Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Football Final Kerry -v- Dublin WARNING POST #110

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

I agree Kerry's forward line is far better than Mayo's but I think their defence will give a lot more room. They might be better tactically but man for man this will be easier for the Dublin forwards.

I guess we disagree here then, I feel Kerry will sharpen up big time on Sunday, they will have plenty of protection most of the time.

We need to shut down Brogan/Connolly/Kilkenny, to maybe 6 points from play, do that and our greater spread of potential scores can see us through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    I guess we disagree here then, I feel Kerry will sharpen up big time on Sunday, they will have plenty of protection most of the time.

We need to shut down Brogan/Connolly/Kilkenny, to maybe 6 points from play, do that and our greater spread of potential scores can see us through.

Keegan and Boyle are the best wingbacks in the game, Higgins is the best corner back, Caff is one of the best full backs around. That's as tough as it gets for a forward line unless you're dealing with a blanket defence. I don't think that Kerry have near the quality 1-7 that Mayo have, but like I said they'll probably be better tactically. The fact is that Kerry's defence has been leaky all championship, and on Sunday they'll face their biggest test yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Of course the calibre of the opposition matters...but who do Kerry play along the way to their All Ireland finals? Cork are a shadow of their former selves & the rest of the opposition in Munster, doesn't exactly inspire fear and trepidation. Kerrys quarter final opponents over the past couple of years were who...Kildare and Galway? Again, not exactly counties that set the world on fire.

Dublin & Kerry both needed replays to beat Mayo in semi finals, so they are evenly matched there. In their semi final this year, Kerry beat a Tyrone team that is rebuilding. Kerry deserve great credit for being able to crack the 2013 Donegal nut, when Dublin couldn't. But to say that as a general rule, Kerry face tougher opponents than anyone else, therefore their forwards have to be rated as better than anyone elses, is a complete fallacy imo.

Anything we can do they can do so much better even with all those medals up their holes.

Let's be honest Kerry have had the hardest run to the final this year. They're clearly the superior team. That Kildare side were scary. We could only score 5-18 against them. Poor.

Keegan and Boyle are the best wingbacks in the game, Higgins is the best corner back, Caff is one of the best full backs around. That's as tough as it gets for a forward line unless you're dealing with a blanket defence. I don't think that Kerry have near the quality 1-7 that Mayo have, but like I said they'll probably be better tactically. The fact is that Kerry's defence has been leaky all championship, and on Sunday they'll face their biggest test yet.

And yet ye conceeded 2 goals to Fermanagh?

Higgins is a forward and we are poles apart on Caff, I don't rate him whatsoever I must say, never have. Give me Aidan O'Mahony every day of the week.

The "run at them" case can be made for every team imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Anything we can do they can do so much better even with all those medals up their holes.

Let's be honest Kerry have had the hardest run to the final this year. They're clearly the superior team. That Kildare side were scary. We could only score 5-18 against them. Poor.

:D yeah I don't know why Dublin bother showing up.....:rolleyes:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Higgins is a forward? Alright we'll end this discussion here.

Higgins is a forward and we are poles apart on Caff, I don't rate him whatsoever I must say, never have. Give me Aidan O'Mahony every day of the week.

2 goals against Fermanagh... Hmmmm... Let's think about that again shall we...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

2 goals against Fermanagh... Hmmmm... Let's think about that again shall we...

:D:D:D

Horan played him there, its not outrageous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

You've basically made your point of view invalid with that. Higgins is a corner back with the brilliance to play anywhere on the pitch but he is a corner back.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

You're taking the piss I assume??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

the jacks will win this by a few points if they can keep their heads and not start scrapping, they have had a much harder test than anyone the Kerry's played and that kerry back line is dodgy enough, they were shown up by mayo last year a few times ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

MaxPower89 wrote:
    Dublin don't know what Kerry will do, Kerry know what Dublin will do.
    This spin is all good for the media, you can hold this opinion all you want. But this Dublin team has been here before with this Kerry team. The Kerry lads will be wondering how to beat a team that they've lost to on the last two occasions, the most significant meetings with respect to tomorrow.

I'm sure Kerry are wondering away too. It will be a close game, but the irony of your dismissal of the Dublin forwards is that that have performed against Kerry despite the aledged difference in class some would like to create with words, you cant have it both ways. If the Dublin lads are not that good then the Kerry backs can't be great either.
    The players know this, no amount of words on paper about how Kerry are smart and adaptable can eradicate recent meetings between the two. No other games against other teams really matter, it's just Kerry and Dublin tomorrow.

It's going to be close. Lots of good players on both teams, good experience on the Kerry bench, but in many cases more than the starting players.

Not much between the two, if both sets of forwards hit form neither team has met that array of scoring options in the championship since 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Really looking forward to the game tomorrow,it could go either way,both teams have forwards that will cause damage if given the space and time but I think they will have to be on top form tomorrow to do damage as both teams will get numbers behind the ball when out of possession,space will be at premium

Cluxton's kick outs are getting a lot of talk,but I hope our own keeper Kealy is on the money with his kick outs tomorrow,Im sure Jim Gavin will target him as Kealy is prone to a few bad ones,

Its also going to be interesting to see which team has solved the problem of being weak when a team runs at them down the middle,Cork had great success the first day out against us as did Mayo against the Dubs,

Hopefully its a cracker and we sneak over the line by one or two points.

Jippo wrote: »
    You're taking the piss I assume??!

Haha, I will admit I added that in just to put a bit of icing on the cake. He's definitely not a top full back but I still think hes a good defender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Confident of a Kerry victory, I think they will win well.

All Kerry have to do is turn up and the trophy is theirs. They should win this by about 10+ points. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Best hurler in Mayo too we are constantly told by Ger Canning!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hopefully its a cracker and we sneak over the line by one or two points.

I don't want this to happen but it would be good for the rivalry.
    Did you get a ticket? It's madness in work picking and dropping

Stoner wrote: »
    I don't want this to happen but it would be good for the rivalry.
    Did you get a ticket? It's madness in work picking and dropping

I didn't even try for a ticket,wasn't at too many of the games this year due to family reasons,so il be watching this one from the highstool in the local.

I reckon there could be a lot of ticket swapping going on this weekend,a lot of Hill tickets came down here

Stoner wrote: »
    This spin is all good for the media, you can hold this opinion all you want. But this Dublin team has been here before with this Kerry team. The Kerry lads will be wondering how to beat a team that they've lost to on the last two occasions, the most significant meetings with respect to tomorrow.

I'm sure Kerry are wondering away too. It will be a close game, but the irony of your dismissal of the Dublin forwards is that that have performed against Kerry despite the aledged difference in class some would like to create with words, you cant have it both ways. If the Dublin lads are not that good then the Kerry backs can't be great either.
    The players know this, no amount of words on paper about how Kerry are smart and adaptable can eradicate recent meetings between the two. No other games against other teams really matter, it's just Kerry and Dublin tomorrow.

It's going to be close. Lots of good players on both teams, good experience on the Kerry bench, but in many cases more than the starting players.

Not much between the two, if both sets of forwards hit form neither team has met that array of scoring options in the championship since 2013

Bingo.

Good man Stoner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 HugoRune

Tiptoes uneasily into thread...

Travelling from ...ahem... Mayo... to Dublin Port to arrive no later than 2.30 pm. Just realised that I will be hitting Dublin at peak travel times for any people attending the game. Normally would follow the nice new M4 from Longford, then the N4 into town, and head along the quays out to Dublin port. However, I guess that won't be practical on All-Ireland final day. I think perhaps instead I can join the M50, head towards the airport to join the M1 and head in to Dublin Port that way. Unfortunately, I think it might also be a pretty neat route to end up close to Croke Park.

Anyone know if the M4/N4/M50/M1 route to Dublin Port is likely to give me problems at say mid-day to 1pm?

Thanks

I think you'll be fine, as long as you take the port tunnel all the way to the end of the line. You'll have to pay the toll, but it will be well worth it to avoid the traffic at Drumcondra Rd/Santry/Whitehall heading towards Croke Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Currently sitting on a high stool in San Fran, ticket gone to a good home😀, up at 6.00am to head out and reclaim this seat. Hon the Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 HugoRune

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I think you'll be fine, as long as you take the port tunnel all the way to the end of the line. You'll have to pay the toll, but it will be well worth it to avoid the traffic at Drumcondra Rd/Santry/Whitehall heading towards Croke Park.

Sounds encouraging, and thanks for the reply. Tunnel all the way it is then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

They should have beaten ye the last day, but they were a little too rubbish in the end, but look at their forwards, I can only name 2. O'Connor and O'Shea....the Kerry front six are all heavy scorers, and you know they can score.

Dublin were well ahead the first game against Mayo and lost concentration and allowed them back into it. Game 2 Dublin won very comfortably. I cannot see how Mayo "should have beaten us", to be honest I think that is nonsense. Whereas Tyrone and particularly Cork could reasonably say that they could have beaten Kerry ( remember the Dubs have taken apart both of these teams in our last few encounters).

Kerry are a good side and have every chance of winning today but Dublin probably have too much for them and should win. If Diarmuid Connolly, B Brogan, Kilkenny and Flynn have good games I don't see Kerry beating us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Haven't seen too much colour around Dublin for this apart from the summerhill area. Odd flag here or there. Shame Dubs don't turn the city into a sea of blue.
    Nevertheless expecting a Dublin win.
    Not too pushed on who wins though just hope it's one to remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

The Dubs team are over hyped, brash and have played nobody, Kerry are cute hoors coming in under the radar and all that crap!

You honestly would think that you'd get sick of these cliches but nah sure they are all part of it! I must say I'm excited about today- I dont think it will be as open as 2013 but with the skill levels of both teams- it should be a cracker. I have a feeling that we'll see JOD and Gooch alternate on carrying out a 'link-man' role- with 1 dropping deep at different times.

The heart says Kerry, the head says Dublin but I've never been known for having a good head- Kerry by 4 with Geaney putting on a show for us. Roll on 3.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

iDave wrote: »
    Haven't seen too much colour around Dublin for this apart from the summerhill area. Odd flag here or there. Shame Dubs don't turn the city into a sea of blue.
    Nevertheless expecting a Dublin win.
    Not too pushed on who wins though just hope it's one to remember.

Yea now that you say it, not like it used to be . I remember in meath all the flags would be up for a leinster final and stay up till Sam was home (poor flags havnt been out in a while).
    What's it like down in Kerry?? If it were any 2 other teams all the towns and villages would be full of colur.

What way is the weather this morning in Dublin lads?

What way is the weather this morning in Dublin lads?

I'm just outside and it dry now but cloudy with showers likely.

• Advertisement

meath4sam wrote: »
    I'm just outside and it dry now but cloudy with showers likely.

Was pouring down here this morning,

Game day has finally arrived,the time for talking is nearly over

Was pouring down here this morning,

Game day has finally arrived,the time for talking is nearly over

Thats gradually moving across the country. Pray it doesn't get here in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The Dubs team are over hyped, brash and have played nobody, Kerry are cute hoors coming in under the radar and all that crap!

You honestly would think that you'd get sick of these cliches but nah sure they are all part of it! I must say I'm excited about today- I dont think it will be as open as 2013 but with the skill levels of both teams- it should be a cracker. I have a feeling that we'll see JOD and Gooch alternate on carrying out a 'link-man' role- with 1 dropping deep at different times.

The heart says Kerry, the head says Dublin but I've never been known for having a good head- Kerry by 4 with Geaney putting on a show for us. Roll on 3.30

Can we add "pushing up on kick outs" to the cliché list.

The way some go on you would swear it was the answer to everything including the Syrian refugee crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Draw game.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Draw game.

Be great craic to have to do it all again in a few weeks but cannot see past a Dublin victory by 4/5 points at a minimum. Safe travels to both sets of fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Good luck to both teams today, hope it's a good fair exciting game, hope the dubs win of course, but logging out of here as my blood pressure can't take the build up :-) boa tarde.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

jjdonegal wrote: »
    Be great craic to have to do it all again in a few weeks but cannot see past a Dublin victory by 4/5 points at a minimum. Safe travels to both sets of fans.

Leaning more towards Kerry myself if anyone.

As Paidi O Se said in that documentary about his time as Westmeath manager

Making a speech to the Westmeath lads he threw out the line

"a grain of rice will tip the scale"

Small things win games,a missed tackle,a lazy foul towards the end.

Ive a feeling we might just nick this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Can't wait for the game..

Gonna be lower cusack about halfway up so should be safe from the rain. Also close enough to enjoy the colour and fun of the hill...

This is a toss of a coin game. It's funny because if you look at dublin v Kerry, it's only in the last 5 years that Dublin have had the upper hand! I'm hoping there's a bit of doubt that you usually wouldn't associate with the normally self confident Kerry.

I'm not convinced either team has played to their peak this season and would hop an early goal leads to a much more open game. I'm guessing it will be more defencive (thanks Donegal) and possibly even a bit nervy like the first half of first game of mayo v Dublin.

There's no point in trying to predict a winner because it's too close to call. I hope Dublin win but won't be betting on the game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Can we add "pushing up on kick outs" to the cliché list.

The way some go on you would swear it was the answer to everything including the Syrian refugee crisis.

Next person who says that to you- ask them exactly what it means!
    They wont have a clue- if it was as easy as people make out then everyone would do it!
    Push up and you create space for dublins half forwards to make runs into-which Cluxton will hit everytime

They wont have a clue- if it was as easy as people make out then everyone would do it!
    Push up and you create space for dublins half forwards to make runs into-which Cluxton will hit everytime

I disagree mayo pushed up in the second half of first game and Cluxton could not find his man and if anything got frustrated and nearly lost the game. Imo the fear going man to man all over the pitch againist dublin is there ability to break with such speed and get goals. Where if you let them go short you can stop that atack early and slow them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

As I said in my post earlier in the thread in spite of thinking Mayo should have put pressure on Cluxton in the first game I've changed my mind since as I think it's precisely what Dublin would want a team to do.Cluxton is so accurate that he would just ping the ball to the wing to half forwards or half backs making runs that I think pushing up on the kick outs would be more of a benefit to Dublin.His kick outs weren't a factor in the semi finals as Mayo just let him kick the ball to his corner backs (something I could do) and force them to work the ball 100 yards up the field.

Yep, going man for man to force Cluxton long is risky, its high risk high reward though. The safest way to go is probably to do what Mayo did but try to do it better - let Dublin win short ball but press them and cut off all options once they get it. Mayo at times let Dublin bandpass through and start breaks very easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Looking at this game, I think the teams first 15 are even, Dublin bench is stronger but Kerry manager is a bit more game smarter.

Going for the draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Looking at this game, I think the teams first 15 are even, Dublin bench is stronger but Kerry manager is a bit more game smarter.

Going for the draw.

That Kerry bench is the stronger of the 2 by quite a distance, and its going to be the winning of the game for Kerry I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Looking forwaard to this, cmon the dubs, takes a lot to say that btw as I'm still crying about the semis. But the best team won on the (second) day so I have no complaints.
    Wonder what the odds are for kev mc to score a second half goal. Worth a punt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    That Kerry bench is the stronger of the 2 by quite a distance, and its going to be the winning of the game for Kerry I think.

I think Kerry's bench is being overrated.

Galvin,Tommy Walsh and Darran O'Sullivan although great players in the past haven't shown anything this year so far.

Galvin,Tommy Walsh and Darran O'Sullivan although great players in the past haven't shown anything this year so far.

They dismantled that great Kildare side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Galvin is a passenger but Walsh and Darran may yet play a pivotal role today, especially Tommy Walsh, and yes this really sounds like an overrated bench. http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=240300

Yep, going man for man to force Cluxton long is risky, its high risk high reward though. The safest way to go is probably to do what Mayo did but try to do it better - let Dublin win short ball but press them and cut off all options once they get it. Mayo at times let Dublin bandpass through and start breaks very easily.

Best thing to do is withdraw like Donegal do. Its not pretty but it is effective if you do it right against Dublin.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement