Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    The album hits the shops on 17 June. I believe that if Radiohead (not a band to miss a trick) are playing they will have an agreement with EP to announce that week to boost sales. I also think it's a possibility that they're playing Bestival and/or Rock en Seine and will align the announcements. Their website alluded to more dates to be announced and the three week gap between Summer Sonic Tokyo and Lollapaloza Berlin is a lengthy one. It could be the band taking a break but I think not. Add in the Festival Republic link to Berlin, the similar sized festival shows they're doing, the gap I see in the EP lineup (disputed by many I accept) and I expect them to play. Mid-June is late, but it'll still leave 11 weeks before the festival. I would be very surprised if Berlin is a standalone gig in the six weeks between Japanese and US festivals. And we always get three announcements.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm gonna counter your points with own thinking on each.

- I don't think Radiohead will need to boost physical sales in any shape or form. They still sell very well. Plus, a 50,000 capacity festival won't make much of a difference to their sales AND the Irish market (in terms of record sales) is quite a small, unimportant one to most bands. Radiohead will sell more in parts of Germany, the US or Japan than they would in the entire country here. You've used the 'physical sales' argument a few times and there just doesn't seem to be any basis to it other than you think it might be the case.

- They did allude to more gigs being announced when they announced the tour in March, no sign of them yet. Could be EP, Bestival, etc like you mention, or it could be more arena/intimate shows later in the year. They have long gaps but you suggesting Bestival, etc is as likely as me suggesting the 3 in November. We're both basing it on nothing concrete. They announced the festival shows before the world tour announcement in March, since it has only been arena gigs.

- Festival Republic also organise Longitude, Reading & Leeds and a few others. Again, we're as likely to pull bands from those as Lolla Berlin. Again, not saying it won't happen, but gut feelings and all that...

- We usually get more than 3 announcements of acts. Excluding the smaller stages, four wouldn't be unusual. I'd expect one in late June/early July with one or two mid tier acts and a host of Irish bands, and one in August to finalise the bill with bands who may be elsewhere in Ireland between now and then (like Jenny Lewis was added two years ago, for e.g.)

- Mainly, I just don't see the benefit of leaving the biggest draw THIS late. It doesn't make a whole pile of sense. When it became clear that Radiohead, LCD, etc were back and touring, what is the benefit of holding them back until mid-summer? Whatever about one announcement, but after two?

I just don't see it. Your optimism is impressive but I would be very, very, very surprised if Radiohead get added at this stage.
    All good points and only time will tell. Everything you say makes sense but can I just add a couple of responses. The Irish market is tiny for them, but if they make an announcement for a few European festivals together then that's significant publicity. They'll sell well anyway, but why not boost the sales this way? Is there a savvier band about, and why miss any chance to add to sales?

The timing of the announcement will not be in EP's hands but tied-up in an agreement with the Radiohead lawyers. I think that EP would like it done and dusted but will be in a binding non-disclosure contract if they're playing.

When they announced the Amsterdam, Paris and London gigs they said that these would be the only standalone Radiohead gigs. Thus only festivals to be announced. They may do arena gigs in Nov/Dec but that would contradict their earlier press releases. Like you I'm not going to say the arenas won't happen but I believe that festival dates will still be announced. EP may not be one of the lucky benefactors, but I'm still optimistic. Let's hope I'm right or we'll both be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

they're not playing Bestival as the only headliner they have left to announce is the Sunday one, and Radiohead are playing Berlin that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

All good points and only time will tell. Everything you say makes sense but can I just add a couple of responses. The Irish market is tiny for them, but if they make an announcement for a few European festivals together then that's significant publicity. They'll sell well anyway, but why not boost the sales this way? Is there a savvier band about, and why miss any chance to add to sales?

True enough - as I mentioned in another reply, I just don't the boost is significant enough to have warranted the delay. If anything, digital sales would have been boosted by a greater margin already if they had announced.
    When they announced the Amsterdam, Paris and London gigs they said that these would be the only standalone Radiohead gigs. Thus only festivals to be announced. They may do arena gigs in Nov/Dec but that would contradict their earlier press releases. Like you I'm not going to say the arenas won't happen but I believe that festival dates will still be announced. EP may not be one of the lucky benefactors, but I'm still optimistic. Let's hope I'm right or we'll both be disappointed.

This we can 100% agree on!!

--

I'm now crossing fingers and toes for the undercard, though. Headliners never made or broke it for me, but I'd love M83, Car Seat Headrest, Mark Lanegan or a few more hip-hop acts like Chance the Rapper to be added if any of them were about!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

The idea of 3 running the forest thing is a more than a little worrying for me. I personally would have no confidence in 3 delivering on anything noteworthy. Expect bland house music for the masses. Plus their fecking colour scheme .. it hurts my eyes. That fvcking 3 penthouse thing is an ugly piece of sh!te.

At least RBMA have brought some pedigree to that area in terms of quality acts. Although last year was poor admittedly. Its like nostalgia .. its just not what it used to be :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Its like nostalgia .. its just not what it used to be :(

Love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 phuckphace

Would agree on the physical sales thing totally but like all bands they would be looking to maximise digital downloads/streaming and the publicity wouldn't hurt unless they've got another batch of videos ready in the pipeline.
    (I'd love to see them but the line up is pretty good looking to me as it is)

aaaah, Sr. Jenny, her set was way too short (cos she was late getting going), and then the bint decided to go climbing on us wasting even more time.

Her and Malkmus one after the other, thought I might just get one bloody Rilo Kiley or Pavement song between the two of them. Festival crowd and all that.

Left Lewis to see the end of Ham Sandwich in the EA and they were unreal. Seen them a hundred times but the massive full tent really suited them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

phuckphace wrote: »
    Her and Malkmus one after the other, thought I might just get one bloody Rilo Kiley or Pavement song between the two of them. Festival crowd and all that.

Left Lewis to see the end of Ham Sandwich in the EA and they were unreal. Seen them a hundred times but the massive full tent really suited them.

I think Malkmus was so drunk he wouldnt even realise he was in Pavement if you had mentioned it.

My overwhelming memory...

"This one is for the Hull City Tigers! They're from England - your ENEMIES!"

Before launching into 'Chartjunk'.

Bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

aaaah, Sr. Jenny, her set was way too short (cos she was late getting going), and then the bint decided to go climbing on us wasting even more time.

https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5590/14935303020_3364a9809f_z.jpg

I thought she was brilliant that day, would've loved a longer set but still a cracking show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

The crowd here at forbidden fruit is making me yearn for electric picnic!

Snarky Snark Snark

Do tell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I heard it will be a disco/funk stage they are running this year. They are lining up some big name DJ's.

Yeah I heard it would be funk/soul on the stage although I questioned it as it sounds very similar to the Casa Bacardi stage. We shall see I personally would love to see some kind of stage for that type of music, but it would seem strange if it was a stage solely dedicated to that.

Agree that I would be worried about 3 running the stage in the woods but I only went down for about a total of 1 hour last year, if it keeps the session moths and shuffler crowd down there at night time then I don't care what they play! As we have discussed before something similar to Reckless in Love at B&S would be the dream, where local collectives run a night each.

Easy Rod wrote: »

Ah don't say that... I'm going up tomorrow mainly for the mighty Battles and Kiasmos...

Ah don't say that... I'm going up tomorrow mainly for the mighty Battles and Kiasmos...

Ah no knackery just the impetuousness of youth flying about...and arse cheeks. Arse cheeks everywhere.

Ah no knackery just the impetuousness of youth flying about...and arse cheeks. Arse cheeks everywhere.

Grand so... sure just like last year's picnic so. ;-)

By the way very impressed you can spell impetuousness at this time of an Friday evening at such an event. Fair play.

Snarky Snark Snark

arse cheeks. Arse cheeks everywhere.

Female I hope?

Battles looked fantastic on the Primavera Sound stream. Repeated at 11.50 GMT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Didn't take too long.....

What's wrong with using 'Noely G?!' He's a man of the people, man. He would like it this way! :cool:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Missed them at EP last year but delighted they are at Pukkelpop

Missed them at EP last year but delighted they are at Pukkelpop
    Seen them a few times. Always open air before EP last year and that seemed to work better. Immense set in Rankin Woods. They're on form going by PS also.

By the way very impressed you can spell impetuousness at this time of an Friday evening at such an event. Fair play.

Thanks Pablo, it honestly took me about 6 restarts before I got it!

I only stayed to watch young fathers and then bailed...will be back again tomorrow though! Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

The album hits the shops on 17 June. I believe that if Radiohead (not a band to miss a trick) are playing they will have an agreement with EP to announce that week to boost sales. I also think it's a possibility that they're playing Bestival and/or Rock en Seine and will align the announcements. Their website alluded to more dates to be announced and the three week gap between Summer Sonic Tokyo and Lollapaloza Berlin is a lengthy one. It could be the band taking a break but I think not. Add in the Festival Republic link to Berlin, the similar sized festival shows they're doing, the gap I see in the EP lineup (disputed by many I accept) and I expect them to play. Mid-June is late, but it'll still leave 11 weeks before the festival. I would be very surprised if Berlin is a standalone gig in the six weeks between Japanese and US festivals. And we always get three announcements.

They last announcement is always filler bands. It's not going to happen. If Radiohead were booked, they would have been announced from day one to sell tickets. "Lads, I know you've 50000 tickets to sell but any chance you could hold 3 months to announce us"? I don't think so. Build a bridge lad

Predictive text lol

EP has far more money due to the increased capacity and I think they've spent it in booking some more big acts we'll hear about soon. If not I'm going to get deservedly slaughtered on this site.

EP has massive debts for the last 4-5 years. They are most certainly clawing some of it back

Sfa and chemical Bros friday
    Mr.gallagher and I'm assuming LCD Saturday as
    LDR and new order are sunday

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Bandsintown have Catfish down for friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

declanleo wrote: »
    They last announcement is always filler bands. It's not going to happen. If Radiohead were booked, they would have been announced from day one to sell tickets. "Lads, I know you've 50000 tickets to sell but any chance you could hold 3 months to announce us"? I don't think so.

Yeah I can't see any logic at this stage for thinking Radiohead will be added. They've announced their standalone gigs, they've announced festivals. Why would they be holding off on EP?

This is one of those instances in which I'll be delighted to be wrong but can't see it happening.

EP has far more money due to the increased capacity and I think they've spent it in booking some more big acts we'll hear about soon. If not I'm going to get deservedly slaughtered on this site.

EP has massive debts for the last 4-5 years. They are most certainly clawing some of it back
    Then why book Blur last year? Surely took a big chunk out of the profits when they were going to sell out anyway. 20,000 increase in capacity since 2013 and they'll want to sell out 2017 so more big acts for this year will help. They also posted big profits for the past three years and 2016 will undoubtedly continue that run. If no more decent acts to come then I'll happily accept being wrong, but let's see what happens in the next few weeks.

They last announcement is always filler bands. It's not going to happen. If Radiohead were booked, they would have been announced from day one to sell tickets. "Lads, I know you've 50000 tickets to sell but any chance you could hold 3 months to announce us"? I don't think so. Build a bridge lad
    Legal contracts is the answer. Radiohead would have been the party setting conditions, not EP. The third announcement has usually been minor, but things change. For last year's fest Belle & Sebastian and Roisin Murphy were announced 9 months beforehand and then dribs and drabs. The schedule ain't set in stone. Let's see what happens this month.

They last announcement is always filler bands. It's not going to happen. If Radiohead were booked, they would have been announced from day one to sell tickets. "Lads, I know you've 50000 tickets to sell but any chance you could hold 3 months to announce us"? I don't think so.

Yeah I can't see any logic at this stage for thinking Radiohead will be added. They've announced their standalone gigs, they've announced festivals. Why would they be holding off on EP?

This is one of those instances in which I'll be delighted to be wrong but can't see it happening.
    Six week gap between Japanese & US festivals, with one Berlin fest bang in the middle. Not inconceivable that they'll announce other fests as their press release said when they revealed the other dates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Ah Lord Jaysus , give the radiohead pony a break

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement