Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Surprised they haven't gone for someone like Iggy or Patti Smith or their ilk.
    Iggy at Rock en Seine the week before so still a chance. Great reports from his recent gigs so getting him would cheer me up no end.

MattD wrote: »
    Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Sam Smith was obviously not a headliner when Blur played the same night. The headliners last year were clearly Underworld, Blur & Florence irrespective of how the poster was arranged. Blur's choice of playing late on Sat probably bumped Underworld to Friday headliners.
    And Foals were never billed as headliners, thus Pet Shop Boys were.
    Beck was not the headliner. Outkast were.
    LDR may draw an enormous crowd (hard to call, and I'll be there unless she's clashing with a better act) but I'll wager she won't be in one of the 10.30pm slots. If we go by crowd size then Hozier would have been the biggest headliner of all.

The headliners are who the bookers say they are. Where they play or whether they draw a bigger crowd than X doesn't really take away from that, as it's just a matter of fact. Massive Attack had a tiny crowd a few years ago (as a result of playing in a monsoon). Does that downgrade their headliner status?

Again, headliners are chosen by the festival as the names that they want on the top of the poster in the big font. Getting in to whether or not they played in a certain timeslot is just petty as there will always be examples that disprove the theory. This year headliners are LCD, ldr and Chems until shown otherwise. Last year it was blur, Florence and Sam Smith. Year before it was Beck, outkast and portishead etc etc
    So we can have two headliners on one night and none on another? That's kinda rewriting the festival rulebook. One headline act per night is the norm, that's not to say you can't have a secondary band headlining one night and then three much bigger bands the following night.

And EP have not referred to LDR as a headliner in any paraphernalia I've seen.

Yeah, sorry, you're right. It just felt earlier as there were two acts after her. She sounded great but I missed most of her set for John Grant who was my act of the weekend.

David Byrne & St Vincent, hands down.
    Ah, that's a tough call. Sinead O'Connor joining John Grant was stunning but I concede Bryne & SV may have been better. I also got to meet Byrne the night before when he was leaving Matthew E White's set in Rankin's Wood. Think I probably scared him, but it made my weekend anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Fatfrog wrote: »
    The 1975's..... again.

Why are they so far up the lineup?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭GidCudi

Some very cool additions today...still missing something though.

Expecting another announcement in July after Foals play their show in Cork with them, Two Door Cinema Club, James Blake added. Just some curious gaps in their touring schedules at the start of September and very much EP style acts

The RBMA is strange being left off the website/poster

Would also love Le Galaxie to close Body & Soul on the Sunday...recreate the magic of the set in 2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I could see LCD on the Friday and NG on the Sunday. I don't see why not based on previous years.

Noel Gallagher is playing the Sunday at Festival Number 6 in Portmerion, so he'll deffo not be on Sunday at EP.

Main stage headline acts IMO:
    Friday - New Order, LCD Soundsystem
    Saturday - NG, Chems (possible guest vocal for Noel?)
    Sunday - LDR, TBA (still believe it'll be Radiohead)

And, of other Portmerion acts, can we have Echo and the Bunnymen, and Cassius?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

So we can have two headliners on one night and none on another?

Yes
    That's kinda rewriting the festival rulebook. One headline act per night is the norm, that's not to say you can't have a secondary band headlining one night and then three much bigger bands the following night.

And EP have not referred to LDR as a headliner in any paraphernalia I've seen.

Yes they have, when they put her name on top of the fecking poster...

Its nothing new:

2011, arcade fire and chemical brothers on Saturday. Both headliners

2009, flaming lips and basement jazz both on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

When Red Bull had their Music Academy at Oxegen, it was a stage in the main arena. It wasn't just dance/electronic, etc either. I saw Broken Social Scene and Dirty Projectors on it. Could be that that they'll do again?

There is definitely a batch of tickets for 3 customers coming - EP said so in the comments on their Facebook page today.

I would guess its a relatively small amount unless 3 paid the big bucks to get their hands on some exclusivity to encourage a mass migration to their network.

The friend who I heard it off did say that he heard that Red Bull won't be focusing on techno/house as much so maybe we could see bands or other genres of music on it as well, hard to know. Apparently Red Bull weren't making as much money out of it as they could have because it was in the campsite and everyone was just bringing their own drink rather than buying drinks at the bar, which wouldn't be the case if it was moved into the arena. Also it could make sense if 3 run the woods stage as they seem to have more of an involvement in it this year, but we won't really know until something is announced I suppose. A Red Bull stage somewhere around where Despacio was on last year could make a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Gotta say that I'm in agreement with most here who feel a little underwhelmed by that. But hey, Amen to The Shins, Toots & Nas.

However, no need for some of the despondency. There's still space for a few decent acts there. The Chemical Brothers are pretty certain to be doing the Saturday late night electronic slot. That leaves LCD, NGHFBs (headline), New Order & LDR (sub-headline) meaning there are two other slots to fill. I still believe that Radiohead will be announced in two weeks when their physical album comes out (that Festival Republic tie-in for Berlin Lollapalooza is very significant) and we could also get a couple from Polly Jean, Iggy, Foals, Two Door Cinema Club or some surprise thrown in. If not Nas or The 1975 as a sub but but I don't see that happening.
    We may also get M83/Grimes/Goat/King Gizzard and some others and for heritage acts we've still time to get one or two from James/Squeeze/Scritti Politti/Heaven 17, etc.

I think it's going to look great in another month and if I've lead anyone up the garden path with Radiohead expectations then I'll happily stand them a pint of expensive beer at the craft beer stall on the Friday afternoon. If, however, Radiohead are announced I'll happily accept beers from anyone.

I have really enjoyed all of your posts in this thread and have generally agreed with a lot of stuff you have said, but after the announcement today I have lost faith in the Radiohead theory. It would be great if some of the other acts you mentioned were announced at a later date also but I'm not expecting too much in the next announcement, it seems to be as if a lot of the big slots have been filled today and while there is still definitely a few big slots to fill and some good acts to come I'm sure, I think you will be in for a disappointment if you're expecting a lot of the above.

I convinced myself that the likes of M83, PJ Harvey, Iggy Pop, TDCC etc could be announced but if they weren't there today I can't see many (if any) of them coming later in the summer. There MIGHT be room for 1 more sub headliner on the main stage but it could easily be Nas & New Order, NGHFB & Chems, Lana & LCD as the 2 main acts each night on the main stage. Nas would be the one I'd have question marks over.

Also - the headliner argument is one that is going nowhere. It seems as if everyones definition of a headliner is different, but the 5 big acts up the top of the poster could all be classed as headliners for EP 2016.

MattD, have another look.

Arcade Fire were the headliners in 2011. Chemical Bros the post-headliner late night act.

Basement Jaxx were the Sunday headliners in 2009, Flaming Lips were a direct clash in the Electric Arena.

Do I take it that if Radiohead are on the same night as LDR then she remains the headliner? LDR & the Chemicals are prominent on the poster but they won't be the main act of the evenings they're on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

Dude, can you not see that you're just attributing headliner status to whoever you see fit as the 'best' act on a day rather than the actual advertising and marketing put forward by the festival itself...?

The acts on the top of the poster are the headliners. That's the fact. What day they play is not the fact. The acts, bookers and agents negotiate these things such as poster placement. Yes, ldr could play body and soul at 7pm on a thursday, she's still factually the headliner because EP said so. Doesn't matter what you say/think.

And I've already said; yes you can have two headliners on the same day. So if Radiohead and ldr are on the same day, and EP PRESENTS THEM BOTH AS HEADLINERS, then yes they are both headliners.

Edit: we're just not going to agree, so I'll leave it. If Radiohead, PJ Harvey and Iggy pop get announced in the next month, I guess I'll eat my words.

Gotta say that I'm in agreement with most here who feel a little underwhelmed by that. But hey, Amen to The Shins, Toots & Nas.

However, no need for some of the despondency. There's still space for a few decent acts there. The Chemical Brothers are pretty certain to be doing the Saturday late night electronic slot. That leaves LCD, NGHFBs (headline), New Order & LDR (sub-headline) meaning there are two other slots to fill. I still believe that Radiohead will be announced in two weeks when their physical album comes out (that Festival Republic tie-in for Berlin Lollapalooza is very significant) and we could also get a couple from Polly Jean, Iggy, Foals, Two Door Cinema Club or some surprise thrown in. If not Nas or The 1975 as a sub but but I don't see that happening.
    We may also get M83/Grimes/Goat/King Gizzard and some others and for heritage acts we've still time to get one or two from James/Squeeze/Scritti Politti/Heaven 17, etc.

I think it's going to look great in another month and if I've lead anyone up the garden path with Radiohead expectations then I'll happily stand them a pint of expensive beer at the craft beer stall on the Friday afternoon. If, however, Radiohead are announced I'll happily accept beers from anyone.

I have really enjoyed all of your posts in this thread and have generally agreed with a lot of stuff you have said, but after the announcement today I have lost faith in the Radiohead theory. It would be great if some of the other acts you mentioned were announced at a later date also but I'm not expecting too much in the next announcement, it seems to be as if a lot of the big slots have been filled today and while there is still definitely a few big slots to fill and some good acts to come I'm sure, I think you will be in for a disappointment if you're expecting a lot of the above.

I convinced myself that the likes of M83, PJ Harvey, Iggy Pop, TDCC etc could be announced but if they weren't there today I can't see many (if any) of them coming later in the summer. There MIGHT be room for 1 more sub headliner on the main stage but it could easily be Nas & New Order, NGHFB & Chems, Lana & LCD as the 2 main acts each night on the main stage. Nas would be the one I'd have question marks over.

Also - the headliner argument is one that is going nowhere. It seems as if everyones definition of a headliner is different, but the 5 big acts up the top of the poster could all be classed as headliners for EP 2016.
    I agree with all of that. The headliner argument has gone completely subjective and time to put it to bed.

However I'm still confident about Radiohead (a gap, Berlin FR booking, their tour schedule, fests they've played, album release fitting in with announcement, etc) but aware that a big chance I'm wrong and Foals/TDCC may arrive instead. I wasn't expecting most of the above acts, but feel we'll get a few more. Let's hope I'm right. I'll happily eat humble pie if not.

MattD wrote: »
    Dude, can you not see that you're just attributing headliner status to whoever you see fit as the 'best' act on a day rather than the actual advertising and marketing put forward by the festival itself...?

The acts on the top of the poster are the headliners. That's the fact. What day they play is not the fact. The acts, bookers and agents negotiate these things such as poster placement. Yes, ldr could play body and soul at 7pm on a thursday, she's still factually the headliner because EP said so. Doesn't matter what you say/think.

And I've already said; yes you can have two headliners on the same day. So if Radiohead and ldr are on the same day, and EP PRESENTS THEM BOTH AS HEADLINERS, then yes they are both headliners.
    Just check any definition of headliner, and you won't find it to include two acts on any given night, nor the person third or fourth on the bill. You've put down the Flaming Lips as a headliner when they played the Electric Arena and Sam Smith as a headliner when he preceded Blur. I'm simply saying that I believe that the Chemicals will play after the headliner (as they have twice before I think) and their place at the top of the poster does not make them headliners. Similarly with LDR who I think will sub a bigger act.
    And we won't get all of Radiohead, Iggy & PJH but I think there's a good chance of two of them.
    But hey Matt, let's agree to disagree cos we're going nowhere here and it can't be fun reading for other posters. Let's look forward to the fest and more decent announcements. All the best and enjoy your weekend.

Btw guys LCD Soundsystem are live now on a stream from Primavera. Radiohead tomorrow night about 9pm:

http://live.primaverasound.barcelona/#

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Rfrip wrote: »
    I'm baffled and will remain baffled about lana del Ray as a headliner

Born to Die is like one of the biggest selling albums in the last 5 years IN IRELAND! Dunno about current figures but she sold 35,000 copies of it here in 2013 when her Vicar Street gig came around. It's probably closer to 50,000 now.
    Both her last 2 records were top of the charts. 3 number 1 albums kinda tells it's own story as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Happy with Noely G, even if I did just buy tickets to his Belfast gig recently.

The Shins are also a nice addition.

There's SFA chance of Radiohead being booked at an already sold out festival. Blossoms are being announced for everything I'm going to, between Last Shadow Puppets and the Stone Roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

If they were booked it would have been done and dusted a long time ago, lcd were booked at last years festival and many of the larger acts would have been sorted or negotiating their dates at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

Toots & The Maytals have themselves down for the Sunday. They stuck it up on their Facebook today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Can we get a ban for the first person in here to refer to him as 'Noely G' in a non ironic way??
    Happy with Noely G, even if I did just buy tickets to his Belfast gig recently.

Didn't take too long.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Can we drop the headliners thing pretty please?

Oh, and Basement Jazz?
    137e2054f9ee0c45e68bd473435dbc5e_395.jpg?1349652370

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

The friend who I heard it off did say that he heard that Red Bull won't be focusing on techno/house as much so maybe we could see bands or other genres of music on it as well, hard to know. Apparently Red Bull weren't making as much money out of it as they could have because it was in the campsite and everyone was just bringing their own drink rather than buying drinks at the bar, which wouldn't be the case if it was moved into the arena. Also it could make sense if 3 run the woods stage as they seem to have more of an involvement in it this year, but we won't really know until something is announced I suppose. A Red Bull stage somewhere around where Despacio was on last year could make a lot of sense.

I heard it will be a disco/funk stage they are running this year. They are lining up some big name DJ's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I heard it will be a disco/funk stage they are running this year. They are lining up some big name DJ's.

Would have thought Casa Bacardi already covers that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

However I'm still confident about Radiohead (a gap, Berlin FR booking, their tour schedule, fests they've played, album release fitting in with announcement, etc) but aware that a big chance I'm wrong and Foals/TDCC may arrive instead.

If you were Jesus I'd be your disciple. I believe in you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

However I'm still confident about Radiohead (a gap, Berlin FR booking, their tour schedule, fests they've played, album release fitting in with announcement, etc)

What announcement is the album release fitting in with? You have created an announcement in your head that's going to happen after the album release and you're using this as evidence they'll be announced?

Snarky Snark Snark

leakyboots wrote: »
    Would have thought Casa Bacardi already covers that

Disco/Funk? Casa Bacardi? Thems the last musical types I would have associated with that pit of despair and boom boom noises.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Disco/Funk? Casa Bacardi? Thems the last musical types I would have associated with that pit of despair and boom boom noises.

I typically go there in the afternoon - Dimitri from Paris, Get Down Edits, The Reflex etc.

OhHiMark wrote: »
    However I'm still confident about Radiohead (a gap, Berlin FR booking, their tour schedule, fests they've played, album release fitting in with announcement, etc)

What announcement is the album release fitting in with? You have created an announcement in your head that's going to happen after the album release and you're using this as evidence they'll be announced?
    The album hits the shops on 17 June. I believe that if Radiohead (not a band to miss a trick) are playing they will have an agreement with EP to announce that week to boost sales. I also think it's a possibility that they're playing Bestival and/or Rock en Seine and will align the announcements. Their website alluded to more dates to be announced and the three week gap between Summer Sonic Tokyo and Lollapaloza Berlin is a lengthy one. It could be the band taking a break but I think not. Add in the Festival Republic link to Berlin, the similar sized festival shows they're doing, the gap I see in the EP lineup (disputed by many I accept) and I expect them to play. Mid-June is late, but it'll still leave 11 weeks before the festival. I would be very surprised if Berlin is a standalone gig in the six weeks between Japanese and US festivals. And we always get three announcements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

The album hits the shops on 17 June. I believe that if Radiohead (not a band to miss a trick) are playing they will have an agreement with EP to announce that week to boost sales. I also think it's a possibility that they're playing Bestival and/or Rock en Seine and will align the announcements. Their website alluded to more dates to be announced and the three week gap between Summer Sonic Tokyo and Lollapaloza Berlin is a lengthy one. It could be the band taking a break but I think not. Add in the Festival Republic link to Berlin, the similar sized festival shows they're doing, the gap I see in the EP lineup (disputed by many I accept) and I expect them to play. Mid-June is late, but it'll still leave 11 weeks before the festival. I would be very surprised if Berlin is a standalone gig in the six weeks between Japanese and US festivals. And we always get three announcements.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm gonna counter your points with own thinking on each.

- I don't think Radiohead will need to boost physical sales in any shape or form. They still sell very well. Plus, a 50,000 capacity festival won't make much of a difference to their sales AND the Irish market (in terms of record sales) is quite a small, unimportant one to most bands. Radiohead will sell more in parts of Germany, the US or Japan than they would in the entire country here. You've used the 'physical sales' argument a few times and there just doesn't seem to be any basis to it other than you think it might be the case.

- They did allude to more gigs being announced when they announced the tour in March, no sign of them yet. Could be EP, Bestival, etc like you mention, or it could be more arena/intimate shows later in the year. They have long gaps but you suggesting Bestival, etc is as likely as me suggesting the 3 in November. We're both basing it on nothing concrete. They announced the festival shows before the world tour announcement in March, since it has only been arena gigs.

- Festival Republic also organise Longitude, Reading & Leeds and a few others. Again, we're as likely to pull bands from those as Lolla Berlin. Again, not saying it won't happen, but gut feelings and all that...

- We usually get more than 3 announcements of acts. Excluding the smaller stages, four wouldn't be unusual. I'd expect one in late June/early July with one or two mid tier acts and a host of Irish bands, and one in August to finalise the bill with bands who may be elsewhere in Ireland between now and then (like Jenny Lewis was added two years ago, for e.g.)

- Mainly, I just don't see the benefit of leaving the biggest draw THIS late. It doesn't make a whole pile of sense. When it became clear that Radiohead, LCD, etc were back and touring, what is the benefit of holding them back until mid-summer? Whatever about one announcement, but after two?

I just don't see it. Your optimism is impressive but I would be very, very, very surprised if Radiohead get added at this stage.

Snarky Snark Snark

...- I don't think Radiohead will need to boost physical sales in any shape or form.

Would agree on the physical sales thing totally but like all bands they would be looking to maximise digital downloads/streaming and the publicity wouldn't hurt unless they've got another batch of videos ready in the pipeline.
    (I'd love to see them but the line up is pretty good looking to me as it is)
    (like Jenny Lewis was added two years ago, for e.g.)

aaaah, Sr. Jenny, her set was way too short (cos she was late getting going), and then the bint decided to go climbing on us wasting even more time.

https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5590/14935303020_3364a9809f_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Would agree on the physical sales thing totally but like all bands they would be looking to maximise digital downloads/streaming and the publicity wouldn't hurt unless they've got another batch of videos ready in the pipeline.
    (I'd love to see them but the line up is pretty good looking to me as it is)

aaaah, Sr. Jenny, her set was way too short (cos she was late getting going), and then the bint decided to go climbing on us wasting even more time.

https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5590/14935303020_3364a9809f_z.jpg

Absolutely - the publicity will do them no harm, but I just think that the benefit would be so minimal it wouldn't be worth them holding off for that specifically, y'know?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement