Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Do you think they might book the Cure again seeing as they are playing Bestival the weekend after, I saw them myself in 2012 so will probably pop off to another stage if they are booked.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Do you think they might book the Cure again seeing as they are playing Bestival the weekend after, I saw them myself in 2012 so will probably pop off to another stage if they are booked.

They'd have to be a possibility wouldn't they?

I saw them listed in Consequence of Sound's '25 tours to catch this summer' and had the same thought...

Also see Brian Wilson on their list. Just one free night the weekend of Picnic. He's in Denmark on Thursday, free Friday, England Saturday and Scotland Sunday. Can he do 4 gigs in 4 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Ah to hell with it folks, just post more videos of who you like to see, more Radiohead please, yum yum, heres the gig from Amsterdam recently, enjoy!!!! (pity the camera seems to be nearly 2 miles away from the stage!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Also see Brian Wilson on their list. Just one free night the weekend of Picnic. He's in Denmark on Thursday, free Friday, England Saturday and Scotland Sunday. Can he do 4 gigs in 4 days?

I'd have thought that's quite an ask for a chap of his age, I mean, he's no Lennie Cohen in terms of having looked after himself.

Think I've said it before, not seen the Cure before, wouldn't mind them at all

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I wouldn't mind Muse at all, they're a crackin live act but think the picnic is a bit far out from the end of their tour for it to be added on and they've no UK dates around that time which is what you'd expect if they were going to be over here.

Yea no they have no UK dates but they are doing Lowlands in Netherlands a week or 2 before EP. I cant see their whole rig fitting on the EP main stage unless they downsize which i cant see

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

I saw them listed in Consequence of Sound's '25 tours to catch this summer

Had a quick look at that, Garbage! Didn't know they were back in action, if they're about, they've got to be in with a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Lots of forty and fifty-somethings there last year. The TV coverage has kicked in.

Hey! I didn't stop loving good music the day I turned 40, and believe it or not, neither will you.

I command you to think of the above comment the day you turn 40….COMMAND YOU!!! ;)

Snarky Snark Snark

I suspect the poster has long since blasted past that age

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

This.

Instead, I'd expect a the current 4 on the top of the bill (LCD, Lana del Ray, New Order and Chemical Brothers) to be joined by 2 more sub-headliners and split across the days like this:

FRI: New Order + AN Other
    SAT: LCD + Chemical Brothers
    SUN: LDR + AN OTHER

I'd agree with this 100% although maybe LCD on the Sunday either. It's hard to know who could fill those slots though realistically, Radiohead really do feel like one of few who are touring and seem like a possibility, my gut instinct is telling me they will be announced but it's 50/50 at this stage. Jim Carroll did say that there were a few acts missing from who he was told so that would make me think there is still 1 or 2 big enough acts to come.

Who else is touring (that is also realistic) that is big enough to headline or sub headline? Radiohead, Muse, The Cure, Massive Attack, Iggy Pop... Would any of Brian Wilson, The Last Shadow Puppets or PJ Harvey be big enough to fill either of those slots? After that it's hard to think of any others. I presume we have ruled RHCP and NGHFB both out?

Whats the forest stage another poster was referring to, are you talking about the stage formally known as the Red Bull stage/Rave in the Woods. It would be nice if they brought something different to that area and at least used it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I thought the attendees were getting younger.
    Could be. Wish I was. Reckon we're both right and the age range is widening. Good to see.

I reckon too soon given their lack of new material. But given how great they were in 2012 I'd be happy with their return. With a good second announcement I think you'll have loads of options on other stuff to see anyway.

sadie06 wrote: »
    Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Lots of forty and fifty-somethings there last year. The TV coverage has kicked in.

Hey! I didn't stop loving good music the day I turned 40, and believe it or not, neither will you.

I command you to think of the above comment the day you turn 40 .COMMAND YOU!!! ;)
    Alas Sadie, for me 40 was a good decade ago.

This.

Instead, I'd expect a the current 4 on the top of the bill (LCD, Lana del Ray, New Order and Chemical Brothers) to be joined by 2 more sub-headliners and split across the days like this:

FRI: New Order + AN Other
    SAT: LCD + Chemical Brothers
    SUN: LDR + AN OTHER

I'd agree with this 100% although maybe LCD on the Sunday either. It's hard to know who could fill those slots though realistically, Radiohead really do feel like one of few who are touring and seem like a possibility, my gut instinct is telling me they will be announced but it's 50/50 at this stage. Jim Carroll did say that there were a few acts missing from who he was told so that would make me think there is still 1 or 2 big enough acts to come.

Who else is touring (that is also realistic) that is big enough to headline or sub headline? Radiohead, Muse, The Cure, Massive Attack, Iggy Pop... Would any of Brian Wilson, The Last Shadow Puppets or PJ Harvey be big enough to fill either of those slots? After that it's hard to think of any others. I presume we have ruled RHCP and NGHFB both out?
    Polly Jean (2011 to Interpol) and Brian Wilson (2009 to Madness) have both sub-headlined in the past, both I believe big enough to do the same, particularly if Wilson is doing Pet Sounds. PJH big enough to headline Primavera, and reckon there's a chance of her returning but as Scruff has said it's unlikely we'll see Wilson doing 4 gigs in 4 days. A huge pity as that set would be very special indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Morcheeba please, pretty please.... They are playing gigs this year.
    If not, then Groove Armada please. No objections to Tricky either....

I think that would finish some of the bands I would love to see.

From that ilk, I've seen Leftfield, Massive Attack, Basement Jaxx....

Ooh I would be very happy with The Cure. Seriously showing my age here :o

I don't really care after that that much, I have seen some absolutely stunning acts from suggestions from here. I let all of you educate my out of date tastes.

I would love to see two bands I saw in Indiependence last year, both from Dublin, gah, can't think of names. And really wouldn't mind seeing Little Green Cars, missed them 2/3 years ago as Robert Plant was on main stage.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Morcheeba please, pretty please.... They are playing gigs this year.
    If not, then Groove Armada please. No objections to Tricky either....

I think that would finish some of the bands I would love to see.

From that ilk, I've seen Leftfield, Massive Attack, Basement Jaxx....

Ooh I would be very happy with The Cure. Seriously showing my age here :o

I don't really care after that that much, I have seen some absolutely stunning acts from suggestions from here. I let all of you educate my out of date tastes.

I would love to see two bands I saw in Indiependence last year, both from Dublin, gah, can't think of names. And really wouldn't mind seeing Little Green Cars, missed them 2/3 years ago as Robert Plant was on main stage.

Morcheeba hasn't been active since 2013, Groove Armada DJ set already playing Forbidden Fruit, Tricky would be cool especially if he came with Massive Attack, has he nor been touring with them recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Robert Plant in 2013! I really enjoyed his set. I don't think he's touring atm though.

Snarky Snark Snark

Morcheeba hasn't been active since 2013, Groove Armada DJ set already playing Forbidden Fruit, Tricky would be cool especially if he came with Massive Attack, has he nor been touring with them recently.

Morcheeba were touring last year, setlist.fm is your friend for checking things like that

Morcheeba were touring last year, setlist.fm is your friend for checking things like that

Was googling them but never saw anything about last year.

Edit: Just checked setlist.fm they were touring September last year, so apologies Queen-Mise I gave you wrong information.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Surely they will make some sort of announcement this week?

• Advertisement

Surely they will make some sort of announcement this week?

I hope so, soonish anyway.

Snarky Snark Snark

07-1981-30482-Its-A-Mystery-German-7-Front-480x480.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Announcement KLAXON!!!
    A RUBBISH SONG FOR EUROPE

The Twentieth Anniversary of Season 2 Episode 2 of Father Ted.
    (the one with the song about the pony!)
    To be performed live at Electric Picnic Trailer Park 2016

To mark the twentieth anniversary of that Father Ted episode ‘My Lovely Ranch’, Electric Picnic’s Trailer Park will host a very unique song contest ‘A Rubbish Song for Europe’ encouraging fans to re-create the infamous My Lovely Horse, the joking Eurovision hopeful from 1996.

The winner of A Rubbish Song for Europe will be selected at a LIVE talent (if that is the word) contest at Electric Picnic's Trailer Park Area 'My Lovely Ranch'.

**** it, with that on the bill, who needs Radiohead?

Snarky Snark Snark

That sounds ****ing woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

That sounds ****ing woeful.

Look Dick, you lost fair and square.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Look Dick, you lost fair and square.

Out of context I thought you were just calling him a dick!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

I hope they don't make any more announcements and we just have to turn up and get lucky with what stages we go to see. What do you all think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

New Pantha du Prince album is rather decent. First note of the album is a fecking bell and there are more bell sounds throughout ;) ... maybe he can be the new Jon Hopkins if the trendy kids decide he is cool.

On the announcement front, I am speculating that the organisers are scrambling to find replacements for their surprise mega headliners, David Bowie and Prince, both of whom have had to pull out for health reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

I'd be expecting an announcement after Forbidden fruit maybe. Hoping Pusha T and Young Fathers will be included.

• Advertisement

BadTurtle wrote: »
    I'd be expecting an announcement after Forbidden fruit maybe. Hoping Pusha T and Young Fathers will be included.

That would make sense, acts freed up from Forbidden Fruit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement