Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mangrove Jack

Options
  • 07-09-2015 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Started a "Mangrove Jack Northern style" ale last friday night. Looks like it will be very "Red". It took until today before i noticed any significant pressure in the Airlock. Original Gravity 1035. I will be adding "fresh" hops rather than pellets when the time comes. It was quite cheap at E14.95 for a 23L batch. Hoping it will be nice.
    Has anyone got any experience of this brand (Mangrove Jack) ? success ? fail ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

I only ever used one of their kits. iirc it was a pale ale kit that ended up tasting overwhelmingly 'kitty'. I brewed it about six months ago and still have half the bottles upstairs. Tbh the kit taste was so bad I just couldnt bear to drink another one! I wouldn't jump to conclusions and say that if you buy a cheap kit you will get bad beer because I've bought some cheap enough kits and got better beer than some of the premium kits. For example, most of the coopers kits I've brewed turned out better than any of the bulldog premium kits I brewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

brewed many many kits....coopers are solid beyond belief but need a dry hop except stout which is the kit no1 stout.#ditch ) . done 1 bulldog ( DIPA ) and it was 6.5/10. have brewed modified coppers to a 8/10. However find youngs craft beer kits to be superb for straight up kit brews these are worth the upgrade 9/10 in the Sierra Nevada balpark. if you can leave them 2-3 months you are in for 40x super beers#
    good also are St Peters range and woodfordes......for belgian beer brewfrem are uperb with 6months (minimum) in the bottle love the old bruin./ adidj

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anthonyvbyrne

Thanks poitinstill, - did you ever brew a "Mangrove Jack " ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Stigura

I tried a MJ Stout, recently. The jury's still out.

It wasn't really one thing, nor another. But, being truthful? I don't think my own work did it justice. I can't remember what it was, now. Too much water? Wrong temperature range? Wrong fermentation time? Dunno. I just seem to recall I didn't do it justice.

Got a couple more on the shelf now. I'll be far more circumspect and will try to remember to let this thread know.

OP; If ye interested? By all means give me a nudge, by PM, in a week or two ;)

Advertisement