarmuid 0+1
    McMahon, Philip 0+1

Dublin have scored 3-80 and conceded 3-43 in 5 O'Byrne Cup games. Scorers 2015 O'Byrne Cup Games
    Rock, Dean 0-38
    O'Gara, Eoghan 2-7
    McManamon, Kevin 1-6
    Brady, Tomas 0-7
    O'Conghaile, Emmett 0-6
    Carthy, Shane 0-5
    Ryan, Philip 0-3
    Costello, Cormac 0-2
    Deegan, Michael 0-2
    Cooper, Jonny 0-1
    Culligan, Eoin 0-1
    McLoughlin, Diarmuid 0-1
    Scully, Niall 0-1

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

Has there been any action over the gouging yet? How does the disciplinary system work in the GAA? Also, I was told down the pub last night that Dublin spend 4 million every year on their team, is there any truth in that or is it just nonsense talk? It seems very high for an amateur sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

noway12345 wrote: »
    Has there been any action over the gouging yet? How does the disciplinary system work in the GAA? Also, I was told down the pub last night that Dublin spend 4 million every year on their team, is there any truth in that or is it just nonsense talk? It seems very high for an amateur sport.

The players are well looked after. They are not amateurs in any sense of the word

LaGlisse wrote: »
    The players are well looked after. They are not amateurs in any sense of the word

Really? Is that the same for other teams or do Dublin get more? I suppose the AIG deal would give them loads of money. Does it not seem a bit unfair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Really? Is that the same for other teams or do Dublin get more? I suppose the AIG deal would give them loads of money. Does it not seem a bit unfair?

What does this have to do with the match thread,

And why does this always start when dublin win a game.

ALWAYS

They were on 50 grand a man win bonus to claim the All Ireland:cool:

listermint wrote: »
    What does this have to do with the match thread,

And why does this always start when dublin win a game.

ALWAYS

What? I'm sorry, I don't follow GAA that closely. It's just I was told this last night. Is it true then?

I can't believe that anyway. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Yes and two weeks holiday in Killarney if they lost .

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭paintitwhite

If Bastick goes O'Sullivan might go to midfield with Ger Brennan going to CHB. Surely Conor McHugh or Cormac Costello offer more than Dean Rock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

If Bastick goes O'Sullivan might go to midfield with Ger Brennan going to CHB. Surely Conor McHugh or Cormac Costello offer more than Dean Rock?

I would be amazed if Ger Brennan gets his place back on that Dublin team again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Would John Small not be the man to play centre back heading into the future? Never been anything but impressed by him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I really hope Bastick sticks around. He has been a man possessed in MF the last few games.

I can't see Ger coming back to the panel. And I'd find it difficult to get behind him as a player these days anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

unfortunately he is not in the minority as such, you got alot of them at every Dublin game and yesterday brought them out again.

there was people around me yesterday who were absolute scumbags and didnt even know the names of half the Dublin team. another group of "supporters" didnt even know who "number 3" was.

rubbing defeat in the faces of Kerry fans, shouting obscenities at players and officials, it really does not reflect well on the many 1000s of top class supporters Dublin have and who i met before and after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭paintitwhite

Dead right on John Small a better long term option than Brennan for sure.

unfortunately he is not in the minority as such, you got alot of them at every Dublin game and yesterday brought them out again.

there was people around me yesterday who were absolute scumbags and didnt even know the names of half the Dublin team. another group of "supporters" didnt even know who "number 3" was.

rubbing defeat in the faces of Kerry fans, shouting obscenities at players and officials, it really does not reflect well on the many 1000s of top class supporters Dublin have and who i met before and after the game.

The few scumbags you met doesn't reflect well on the thousands of top class supporters we have?

What?

I saw nothing but craic around yesterday amongst everyone. Made such a change from the absolute spite I witnessed last year from winning Kerry fans towards myself and my mates when we were out supporting Donegal. Does that mean EVERYONE is a scummer ? Of course not.

I'm lucky enough that I'm always out in the ST area or with my mates so a lack of knowledge isn't something that occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

It doesn't reflect on the rest of us at all....unless you make a point of letting which I think a lot people do.

Experiencing one or two bad apples does not give you the right to blacken the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

SmallFrog wrote: »
    i think Kerry might have been better equipped had they held onto Jack O'Connor for the second game too.

Eamon Fitz has serious questions hanging over him.
    And the 2014 all-irl must now surely be considered one of the 'softest ever won' - right place at the right time etc.
    How do you work that one out? I keep hearing this bandied about but I dont actually know what people are basing it on,is it the fact the final was a poor game?

I would contend that it was Kerrys least soft all ireland of the last 20 years, bar 2000.
    Certainly Mayo and Donegal in 2014 were much better than any of Kerrys other semi and final opponents, bar 2000.

I'm one very happy Dublin woman today!

Not our greatest performance by a long shot, nor Kerry's for that matter. But the hunger was there and in the end that's what got us through.

4 from 4 trophies....not a bad haul!

Up The Dubs!

Anyone else with any musings about 1 or 2 supporters out of 80,000 Plus Individuals ??

no ?

I met a man walking down the street yesterday he had a pint in each hand, and he told me he is delighted with the economy and said he has more money in his wallet.

• Advertisement

The first half wasn't actually a bad half of football all in all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Every county has an element of moron fans - no exceptions. I see you don't mention the Kerry supporters in the nally stand yesterday throwing insults and coins around ? And of course let's not forget the way some of the Kerry supporters treated Tyrone fans down in Killarney a few seasons ago. Get over your selfs will yis with your holy than white attitude re your own team and supporters as you are no better or worse.

Not at all....it just wasn't either teams A game. That being said, I do think the weather didn't help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Really? Watching live I thought it was awful, I was in a sloppy drenched hill 16 though.

I got my head biten off earlier on so I'll have to be careful but I just want to know if what I was told is true. Did Dublin spend 4 million this year on their team?

Really? Watching live I thought it was awful, I was in a sloppy drenched hill 16 though.

Yeah. I thought in soaking Cusack Lower that it was okay. But yeah, no where near the apocalypse of horror that it's been made out to be.

• Advertisement

I got my head biten off earlier on so I'll have to be careful but I just want to know if what I was told is true. Did Dublin spend 4 million this year on their team?

No. Not a hope.

I don't know....but does it really matter?

It was 10 Billion,

and all the lads get new cars too.

No. Not a hope.

How much then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Yeah. I thought in soaking Cusack Lower that it was okay. But yeah, no where near the apocalypse of horror that it's been made out to be.

its probably the worst all ireland final in the TV generation. would be interesting to get neutral opinion here also, i would think most neutrals found the game absolutely appaling.

• Advertisement

How much then?

Go ask the Dublin Co Board.

I don't know....but does it really matter?

Surely it does if Dublin are spending 4 million and other teams are spending barely anything? I don't know much about GAA, I just found it strange that that much money was being spent. I thought it was amateur.

listermint wrote: »
    It was 10 Billion,

and all the lads get new cars too.

You bit my head off earlier and now you're being sarcastic, what's wrong?

its probably the worst all ireland final in the TV generation. would be interesting to get neutral opinion here also, i would think most neutrals found the game absolutely appaling.

2009, 2003, 2014, 1993, 2010...

All worse from my memory...

I'm watching the game again. And honestly that was a decent first half.

Go ask the Dublin Co Board.

I don't know who the Dublin Co Board are, I thought someone here would know?

Edit: Is this stuff not common knowledge? Or get released?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

It was the worst all Ireland final I've ever seen, conditions ruined it. The amount of dropped ball and slips was comical. I'll watch it again on tv this time and that might change my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

2014 final was terrible.

Surely it does if Dublin are spending 4 million and other teams are spending barely anything? I don't know much about GAA, I just found it strange that that much money was being spent. I thought it was amateur.

It is amateur. Money isn't paid to the ayers but thee are doctors, trainers, coaches, physio, breaks away, equipment... These things cost money.

The Senior Intercounty team does not cost 4m a year or anything like it.

AIG pay a million a year to sponsor all male and female Dublin teams. Hardly likely to help 4 million a year you heard be true.

You can't hold Dublin to account for how the GAA's funds are allotted. Not saying it's necessarily right for one team to get so much and others so little, but I doubt it's something they themselves have control over.

It is amateur as a far as I am aware....I think you can be sure that none of that money went into the players pockets.

You bit my head off earlier and now you're being sarcastic, what's wrong?

Bit your head off ?

Being very precious and asking silly questions are 2 different things.

You claim to not watch Dublin or GAA and then come in asking questions about funding, what is your reasoning ?

Odd

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement