Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 PerryGroves7

siblers wrote: »
    Foals and The National hopefully, maybe The Maccabees too.

I was hoping for a late Maccabees addition to EP15, alas it failed to materialise.
    They're my big hope for next year, and they could easily handle headlining. They've a Huge back catalogue now, and the new album is very good.

The national would be a dream come true, but I'm not optimistic.

The xx or Jamie xx would be very cool.

Nick Cave & the bad seeds would be an interesting addition too.

Wolf Alice played in '14 but would love to see them back. Same goes for Young Fathers, gutted i missed them!

POLIÇA would be a good fit I think.

Caribou would make many boardies happy.

And finally...

ORBITAL. Now that would be amazing.

Aaaaah, whatever. I won't be buying my ticket based on the line-up anyway. Guaranteed to have a great time exploring and finding new bands either way.

And to those asking about the camper van area, it's brilliant, and I totally recommend it. Forget the madness about the long walk. You are gonna be wandering around all day long, the camper vans are 15 mins from main arena. It's nothing! But you do get a far more comfortable environment, it's not dull by Any means, but there's a bit of peace and quiet at the dead of night which is always appreciated. And space to breathe. Do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Whether people like them or not I'd say that one of the headliners next year will be Kodaline. They played the main stage early in the day a couple of years ago when they weren't well known, but they're well known enough now to headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Folks...question regarding Pink Moon? Does the availability tend to go pretty quickly or would I be OK holding out for a few weeks. Our first time going to EP, so wife wants the benefits of doink the pink moon camping

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

You'll never know who will come out of retirement or some electronica genius who has been asleep and dormant for the last five years or someone new who will splay you alive with their sound. We'll just have to see what the weird and wonderful will throw us next year. The Picnic might even announce stuff earlier this year than December, I wouldn't put it past them anyway.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

LowOdour wrote: »
    Folks...question regarding Pink Moon? Does the availability tend to go pretty quickly or would I be OK holding out for a few weeks. Our first time going to EP, so wife wants the benefits of doink the pink moon camping

I'd say you'll be fine until 2016. We only booked ours in March of this year for EP2015. Keep an eye on their site as you'll see if anything is sold out. As soon as one of the tent types sells out (I think it was the 2 man bell tent first this year) then jump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Have no idea who could be possible for next year. As much as I think everyone would love Daft Punk I think they're just a pipe dream, surely they could almost sell 50,000 tickets by themselves somewhere else, plus they haven't toured in years. Combine this with the fact I think they would encourage the wrong crowd to go it would make them a big no overall. I'd also say Disclosure would be too big/attract the wrong crowd too, they were great in 2013 but they've shot up since then and I don't think they would be a realistic headliner again. The likes of Stevie Wonder, Fleetwood Mac or Prince would be unbelievable but unfortunately can't see them happening either.

I think Caribou is definitely due an appearance, would love to see Basement Jaxx on the line up too. I reckon Foals could be headliner material, they're a band who seem to appeal to a lot of people who would go to Electric Picnic. Say it every year but would love to see Todd Terje somewhere in there, but having played Longitude & now Metropolis in November I wonder will he come back for another festival next summer?

How important are the headliners to EP I wonder? I'd be fairly certain it will sell out regardless of who they are.

We're all probably a million miles off but have to love the speculation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Yeah, read the first few pages of the EP 2015 thread and see how pointless it is trying to predict line ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Paddy2012

siblers wrote: »
    Foals and The National hopefully, maybe The Maccabees too.

I think the national are a good shout but would foals be booked again so soon after playing last year? Also now she's touring again I'd love to see Grimes play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I'd say anyone that went to the pink moon will go again. I think there will be a lot of people that camped in the main campsite will be making a move for it this year. I'd recommend booking it as soon as it is available.
    Went this year and it was brilliant. Could never go back to the old camp site after it

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Paddy2012

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Whether people like them or not I'd say that one of the headliners next year will be Kodaline. They played the main stage early in the day a couple of years ago when they weren't well known, but they're well known enough now to headline.

I remember seeing kodaline on the body and soul stage in 2012 and its funny because they had a far more rockier sound than how they are now. I'm not really a massive fan but could definately see them in a similar slot to what Sam Smith had this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    I think the national are a good shout but would foals be booked again so soon after playing last year? Also now she's touring again I'd love to see Grimes play.

They'll be touring their new album next year and will be doing the festival circuit, seems nailed on they will either play EP or Longitude.
    I was hoping for a late Maccabees addition to EP15, alas it failed to materialise.
    They're my big hope for next year, and they could easily handle headlining. They've a Huge back catalogue now, and the new album is very good.
    I was pretty sickened they weren't added, same with Jamie T. At least The Maccabees have their own show in January! They played Longitude in 2012 or either 2013 so there's a possibility they'll play that over EP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Re: Nick Cave. Has he performed since his son died? If he is up to touring next year, I could see it being intimate gigs and not festivals. Would love to see him though!

Re: Daft Punk. I agree that they are highly unlikely to play EP, but wholeheartedly disagree that they would attract the wrong crowd. Daft Punk in Marley was the most fun I have ever had at a gig, and the best crowd I have ever been in.

Re: Kodaline, yes I caught that B&S main stage gig a few years back, and they grabbed my attention. Tight vocals, much more ballsy sound. What happened? Grey's Anatomy I think! They realised that type of song was gonna bring in the dollar!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sputnick123

some pink moon was still available in the weeks leading up to picnic this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

sadie06 wrote: »
    Re: Nick Cave. Has he performed since his son died? If he is up to touring next year, I could see it being intimate gigs and not festivals. Would love to see him though!

Re: Daft Punk. I agree that they are highly unlikely to play EP, but wholeheartedly disagree that they would attract the wrong crowd. Daft Punk in Marley was the most fun I have ever had at a gig, and the best crowd I have ever been in.

Re: Kodaline, yes I caught that B&S main stage gig a few years back, and they grabbed my attention. Tight vocals, much more ballsy sound. What happened? Grey's Anatomy I think! They realised that type of song was gonna bring in the dollar!

Can't attract any crowd as by the time acts are announced i have a feeling the vast majority of tickets will be sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Bowlardo wrote: »
    I'd say anyone that went to the pink moon will go again. I think there will be a lot of people that camped in the main campsite will be making a move for it this year. I'd recommend booking it as soon as it is available.
    Went this year and it was brilliant. Could never go back to the old camp site after it

Is the security the main benefit of it? Is it less noisy, cleaner etc? Camped at oxegen many moons ago...I've become accustomed to my comfort in the intervening years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

sadie06 wrote: »

Things have changed a lot since that gig in 2006. They were big before the alive tour but they were absolutely massive after it. Its hugely responsible in dance music regaining popularity here and its boom in the US. The you had to "get lucky" hype. Sadly with Dance acts in particular the more popular they get to more they attract scuts.

Saying that a Daft Punk gig wouldn't have the same "avoid at all costs " warning signs like some EDM sh1te like SHM Guetta or Avicii or whoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Is the security the main benefit of it? Is it less noisy, cleaner etc? Camped at oxegen many moons ago...I've become accustomed to my comfort in the intervening years!

Its everything. Less crowds, more organised. No madness. You can get sleep time. Showers, bar/restaurant, phone charging, good toilets.

Its the whole package really and the safeness of it too. The other campsites are literally like war zones compared to it and i don't know how anyone could camp in those ones unless they are very young and don't give a crap lol. We couldn't praise the site highly enough all weekend and kept saying it was well worth paying the extra and would def come back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can people please stop talking up Pink Moon please? I don't want to be unable to get back in next year when it's sold out early.

But honestly, I literally couldn't go to Electric Picnic if I wasn't in Pink Moon. People around you actually sleep - there's no screaming 17-year-olds singing half-arsed versions of Raglan Road at 6am and no-one falls on your tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,204 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Is there much of an extra cost in pink moon? Also what would be the restrictions in terms of being up late, not necessarily loud but just sitting outside the tents chatting?

andreac wrote: »
    Its everything. Less crowds, more organised. No madness. You can get sleep time. Showers, bar/restaurant, phone charging, good toilets.

Its the whole package really and the safeness of it too. The other campsites are literally like war zones compared to it and i don't know how anyone could camp in those ones unless they are very young and don't give a crap lol. We couldn't praise the site highly enough all weekend and kept saying it was well worth paying the extra and would def come back again.

We went to Hendrix to get food and through Wilde to meet a mate. They were absolute carnage, the difference to Pink Moon was just unbelievable. I've also stayed in Hendrix a couple of times years ago. Queues for the toilets alone would break your heart

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    Is there much of an extra cost in pink moon? Also what would be the restrictions in terms of being up late, not necessarily loud but just sitting outside the tents chatting?

Averages about an extra 100 per person. I actually don't think I saw anyone hanging around their tents after 3am so not sure if it's discouraged or not.

You can stay up as long as you arent being too loud to be honest. You can sit down at the restaurant and chat and drink there. We didnt get back to our tents until around 6am sat morn and around 7.30am sun morn. When we walked through at 6am sat morn it was so quiet, was lovely. People just seem to have more respect for each other in there and don't cause havoc.

I hope it doesnt sell out too quick either as i dont have the money to book either ticket or tent for a month or two.

Yeah think most people were going back to their tents and bringing cans over to the Cracked Pepper and the picnic benches around there rather than sitting outside their tents. Like andreac said, everyone just has that bit more respect for the people around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,204 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Hmm that sounds really tempting, unsure if I could convince a group to do it though, I guess the hassle of not having to buy/erect/fall over tents would make it more worth it. Can anyone put up a general price list for it to save a lot of googling?

Liam O wrote: »
    Hmm that sounds really tempting, unsure if I could convince a group to do it though, I guess the hassle of not having to buy/erect/fall over tents would make it more worth it. Can anyone put up a general price list for it to save a lot of googling?

http://www.pinkmooncamping.co.uk/accommodation.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Where is Pink Moon in relation to the main site ?

Right behind the Electric Arena. There's an entrance to it beside the EA

Have a look at the 2015 site map below - too big to embed

https://thelastmixedtapedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/11958191_10153589719289168_8608224901847864096_o.jpg

When you come in paintball entrance to get wristband, when you come down to the little crossroads type thing in forest just a bit down from the entrance, you turn left and Pink Moon just there then on the right when you go down that path.

The other entrance then was right beside the Comedy tent. Was great!! But it did close at 12am Fri & Sun and 2am Sat night, so you had to walk through forest then to get back, past Salty Dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭PatrickIde1187

Probably zero chance of either being booked , but both Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath are doing massive world tours next year. Would LOVE if one of those got on the EP16 bill , tho I am probably the only one haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Based on nothing other than my own boredom.

Based on the popularity of the Electric Ireland 90s yoke, i can see them expanding this further over the next few years.
    There's a set of festivals in the UK called rewind, and are all 80s/90s acts.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the EI stage/tent expanding into something like a rewind stage.

When it started it was just Mr Motivator, then just Bonnie Tyler last year. They had separate acts each day this year, so that's the direction it seems to be going in. I haven't been since the 1st Mr Motivator year, but it seemed to be jammers any time i wandered past.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement