Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will fibre be available in rural Wexford?

Options
  • 07-09-2015 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

Hi, I find the broadband pretty slow when I visit my parents in rural Co Wexford, I was wondering if you can give me a time-frame of when the fibre is likely to be available between Clonegal village and Bunclody?. Thanks. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Seanachai wrote: »
    Hi, I find the broadband pretty slow when I visit my parents in rural Co Wexford, I was wondering if you can give me a time-frame of when the fibre is likely to be available between Clonegal village and Bunclody?. Thanks. 
    Hi Seanachai

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]efibre availability is based on the rollout of fibre cabinets that serves efibre broadband to lines at a maximum distance of  up to 1.5Km to 2Km - this is rather unlike regular broadband where it’s available upon exchange upgrade to all lines within a 6 to 8Km radius.

If you visit this map http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/#nga-map - click on "NGA fibre broadband network" and go to you location you will see the location of these cabinets and there is a calculate distance feature to the top right hand side of the map. If you are within 2Km to a cabinet feel free to PM me your land line number and I'll check for an indication of when/or if eFibre will be available.

Thanks
    Al

[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Hi Seanachai

efibre availability is based on the rollout of fibre cabinets that serves efibre broadband to lines at a maximum distance of  up to 1.5Km to 2Km - this is rather unlike regular broadband where it’s available upon exchange upgrade to all lines within a 6 to 8Km radius.

If you visit this map http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/#nga-map - click on "NGA fibre broadband network" and go to you location you will see the location of these cabinets and there is a calculate distance feature to the top right hand side of the map. If you are within 2Km to a cabinet feel free to PM me your land line number and I'll check for an indication of when/or if eFibre will be available.

Thanks
    Al

It's 6km from the proposed Ballon exchange, does this mean that there will definitely not be fibre brought to this location even in the future? What about bringing it through the power lines?. 

Hi Seanachai

efibre availability is based on the rollout of fibre cabinets that serves efibre broadband to lines at a maximum distance of  up to 1.5Km to 2Km - this is rather unlike regular broadband where it’s available upon exchange upgrade to all lines within a 6 to 8Km radius.

Thanks
    Al

It's 6km from the proposed Ballon exchange, does this mean that there will definitely not be fibre brought to this location even in the future? What about bringing it through the power lines?. 
    Hi Seanachai

I can safely say it will not be delivered through power lines, Although I can only advise you on current infrastructural developments. As I mention above it's not the distance from the exchange that matters - it's the distance from the cabinet.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Hi Seanachai

Thanks
    Al

Hi Seanachai

I can safely say it will not be delivered through power lines, Although I can only advise you on current infrastructural developments. As I mention above it's not the distance from the exchange that matters - it's the distance from the cabinet.

Thanks
    Al
    It won't be delivered by Eircom through the power lines anyway, it's a pity that rural people ( non rural town\village dwellers ) are being left out of this plan. 

Hi Seanachai

I wish I could offer you better news but ultimately the only advice I can offer to look in to the governments "national broadband plan" which has promised to offer rural areas (currently not included in plans) speeds of up to 30Mb where works are set to being in 2016.

Thank you

Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement