Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

BadTurtle wrote: »
    They don't really have to announce acts at all, considering its sold out.

There, I've cracked it. No more acts will be announced. And if there's any griping they'll start taking bands off the lineup.

Well, no, imo they still have to make the lineup on the actual festival impressive, because they need to sell tickets for next year, but they don't need to really hype up the lineup too much in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Announcing acts after tickets have all sold out doesn't make sense to me. Was it always this way with EP?

Isn't that what always happens at Glastonbury?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

MJohnston wrote: »
    Well, no, imo they still have to make the lineup on the actual festival impressive, because they need to sell tickets for next year, but they don't need to really hype up the lineup too much in advance.

Yep, that was a joke.

Yep, that was a joke.

I don't know man, it's before lunch, I haven't had my sugar dose yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Announcing acts after tickets have all sold out doesn't make sense to me. Was it always this way with EP?

The acts are already booked, what are you gonna do?

Have people turn up at the festival to find out who's playing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Can't say because this is by far the earliest it's sold out. Usually sells out in July/August (or not at all). There's usually a May announcement, and a late-July announcement, for the lineups.
    Doesn't usually sell out in advance, thats only happened the last couple of years. This is the earliest its ever sold out I think, so its not usually something they have to worry about.

Doesn't really give them much motivation to get big acts for the last announcements, does it? Anyone they are still finalising booking they could decide to drop once tickets sell out in favour of cheaper acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,639 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Doesn't really give them much motivation to get big acts for the last announcements, does it? Anyone they are still finalising booking they could decide to drop once tickets sell out in favour of cheaper acts.

Hurts them next year.

Snarky Snark Snark

More than next year, it would hurt them in multiple locations, remember that FR have festivals in UK and Europe, they would be put at risk if they took that approach to artist management.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

AdamD wrote: »
    Hurts them next year.

Sure, but if they are selling out that quickly they'll probably assume they can be spending a lot less and still sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

Do you think it sold out early this year due to people buying up tickets for EP knowing they would miss Body & Soul due to them going to the Euros?

Just thinking out loud here!!

• Advertisement

It sold out because of the initial lineup, the timing wasn't a coincidence

Snarky Snark Snark

According to press it was half sold out anyway by the time of the initial announcement (loyalty tickets/early bird pricing etc..), so even a semi decent line up had a good chance of selling out with the number of tickets left.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭GhostMutt30

The hype surrounding the festival on the weekend last year and the year before was so mental that more and more people are getting their tickets earlier and earlier so they don't miss out. Last year was such a huge success that I don't think the line up this year mattered as much as before, but sayin that if they were to skimp on this years lineup then people wouldnt be too pushed about the festival anymore and they'd surely have a hard time selling for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

any "big" act is booked several months in advance. most headliners are booked at least a year in advance. any remotely known international acts will have been booked well before EP sold out.
    the only acts getting booked between it selling out and another announcement are ones that will be well down the lineup, or Irish ones that are at nothing else at the time. decent international acts have touring schedules finalised several months in advance, so their plans, and any EP appearances, will have been sorted a long time ago.

any "big" act is booked several months in advance. most headliners are booked at least a year in advance. any remotely known international acts will have been booked well before EP sold out.
    the only acts getting booked between it selling out and another announcement are ones that will be well down the lineup, or Irish ones that are at nothing else at the time. decent international acts have touring schedules finalised several months in advance, so their plans, and any EP appearances, will have been sorted a long time ago.

That makes sense. But if they still have big acts to announce, why would they wait? Or are they unlikely to have any big acts left announce for this reason?

Snarky Snark Snark

That makes sense. But if they still have big acts to announce, why would they wait? Or are they unlikely to have any big acts left announce for this reason?

There can be embargoes in place due to acts having their own gigs / record release dates which take priority for them in terms of publicity.

Blur would have been booked way way in advance of last years May 5th announcement but they had an album release date of April 27th.

(when you think of it, planning this ****e must be one hell of a headache)

Knowing PR folks, they'll have outlined a calendar of announcements long ago, and won't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

...for food.

Stopped reading after the number one 'act/chef' was Roz Purcell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Nah, a certain percentage might have bought tickets based on the lineup but the vast majority had intended to go before that. There's a huge chunk will be going simply because of the reputation of the festival, or because their friends are going or because of the hype last year.

• Advertisement

Nah, a certain percentage might have bought tickets based on the lineup but the vast majority had intended to go before that. There's a huge chunk will be going simply because of the reputation of the festival, or because their friends are going or because of the hype last year.

Of course, and last year's festival will have upped that number considerably. But the reason it sold out *early* I reckon was due to the lineup, given how quickly the sell out happened after the initial lineup was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

didn't the tickets only go back onsale just as the lineup was announced? people who didn't buy early bird tickets had several months to get the money together for tickets in March.

the announcement was pretty bog-standard, not much to make people go mad and snap up tickets really.
    i wouldn't say it had much impact at all TBH, the vast majority of people who bought their tickets then probably would have bought them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd say a lot of tickets went on the early bird, probably more than the expected, we all snapped them up at 160 a ticket from easons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The hype surrounding the festival on the weekend last year and the year before was so mental that more and more people are getting their tickets earlier and earlier so they don't miss out. Last year was such a huge success that I don't think the line up this year mattered as much as before, but sayin that if they were to skimp on this years lineup then people wouldnt be too pushed about the festival anymore and they'd surely have a hard time selling for next year

My wife was on to me the week that the early bird was closing to tell me to buy my ticket for next year. She has no interest in music and just saw it on the Journal or Irish Times or something. The saving on the EB is so significant and the hype so great that the early sell out is nearly guaranteed as long as the line up does deteriorate too much from year to year.

BTW My wife rocks!!!

BTW My wife rocks!!!

So your allowed off with the lads for the Weekend:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I doubt that this particular line in itself would sell out a 18,000 capacity event. Its hardly awe inspiring.

I can't remember the date of the tickets being sold out, but I suspect it was soon after people got their monthly salaries and didn't want to take the chance of waiting another month..

Telling ye lads, you're drastically underestimating the popularity of LCD in this country, and especially amongst the EP demographic.

Telling ye lads, you're drastically underestimating the popularity of LCD in this country, and especially amongst the EP demographic.

I've tried and tried, can't get into them, id' be much happier to see **** Robot up there in the big letters. Tent was packed for him at EP the last time he played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I've tried and tried, can't get into them, id' be much happier to see **** Robot up there in the big letters. Tent was packed for him at EP the last time he played.

New album is a major let down IMO. LCD are by miles the better act.

• Advertisement

New album is a major let down IMO. LCD are by miles the better act.

Haven't heard it yet, just spinning this now https://soundcloud.com/djmag/dj-mag-weekly-podcast-sht-robot , he was deadly live though.
    I find LCD top tracks mediocre at best.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement