Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Too expensive for EP unless they were signed up by Festival Republic to do Lollapalooza Berlin also. Or they had a few European shows around the same time, ie Bestival, Rock en Seine. Perfect headliner for EP and their Hyde Park show last Summer was superb.

i very much doubt The Strokes are too expensive considering all the other top-tier acts in recent years.
    For a one-off gig their price will be too steep, given the transatlantic cargo costs, etc. If they're doing other gigs then EP can afford them. Don't forget that payment for The Killers was tied in with another gig, and other big acts that EP have attracted have been on tour.

EP don't seem to invite many acts back unless they're headliners/sub-headliners and they've got major new material like the Pet Shop Boys & New Order.
    Thus the chances of ABC (despite the new album), Bunnymen & Human League probably ain't great even though they're all playing fests or gigs.
    More likely I think are:
    Squeeze (playing Dublin on Sat & Sun of EP)
    James (playing fests)
    Air
    Teenage Fanclub (starting their UK tour in Bristol on 3 Sept and at End of the Road that weekend. Probably not, but there's a chance).
    And what about acts that have never played but would fit in - Heaven 17, Blacmange, SLF, Ash, Pixies, Wire?

All this speculation can't be good for my mental health.

Squeeze, James and Air, I will take that :). Throw in Ash and Pixies and I'd be one happy camper. Although does Pixies playing the Iveagh Gardens rule them out?
    The first three were acts I though were possibilities for EP. The second two were options as they'd never played before. Pixies unlikely this year I'd say, but they're bound to appear in Stradbally in the next few years.

This was a response to a question from GhostMutt30 about 'older' (or heritage/legacy) acts. I'm of course aware of all of the above, plus Elbow, Polly Jean, Flaming Lips, Super Furries and loads more. They just didn't tie in with the original post. And anyway, when's the bloody announcement?

I reckon Bad Turtle's prediction of the announcement being after Forbidden Fruit most likely now, so maybe after next weekend.
    Could the next news be an announcement of an announcement? The longer this lingers the more likely we are to get Radiohead added the week their physical album comes out. Only a fortnight away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

93 sleeps

93 sleeps
    Til the next announcement?

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

At this rate, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Wouldn't it be funny if next year Electric Picnic relocated to Kinkubright, Galloway, Scotland for the craic for no particular reason whatsoever. :D:D:D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Snarky Snark Snark

No.

Next!

Apparently the Libertines have hinted on their facebook page that they will be playing a festival in September, most festivals have announced their headliners already (A rumour floating about the Bestival forum on efestivals), only a very few have to announce biggish acts, Bestival and EP amongst others. I hope it ain't them myself, but just another band floating around the potential headliners poole for festivals, well UK and Irish ones anyway. I don't think the Libertines would suit the Picnic vibe myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭GhostMutt30

Apparently the Libertines have hinted on their facebook page that they will be playing a festival in September, most festivals have announced their headliners already (A rumour floating about the Bestival forum on efestivals), only a very few have to announce biggish acts, Bestival and EP amongst others. I hope it ain't them myself, but just another band floating around the potential headliners poole for festivals, well UK and Irish ones anyway. I don't think the Libertines would suit the Picnic vibe myself.

please please please please please please please......NO

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

I think we're safe (fingers crossed), Carl Barat is playing a festival with his own band on the weekend of EP.

Not a fan of them but a mate was at their gig in the Point not too long ago, he's not a fan either but got a freebie, he thought they put on a cracker of a show so if they do turn up, might not be the worst thing in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

They were absolutely incredible in the 3arena last July...

Hopefully when I come back from London on Monday the 'announcement coming' banner will be out by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

The Avalanches.

New music out last night, new album soon and their live return this weekend at Primavera.

I'd say they'll be top of the next announcement and a lot of people will be perplexed about who they are and why they're exciting.

I reckon that in the headliner bracket, it'll be LCD-sized acts - Radiohead are probably a jump above that - so someone like the Avalanches to give an almost two-headliner-a-day setup.

LCD & Avalanches
    Chem Bros & LDR
    New Order & ... someone like Foals from the Friday two years ago. I don't see anyone on the bill yet (Surely not Haim or someone?) so an act like that to be added soon.

Obviosuly I don't know what days anyone would be on so shuffle that accordingly, but it seems realistic IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I'd love the Avalanches, but still expect a Radiohead announcement.
    New Order aren't the main headliner for whatever day they play.

alastair wrote: »
    I'd love the Avalanches, but still expect a Radiohead announcement.
    New Order aren't the main headliner for whatever day they play.

Maybe, maybe not.

I think New Order and a similar sized act are more than capable of headlining a day - sure Blondie and Foals did it one year with the Pet Shop Boys. Chic have closed stages and, atm, haven't sold out the Marquee (5000 capacity) in Cork.

And, as I said in my post, change around the days then - maybe it'll be New Order and Chem bros, or New Order & LCD - I dont know what day anyone is here. I reckon there'll be about 5/6 headline-ish bands - Chem Bros, LCD, LDR, New Order and two more, who I reckon will be the Avalanches and a Foals-esque band, but I don't know who that will be. Foals, Tame Impala, etc have all played here quite recently so it's a hard one to predict.

Snarky Snark Snark

The Avalanches? I have their album and it's a decent one but are ye really thinking a 1 album band from 16 years ago are headliners?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

I can live without another "big name" headliner even though I'd love to see Radiohead. I'm more interested in the 2nd/3rd tier acts added. I rarely go see headliners on the main stage. I'd love to see some of the following added, they are all touring the festivals this summer:

Air
    Grimes
    Moderat
    M83
    Miike Snow
    James Blake
    Bob Moses

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Peesh89

Air and Moderat pls.

The Avalanches? I have their album and it's a decent one but are ye really thinking a 1 album band from 16 years ago are headliners?

Probably not, but there's a pretty big buzz around their return. Most people didn't expect it to ever happen and, the same as LCD Soundsystem, they have a pretty big cult following.

As I said, though, I would see them playing the same night as another headline act, just as one of the bigger, more interesting draws.

Anyway, while everyone gets hung up on what is and isn't a headliner...

I see Autechre announced a European tour with no Irish date. Starts in Sept (I think) so might be a possibility to be added.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

Are they big though? For most people they're just gonna be a historic (at this stage) novelty singles act

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HausOfTony

ANNOUNCEMENT ON TWITTER!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Cj8b0ZZWkAAFx8p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Announcement just made on Instagram!!

Cant post photo, but NGHFB added.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Local Natives, hurrah!

Radiohead talk put to bed then?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

13315584_10154236787249168_6787121220683752068_n.jpg?oh=4bfce8e157ddf55654c049aa0a1026c5&oe=57D1A570

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Happy with The Shins, Bar for Lashes, and maybe Editors. Haven't listened to Editors for years though so they might be ****e now.

As someone who can't stand Oasis, is it worth listening to Noel Gallagher's birds thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Happy for Noel Gallagher but no radiohead is really disappointing!

Also surely Noel will be a headliner??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement