Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I did say poppy, I'd see her in the same vein as Pet Shop Boys, no question on them being a pop act but doesn't mean they are dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Would Sia be a realistic booking? She is over in Europe for a few shows around August?

If Sia was announced! I might possibly rage swing from a chand..le.lelier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I never heard of her tbh. (I recognised that chandelier song when i checked spotify though).

Must only be a few weeks to the next announcement now, and all the outrage at how shíte the new acts are..

Snarky Snark Snark

Ah, sher we're only a few months since the last announcement, why would we be needing another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Sia has come a long way from her better days doing vocals for Zero 7.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

Heligoland in 2010 and an EP Ritual Magic I think last year.

They've played 2 dates already here this year (Olympia - January), don't know if that's a good or bad omen and they have another date on the same weekend (home gig in Bristol so if it was them, they'd not have far to go)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I wish I could throw something to the table, a self-confirm or possible realistic rumours but I haven't a notion who is going to be billed in the line up next. They (EP) seem to have the rumour mill sown up this year, previously you used to get a few self-confirms for the line up. I suppose its just worth monitoring other Festival Republic festivals nearer to Picnic time and doing the guess work there.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

The latest announcement from Electric Picnic Facebook.

13244882_10154200699124168_8571769793266441497_n.jpg?oh=2f40a976c0781e9af2a906f3a52b07c4&oe=579FC399&__gda__=1474804423_21ce5b45ff8caca2f94011b766197d36

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

MJohnston wrote: »
    Telling ye lads, you're drastically underestimating the popularity of LCD in this country, and especially amongst the EP demographic.

I gotta say that I'm fully in agreement with MJohnston as to the popularity of LCD who may draw an even bigger crowd that Radiohead (who I expect to be announced). Don't underestimate the number of people who actively dislike Radiohead, a superior band I believe but they'll drive a fair few people to the woods, Bacardi tent or elsewhere. LCD will attract those same people. I read an earlier comment about LCD not attracting the 23-year old demographic, but that's not borne out by the number of younger Picnic-goers who were in the Despacio tent last year nor at Murphy's several DJ appearances over the years.
    Don't forget that they drew a huge crowd when headlining in 2007. They were good then but better in 2010 when they rammed the Electric Arena and left hundreds outside.
    They're the same band whose standing has grown with each passing year and who are headlining Open'er, Roskilde, Coachella, Bonaroo and other festivals far bigger than EP. They're also headlining Primavera alongside Radiohead and at Glasto I presume they'll be headlining the Other Stage (an area that can hold 70,000 and LCD will draw close to that). The resultant TV hype from that set will further add to LCD's lustre. In summary I understand why people don't like them, but don't underestimate their pulling power. I believe they'll have the biggest crowd of the weekend.

I also think that the first announcement is the best we've had in years. When it's fleshed out by the second and third I think it'll be the best since 2005/2007. The kids are already catered for with Jack Garrett, Years & Years, Jack Garratt, Wolf Alice and Lana Del Ray (last two are decent acts IMHO) so I'm expecting more serious second and third announcements. Having Radiohead, Brian Wilson doing Pet Sounds, The Shins, Goat, King Gizzard, M83, Cat Power, Teenage Fanclub, Thee Oh Sees, Squeeze and Iggy Pop (or most of those) could see EP having one of the top worldwide lineups of 2016. And I fully expect that. Have faith people.

Too Oxegeny or MCD act.

Sure could say the same thing about The Manics and they played last year, so Biffy Clyro technically could still play at EP, but i'd say they would be more Marlay Park suited, then again you never know......
    Surely the Manics are far more EP than Oxegen. Same with Blur & others who've played both. Bradfield & co are a left-wing experimental indie band who've been around for quarter of a century and hardly appeal more to the Oxegen pop kids. Biffy not an EP band, and not my style, but I'd not begrudge them a Picnic slot as they're a decent live band and there are always alternative stages to go to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Hermitage green all but self confirmed themselves on today fm this morning. "Playing a festival at the end of summer somewhere near portlaoise"

Snarky Snark Snark

neddynono wrote: »
    Hermitage green all but self confirmed themselves on today fm this morning. "Playing a festival at the end of summer somewhere near portlaoise"

Have heard of them, they any good?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Michael Eavis made some comments that suggest Radiohead may be playing Glastonbury soon, either as a secret set this year or a headliner next year. Or maybe both.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Have heard of them, they any good?

I've seen them a few times. They put on a good show. More of a live band than a record band imo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They're really taking the piss with the lineup announcements at this stage. What could be causing the delay? Bands sort their touring schedules months and months in advance so it should have been sorted by the end of last year. Unless after it sold out they went about cancelling loads of expensive acts to increase profits? Hardly but I'm starting to get a bit worried now.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

MadYaker wrote: »
    They're really taking the piss with the lineup announcements at this stage. What could be causing the delay? Bands sort their touring schedules months and months in advance so it should have been sorted by the end of last year. Unless after it sold out they went about cancelling loads of expensive acts to increase profits? Hardly but I'm starting to get a bit worried now.

Maybe They've nothing good to announce 😳 I'd rather they announced the full lineup in one go at the start like cochella does

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The reason they do 2 announcements is to boost ticket sales if they're slow in the summer. Obviously that's not a problem this year which makes the delay even more perplexing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

There is not a snowballs chance in hell of LCD beating Radioheads crowd should they be added.

Snarky Snark Snark

Maybe radiohead are doing a glasto appearance and they're waiting for that announcement to happen first

Or maybe lcd cost so much that we've now seen the entire line up

BadTurtle wrote: »
    There is not a snowballs chance in hell of LCD beating Radioheads crowd should they be added.

Hmmm would not be that certain on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Maybe radiohead are doing a glasto appearance and they're waiting for that announcement to happen first

Or maybe lcd cost so much that we've now seen the entire line up

Hmmm would not be that certain on that one

In all fairness Radiohead would probably pull a bigger crowd than LCD, but the gas thing is we're all speculating on bands and acts who might'nt even appear at all at this festival in the first place. The organisers are doing a great job at keeping everyone perplexed, thats for sure :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I'd say the EP bookers read this thread and piss themselves laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Bradfield & co are a left-wing experimental indie band

When did this happen?

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Bradfield & co are a left-wing experimental indie band

When did this happen?
    With Futurology.

Eavis made some comments that suggest Radiohead may be playing Glastonbury soon, either as a secret set this year or a headliner next year. Or maybe both.
    Nailed on for next year I reckon, very surprised they weren't announced for this year but I guess they didn't want to commit as they weren't sure they'd have the album out by June. All speculation of course. They could do a secret set again, but the 2011 one was underwhelming so it'd be smarter to wait until next Summer, the last Glasto before a break. Time to re-register for tickets.

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Don't be so sure. I prefer the latter, but there are many who dislike Yorke's voice, their perceived miserabilism or semi-proggy style. For me they've been the best band on the planet for years. For others LCD will be the main event and they'll attract all the dance heads. Whatever happens, to have those two as headliners would be a hell of a coup for EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The next announcement from EP will be in and around the same as previous years I'd guess. 2 sub headliners or headliners for the main stage, 3 or 4 heads/subs for the other stages such as the EA, LBT, Rankins Wood, a couple of electronic acts, some good upcoming bands and plenty of more good acts to fill lots of other slots. In and around 20-25 acts altogether. Whether people like it or not is all subjective, they won't please everyone but I would be confident that it will be a solid announcement with something for everyone, no need for anyone to worry about the second announcement just because it has sold out. It is a frustrating wait, especially when every other festival seems to have the majority of their line up out, but I would be fairly certain that we will hear something in the next two or three weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

The next announcement from EP will be in and around the same as previous years I'd guess. 2 sub headliners or headliners for the main stage, 3 or 4 heads/subs for the other stages such as the EA, LBT, Rankins Wood, a couple of electronic acts, some good upcoming bands and plenty of more good acts to fill lots of other slots. In and around 20-25 acts altogether. Whether people like it or not is all subjective, they won't please everyone but I would be confident that it will be a solid announcement with something for everyone, no need for anyone to worry about the second announcement just because it has sold out. It is a frustrating wait, especially when every other festival seems to have the majority of their line up out, but I would be fairly certain that we will hear something in the next two or three weeks.

This.

Speak to anyone involved in booking any festival and they'll tell you that major festivals are getting out and doing their bookings earlier and earlier. The MD of a small Irish festival (sorry, I dont have any EP connections!!!) told me that last August, they were aware of EP and Longitude already having some acts for this year booked.

I'd be stunned if there were any paid bands yet to be booked - especially major ones. They would all likely have been in the bag long before it sold out.

As for why they are holding out so long, or why they may have held off a headliner, who knows. Typically, it was to build a buzz and boost ticket sales which would naturally dwindle in the weeks between announcements. Obviously there is no boost to ticket sales needed this year, so I can't pretend to know what they're thinking.

On the headliners point that keeps coming back up... LCD are massively popular here. Someone else had a list of the other festivals they are headlining this summer - in itself, that should settle the debate. They'll attract a major crowd.

I dont see Radiohead being added - they don't have a huge amount of dates announced for this year and haven't added anything new in weeks. If it was a regular stream of gigs, I'd say 'yeah, maybe' but with just 25 dates set for the rest of the year, I wouldn't be surprised if the big world tour we've been pining for is 2017 instead.

Radiohead would have sold out the festival on their own if they were added so I dont see the wisdom in holding them back either. And, sticking to my point about bookings well in advance, I cant imagine they were suddenly suggested to Festival Republic in April or anything. Instead, I'd expect a the current 4 on the top of the bill (LCD, Lana del Ray, New Order and Chemical Brothers) to be joined by 2 more sub-headliners and split across the days like this:

FRI: New Order + AN Other
    SAT: LCD + Chemical Brothers
    SUN: LDR + AN OTHER

The next announcement, whenever it comes, will probably be about 50 acts of all shapes and sizes, and be followed pretty quickly by B&S and that will make the poster look a lot more festival-ready.

I would argue that Radiohead would be a good case in being booked as they fit in Like Blur last year and Portishead the year before, a high calibre rock act with a great archive of sounds plus new product. OK it could be argued that Portishead didn't have new product but nearly everything they've released up till then have been classics and they packed out that two hours with seminal classics, even missing one of their biggest hits Only You. The Picnic has brought a standard to their bill that they have to sustain. LCD are another act with a nice selection of archival stuff that stretches back eleven years and with a new album promised and of course New Order, need I say any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Fugs!!

Death in vegas have a new album coming out this summer. Possibles?

• Advertisement

Fugs!! wrote: »
    Death in vegas have a new album coming out this summer. Possibles?

Haven't played since 2011, yeah I say a good chance if touring August and September, hopefully the dinosaur skeletons will come back too.

Edit: They seem to be active late August alright booked to play five nights in Berlin, for a Kraftwerk event from 24th - 28th August. https://www.residentadvisor.net/dj/deathinvegas/dates

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement