Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BlaaEater

That is some weak **** and no mistake.

Ezra F and Girls Names are doubling up. The rest is mostly guff.

Worst.
    B&S line-up.
    Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Hopefully red bull tent has some good announcement soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

BlaaEater wrote: »
    That is some weak **** and no mistake.

Ezra F and Girls Names are doubling up. The rest is mostly guff.

Worst.
    B&S line-up.
    Ever.

agreed. lots of the usual names and 2 of the biggest ones already on the normal lineup...

Hopefully red bull tent has some good announcement soon

assuming there is a Red Bull tent/stage....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

where do LCD say they're playing Saturday?

They don't but with chems headline Friday and new order on Sunday they are a stick on for Saturday night after NGHFB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Source?

No source but with chems playing Friday according to their site and new order and LDR playing Sunday according to their Website it's a stick on for lcd to play Saturday after NGHFB

assuming there is a Red Bull tent/stage....

😨

😨

That's meant to be a worried face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The announcements since the initial one in March have been disappointing. Casa Bacardi is below par this year, the RBMA in the woods is no more and it's replacement is way below the level of acts we're used to, Body & Souls announcement today is very typical but bad form that two of their big acts are on the main bill already. If they don't announce some new form of RBMA stage in the arena OR have another decent announcement for the main arena acts there are going to be a lot of disappointed people.

The announcements since the initial one in March have been disappointing. Casa Bacardi is below par this year, the RBMA in the woods is no more and it's replacement is way below the level of acts we're used to, Body & Souls announcement today is very typical but bad form that two of their big acts are on the main bill already. If they don't announce some new form of RBMA stage in the arena OR have another decent announcement for the main arena acts there are going to be a lot of disappointed people.
    if LCD were on the Sunday, I'd 100% be trying to get a Sunday ticket and selling my weekend one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Ezra F and Girls Names might not be doubling up, they might just be listed on the main lineup because of their status, and were always booked for B&S

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

if LCD were on the Sunday, I'd 100% be trying to get a Sunday ticket and selling my weekend one.

I'm thinkingof selling mine now to be honest. Take LCD sound system out of lineup and i wouldn't go at all anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

It's not a great line-up by any stretch of the imagination, but there has been other years with average line-ups and it has never stopped me from having a terrific time. actually the better the line-up the more bands I miss and the bigger the regret afterwards. I'm looking forward to it as much as any other year because it's always a cracking weekend spent with friends. If anything the line-up this year will force me into spending time in different areas which I've neglected other years. EP is never about the line-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭lc180

When was the Day by Day breakdown / Sunday line up announced in previous years?

lc180 wrote: »
    When was the Day by Day breakdown / Sunday line up announced in previous years?

It's never earlier than the week of the festival.

Sounds like a cop-out, but I agree with Blackie_IRL - I remember 2014 had an amazing lineup (for me anyway), but I missed half of what I wanted to see and ended up running around most of the weekend scooting from arena to arena. Had no time to relax, and enjoy myself!

It's not a great line-up by any stretch of the imagination, but there has been other years with average line-ups and it has never stopped me from having a terrific time. actually the better the line-up the more bands I miss and the bigger the regret afterwards. I'm looking forward to it as much as any other year because it's always a cracking weekend spent with friends. If anything the line-up this year will force me into spending time in different areas which I've neglected other years. EP is never about the line-up.
    maybe i'd feel this way if I hadn't been going since 2005 and it hadn't gone all tacky Oxegen-lite over the last couple of years. it's all just so stale these days, but with added crap.
    only the music acts booked have kept me going back for the last few years, but there's barely anything there this year that I'm interested in.

chopser wrote: »
    I'm thinkingof selling mine now to be honest. Take LCD sound system out of lineup and i wouldn't go at all anymore
    me neither, and even with them, I'm half on the fence as I saw them at Glastonbury and there's strong rumours of them doing a UK tour in the winter, which would probably mean an Irish date too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

A few posters have made similar comments as it's become more and more apparent that no more big acts are coming.

I agree it will still be a cracking weekend, and you're right that the most enjoyable gigs are usually not the headliners, half the fun is discovering new acts.

And yet...

There's something inherently wrong with a festival that dramatically increases capacity, charges the same ticket prices and reduces the quality of the line-up.

I suppose if it sells out every year, then there's no impetus for the promoters to do anything different, supply and demand etc, but still like...

If a music festival isn't about the lineup why don't u save your money and just go camping in a random field with your friends n listen to music on a ghetto blaster .
    You always have people on here saying its great craic regardless of who's playing , and yes I agree I'll have great craic at it but if I'm shelling out €240 odd quid for a ticket I want to see loads of good acts .
    Not just kill time in an arty farty area making puppets or queuing for an hour to get a pie because there's big gaping holes in the lineup

If a music festival isn't about the lineup why don't u save your money and just go camping in a random field with your friends n listen to music on a ghetto blaster .
    You always have people on here saying its great craic regardless of who's playing , and yes I agree I'll have great craic at it but if I'm shelling out €240 odd quid for a ticket I want to see loads of good acts .
    Not just kill time in an arty farty area making puppets or queuing for an hour to get a pie because there's big gaping holes in the lineup

Not really fair - that might be all you're able to make of the weekend without a big lineup, but for other people there's still plenty of magic to be found. I went to Body and Soul last year, saw about 5 minutes of SFA, and not much else, but still had the best weekend of the last 10 years of my life.

Also not fair because not all of us were shelling out 240 for tickets ;)

• Advertisement

unfortunately (for me at least), it's becoming less and less about the music for people as the years go by, as evidenced by the amount of non-music areas and announcements, and the amount of dickheads sitting around drinking in the campsites all weekend.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Not really fair - that might be all you're able to make of the weekend without a big lineup, but for other people there's still plenty of magic to be found. I went to Body and Soul last year, saw about 5 minutes of SFA, and not much else, but still had the best weekend of the last 10 years of my life.

Well For me running around most of the weekend scooting from arena to arena is exactly how I enjoy myself at a music festival , there's plenty of time in the mornings to relax n wander round

Well For me running around most of the weekend scooting from arena to arena is exactly how I enjoy myself at a music festival , there's plenty of time in the mornings to relax n wander round

Great, that's fine, but it's not how everyone enjoys festivals. Some people here seem to think everyone can only enjoy a fest in the way that they do, and they must be wasters otherwise!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

This September, Just Eat will bring the Just Eat Retreat back to Electric Picnic for the third year.
    The area will offer festival goers a destination where they can relax, order food and drink to be delivered by the Just Eat waiters and enjoy some luxurious pampering from a range of services, including barbers and beauticians.

Also on the menu this year is a series of 'Tent Talks' at the Just Eat Retreat, which will deliver 10-minute inspirational talks from a diverse range of contributors, including Marissa Carter, founder of Cocoa Brown, and Tropical Popical owner Andrea Horan. Ensuring the festival experience is as convenient as possible, Just Eat will introduce the Just Eat Picnic Porters, a concierge service to help festival-goers deliver their kit easily from the car park to the festival entrance.

Just Eat is also using its prominent presence at the festival to help drive awareness of the issue of homelessness. Working with its charity partner, the Peter McVerry Trust, one of the ‘Tent Talks’ will focus on this growing social issue. They will also be tapping into the generosity of festival-goers by looking for a voluntary contribution for the treats on offer at the Just Eat Retreat, with all funds raised going to the Peter McVerry Trust.

Customers who were not lucky enough to have a ticket to this year’s sold-out festival will have a chance to win up to 10 pairs of VIP weekend tickets through Just Eat. They will place branded 'festival forks' in ten random takeaway orders around the country between now and 27th August. All you have to do is find the fork and you are on your way to Electric Picnic, VIP style.

Marissa Carter and Andrea Horan groundbreaking stuff

unfortunately (for me at least), it's becoming less and less about the music for people as the years go by, as evidenced by the amount of non-music areas and announcements, and the amount of dickheads sitting around drinking in the campsites all weekend.

I know , I don't even camp anymore , this will be my 8th EP and the last 3 years I've slept in my van in the car park

maybe i'd feel this way if I hadn't been going since 2005 and it hadn't gone all tacky Oxegen-lite over the last couple of years. it's all just so stale these days, but with added crap.
    only the music acts booked have kept me going back for the last few years, but there's barely anything there this year that I'm interested in.

I can understand the "Oxegen Lite" comments, but when Festival Republic took over they were always going to expand the festival, the capacity increases over the last few years has moved EP well beyond "Boutique". My favourite years were when they didn't sell out, when there was no crowding and plenty of space on the site, but I can also remember being in empty tents during the day for great bands so it's a fine line. I think the "added crap" is essential tbh, they need new areas to spread the 55k crowd around. I for one don't mind them doing that as long as the "profile" of music at the festival doesn't change. Don't forget Oxegen by the end was a dance/pop scanger gathering. Work your way through the EP lineup and it is of a similar ilk to previous years. Not forgetting their knack of signing up bands on the cusp of breaking big.

Great, that's fine, but it's not how everyone enjoys festivals. Some people here seem to think everyone can only enjoy a fest in the way that they do, and they must be wasters otherwise!

Exactly MJohnston, it's just a tad annoying some of us can't say we are not happy with the lineup without getting the usual "it's not about the music , there's plenty more things to discover"
    We'll agree to disagree boss , this new rent bull tent announcement will restore my faith , fingers crossed !

I meant to say it isn't JUST about the line-up. And for the record I spend very little time in the campsite, usually between the hours of 5am and 12am :eek:. Lucky for me I don't shell out 240E anymore because of the loyalty scheme but for plenty of years I did. A music festival is different for everyone that attends, you want established acts on the line-up that you like which is fair enough, others like to discover new acts over the weekend. Each to their own.

Apparently if you don't hang around the main stage, electric arena or rankin woods for the weekend you have no right to be at the festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

If Electric Picnic have done everything on the cheap because it sold out quickly as they've been accused of and they don't feel the need to spend big to get decent acts, then they're simply shooting themselves in the foot.

If people don't like the lineup this year, then it quite simply won't sell out early next year as people wait until the last minute to buy a ticket. Festivals only sell out before the lineups are announced because people have faith in what's going to be announced. Once that trust is gone then the organisers start down a slippery slope!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement