Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy ready-built or try DIY?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

The heatsink/fan that came with the CPU? Make sure the cpu fan wire isn't clipping the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 battlestar

ptyloch wrote: »
    Well I put it all together and it's working but the heat-sink is very noisy, I didn't use any additional paste on the CPU, could that be the reason?
    The other 2 fans in the case are very quiet and this one is like a chopper.
    Is it usually that loud?

I didn't use any additional paste on the CPU

What if anything was on the CPU or heat-sink?

If it was one of those heat distribution pads that is ok but not great, most builders gently remove that and use a very thin smear of a good thermal paste.

but if your CPU and Heat-sink are metal to metal they need to both be perfectly flat so all parts of the CPU die get cooled.
    Most heat-sinks Especially cheep stock ones are cast or extruded and have imperfections from forming (extruded) or uneven shrinking (cast)
    Good aftermarket Heat-sinks are usually ground after forming to ensure flatness and today's CPU's are dead flat (unlike the P90's you last did a build with)

The force that the clips holding the cooler to the chip exert should be sufficient to lock them together so the noise is very unlikely to be rattling...so

On to the noisy fan
    Your final build list does not mention an aftermarket fan so I surmise you have a stock cooler. Stock cooler fans do the job, but are in general noisy as they use a less expensive sleeve bearing and the smaller lighter Aluminum heat-sinks they are used on transmit a lot of tinny, high pitched noise. [They are designed to test-bench to just below the office noise regulations]

Now having experienced how easy modern PC's are to assemble
    You can easily change that Cooler and or fan. A superior Bearing Fan just screws on and will cost very little or if you want to grab a better heat-sink at the same time because of the Hasswell type chip you selected has been popular for ages there is a glut of good fans out there and any number of them will be on sale somewhere at any moment in the day. Or a shout out to the boards here will get you good second hand cooler cheep left over from someones upgrade

You could even go for a Passive cooler, Hydro kit or peltier for a near silent PC but they will cost a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Stock fans aren't very loud and he's described the sound as a helicopter so I think it's safe to assume either:

1) The cooler isn't installed properly

2) As already suggested, the fan header's cable is being clipped by the fan. This is quite possible as when new, the way the cable is positioned would cause that problem, you need to adjust it before installing.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

OK, parts from mindfactory arrived yesterday, I'm getting the windows key just now, the case is on the way and I'll have it either tomorrow or Monday.

Dabs.com still hasn't delivered my ssd, I ordered another one from mindfactory though.

Got stung by parcel motel for 28 euro for the case delivery, very steep I think.

Next week is building time :-)

Thanks for your help Everyone!

WTF? Did you leave it there for four days? Or did it weigh 75 kilos? Or did you get them to deliver it?
    Why were you using parcel motel anyway? Isn't delivery from Amazon free over a certain price?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ptyloch

pillphil wrote: »
    WTF? Did you leave it there for four days? Or did it weigh 75 kilos? Or did you get them to deliver it?
    Why were you using parcel motel anyway? Isn't delivery from Amazon free over a certain price?

No, through a combination of Amazon's packaging policy and my own stupidity. I didn't check the dimensions of the case I was buying and sent it to Parcel Motel, I knew that it would be too big to fit the locker and that I would have to pay extra, I thought it would be 7 euro as before with some larger orders from Amazon (steam mop, etc).

Well Amazon took the original box and put it into a bigger box and filled the space with air bags. The box was massive. Parcel motel have a special way of calculating the price by multiplying all the dimensions and dividing it by 3000. Then they charge depending on that result.

Well, it's done now and a lesson for the future learnt.

• Advertisement

Thanks again Guys,

It was the fan cable that was making the noise, it's quite like a mouse now!

The missus asked me is the PC even on now?

Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

No, through a combination of Amazon's packaging policy and my own stupidity. I didn't check the dimensions of the case I was buying and sent it to Parcel Motel, I knew that it would be too big to fit the locker and that I would have to pay extra, I thought it would be 7 euro as before with some larger orders from Amazon (steam mop, etc).

Well Amazon took the original box and put it into a bigger box and filled the space with air bags. The box was massive. Parcel motel have a special way of calculating the price by multiplying all the dimensions and dividing it by 3000. Then they charge depending on that result.

Well, it's done now and a lesson for the future learnt.

Ouch.
    I also thought 7 euro under 35kg was their standard price. Good to know.

So the PC is running great, no hassle, boots in seconds.

Can anyone recommend a graphics card to go with? I'm playing (yes, it's a video editing build ;-) ) Fallout New Vegas and the on board graphics are struggling a bit.

The choice is overwhelming, what should I be looking at when choosing a graphics card? I watched some reviews of cards on youtube but it didn't make it any easier...

Just on a side note, I am looking for value out of a card, don't want to go spending 300 euro on a graphics card, 150 would be more realistic.

Thanks for all your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

GTX950 is the best card for that money.

The 950 will preform better than an XBox, has Shadowplay for recording, cheap games etc as Sterling pointed out.

May be able to recuperate some of your losses (and then some) if the young lad will switch

The 950 is more than 150, if you want to stick to budget the GTX750Ti is about €125 and is also an excellent budget card. If you're just playing the odd thing here and there it's a great option too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Stupendousman

If one was to spend a bit more €200 - €300 for a card, is the GTX 960 4GB worth an extra €50 over the 2GB?
    I am doing a bit of casual gaming only, playing Skyrim, Batman Arkham Asylum, Shadow of Mordor.
    Also looking to get a bit of longevity from the card, do I have to go full R9 390?

I'd get the 280X over 4gb 960.

280X/960 are solid cards, should last a while if you're not a graphics snob.

Mightn't get a small enough 280X actually, but may be worth looking at

Is this the one?

Asus AMD Radeon R9 280 DirectCU II Top Graphics Card (3GB, GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0)
    Found it on Amazon
    or
    ATI Radeon R9 280X 3GB DX 11
    Found this on CES

I don't understand about it being small enough?

The second one.

Never mind that, I thought you were the guy with the mitx built.

Thanks for the info Mr. Solitude.

There are cheaper ones I'd say, but EVGA are a great manufacturer

There are cheaper ones I'd say, but EVGA are a great manufacturer

Couldn't find any cheaper ones on Amazon, this one is the cheapest 750 TI at the moment, 130 euro delivered, I think this will be fine for my build.

Thanks Digital!

Hi All,

Quick question, I just installed CPUID Hardware Monitor and found that the cores of my CPU (I5 4460) are all running around 95-100 degrees Celsius and that's only streaming some video and browsing the net. Is this something to worry about?

Some of the numbers from the monitor:

SYSTIN 30.0
    CPUTIN 40.5
    TMPIN3 99.0

Core1 TEMP 99
    CORE2 TEMP 98
    CORE3 96

I'm using the trial version of the program.
    CPU FAN is running very close to max RPM

Hope I'm just reading it wrong.....

Pics of the removed CPU fan, do I need more thermal paste?

I do need a blast of air into the PC, I know that but it was all cool to touch when I opened it.
    It didn't crash, granted it is a bit slower in the last few days but I put that down to broadband being used heavier at this time of the year.

• Advertisement

Paste wasn't applied right, replace it altogether

Paste wasn't applied right, replace it altogether

Ok, it's running at around 38 degrees now, constant, 2 monitors, video stream on one and temp monitor on the other.

Thanks Digital!

Hello Everyone!

Can't believe it's been 2 years already....

The PC is going strong, no bother at all but have a couple questions again.

Currently I have this build:

Intel Core i5 4460 4x 3.20GHz So.1150
    650 Watt Corsair VS Series Non-Modular
    ASRock H97 Pro4 Intel H97 So.1150 Dual Channel DDR3 ATX
    16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 DIMM CL9 Dual Kit

With 2 SSD's and 1 HDD and a GTX750Ti.

I would like to edit videos recorded in 4K, at the moment I find that the playback of the source files is poor, takes extra time to scrub through a clip.

What would be the best value for money change that I could do?

Replace the GTX750 with a GTX960? (Saw them on adverts for decent money but not sure if it's worth doing)
    Replace the processor with an I7?

Won't be overclocking.

Thanks for your input!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

As far as I know, you would benefit more from a CPU generational upgrade than moving to an i7.
    A GPU upgrade will not benefit you though.

So either
    • Swap i5-4460 for a Xeon 1231 v3 / i7-4770 / i7-4790 (€250-300)
    • Sell the CPU/motherboard/RAM and upgrade to a Ryzen 5-1600 setup (€430 including motherboard + RAM)

And tbh you'd see bigger much bigger gains from the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    A GPU upgrade will not benefit you though.

Why do you say that?

Depending on his editing suite GPU acceleration can play a big role. Encoding is done by the CPU, playback of the current edit is done by the GPU.

ED E wrote: »
    Why do you say that?

Depending on his editing suite GPU acceleration can play a big role. Encoding is done by the CPU, playback of the current edit is done by the GPU.

I use Premiere Pro which uses the CUDA cores so that's why I was asking about the GPU replacement.

Thanks Guys!

Upgrade to i7-4770/4790 2nd hand when you find a decent deal (they go for about €220 regularly), far less hassle then upgrading the full platform.

You could also get a 2nd hand GTX770 for about €100, which is more than twice as powerful as the GTx750Ti with literally double the cuda cores.

Total cost, ~€320 and you'd get €150 back for the i5-4460 and GTX750Ti so the real cost is about €170.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://ark.intel.com/compare/80910,80806,75122

Xeon 1231 v3 is essentially a 4790 without the iGPU & slightly different clockspeeds, but available new for ~€245-250.

Advertisement