Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Just listening to Martin Fry on BBC 5, Abc are touring with Lexicon of Love 2, free that weekend, could be a good shout for a legacy act?
    Played in 2009 (half of the set I caught was excellent, missed the rest as they clashed with Magazine) and the bookers don't seem to bring back the legacy acts. I'd love them again, and it's been eleven years for The Human League (playing Bestival) so them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Did this lot ever play the Picnic, they totally sum up this beautiful balmy evening at the moment.

Edit: It seems they played the Picnic in 2014 at the Other Voices stage, I think they would be more suited to the afternoon main stage myself.

http://ep2014.othervoices.ie/content/peter-bj%C3%B6rn-john

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

Eh wha? Thought they were still recording it?

I read somewhere that they were recording and due for release this summer. Do you think I can find the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

They are recording, that's way off being ready to tour with it in time for EP.

Also, they've zero dates booked for anywhere, wee bit late for them to start popping up on gigs for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Dare I mention Maverick Sabre? He did an acoustic gig in Cork 2 weeks ago, he was incredible - held the crowd and I'd love to see him on a big stage.

This will be my first EP - so I'm reading this thread every day anticipating more names - but at the same time some of these rumours are getting me very excited and I'm afraid I'll be left disappointed :(

But Radiohead would be the answer to one of my many prayers. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭GhostMutt30

Any chance of Arcadia returning or is it too big now?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Was the dress up arena part of that, I have hazey memories of being dressed up and dancing with loads of topless girls.

I doubt it, the gap since they left is too long now and if they were going to be there they would have been on the line up poster, but then you'll never know, would love to see them back myself.

Do you think Bruce Springsteen is in with a shout, its all everyone is fecking talking about on Gigs and Events FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Seriously? Nah. 2 or 3 gigs in croker is enough for everyone to get their fill surely. He has a few good tunes (none of which he plays live anymore) I wouldn't be bothered seeing him. Picnic can't afford him anyway.

Let's face it it's going to be Radiohead, the fact that they definitely aren't playing glastonbury now means theres surely a good chance? They have no gigs in ireland and haven't announced for any festivals in the UK.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    Seriously? Nah. 2 or 3 gigs in croker is enough for everyone to get their fill surely. He has a few good tunes (none of which he plays live anymore) I wouldn't be bothered seeing him. Picnic can't afford him anyway.

Let's face it it's going to be Radiohead, the fact that they definitely aren't playing glastonbury now means theres surely a good chance? They have no gigs in ireland and haven't announced for any festivals in the UK.

I think if Radiohead do get announced there will be a flurry of single EP threads looking for tickets I'd imagine. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Radiohead just played a few gigs in the Roundhouse in London. Think that'll be it in UK/Ireland for the summer.

Snarky Snark Snark

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Radiohead just played a few gigs in the Roundhouse in London. Think that'll be it in UK/Ireland for the summer.

I'd be surprised, they've a bunch of european festivals at 40-50K attendances a pop.

Home market gets a set of shows that can handle 6k people only? That would be a serious "go **** yerselves" to their fans at home who cannot travel to see them
    I think if Radiohead do get announced there will be a flurry of single EP threads looking for tickets I'd imagine. :pac:

The forum will turn into a blur as touts / beggers open threads to beat the band looking for tickets and mods scurry to kill them.

aside from New Order what 'older' acts might we see added?

Snarky Snark Snark

Really hoping for Suede

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I'm optimistic about Echo and the Bunnymen.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BlaaEater

Lush.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Really hoping for Suede

Was only listening to them yesterday wondering if they'd make an appearance, have to admit, the Farm, Happy Mondays and the saw doctors were in the same play list : )
    It's right weather for a bit of bailing hay, hay.

Snarky Snark Snark

the Farm, Happy Mondays and the saw doctors

Get out of here, go on, shoo! shoo! bad monkey

flinging poo around in here!

Was only listening to them yesterday wondering if they'd make an appearance, have to admit, the Farm, Happy Mondays and the saw doctors were in the same play list : )
    It's right weather for a bit of bailing hay, hay.

I'd enjoy seeing The Farm. The other two.....not so much. The Saw Doctors would prob be a bit of a laugh though

• Advertisement

EP don't seem to invite many acts back unless they're headliners/sub-headliners and they've got major new material like the Pet Shop Boys & New Order.
    Thus the chances of ABC (despite the new album), Bunnymen & Human League probably ain't great even though they're all playing fests or gigs.
    More likely I think are:
    Squeeze (playing Dublin on Sat & Sun of EP)
    James (playing fests)
    Air
    Teenage Fanclub (starting their UK tour in Bristol on 3 Sept and at End of the Road that weekend. Probably not, but there's a chance).
    And what about acts that have never played but would fit in - Heaven 17, Blacmange, SLF, Ash, Pixies, Wire?

All this speculation can't be good for my mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I wouldn't mind Heaven 17 at all. Bit of Penthouse and Pavement would be just the ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 mistdub

anyone reckon the strokes will be announced or heard any whispers? they just released an ep and are playing some festivals this summer already, one in australia. would bite my hand off the see them play even if theyre past 'their best'

mistdub wrote: »
    anyone reckon the strokes will be announced or heard any whispers? they just released an ep and are playing some festivals this summer already, one in australia. would bite my hand off the see them play even if theyre past 'their best'
    Too expensive for EP unless they were signed up by Festival Republic to do Lollapalooza Berlin also. Or they had a few European shows around the same time, ie Bestival, Rock en Seine. Perfect headliner for EP and their Hyde Park show last Summer was superb.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    EP don't seem to invite many acts back unless they're headliners/sub-headliners and they've got major new material like the Pet Shop Boys & New Order.
    Thus the chances of ABC (despite the new album), Bunnymen & Human League probably ain't great even though they're all playing fests or gigs.
    More likely I think are:
    James (playing fests)
    Air
    Teenage Fanclub (starting their UK tour in Bristol on 3 Sept and at End of the Road that weekend. Probably not, but there's a chance).
    And what about acts that have never played but would fit in - Heaven 17, Blacmange, SLF, Ash, Pixies, Wire?

There has been quite a few repeats in the festivals lifetime, this will be the fourth time LCD Soundsystem will have played the Picnic, they were third or fourth sub headline in 2005, an after headliner in 2007, headlining the Electric Arena in 2010 and this year possibly main stage. Bjork has played twice, My Bloody Valentine twice headlining EA in 2008 and sub headlining the main stage in 2013. Hot Chip, about seven times at this stage, Goldfrapp twice (2005,2008). I've got a feeling that it could be the Cure again for the last headliner, they've played before, they are available before Bestival plus they have a massive collection of popular songs.

More likely I think are:
    James (playing fests)
    Air

There has been quite a few repeats in the festivals lifetime, this will be the fourth time LCD Soundsystem will have played the Picnic, they were third or fourth sub headline in 2005, an after headliner in 2007, headlining the Electric Arena in 2010 and this year possibly main stage. Bjork has played twice, My Bloody Valentine twice headlining EA in 2008 and sub headlining the main stage in 2013. Hot Chip, about seven times at this stage, Goldfrapp twice (2005,2008). I've got a feeling that it could be the Cure again for the last headliner, they've played before, they are available before Bestival plus they have a massive collection of popular songs.
    This was a response to a question from GhostMutt30 about 'older' (or heritage/legacy) acts. I'm of course aware of all of the above, plus Elbow, Polly Jean, Flaming Lips, Super Furries and loads more. They just didn't tie in with the original post. And anyway, when's the bloody announcement?

This was a response to a question from GhostMutt30 about 'older' (or heritage/legacy) acts. I'm of course aware of all of the above, plus Elbow, Polly Jean, Flaming Lips, Super Furries and loads more. They just didn't tie in with the original post. And anyway, when's the bloody announcement?

I reckon Bad Turtle's prediction of the announcement being after Forbidden Fruit most likely now, so maybe after next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Too expensive for EP unless they were signed up by Festival Republic to do Lollapalooza Berlin also. Or they had a few European shows around the same time, ie Bestival, Rock en Seine. Perfect headliner for EP and their Hyde Park show last Summer was superb.

i very much doubt The Strokes are too expensive considering all the other top-tier acts in recent years.

More likely I think are:
    James (playing fests)
    Air

Squeeze, James and Air, I will take that :). Throw in Ash and Pixies and I'd be one happy camper. Although does Pixies playing the Iveagh Gardens rule them out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Squeeze, James and Air, I will take that :). Throw in Ash and Pixies and I'd be one happy camper. Although does Pixies playing the Iveagh Gardens rule them out?

Iveagh Gardens and Cork - you'd have to say it's very unlikely that they'd be back so soon after doing two summer dates.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement