Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Todd Terje wrote: »
    Was hoping for Four Tet and Kaytranada as both seem to be nearby in the preceeding weeks.
    Still possible I guess!

And yourself to be sure, in the line up. :pac:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Todd Terje wrote: »
    Was hoping for Four Tet and Kaytranada as both seem to be nearby in the preceeding weeks.
    Still possible I guess!

At least you'll be there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I'm baffled and will remain baffled about lana del Ray as a headliner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Jesus, we were way off with most of our predictions, only two it seems we got right were the 1975 & Catfish & the Bottlemen. Not too much that I would be big into personally but probably a few I might check out all the same, Nas, **** Robot, The 1975, DJ EZ, John Talabot & a few more I'll definitely have to listen to a bit more. Anyone who is still holding out for Radiohead will be left disappointed at this stage, cannot see another headliner added, Noel Gallagher wouldn't have been my choice but he has a big fanbase and fills the headliner gap. It will now probably be something like New Order on the Friday, Noel Gallagher & Chemical Brothers on Saturday and Lana & LCD on the Sunday, you could easily swap Noel Gallagher and LCD around either. Possibly Nas or someone before New Order on the Friday night? There will be another announcement in July I would guess but doubt there will be anyone too big added, would like one or two older acts as someone mentioned a few posts up it is very lacking in this.

Also heard last night that Red Bull will no longer be doing the woods, and that they will be moving the RBMA into the main arena (another poster also heard this a few weeks back). Heard that '3' will possibly be taking over the woods, possibly an announcement from them to come and then they might release that extra batch of tickets for 3 customers? Just guessing.

Guaranteed to have a cracking line up by the time September rolls around anyway!

Well I did want Radiohead, Moderat and Massive Attack to be added and one of these acts might still happen, well, Moderat anyway. But these additions are not too bad at all, the best reggae band on the planet Toots and the Maytals, I'm so glad they are playing and that my fellow volunteering mate will get to see them for the first time, lets pray that Toots Hibbert doesn't have laryngitis this time around. I'll probably go and look at a bit of Noel Gallagher who I much prefer to his twat brother Liam and his bloody Beady Eye. I enjoyed NAS at Life last year so may give him a visit too and I see there is a few new hip hop acts added or old depending on if you have seen them loads of times. Bat For Lashes I've seen twice now but they always put on amazing performances.

Catfish and the bottlemen might be worth a look and I have never saw Editors either before, Arne mentioned that Iggy isn't there but he could still get added judging by the reaction to the Stooges in 2007 at EP I'm very surprised he is not in there. For my electronica fix now I have Daniel Avery, Chemical Brothers (As long as they are not on the same time as Daniel Avery), John Talabot, Todd Terje, LCD. Man I could go on, there is a sh1tload there I wanna see so I'm pretty chuffed with the line up myself. Nothing like a great bit of melodrama though as the comments in the EP facebook page, some people think its the worst line up in festival history, well FFS go to another festival then. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Osmago

When does the day lineup get released?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

From a week to a few days before the event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Also heard last night that Red Bull will no longer be doing the woods, and that they will be moving the RBMA into the main arena (another poster also heard this a few weeks back). Heard that '3' will possibly be taking over the woods, possibly an announcement from them to come and then they might release that extra batch of tickets for 3 customers? Just guessing.

Guaranteed to have a cracking line up by the time September rolls around anyway!

When Red Bull had their Music Academy at Oxegen, it was a stage in the main arena. It wasn't just dance/electronic, etc either. I saw Broken Social Scene and Dirty Projectors on it. Could be that that they'll do again?

There is definitely a batch of tickets for 3 customers coming - EP said so in the comments on their Facebook page today.

I would guess its a relatively small amount unless 3 paid the big bucks to get their hands on some exclusivity to encourage a mass migration to their network.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

But didn't we all agree that Lana Del Ray wasn't a headliner and she's still on the top of the poster? :rolleyes:;)

she's a headliner and has always been billed as such.

the question is more whether she'll play last or not, which given her style of music, is quite unlikely IMO.
    we've had headliners playing 2nd last in recent years, or even 3rd last in Bjork's case, with non-headliners playing last sometimes (eg. Pet Shop Boys).

I see LDR playing 2nd last, with either Chems/LCD/New Order after her.
    Bjork was an exception. I assume she asked for an 8pm slot and with her clout she'd get whatever time she requested. Otherwise every year the headliners have been the last act on Fri & Sun or the second to last act on the Sat before the dance/electronic artists.

I'd happily wager than Lana Del Ray is in none of those three headline slots.

• Advertisement

Rfrip wrote: »
    I'm baffled and will remain baffled about lana del Ray as a headliner
    She ain't. There are at least one, and possibly two, big acts to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Bjork was an exception. I assume she asked for an 8pm slot and with her clout she'd get whatever time she requested. Otherwise every year the headliners have been the last act on Fri & Sun or the second to last act on the Sat before the dance/electronic artists.

nope, as I already mentioned in my post, Pet Shop Boys weren't headliners and were last on Friday.
    Sam Smith and Blur were both headliners and played on Saturday, no "dance" artists there.
    Beck was a headliner but played 2nd last on Sunday. LDR could be the exact same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Very happy about Toots and The Shins.

Pretty underwhelming line up all told but then again I didn't know quite a lot of the acts I saw last year and ended up having one of my most enjoyable Picnics.

Gotta say that I'm in agreement with most here who feel a little underwhelmed by that. But hey, Amen to The Shins, Toots & Nas.

However, no need for some of the despondency. There's still space for a few decent acts there. The Chemical Brothers are pretty certain to be doing the Saturday late night electronic slot. That leaves LCD, NGHFBs (headline), New Order & LDR (sub-headline) meaning there are two other slots to fill. I still believe that Radiohead will be announced in two weeks when their physical album comes out (that Festival Republic tie-in for Berlin Lollapalooza is very significant) and we could also get a couple from Polly Jean, Iggy, Foals, Two Door Cinema Club or some surprise thrown in. If not Nas or The 1975 as a sub but but I don't see that happening.
    We may also get M83/Grimes/Goat/King Gizzard and some others and for heritage acts we've still time to get one or two from James/Squeeze/Scritti Politti/Heaven 17, etc.

I think it's going to look great in another month and if I've lead anyone up the garden path with Radiohead expectations then I'll happily stand them a pint of expensive beer at the craft beer stall on the Friday afternoon. If, however, Radiohead are announced I'll happily accept beers from anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Yeah i think that's it for the 'big acts', shame there's no Radiohead but i always thought that was a big ask.

Hopefully some of the likes of Suede, Patti Smith, Moderat & Iggy get named in a month or so's time to fatten out the line up even more and add to:

Nas
    Super Furry Animals
    Daniel Avery
    LCD Soundsystem
    New Order
    The Shins
    Animal Collective
    Wild Beasts
    Savages
    Glass Animals
    Local Natives
    Toots & Maytals
    Phospherescent
    Ezra Furman
    and Todd Terje on my list already.

Plus there's the B&S lineup to come too.

Could be worse i suppose.

nope, as I already mentioned in my post, Pet Shop Boys weren't headliners and were last on Friday.
    Sam Smith and Blur were both headliners and played on Saturday, no "dance" artists there.
    Beck was a headliner but played 2nd last on Sunday. LDR could be the exact same.
    Sam Smith was obviously not a headliner when Blur played the same night. The headliners last year were clearly Underworld, Blur & Florence irrespective of how the poster was arranged. Blur's choice of playing late on Sat probably bumped Underworld to Friday headliners.
    And Foals were never billed as headliners, thus Pet Shop Boys were.
    Beck was not the headliner. Outkast were.
    LDR may draw an enormous crowd (hard to call, and I'll be there unless she's clashing with a better act) but I'll wager she won't be in one of the 10.30pm slots. If we go by crowd size then Hozier would have been the biggest headliner of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

Gotta say that I'm in agreement with most here who feel a little underwhelmed by that. But hey, Amen to The Shins, Toots & Nas.

However, no need for some of the despondency. There's still space for a few decent acts there. The Chemical Brothers are pretty certain to be doing the Saturday late night electronic slot. That leaves LCD, NGHFBs (headline), New Order & LDR (sub-headline) meaning there are two other slots to fill. I still believe that Radiohead will be announced in two weeks when their physical album comes out (that Festival Republic tie-in for Berlin Lollapalooza is very significant) and we could also get Polly Jean, Iggy, Foals, Two Door Cinema Club or some surprise thrown in. If not Nas or The 1975 as a but but I don't see that happening.
    We may also get M83, Grimes and some others and for heritage acts we've still time to get one or two from James/Squeeze/Scritti Politti/Heaven 17, etc.

I think it's going to look great in another month and if I've lead anyone up the garden path with Radiohead expectations then I'll happily stand them a pint of expensive beer at the craft beer stall on the Friday afternoon. If, however, Radiohead are announced I'll happily accept beers from anyone.

I think you're being very optimistic there honestly. It could also pan out like:

Friday: Noel Gallagher, New Order
    Saturday: LDR, Chems
    Sunday: SFA, LCD

Still leaving well able acts like Editors, Animal Collective, The Shins and broken social scene to close EA and crowdpleasers/draws like Nas, Haim and 1975 to fill out the main stage.

Not unlike the

Friday: Grace Jones/underworld
    Saturday: Sam Smith Blur
    Sunday: Manics/Florence

Of last year.

Yeah i think that's it for the 'big acts', shame there's no Radiohead but i always thought that was a big ask.

Hopefully some of the likes of Suede, Patti Smith, Moderat & Iggy get named in a month or so's time to fatten out the line up even more and add to:

Nas
    Super Furry Animals
    Daniel Avery
    LCD Soundsystem
    New Order
    The Shins
    Animal Collective
    Wild Beasts
    Savages
    Glass Animals
    Local Natives
    Toots & Maytals
    Phospherescent
    Ezra Furman
    and Todd Terje on my list already.

Plus there's the B&S lineup to come too.

Could be worse i suppose.
    Arne, don't be too down about Radiohead yet. Their album out on 17 June and a very good chance of an announcement that week. Btw your list of acts is almost identical to mine. With Blossoms as an extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Sam Smith was obviously not a headliner when Blur played the same night. The headliners last year were clearly Underworld, Blur & Florence irrespective of how the poster was arranged. Blur's choice of playing late on Sat probably bumped Underworld to Friday headliners.
    LDR may draw an enormous crowd (hard to call, and I'll be there unless she's clashing with a better act) but I'll wager she won't be in one of the 10.30pm slots. If we go by crowd size then Hozier would have been the biggest headliner of all.
    so basically you're ignoring all the official publicity and just deciding yourself who was and wasn't headlining based on your own arbitrary rules? right so :rolleyes:

3 years on the trot we've had headliners not playing last/those slots.

this year Lana Del Rey is officially a headliner.
    on the PR, she's referred to as "headlining" the festival.
    she was top row on the first poster.
    she's top row on the 2nd poster.

she's 100% a headliner.

Arne, don't be too down about Radiohead yet. Their album out on 17 June and a very good chance of an announcement that week. Btw your list of acts is almost identical to mine. With Blossoms as an extra.

I don't see it happening now, the longer it went without an announcement i actually had a little hope that they might be announced. Maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised.

What's the story with Blossoms?

• Advertisement

The headliners are who the bookers say they are. Where they play or whether they draw a bigger crowd than X doesn't really take away from that, as it's just a matter of fact. Massive Attack had a tiny crowd a few years ago (as a result of playing in a monsoon). Does that downgrade their headliner status?

Again, headliners are chosen by the festival as the names that they want on the top of the poster in the big font. Getting in to whether or not they played in a certain timeslot is just petty as there will always be examples that disprove the theory. This year headliners are LCD, ldr and Chems until shown otherwise. Last year it was blur, Florence and Sam Smith. Year before it was Beck, outkast and portishead etc etc

MattD wrote: »

However, no need for some of the despondency. There's still space for a few decent acts there. The Chemical Brothers are pretty certain to be doing the Saturday late night electronic slot. That leaves LCD, NGHFBs (headline), New Order & LDR (sub-headline) meaning there are two other slots to fill. I still believe that Radiohead will be announced in two weeks when their physical album comes out (that Festival Republic tie-in for Berlin Lollapalooza is very significant) and we could also get Polly Jean, Iggy, Foals, Two Door Cinema Club or some surprise thrown in. If not Nas or The 1975 as a but but I don't see that happening.
    We may also get M83, Grimes and some others and for heritage acts we've still time to get one or two from James/Squeeze/Scritti Politti/Heaven 17, etc.

I think you're being very optimistic there honestly. It could also pan out like:

Friday: Noel Gallagher, New Order
    Saturday: LDR, Chems
    Sunday: SFA, LCD

Still leaving well able acts like Editors, Animal Collective, The Shins and broken social scene to close EA and crowdpleasers/draws like Nas, Haim and 1975 to fill out the main stage.

Not unlike the

Friday: Grace Jones/underworld
    Saturday: Sam Smith Blur
    Sunday: Manics/Florence

Of last year.
    Yeah, that's very plausible Matt, and may happen but I see SFAs headlining the Electric Arena one of the nights.

I also don't see LDR holding a late night crowd before the Chemicals. I'd happily be proved wrong but her live set is very subdued so I think she'll be scheduled in the late afternoon or very early evening.

EP has far more money due to the increased capacity and I think they've spent it in booking some more big acts we'll hear about soon. If not I'm going to get deservedly slaughtered on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MAGDALYMOORE01

According to NGHFB site he plays Singleton Park, Wales on 02.09.2016 & Festival Number 6 on 04.09.2016..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MAGDALYMOORE01

According to NGHFB site he plays Singleton Park, Wales on 02.09.2016 & Festival Number 6 on 04.09.2016.. Leaving us Sat 3rd..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Bjork was an exception. I assume she asked for an 8pm slot and with her clout she'd get whatever time she requested.

Bjork played at 9 in 2013, cos I legged it from her set after a while to catch Billy Bragg at 9.30.

so basically you're ignoring all the official publicity and just deciding yourself who was and wasn't headlining based on your own arbitrary rules? right so :rolleyes:

3 years on the trot we've had headliners not playing last/those slots.

this year Lana Del Rey is officially a headliner.
    on the PR, she's referred to as "headlining" the festival.
    she was top row on the first poster.
    she's top row on the 2nd poster.

she's 100% a headliner.
    Where on the EP site does it say she's a headliner? Not in any of the official announcements. The Chemical Brothers are also on the top line and they won't be headliners.
    LCD for sure, probably Noel Gallagher's HFBs and a third to come. It'll be clear in the next few weeks.
    There's also a fair chance they'll put her in the late afternoon/early evening slot that Ellie Goulding, Hozier, James Blunt and others had. Would you then still class her as a headliner?

Yeah, that's very plausible Matt, and may happen but I see SFAs headlining the Electric Arena one of the nights.

I also doing see LDR holding a late night crowd before the Chemicals. I'd happily be proved wrong but her live set is very subdued so I think she'll be scheduled in the late afternoon or very early evening.

EP has far more money due to the increased capacity and I think they've spent it in booking some more big acts we'll hear about soon. If not I'm going to get deservedly slaughtered on this site.

Yeah, It'd be fab if EP was as you said and we got all the acts and more that you mentioned, I just don't think it's realistic. The Radiohead stuff sounds plausable, but it reminds me too much of the mental gymnastics done every year in the past to conclude that 'Daft Punk must be doing EP this year!!!' Two door cinema club and Grimes are the standard of acts that I could maybe imagine getting announced now, but no bigger.

Bjork was an exception. I assume she asked for an 8pm slot and with her clout she'd get whatever time she requested.

Bjork played at 9 in 2013, cos I legged it from her set after a while to catch Billy Bragg at 9.30.
    Yeah, sorry, you're right. It just felt earlier as there were two acts after her. She sounded great but I missed most of her set for John Grant who was my act of the weekend.

Yeah, sorry, you're right. It just felt earlier as there were two acts after her. She sounded great but I missed most of her set for John Grant who was my act of the weekend.

David Byrne & St Vincent, hands down.

• Advertisement

I don't see it happening now, the longer it went without an announcement i actually had a little hope that they might be announced. Maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised.

What's the story with Blossoms?
    They had two of the best pop singles of 2015. Maybe a bit disposable indie pop, but one of the new acts I'd like to catch, not much else I've noticed in the way of good upcoming acts but I don't know lots of the lineup.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement