Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time connection

Options
  • 07-09-2015 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

My (newly bought) house never had an Eircom phone line connected.
    I live in a cul-de-sac which does have a phone line running to the neighbours house.
    However my neighbour tells me they have very poor speed / intermittent broadband.
    I understand there is good quality broadband in the wider area, so perhaps this is likely
    due to poor quality line down the cul-de-sac

If i sign up with Eircom :
     - Rough idea of cost for new connection (ie including connection from eircom pole 50m to house)
         (neighbour suggested there might be duct running from pole to house but i havent found it yet )
     - What length of contract i might need to sign up for .. ?
     - Will eircom tell me quality of broadband i can expect ?
     - Can i can get out of contract if broadband is not as promised ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

I live in a cul-de-sac which does have a phone line running to the neighbours house.
    However my neighbour tells me they have very poor speed / intermittent broadband.
    I understand there is good quality broadband in the wider area, so perhaps this is likely

- Rough idea of cost for new connection (ie including connection from eircom pole 50m to house)
         (neighbour suggested there might be duct running from pole to house but i havent found it yet )
    Hi little_monty

Connection/installation is free and there's an 18 month contract with a basic monthly line rental charge of €25.78 per month (although this is normally bundles with a call plan and broadband) - Before an engineer comes out all ducting works must be complete - if not the engineer will conduct a site survey and request that you arrange the ducting.

Unfortunately there are specific conditions surrounding broadband that make it clear that broadband cannot be guaranteed and a line can only be installed on it's own merits (make and take a call) basically meaning the contract will still remain even if broadband can't be delivered.

Unfortunately eircom cannot advise you of what your line can hold until it is installed but can offer you a brief indication of what speeds are like in your area.

Hope this helps.

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭little_monty

Hi little_monty

Connection/installation is free and there's an 18 month contract with a basic monthly line rental charge of €25.78 per month (although this is normally bundles with a call plan and broadband) - Before an engineer comes out all ducting works must be complete - if not the engineer will conduct a site survey and request that you arrange the ducting.

Unfortunately there are specific conditions surrounding broadband that make it clear that broadband cannot be guaranteed and a line can only be installed on it's own merits (make and take a call) basically meaning the contract will still remain even if broadband can't be delivered.

Unfortunately eircom cannot advise you of what your line can hold until it is installed but can offer you a brief indication of what speeds are like in your area.

Hope this helps.

Al
    Thanks for the clear answer Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi little_monty

Hope this helps.

Al
    Thanks for the clear answer Alan
    You're most welcome little_monty

Cheers
    Al

Advertisement