Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Football Final Kerry -v- Dublin WARNING POST #110

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It can't be controlled in other sports, although an attempt at financial fair play was made and failed.

In summary, Dublin have a top of the range professional approach, and I'd imagine their backroom team would dwarf many English premier league backroom teams, with a similar level of expertise.

Then there are other counties scraping by with shambolic amateur setups largely due to a lack of finances. That's one example.

I'm not going to derail the thread either. Good luck to Dublin on their win. From a neutrals point of view however, the AI is being skewed towards counties with unlimited resources to the detriment of other counties.

Give over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

The GAA gets funding.

What do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The rugby and football world cups get won by a favourite . Most teams just making up the numbers. Only handful can win it. Same with the champions league/Heineken cup. The all Ireland no different. Ya get the odd shock along the way like Japan beating safrica the other day. Westmeath beating Meath was probably the biggest upset in the football this year. Be great if AI was more competitive but that's sport

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    The rugby and football world cups get won by a favourite . Most teams just making up the numbers. Only handful can win it. Same with the champions league/Heineken cup. The all Ireland no different. Ya get the odd shock along the way like Japan beating safrica the other day. Westmeath beating Meath was probably the biggest upset in the football this year. Be great if AI was more competitive but that's sport

Yeah but different rugby countries do better because of playing numbers, huge resources and so on. I knew Dublin had the population but them having the huge resources seems a bit unfair in GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

The football ai isn't as bad as its being made out. In 2011 Dublin were probably 3rd or 4th favourites and hadn't won since 95. 2012 Donegal shocked us. 2013 Dublin were one of the favourites, not many expected Kerry in 2014 and again Dublin in 2015 were favourites. The provincials are bland and boring but the ai isn't predictable. You have Mayo, Kerry and Dublin within a kick of a ball of each other. Tyrone are on the way back and hopefully Monaghan can push on outside of Ulster though I won't hold my breath. You can't expect crazy shocks like Donegal 2012 every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

noway12345 wrote: »
    Why targeted counties? Why not all of them? Not enough money?

Not enough money. You spread the money around too much and you won't get the result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

There should be more than enough in the GAA's coffers to give to the lesser teams.

Stop giving money to Division 1 teams and possibly Division 2 teams. Let them get their own houses in order. And help division 3 and 4 teams out so they can actually compete and not be canon fodder year in year out.

Lesser teams are not asking for an advantage just a level playing field. It will take years like it took years for Dublin to turn it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Dublin win the All Ireland- they've got more money so they should win it.

Kerry win the All Ireland- It's soft.

Donegal win the All Ireland- It's the death of football.

We're a nation of begrudgers. It's fúcking embarrassing in truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Kerry win the All Ireland- It's soft.

Donegal win the All Ireland- It's the death of football.

We're a nation of begrudgers. It's fúcking embarrassing in truth.

And don't forget the old perennial, Mayo deserve one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

We invested that money well in genetically modified players Nidge.

• Advertisement

There should be more than enough in the GAA's coffers to give to the lesser teams.

Stop giving money to Division 1 teams and possibly Division 2 teams. Let them get their own houses in order. And help division 3 and 4 teams out so they can actually compete and not be canon fodder year in year out.

Lesser teams are not asking for an advantage just a level playing field. It will take years like it took years for Dublin to turn it around.

How about those teams upping their game. Do you think that might help first ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    And don't forget the old perennial, Mayo deserve one.

Mayo rumoured to be sponsored by Donald Trump for 2016. Take that AIG

STB. wrote: »
    How about those teams upping their game. Do you think that might help first ?

Tell that to the Leitrim boys who can only dream of their county receiving one off huge grants. They have been starved of success too, right? Go back to watching the Premier League, good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Mayo rumoured to be sponsored by Donald Trump for 2016. Take that AIG

He wants the Erris peninsula in return

Paulzx wrote: »
    He wants the Erris peninsula in return

If that's all he wants no problem

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Tell that to the Leitrim boys who can only dream of their county receiving one off huge grants. They have been starved of success too, right? Go back to watching the Premier League, good man.
    Go back to the premier league ? What does that mean exactly.

Pest is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭kyote00

Cavan income in 2011 was 1.3m ??? WTF ??

Am I reading the Independent figures right ? Population of 75k people --> 17euro per capita

Dublin income 3.2m (population 1m) --> 3euro per capita

Leitrim, 860k (population 31k) --> 27euro per capita

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Congrats to Dublin worthy winners.

Worst final since hmm... oh Last year! Hard to believe 0-10 would have been enough to win that final on Sunday and scoring the same as Donegal last year 0-12 and this time enough to win a final highlights what promised to be a classic became a pure disappointed for the majority of neutral viewers.

Dublin probably delivered their worst performance of the year yet still could have won by more which more or less tells you how poor Kerry were on the day. Its easy to use the weather conditions as an excuse. Second half was 5-4 to Kerry more wides than scores. One annoying feature of that contest was the amount of time wasting over frees and other incidents which meant ball in play time was one of the lowest ever?

Its the second year in a row that the senior football finals and championships have been average to poor. Once again in the off season we will have pundits telling us that football nowadays is faster,stronger,fitter than ever before (maybe true) but i fear the overall quality of viewing won't improve much in 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭tritium

kyote00 wrote: »
    Cavan income in 2011 was 1.3m ??? WTF ??

Am I reading the Independent figures right ? Population of 75k people --> 17euro per capita

Dublin income 3.2m (population 1m) --> 3euro per capita

Leitrim, 860k (population 31k) --> 27euro per capita

I'm confused, Dublin aren't top by either income or expenditure in those figures. Shouldn't we take a top down approach and deal with the problem of Kilkenny first? Then we can address Dublin, tipp and cork in one go. Kerry to follow shortly after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Congrats to Dublin worthy winners.

Worst final since hmm... oh Last year! Hard to believe 0-10 would have been enough to win that final on Sunday and scoring the same as Donegal last year 0-12 and this time enough to win a final highlights what promised to be a classic became a pure disappointed for the majority of neutral viewers.

Dublin probably delivered their worst performance of the year yet still could have won by more which more or less tells you how poor Kerry were on the day. Its easy to use the weather conditions as an excuse. Second half was 5-4 to Kerry more wides than scores. One annoying feature of that contest was the amount of time wasting over frees and other incidents which meant ball in play time was one of the lowest ever?

Its the second year in a row that the senior football finals and championships have been average to poor. Once again in the off season we will have pundits telling us that football nowadays is faster,stronger,fitter than ever before (maybe true) but i fear the overall quality of viewing won't improve much in 2016.

Only quoting you as you make reference to the time wasting. I agree, it drives me nuts when i see how much time is wasted for Cluxton (he's not the only one but he set the trend) to make his way up the field to take a free, especially when the time is clearly not added on the end. I heard a stat last night on off the ball that between the 60th and 74th minute, the ball was actually only in play 4 minutes!!! if that is true, thats an incredible statistic. I remember the final Dublin won in 2011 and the (brilliant) free that won it in injury time. I think there was about 2 minutes wasted for that free which meant Kerry had little chance to create anything after that. Even though the free might have been conceded at the beginning of injury time, all this time is used up in one free which mean Kerry pretty much had to nail their next possession to draw. I guess the key is to just not concede the free in the first place but i think there needs to be some kind of regulation around it.

Colours to the mast, my allegences were split, dublin born of a kerry mother and not a passionate dubs supporter so was lucky enough to have a fairly relaxed time of it for the final. Didnt really bother me who won. what i will say is that all the talk of Kerry being $hit, etc is a pile of rubbish. They had an off day. it happens, yet they were still in it till the bitter end. Dublin handled the conditions better and made better use of the ball. Kerry wasted so many opportunities, especially from the hard work they put into disrupting cluxton's (who was kack by the way) kick outs. I think the fixture deserved better conditions on the day as a spectacle. I think you'd have a better representation of where the teams are relative to each other. Not saying it wold have made any difference to the outcome (we'll never know sure!) but at least it would have taken the weather conditions and the randomness of split balls, slips etc out of it. Was a shame as it definitely affected the standard of the game.

What i will say is that it is no coincidence that the team which went through a tough battle in the semi, i.e. replays against Mayo, triumphed 2 years in a row. There might be something in that since the semi's is the first tough game any of the big 3/4 get and in kerry's case, they probably didnt need to get out of 3rd gear except at the end when they kept their composure to take it when it looked like they might be in trouble....

The Philly incident, i think something should be done once the dust settles. He plays on the edge and thats his style but there's a difference between being on the edge and reckless. Fair play to Donnaghy for not making an issue of it (unlike AOS for a non issue), but maybe thats more because he knows he's no angel himself and would be hypocritical of him to cry foul. But in saying that the Philly and Donnaghy's of this footballing world will continue to do stupid things if they are allowed to get away with it but there just doesnt seem to be an appetite to deal with it. These lads are great footballers, they don't need to steep to those kind of lows.....in theory at least.....and i'd have concerns over the example this sets for kids starting out with the game who look up to them....(queue, "won't somebody think of the kids!" jibes no doubt!)

And one last thing, i don't get Stephen Cluxton. Would the guy not play with a bit of better humour! At what point does brooding intensity/ice running through the blood become being a miserible aul $hite. I've never been a big fan of his. He has a nasty streak, gets involved when he doesnt need to and in recent times is a complete liability. I accept he's been a great keeper for Dublin (is he in serious decline?) but there's just something about the guy. He reminds me of Reina when he was with liverpool, if he was quiet in goal, he'd always try and involve himself and leave himself open to a stupid mistake.

All in all, the best team won this year, as was the case last year, and the year before and the year before.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

one thing that went unnoticed was how the minors were disrespected the last day.

music blaring when the cup was lifted, then as they were starting their celebrations they were ushered away from the area as the jubilee teams came out.

they then werent allowed to celebrate as normal, instead were sent off on a lap that was on at the same time as Marty Morrissey was talking and presenting the cork lads. very poor organisation from the GAA, who had already got rid of the speeches for the winning captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Just an observation but I was wondering if any of the Kerry lads found Paul Geaney's substitution as mystifying as I did.I thought he was Kerry's biggest threat in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

seligehgit wrote: »
    Just an observation but I was wondering if any of the Kerry lads found Paul Geaney's substitution as mystifying as I did.I thought he was Kerry's biggest threat in the first half.

It was a strange one. Surely Cooper should have gone with Geaney moved to the corner.
    Cooper was a shadow of his former self, epitomized by a cameo in the second half where he got a ball about 30 yards out on the left with only Philly McMahon in front of him at a time where a score for Kerry would have been massive. The old Cooper would have taken him on and scored either a point or won a free, he turned around and kicked it back out to the 45.
    Geaney had an ok first half and had done well in the second half in the fiery kitchen of the Tyrone full back line and surely should have been given more of a chance, given that the ball in to him was generally high and nigh on impossible to win in the conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

robbiezero wrote: »
    It was a strange one. Surely Cooper should have gone with Geaney moved to the corner.
    Cooper was a shadow of his former self, epitomized by a cameo in the second half where he got a ball about 30 yards out on the left with only Philly McMahon in front of him at a time where a score for Kerry would have been massive. The old Cooper would have taken him on and scored either a point or won a free, he turned around and kicked it back out to the 45.
    Geaney had an ok first half and had done well in the second half in the fiery kitchen of the Tyrone full back line and surely should have been given more of a chance, given that the ball in to him was generally high and nigh on impossible to win in the conditions.

Geanys movement was non existent though, its like he was stuck to the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

one thing that went unnoticed was how the minors were disrespected the last day.

music blaring when the cup was lifted, then as they were starting their celebrations they were ushered away from the area as the jubilee teams came out.

they then werent allowed to celebrate as normal, instead were sent off on a lap that was on at the same time as Marty Morrissey was talking and presenting the cork lads. very poor organisation from the GAA, who had already got rid of the speeches for the winning captain.

Yeah it was pish poor organisation. Some of the kerry youngfellas were even bumping of the oul Cork jubilee lads as they were celebrating (Stephen O'Brien looked ready for a ruck!). Surely they could've got 2 minutes somewhere on the programme for them to celebrate with the fans.

• Advertisement

Spot on. With the AIG millions, the millions that Bertie Ahern got diverted to them via the Irish Sports Counci (that's why the Dubs boo and abuse Enda in Croke Park, he's not a Bertie type Dublin crook giving them millions of the taxpayers' money), the amount of GDO's they have, the population, the 'super clubs', the compact geographical area for players to easily attend training, the facilities and the home advantage for every game they should be winning it every year. Not to mention the fact that they never have any need to worry about suffering any disciplinary suspensions so they know they can bite, gouge, punch, dive and tramp all they want.

And spot on re McMahon. We have seen him diving to attempt to get a player sent off, headbutting (Dubs relying on one camera angle with O'Shea lightly holding McMahon's jersey while his huge arm muscles go unflexed to 'force' McMahon to lunge his head at his face is laughable) and now eye-gouging. Let's not forget that he also bit an opposition player in a previous All Ireland semi final. There used to be a rule in place that you couldn't get an All Star if you were sent off during the championship. But the fellas who got sent off in those years for fighting, punching etc. look like gentlemen in comparison to the biting, diving,gouging lieing cowardly thug and gurrier that is McMahon.

And no, not from Kerry (or Mayo) so the Dubs can leave off there, to put it in Dublinese, 'yiz do only be a sore loser, yiz do be' .

Serious lemons being sucked here. And by the way it's not just the Dubs that whistle and boo at Pinnochio Kenny. He's unable to attend Hyde Park in Roscommon due to the barracking he gets from the Rossies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Spot on. With the AIG millions, the millions that Bertie Ahern got diverted to them via the Irish Sports Counci (that's why the Dubs boo and abuse Enda in Croke Park, he's not a Bertie type Dublin crook giving them millions of the taxpayers' money), the amount of GDO's they have, the population, the 'super clubs', the compact geographical area for players to easily attend training, the facilities and the home advantage for every game they should be winning it every year. Not to mention the fact that they never have any need to worry about suffering any disciplinary suspensions so they know they can bite, gouge, punch, dive and tramp all they want.

And spot on re McMahon. We have seen him diving to attempt to get a player sent off, headbutting (Dubs relying on one camera angle with O'Shea lightly holding McMahon's jersey while his huge arm muscles go unflexed to 'force' McMahon to lunge his head at his face is laughable) and now eye-gouging. Let's not forget that he also bit an opposition player in a previous All Ireland semi final. There used to be a rule in place that you couldn't get an All Star if you were sent off during the championship. But the fellas who got sent off in those years for fighting, punching etc. look like gentlemen in comparison to the biting, diving,gouging lieing cowardly thug and gurrier that is McMahon.

And no, not from Kerry (or Mayo) so the Dubs can leave off there, to put it in Dublinese, 'yiz do only be a sore loser, yiz do be' .

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Biloxi Blues

Serious lemons being sucked here. And by the way it's not just the Dubs that whistle and boo at Pinnochio Kenny. He's unable to attend Hyde Park in Roscommon due to the barracking he gets from the Rossies.

Didn't think the Sheepstealers , or anyone else, were as classless as the Dubs fans so that's a new one to me. You had it so good with Dublin crook (one of many) Bertie giving you all that taxpayers' money that any other politician has to be abused, eh? But thanks for you and your 'bud' proving me correct on the only response the Dubs being capable of being 'yiz do only be a sorry lose, yiz do be'.

Didn't think the Sheepstealers , or anyone else, were as classless as the Dubs fans so that's a new one to me. You had it so good with Dublin crook (one of many) Bertie giving you all that taxpayers' money that any other politician has to be abused, eh? But thanks for you and your 'bud' proving me correct on the only response the Dubs being capable of being 'yiz do only be a sorry lose, yiz do be'.
    You describe yourself so aptly, a sorry loser. And on that note I'll sign off, come back when you want to discuss the Dublin Kerry AI final.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Biloxi Blues

You describe yourself so aptly, a sorry loser. And on that note I'll sign off, come back when you want to discuss the Dublin Kerry AI final.

Did you miss the bit where I said I wasn't from Kerry or Mayo (or anyone else Dublin played this year for that matter), Anto? And I know many Dubs don't want to discuss the inconvenient truths but even Philly is prepared to tell barefaced lies to the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

2/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

3/10

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Dublin fans, I know they're obvious and entertaining in their own right, but it'd be best if you report obvious trolls and don't engage them and we'll take action as soon as we can.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

seligehgit wrote: »

It was desperation stuff from Kerry. Whenever they become desperate especially under Fitzmaurice they look to Donaghy. It worked against Mayo last year and it seems to work against Mayo most years but then again Mayo are always weak tactically when the opposing team change things. It doesn't really work against any of the other big teams. I thought the Kerry forwards were all fairly poor. They were poor in last years final too. They don't make Kerry forwards like they used to. I don't see it improving drastically big time next year. Gooch looks a shadow of the player he was. Tommy Walsh seems to be injury prone. Plays 4 AFL games in 2 years tells you something. Donaghy is too easily marked out of it. Galvin is finished. JOD was very quiet and seems to be a confidence player. D. Walsh is never going to score 4 or 5 points a game. Buckley gets through a mountain of work in some games. None of them showed up on Sunday when you really need forwards to show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

in fairness any barracking there would be deserved as he closed the A&E in Roscommon after giving promises of keeping it open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

For all the things to lambast the Dubs over, booing that miserable clown Enda Kenny is certainly not one of them.

In fact, they've gone up in my estimation. Hill 16 la la la.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭cosatron

He got boo at the hurling all Ireland aswell and our minors got ushered off the field during there victory lap

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Charles Daarrwin

Guys any idea of the location of Sam this coming weekend? Looking to get a wee picture

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SmallFrog

Prob on the street outside the boars head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

It was desperation stuff from Kerry. Whenever they become desperate especially under Fitzmaurice they look to Donaghy. It worked against Mayo last year and it seems to work against Mayo most years but then again Mayo are always weak tactically when the opposing team change things. It doesn't really work against any of the other big teams. I thought the Kerry forwards were all fairly poor. They were poor in last years final too. They don't make Kerry forwards like they used to. I don't see it improving drastically big time next year. Gooch looks a shadow of the player he was. Tommy Walsh seems to be injury prone. Plays 4 AFL games in 2 years tells you something. Donaghy is too easily marked out of it. Galvin is finished. JOD was very quiet and seems to be a confidence player. D. Walsh is never going to score 4 or 5 points a game. Buckley gets through a mountain of work in some games. None of them showed up on Sunday when you really need forwards to show up.

It's true they had a bad afternoon, in fairness though the Dublin forwards were no better. None of them played well and both sides scored a paltry 8 points from play. Defenders were on top for both sides. Dublin won the game around the middle with a fierce work rate and intensity that Kerry simply couldn't match.

Watched it back last night and the only thing that slightly annoyed me was the amount of time wasting they got away with towards the end. I know all teams do it when they are ahead but Sunday took it to a completely new level. Even the dubs around me at the match (who were a great bunch btw) were getting annoyed with it and I hope the GAA deal with it in the future.

Btw JOD scored three from play in abysmal conditions. But harsh to say he didn't show up. It was impossible to play football in that rain with the ball that was coming in zipping away from you. Also to criticise a half forward because they don't score 4-5 from play is daft. Modern day half forwards play as auxiliary half backs and link defence to attack. Have Flynn and Connolly scored 5 between them in a meaningful match this year for example?

JOD, Geaney, cooper and Walsh have all come up with big scores in big games in the past and will do so again. One bad game means nothing. Dubs don't have to think too far back to remember a day when things didn't work out for them in a similar manner.

Some very puzzling substitutions from Kerry but what's done is done and hopefully we'll learn from it. I couldn't believe it when I saw galvin coming on, and taking off JOD and Geaney was not a good move. I assumed JOD was injured but apparently not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

mickeyk wrote: »
    It's true they had a bad afternoon, in fairness though the Dublin forwards were no better. None of them played well and both sides scored a paltry 8 points from play. Defenders were on top for both sides. Dublin won the game around the middle with a fierce work rate and intensity that Kerry simply couldn't match.

Watched it back last night and the only thing that slightly annoyed me was the amount of time wasting they got away with towards the end. I know all teams do it when they are ahead but Sunday took it to a completely new level. Even the dubs around me at the match (who were a great bunch btw) were getting annoyed with it and I hope the GAA deal with it in the future.

Btw JOD scored three from play in abysmal conditions. But harsh to say he didn't show up. It was impossible to play football in that rain.

Some very puzzling substitutions from Kerry but what's done is done and hopefully we'll learn from it. I couldn't believe it when I saw galvin coming on, and taking off JOD and Geaney was not a good move. I assumed JOD was injured but apparently not.

You must have missed Tyrone-Monaghan quarter final.;)

On that point though teams have moved away from cynically pulling fellas down to starting rows and niggle to eat up time. I'm sure that was McMahons intention for example. Have Donaghy react, have a shamozzle and eat up some time. Its frustrating when you lose in such circumstances but like you say every team is at it. Had Kerry been winning they'd have resorted to the same thing. Something should be done of course.

Taking the time keeping away from the referee is something that really should have been passed. They're brutal at keeping track. I'm convinced its pure guesswork when the 70 is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

mickeyk wrote:
    Btw JOD scored three from play in abysmal conditions. But harsh to say he didn't show up. It was impossible to play football
    I agree he scored more from play than anyone. He'd been quite up to being subbed, but I'd imagine you'd want him on the field with Donaghy feeding him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Stoner wrote: »
    I agree he scored more from play than anyone. He'd been quite up to being subbed, but I'd imagine you'd want him on the field with Donaghy feeding him

Its interesting - 3 points from play in an AI final by any player is a good return. It shows the high standards that people have come to expect from O'Donoghue that this is considered an average performance.

Its the same with Connolly. I felt Connolly was huge for Dublin on Sunday, he won some really hard breaking ball, won frees, used the ball well whenever he got it. Yet, I have heard a lot of people say he was quiet! Because of previous performances, he is held to the standards of those previous performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

robbiezero wrote: »

Cooper certainly didn't play well. However, remember the pass to O'Donoghue in the first half? I think it was O'Donoghues first point. It was a beautiful pass that cut open the Dublin defence. I think the thinking of the Kerry management may have been: "He could cut open the Dublin defence with a pass like that for a goal". Geaney was never going to do that. But I agree, Geaney was playing well and I thought it was harsh to take him off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Cooper certainly didn't play well. However, remember the pass to O'Donoghue in the first half? I think it was O'Donoghues first point. It was a beautiful pass that cut open the Dublin defence. I think the thinking of the Kerry management may have been: "He could cut open the Dublin defence with a pass like that for a goal". Geaney was never going to do that. But I agree, Geaney was playing well and I thought it was harsh to take him off.

He is always capable of these things. He has been off the pace and very ordinary this year which is understandable after a few setbacks earlier in the year coming back from his injury. If things go right for him next year and he gets some good games under his belt he will be fine. He has never depended much on pace or physicality so he should be able to come back to something approaching his best if he has the hunger for it. I'd liken him a bit to Peter canavan who was very effective for Tyrone into his thirties. If he can avoid any more serious injuries then he will have better days. He owes us Kerry folk nothing at this stage anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Last 3 wins Dublin have had over Kerry in Championship have been important. Before 2011 Dublin were the laughing stock of football and not respected from teams like Kerry. Kerry fans would joke of Dublin and how they would light up Croke park when they met the Dubs and were always confident of beating them no matter what. However times have changed and now Dublin have gained huge respect in many counties especially Kerry where they now know they will/could have trouble beating them in the future. It's not the way it used to be. Dublin could be another bogey team for Kerry going forward. Beating a team over and over again becomes a habit. Massive credit must be given to Dublin on this regard. Go back to 2009 when they were hammered by Kerry in the quarter and Meath in 2010 in Leinster, who would have thought they would be the team of the future so sudden after those setbacks. Credit given to all the underage structures and work put into development squads in the county. The results are there to be seen. Not a word out of all my Kerry friends all week, I'm sure this one really hurts them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Amprodude wrote: »
    Last 3 wins Dublin have had over Kerry in Championship have been important. Before 2011 Dublin were the laughing stock of football and not respected from teams like Kerry. Kerry fans would joke of Dublin and how they would light up Croke park when they met the Dubs and were always confident of beating them no matter what. However times have changed and now Dublin have gained huge respect in many counties especially Kerry where they now know they will/could have trouble beating them in the future. It's not the way it used to be. Dublin could be another bogey team for Kerry going forward. Beating a team over and over again becomes a habit. Massive credit must be given to Dublin on this regard. Go back to 2009 when they were hammered by Kerry in the quarter and Meath in 2010 in Leinster, who would have thought they would be the team of the future so sudden after those setbacks. Credit given to all the underage structures and work put into development squads in the county. The results are there to be seen. Not a word out of all my Kerry friends all week, I'm sure this one really hurts them.

I always saw that Meath result as somewhat of an anomaly. Dublin got to the SF in the end that year. And really should have beaten Cork that day.

It's a result that still breaks my heart. It felt on that day that getting to a Final was as far off as ever; that we would never have our time in Croker on the Third Sunday. I've never felt so low after a result involving Dublin. At least in the 09 game v Kerry we got to see a masterclass from Paul Galvin.

Also this result "really hurting Kerry". Doesn't every one of them? Between Donegal, Down, Tyrone and ourselves...

It still hasn't sunk in yet... Maybe it will more when we run out in Croker in the League. No doubt under lights. Against Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Amprodude wrote: »

I wonder which of the 3 defeats to Dublin this decade would hurt the Kerry fans the most.
    In hindsight 2011 was the one they really let slip, probably didn't hurt as much at the time, as it was Dublins first win in 16 years and Kerry had plenty of success in the years leading up to it. But of the 3 defeats this really was the one that really could and arguably should have been won.
    2013, the best of the 3 displays, a superb performance from what people would have though was probably the last stand for a great team, beaten by a top notch Dublin side with a far superior bench in what I am quite sure was the greatest game of football I have ever been at.
    2015, easily the poorest of the 3 Kerry sides, comfortably beaten by an experienced and better Dublin team that were never really stretched on the day.
    So Kerry fans what hurts the most:
    • The game ye probably should have won.
    • The game ye played brilliantly in only to just come up short.
    • The game ye played poorly in and probably were not good enough to win anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

mickeyk wrote: »
    He is always capable of these things. He has been off the pace and very ordinary this year which is understandable after a few setbacks earlier in the year coming back from his injury. If things go right for him next year and he gets some good games under his belt he will be fine. He has never depended much on pace or physicality so he should be able to come back to something approaching his best if he has the hunger for it. I'd liken him a bit to Peter canavan who was very effective for Tyrone into his thirties. If he can avoid any more serious injuries then he will have better days. He owes us Kerry folk nothing at this stage anyway.

Alan Brogan is a year older than Colm Cooper.

The difference between Dublin and Kerry can be seen in the use or need to use of both players. Alan Brogan is now only a luxury sub for Dublin, bring him on when you need a little extra in the last 15 or to use his experience to see out a win. Cooper is still needed as a starter for Kerry, when he is not the player he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Godge wrote: »
    Alan Brogan is a year older than Colm Cooper.

The difference between Dublin and Kerry can be seen in the use or need to use of both players. Alan Brogan is now only a luxury sub for Dublin, bring him on when you need a little extra in the last 15 or to use his experience to see out a win. Cooper is still needed as a starter for Kerry, when he is not the player he was.

I wouldnt really agree with that. We won the All Ireland last year without Cooper. He didnt start all championship games this year. If theres one place where Kerry dont have a lack of talent, its in the forwards. Granted, a bad day at the office on sunday, but any of our forward subs would get on most county teams. Its our backs where the cover is sparce.
    I can see Cooper being used more as an impact sub in the coming years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement