Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is canada street like to live on in waterford?

Options
  • 07-09-2015 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Is canada street a safe enough place to rent on? Im a professional (female, 30, single) moving down and might have to sign a year lease. the city is FULL and options are limited as every estate agent has turned me away today. need to get sorted asap and im worried this place for 550 a month might not be safe. Need advice
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Brendan Mason

Min30 wrote: »
    Is canada street a safe enough place to rent on? Im a professional (female, 30, single) moving down and might have to sign a year lease. the city is FULL and options are limited as every estate agent has turned me away today. need to get sorted asap and im worried this place for 550 a month might not be safe. Need advice
    Thanks

It seems fine to me. Lots of young families in the area. You will be adjacent to the park, which can have a few dodgy people in it after dark, but there's no reason you would have to go through it at night.

I know Shandon Court (on the Yellow Road) has a few vacant apartments and they're lovely, in a safe area, free parking etc, similar price range. As far as I know they're managed by City Lettings so it might be worth chancing them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not sure why you're saying the city is full, there are 144 properties available on Daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

Is 550 you max budget?

This place is only up the road from Canada St and looks ok but its 650 a month.

http://www.daft.ie/waterford/houses-for-rent/waterford-city/swiss-mews-newtown-waterford-city-waterford-1587006/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Did you not go into book a room as they more then likely will have something to rent as they can be a pain with getting your deposit back from but there apartments as all really nice. Rented from them for 3 out of the 4 years i lived in waterford.

But just have a reference from where you work, old landlord and the likes and your passport and you will sign a lease on the day.

As find it very hard you cant seem to rent somewhere in waterford.

What is your budget anyway ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

I reckon a lot of decent places will come online in the next few weeks.

Students will be fully housed in the next week or two so I'd say landlords who want to rent to professionals will come online then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The truth is Guys there is very little to let in Waterford of any description , except the bottom of the pile stuff that no one wants.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

wellboytoo wrote: »
    The truth is Guys there is very little to let in Waterford of any description , except the bottom of the pile stuff that no one wants.

What do you mean by this?

Waterford has 122 properties to rent at the moment so does not have a housing problem like other places in the country.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What do you mean by this?

Waterford has 122 properties to rent at the moment so does not have a housing problem like other places in the country.

Try rent one of them then?
    You are believing what you read on the Internet again, Letting agents are crying out for properties to let or sell.

What?

That makes no sense. You think they're advertising fake ads?

What?

If you are a student and are willing to share with a load of people yes , there is some available, the OP is not in that market and looking for a nice place away from the Templars hall, Lismore park, Hillview student accommodation "stack em high sell em cheap" scenario.
    They are not available in Waterford, that is what I am saying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Have to agree with wellboytoo im looking for a place around the 600/700 and theres not much in the city unless you are a student,theres some very nice places out in Dunmore for 500 a month if you were willing to commute into the city

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Have you any links to these places in Dunmore for 500 a month? Havent spotted anything nice myself for that money

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

im hearing similar stories from others looking as well. if you're not a student, forget about it

Have you any links to these places in Dunmore for 500 a month? Havent spotted anything nice myself for that money

https://www.daft.ie/waterford/houses-for-rent/dunmore-east/harbour-village-dunmore-east-waterford-1586416/

Only 9 month contract until the summer rental season begins

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

What?

I would presume it's more a case of the online ads have not been updated/taken down once the places have been rented out.

That makes little sense to me.

The point about the quality of the places could though, I don't know as I'm not going to go check them all out. Twenty six places between 550-800 looks allright to me, especially that Waters Gate one!

This is all the places to rent in Waterford City, 116 places in total
    image.png

This is all the places to rent between 550-800, 26 places
    image.png

There's 15 places for <500 and then 72 places for >850, some of these will be student places though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dreamdetective

I am also thinking of living there but this post is mostly a few years old. Would love to hear from anyone with new information. I am retired and looking for a 2 bedroom.

I am also thinking of living there but this post is mostly a few years old. Would love to hear from anyone with new information. I am retired and looking for a 2 bedroom.

This thread is only 2 months old so its all new enough information,what type of place/areas are you looking at?

Heres a nice 2 bed in Morrison's road http://www.daft.ie/waterford/houses-for-rent/waterford-city/morrissons-road-waterford-city-waterford-1599342/

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

Damn lad, I'm really sorry I wasn't online for a couple of months. I live on Canada St. for a last year and it's terrible mistake. It's full of scumbags, thieves and junks. Both houses/apartments and park. Couple of heroin addicts, at least two active drug dealers. And roma gypsy family next door...

I hope you didn't rent anything in that area.

Advertisement