Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm really surprised Oxygen has never returned, but maybe Longitude would preclude it from being successful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The Nal wrote: »
    Course they can but buying now for well over the odds feeds the touts. The knock on effect is that touts will continue to buy as many tickets as possible for events that they know will sell well/sell out (like The Picnic) and knock them out for silly money.

So genuine gig goers have less chance of getting a tickets first time out and end up paying more.

Maybe I should rephrase it so. "selfish f cking idiots"

But you forget that only a minority of people actually care..

This of course is the sad and very relevant point.
    MJohnston wrote: »
    I'm really surprised Oxygen has never returned

With the 30,000 scumbags, the fights in the campsites, the stabbings, the sexual assaults, the aggressive security, the draconian rules and zero late night entertainment people didn't seem to keen to cough up 250 quid.

With the 30,000 scumbags, the fights in the campsites, the stabbings, the sexual assaults, the aggressive security, the draconian rules and zero late night entertainment people didn't seem to keen to cough up 250 quid.

I dunno, I thought the recession just killed it off, I seem to remember plenty of folks willing to pay to go to it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Do you think there might be an announcement on Friday, they don't seem to be doing the 'announcement coming' thing anymore these days and just announce a bunch of names whenever. Wouldn't mind a few more acts to chew over.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Do you think there might be an announcement on Friday, they don't seem to be doing the 'announcement coming' thing anymore these days and just announce a bunch of names whenever. Wouldn't mind a few more acts to chew over.

Call me cynical, but I am only expecting smaller acts (mainly Irish) to be announced from here on .. I would like to be wrong, but ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Definitely. PJ Harvey, Radiohead and Aviici to be added.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I dunno, I thought the recession just killed it off, I seem to remember plenty of folks willing to pay to go to it

Easy to blame it on the recession. The fact that it became Mecca for pissed and drugged up scumbags is what really killed it off. And the ****ty organisation from MCD.

Last time I went was 07 ish I think after I was waiting for a friend in the main arena (which was empty after the main act at 11pm) and a security guy starting pushing me and shouting in my face for me to "GO BACK TO YOUR TENT". Explained that I was driving home and waiting on my mate who was in the toilet. "YOU HAVE TO GO BACK TO YOUR TENT!!"

"I told you I'm not camping, I'm driving home. Just waiting on my friend. They'll be here in a minute".

*push push* "MOVE" etc.

Was all quite surreal actually. No one within 50 metres of us.

But sending people back to the campsites at 11pm like a boarding school and offering no late night entertainment. Course there was going to be hassle. Did they expect 40,000 people to go to bed at 11pm on a Saturday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Definitely. PJ Harvey, Radiohead and Aviici to be added.

If Aviici was playing I really would consider pissing in a cup and throwing it at him, he is the sh1test of sh1te when it comes to DJs. No I'm thinking more in the lines of classic eighties acts that would do the late afternoon spot or early evening. I wonder what sh1te the ESB tent will come up with this year lol.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I wonder what the facebook response would be to Aviici.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I wonder what the facebook response would be to Aviici.

The internets would drown in the moisture and froth from their collective knicker pissing.

• Advertisement

The internets would drown in the moisture and froth from their collective knicker pissing.

its so sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Call me cynical, but I am only expecting smaller acts (mainly Irish) to be announced from here on .. I would like to be wrong, but ..

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Don't mind your avicci , Dave guetta etc
    Can't wait to give it socks to this

https://youtu.be/TtGumgki4FU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Confirmed now

http://www.electricpicnic.ie/news/hazel-wood-new-theatre-space-woods

If you go down to the woods, you’re sure of a big Picnic surprise.
    This year, we are introducing a new interactive theatre space in the woods called The Hazel Wood. The programme will include mesmerising storytelling through interactive theatre, shadow puppetry, visual displays, Commedia Dell’Arte workshops, visual art and much more.

On the opening night of the festival, The Hazel Wood will play host to an exclusive live performance from Cathy Davey. From midnight on Friday, you can catch Cathy perform her brand new album for the very first time in its entirety.

Footsbarn Travelling Theatre will enchant you with their interactive and experimental theatre with a series of specially commissioned performances that will enchant and delight. Twisted Tales hosted by The Gaiety School of Acting will have a series of workshops and performances in Commedia Dell'Arte for adults and the very bravest of children. This theatrical forest foray will see characters in masquerade wandering straight off storybook pages and into the tree-lined paths of Electric Picnic.

Returning to Electric Picnic with a brand new show, the Lords of Strut are set to get you laughing with their new performance – Late Night TV Talk Show. The irrepressible Mary Mary is Púca Puppet’s oldest performer and is inviting you to join her around the campfire for a tale or two. Fossetts Circus will also be stopping by for a gravity-defying aerial performance.

Venture into a classical music realm with Siobhra Quinlan's The Melting Pot or try your hand at mask making with Behind The Mask. Escape To Lucy's Lounge and The Costume Mistress where you can contribute to a festival commemorative quilt or play dress-up with an array of theatre and film costumes.

When the sun sets, the wood will serve as the setting for live Shadow Puppetry by Javanese Gamelan in conjunction with The National Concert Hall. The Cerebral Fortress urges you to be brave in the woods, close your eyes and tap into an immersive and augmented reality in your own psyche.

Generic People will host The Hazel Wood After Dark, with incandescent visuals and lighting, a soul-lifting selection of feel-good live acts, musicians, DJs and performances featuring Cathy Davey, We Lived In Cities, Jack O’Rourke, MKAI, Carried By Waves, Exit: Pursued by a Bear, Emmet Homebeat and Jim X Comet’s David Bowie Experience​.

As Electric Picnic draws to a close on Sunday evening, the costumed characters and otherworldly beings at Electric Picnic will lead a procession across the entire festival before they gather in The Hazel Wood for the closing party featuring The Yorudny Ensemble.

The Hazel Wood will also feature immersive art pieces including 'Messengers' by Theresa Wuinn, 'Zoomophism' by Sandra Daveron and Emma Jane Rushmore's wire sculptures. Patsy Preston's creative touch will bring traditional paintings to a new dimension and Triangle Production who are creating a magical stage for our artists to perform on.

Avicii is lightweight, Las Vegas friendly pish. Same with Guetta. Thankfully they'd pull a bigger crowd with a solo concert than at something like EP.

Confirmed now

http://www.electricpicnic.ie/news/hazel-wood-new-theatre-space-woods

If you go down to the woods, you’re sure of a big Picnic surprise.

This all sounds very promising and surprisingly creative ..

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Jim Carroll implying that EP doing things on the cheap as show sold out so far in advance.

Jim Carroll implying that EP doing things on the cheap as show sold out so far in advance.

Which is what we have been saying in this thread for months .. Feck off Jim, stop robbing our thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

@jimcarrollOTR
    As event sold out ages in advance, no need to spend €€€ on overpriced talent. Hope punters are happy with "mesmerising storytelling"

Oh Dear. Now i'm worried.
    While the line-up is good, it's definitely in need of some quality mid-tier acts.
    The addition of new artsy stuff is always welcome, but not at the expense of the music.

He usually knows his stuff?

Body and Soul don't have their lineup out yet, do they? That should be full of great mid-tier acts.

• Advertisement

@jimcarrollOTR
    As event sold out ages in advance, no need to spend €€€ on overpriced talent. Hope punters are happy with "mesmerising storytelling"

Oh Dear. Now i'm worried.
    While the line-up is good, it's definitely in need of some quality mid-tier acts.
    The addition of new artsy stuff is always welcome, but not at the expense of the music.

He usually knows his stuff?

He is just speculating like the rest of us... The distinct lack of atmosphere building shenanigans on Facebook does lead us to believe that nothing of any substance will be announced from here on.

As was pointed out several times on this thread already, there is a clear lack of mid-tier and up-and-coming acts on this lineup. These do not cost big bucks but are what have always made EP great in the past. Not this year. Off the top of my head, Whitney is about the only act in that category.

Body and Soul don't have their lineup out yet, do they? That should be full of great mid-tier acts.

This is true. A couple of years back they had TuneYards and Young Fathers back to back .. wow that was something. Last year they had Natalie Prass and Ho99o9. So yes there are always some good mid-tier acts from B&S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

There will be some great acts but very much lower tier.

There will be some great acts but very much lower tier.

So TuneYards, Young Fathers, Natalie Prass are not what you would consider mid-tier acts ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

So TuneYards, Young Fathers, Natalie Prass are not what you would consider mid-tier acts ?

I've never heard of any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Synode wrote: »

Oh, well in that case...:pac:

Ironically Tuneyards would be high tier just for me personally!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Tuneyards midnight show was one of the highlights of the 2014 festival

Synode wrote: »

I think you will find that you have heard all of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Oh, well in that case...:pac:

In that case what

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement