Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appalling Broadband

Options
  • 07-09-2015 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

A number of months back, somebody, through the helpdesk, increased my broadband package from 3 mb to 7 mb or something similar. She gave me the impression that she may have to decrease it again if there were problems. Well, there were problems with me having to carry out a software reboot or physical reboot of the modem/rooter a couple of times a week. I put up with this however due to the increased speed. This last week, I have to reboot numerous times DAILY. It connects, disconnects constantly. It is effectively unuseable. Can someone please look into this. Rural broadband is bad enough as it is but I really cannot put up with this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

galljga1 wrote: »
    A number of months back, somebody, through the helpdesk, increased my broadband package from 3 mb to 7 mb or something similar. She gave me the impression that she may have to decrease it again if there were problems. Well, there were problems with me having to carry out a software reboot or physical reboot of the modem/rooter a couple of times a week. I put up with this however due to the increased speed. This last week, I have to reboot numerous times DAILY. It connects, disconnects constantly. It is effectively unuseable. Can someone please look into this. Rural broadband is bad enough as it is but I really cannot put up with this.
    Hi galljga1

I can look in to this, could you please PM me your land line number?

Cheers
    Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Hi galljga1

I can look in to this, could you please PM me your land line number?

Cheers
    Al
    PM sent

Thanks for the PM galljga1

I have looked in to this and I have also discussed the findings with the technical support team.

We can confirm that there are no faults on the line itself - internally nor externally. My tests also show that there is no line interference (basically showing your internal setup at the connection/socket point is perfect. Also the modem firmware is fully up to date.

The Syncing Speed is at up to 4Mb however the attenuation is quite high at 49dB meaning connection loss will certainly be expected - Attenuation is a measure of how much the signal has degraded between the DSLAM (exchange) and the modem. This is largely attributed to the distance from the exchange and can only be brought down by reducing the download speeds.

The technical support team have advised that it's best to call them, They'll be able to run some live tests with you over a call and take things from there - the speeds may need to be lowered but they will explore other options first.

You can reach technical support on free phone 1901 or on Local 1890260260

Thanks
    Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I have looked in to this and I have also discussed the findings with the technical support team.

We can confirm that there are no faults on the line itself - internally nor externally. My tests also show that there is no line interference (basically showing your internal setup at the connection/socket point is perfect. Also the modem firmware is fully up to date.

The Syncing Speed is at up to 4Mb however the attenuation is quite high at 49dB meaning connection loss will certainly be expected - Attenuation is a measure of how much the signal has degraded between the DSLAM (exchange) and the modem. This is largely attributed to the distance from the exchange and can only be brought down by reducing the download speeds.

The technical support team have advised that it's best to call them, They'll be able to run some live tests with you over a call and take things from there - the speeds may need to be lowered but they will explore other options first.

Thanks
    Al
    Cheers, it is actually stable at the moment. If (probably when) it happens again I will give them a buzz.

Thanks
    Al
    Cheers, it is actually stable at the moment. If (probably when) it happens again I will give them a buzz.
    Thanks galljga1 - fingers crossed it keeps :)

Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement