Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Fugs!! wrote: »
    Death in vegas have a new album coming out this summer. Possibles?

I would pay seriously good additional money to watch iggy pop chasing a random terrified bint across the verdant fields of co Laois screaming that he's a murderer with a backing band in tow on a tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Fugs!!

I was there for that skeleton. It's was so very apt at the time bloody loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

FRI: New Order + AN Other
    SAT: LCD + Chemical Brothers
    SUN: LDR + AN OTHER
    I agree with much of what you say, but Lana Del Ray ain't headlining. She may do a sub-headline slot but is more likely to do a late afternoon/early evening set like Hozier, Ellie Goulding, etc. I thus believe that the missing headliner is Radiohead and we may have another headliner in the place of New Order. Or Brian Wilson to sub-headline as he did before Madness in 2009. Primal Scream could also return (they're playing with Massive Attack that weekend in Bristol). Whatever happens, the doom-mongers should take it easy as there are plenty of very decent acts to be added.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I agree with much of what you say, but Lana Del Ray ain't headlining. She may do a sub-headline slot but is more likely to do a late afternoon/early evening set like Hozier, Ellie Goulding, etc. I thus believe that the missing headliner is Radiohead and we may have another headliner in the place of New Order. Or Brian Wilson to sub-headline as he did before Madness in 2009. Primal Scream could also return (they're playing with Massive Attack that weekend in Bristol). Whatever happens, the doom-mongers should take it easy as there are plenty of very decent acts to be added.

Agree LDR will not headline the Main Stage as said she will either do a mid afternoon set (Hozier/Ellie) or sub the headliner(Sam Smith).

Primal Scream are headlining Sea Sessions next month

Id be shocked if Radiohead are not the final headliner

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

There could be a choice alright, maybe Muse, The Cure, Massive Attack, Radiohead and I hear others saying Red Hot Chilli Peppers (I hope not), fcuk knows really, I hope next announcement banners start appearing soon as all this guesstulating is giving me a sore head ha ha.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Don't be so sure. I prefer the latter, but there are many who dislike Yorke's voice, their perceived miserabilism or semi-proggy style. For me they've been the best band on the planet for years. For others LCD will be the main event and they'll attract all the dance heads. Whatever happens, to have those two as headliners would be a hell of a coup for EP.

How in the name of God can anyone dislike that voice?

I'm a fan of The Smiths and Morrissey also, so I am well used to liking a band and a voice that many, many others vehemently dislike. I just had no idea that people held any strong feelings in that regard towards Radiohead. To me (like you) they are the best band on the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

You are all getting my hopes up again for Radiohead.

Why would it not have been announced yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

sadie06 wrote: »
    . I just had no idea that people held any strong feelings in that regard towards Radiohead.

There's definitely a lot of people actively dislike them, I think in part down to seeing them as "pretentious" or uppity.

They would draw a massive crowd I'm sure though, and I'll be absolutely delighted if they end up playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I mentioned before that I think the PR schedule was probably determined months and months ago, before the last festival even, and they're sticking to that PR schedule even though it's now sold out because that's the easiest way to go about things. My experience working with PR (in a completely different industry mind you) tells me that they hate moving schedules because it was such a pain in the arse for them to coordinate them in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

On the headliners point that keeps coming back up... LCD are massively popular here. Someone else had a list of the other festivals they are headlining this summer - in itself, that should settle the debate. They'll attract a major crowd.
    i doubt it. their crowd at Coachella was, by several accounts, quite small. one of the smallest headliner crowds in recent memory.
    i have little doubt they'll have small crowds at various other US festivals too.

they're not that big here either. their 3rd Tripod night didn't even sell out straight away, still tickets left later that evening (at least). they're headliners, but the field won't be packed or anything.

• Advertisement

On the headliners point that keeps coming back up... LCD are massively popular here. Someone else had a list of the other festivals they are headlining this summer - in itself, that should settle the debate. They'll attract a major crowd.
    i doubt it. their crowd at Coachella was, by several accounts, quite small. one of the smallest headliner crowds in recent memory.
    i have little doubt they'll have small crowds at various other US festivals too.

they're not that big here either. their 3rd Tripod night didn't even sell out straight away, still tickets left later that evening (at least). they're headliners, but the field won't be packed or anything.
    Have a look at their audience at Glasto (I expect it to be enormous, regardless of the clashes) and the resultant hype after they storm it. They're far bigger now than in 2010.

And Coachella ain't what it was. By all accounts dance stuff has taken over. The cool kids have headed elsewhere. Everywhere else they play will be rammed.

A possible explanation is that their album hits the shops on 17 June and an announcement that week would boost the sales of CDs and vinyl.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A possible explanation is that their album hits the shops on 17 June and an announcement that week would boost the sales of CDs and vinyl.

I doubt that's the reason.

They announced (and sold out) their whole tour before even confirming that there was an album.

I doubt that's the reason.

They announced (and sold out) their whole tour before even confirming that there was an album.
    It's got to be a possibility though. Apart from Lollapalooza Berlin all the European dates are early Summer (last one is NOS Lisbon 7-9 July) and thus had to be announced by Feb/March. Even if Radiohead announce in mid-June there'll still be eleven weeks to the Picnic.

Snarky Snark Snark

<donaldtrump>Don't worry about the announcement, everybody is gonna love the announcement, it's gonna be a great announcement, we just have the best announcements, everybody loves them. Those other festivals, those are just low energy announcements. They're loser announcements.

And Pink Moon is gonna have a wall, it's gonna be beautiful, i know how to build a wall folks, it's gonna keep the scum out, you'll love my wall.</donaldtrump>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Come on ... Make it happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Wild Beasts have announced new album to be released on 5th August so we should have some new tracks from that in their set. Can't post their new song as I'm in work but I like it, but of a departure form their previous record but they tend to be a band that can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

keith_d99 wrote: »

Come on ... Make it happen!

Sounds like a snippet of the track they did with Danny Brown in there. I won't be getting my hopes up on a new album before this documentary is released but they could be in with a shout for EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Sounds like a snippet of the track they did with Danny Brown in there. I won't be getting my hopes up on a new album before this documentary is released but they could be in with a shout for EP.

Single rumoured this week

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Wild Beasts have announced new album to be released on 5th August so we should have some new tracks from that in their set. Can't post their new song as I'm in work but I like it, but of a departure form their previous record but they tend to be a band that can do that.

They were 'meh' a few years back, They should put them in a tent this time

• Advertisement

OK it could be argued that Portishead didn't have new product but nearly everything they've released up till then have been classics and they packed out that two hours with seminal classics, even missing one of their biggest hits Only You.
    Weren't they superb? And when Machine Gun kicked in. Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

I think a RHCP greatest hits set on the sat or sunday night when locked would be a good laugh. I find it unlikely they will be there though.
    I would prefer that to Radiohead of which im sure ill know next to none of the songs played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

They were 'meh' a few years back, They should put them in a tent this time

I slightly disagree with the 'meh' part but fully agree with the tent part.

They've played the festival twice before and both times have been given the exact same mid afternoon stage time for some reason. Forbidden fruit had them headlining the Undergrowth stage (I think) 2 years ago and they were great, hopefully EP take that route this time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'm fed up with the wait here guys so I'm just assuming they are announced, just post videos of who you want announced and it should happen.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Snarky Snark Snark

srm23 wrote: »
    I think a RHCP greatest hits set on the sat or sunday night when locked would be a good laugh. I find it unlikely they will be there though.

They wont be there, they have dates in Eastern Europe on the 2nd and 4th (Budapest & Prague).

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

It's intriguing that the will they/won't they debate on Radiohead seems so evenly split. Usually when someone mentions a big act on here for EP you get the feeling that there's about 20% chance of them turning up.

A few of you seem quite confident on both sides.

How about these guys for a late afternoon main stage slot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jptSHuThLE

How about these guys for a late afternoon main stage slot.

Snarky Snark Snark

It's intriguing that the will they/won't they debate on Radiohead seems so evenly split. Usually when someone mentions a big act on here for EP you get the feeling that there's about 20% chance of them turning up.

maybe we should create a thread with a poll? Are we able to create threads with polls?]

It would allow the winning side to point and laugh

• Advertisement

They're an ideal Picnic act and the bookers for EP would have sought them.

There's an obvious vacant headline slot (or two).

They're scheduled for comparably sized festivals.

They're playing a Festival Republic slot the week after in Berlin so FR could have booked them in for two shows.

The list of other potential headliners or sub-headliners is narrowing down by the week as gigs get announced and bands get ruled out. Eg Noel Gallagher, RHCP, Primal Scream, etc. That still leaves Muse and some others as an option but I'd be very surprised if Radiohead aren't playing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement