Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

MJohnston wrote: »
    Great, that's fine, but it's not how everyone enjoys festivals. Some people here seem to think everyone can only enjoy a fest in the way that they do, and they must be wasters otherwise!

Exactly MJohnston, it's just a tad annoying some of us can't say we are not happy with the lineup without getting the usual "it's not about the music , there's plenty more things to discover"
    We'll agree to disagree boss , this new rent bull tent announcement will restore my faith , fingers crossed !

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

If a music festival isn't about the lineup why don't u save your money and just go camping in a random field with your friends n listen to music on a ghetto blaster .
    You always have people on here saying its great craic regardless of who's playing , and yes I agree I'll have great craic at it but if I'm shelling out €240 odd quid for a ticket I want to see loads of good acts .
    Not just kill time in an arty farty area making puppets or queuing for an hour to get a pie because there's big gaping holes in the lineup

I meant to say it isn't JUST about the line-up. And for the record I spend very little time in the campsite, usually between the hours of 5am and 12am :eek:. Lucky for me I don't shell out 240E anymore because of the loyalty scheme but for plenty of years I did. A music festival is different for everyone that attends, you want established acts on the line-up that you like which is fair enough, others like to discover new acts over the weekend. Each to their own.

Not really fair - that might be all you're able to make of the weekend without a big lineup, but for other people there's still plenty of magic to be found. I went to Body and Soul last year, saw about 5 minutes of SFA, and not much else, but still had the best weekend of the last 10 years of my life.

Also not fair because not all of us were shelling out 240 for tickets ;)

Apparently if you don't hang around the main stage, electric arena or rankin woods for the weekend you have no right to be at the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

If Electric Picnic have done everything on the cheap because it sold out quickly as they've been accused of and they don't feel the need to spend big to get decent acts, then they're simply shooting themselves in the foot.

If people don't like the lineup this year, then it quite simply won't sell out early next year as people wait until the last minute to buy a ticket. Festivals only sell out before the lineups are announced because people have faith in what's going to be announced. Once that trust is gone then the organisers start down a slippery slope!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Th snapchat and instragram selfie crowd along with the good times back will fill this easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Synode wrote: »

Happy Enough with that, Barry Redsetta and a few others there, should make for some good night gigs. Now where's my pogo stick : )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Synode wrote: »

Theres a few decent previously unannounced acts in there (e.g. MOTHXR), a few that have been on the Irish festival circuit for years... and a good few I have no idea who they are... So while not mind blowing, probably could just stay up there for the whole weekend to be fair, depending on the unknowns.

On a different note .. when did a commercial entity like Just Eat Retreat become sort of part of the festival proper complete with announcements? Really scraping the bottom of the barrel methinks. I suppose if you have nothing more to add (which is pretty much apparent at this stage), you have to feign excitement somehow ... the weird thing is the facebook crew are delighted ... what has happened to the world?

So 5 weeks to go and we are almost done with announcements bar:

Final main act announcement
    Trailer Park
    Comedy
    Jerry Fish
    Red Bull
    Salty Dog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

a lot of people were having faith with b&s saving the day with a few new mid-tier additions... what now?!

someone said a few pages back that there's been worse EP lineups. name one?

i'm feeling very vindicated selling my tickets (and also saving €600 on my hotel, nearly €1500 in total saved). if anyone else has same idea, the demand on DoneDeal is unreal. it's become a weekend for the event junkies like a Springsteen gig or the Galway races. lineup doesn't matter anymore. MCD are cashing in on their investment after losing so much over the years. i just wish i went to Longitude in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hotel?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

a lot of people were having faith with b&s saving the day with a few new mid-tier additions... what now?!

Mid-tier for me is artists that are about to break through and I haven't heard of yet. Body and Soul lineup looks to be full of those (already discovered two great bands thanks to the Spotify playlist today!)

i'm feeling very vindicated selling my tickets (and also saving €600 on my hotel, nearly €1500 in total saved). if anyone else has same idea, the demand on DoneDeal is unreal. it's become a weekend for the event junkies like a Springsteen gig or the Galway races. lineup doesn't matter anymore. MCD are cashing in on their investment after losing so much over the years. i just wish i went to Longitude in the end

Wow Longitude is appalling, good line-ups (though this year was poor) but everything else about it is cheaply done.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Apparently if you're not uber excited about every single announcement made by the organisers you have no right to be at the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Wow Longitude is appalling, good line-ups (though this year was poor) but everything else about it is cheaply done.
    what is cheaply done about Longitude?

as far as I could tell, the music tents, food stalls, bars, sh1tty 3Plus area etc are all the exact ones that appear at EP.
    hell, the main stage is probably the exact same one used at both...

what is cheaply done about Longitude?

as far as I could tell, the music tents, food stalls, bars, sh1tty 3Plus area etc are all the exact ones that appear at EP.
    hell, the main stage is probably the exact same one used at both...

I've been at it every year bar this year and find it to be poorly organised and cheaply put together, especially the sound. It's improved over the years, there was very little food choice in the early years for example, and a chronic lack of toilets. Then there's the 10.30 curfew and the venue which has poor access. Comparing it to EP is like comparing apples and oranges. EP is light years ahead.

Edit: And the crowd at Longitude is young, very young, not that I care but IMO it's generally a crap crowd, I'm not saying the EP crowd is perfect but I find the older generation to be better represented

• Registered Users Posts: 2 alexandra Kelley

i'd love to make it this year but unfortunately i'll be out of the country. Such a shame as I genuinely believe festival has so much to offer and has given me so many good memories :). Gone but not forgotten, till next year :)

i'd love to make it this year but unfortunately i'll be out of the country. Such a shame as I genuinely believe festival has so much to offer and has given me so many good memories :). Gone but not forgotten, till next year :)

I think you are in the wrong thread with all that cheerful banter about "so much to offer" ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

That's got to be the most random bizarre post in this thread so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Trailer Park
    Comedy
    Jerry Fish
    Red Bull
    Salty Dog

There is apparently (according to the last OV release) a few more to be announced for Other Voices

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I've been at it every year bar this year and find it to be poorly organised and cheaply put together, especially the sound. It's improved over the years, there was very little food choice in the early years for example, and a chronic lack of toilets. Then there's the 10.30 curfew and the venue which has poor access. Comparing it to EP is like comparing apples and oranges. EP is light years ahead.

Edit: And the crowd at Longitude is young, very young, not that I care but IMO it's generally a crap crowd, I'm not saying the EP crowd is perfect but I find the older generation to be better represented
    I've been at it every year, including this year.
    11pm curfew is a residential area licence requirement, so nothing to do with "cheapness".
    there's nothing whatsoever wrong with the access, the park itself is extremely easy to get in and out of, and the public transport options are much better than EP.
    no problem with the sound this year (and it's almost certainly the same rig as used at EP), sh1tloads of toilets (so many that every time i went there were multiple ones free), and plenty of food options, all of which also appear at EP (eg. Kinara Kitchen).

not really sure what the age of the crowd has to do with "cheapness"...

they're only apples and oranges in the types of festivals they are. from an organisational point of view, both are run by Festival Republic and Longitude has all the same standard of stage infrastructure, facilities (toilet numbers are defined by licence standards), security company, food vendors, etc. etc. as appear at EP.

• Advertisement

I've been at it every year, including this year.
    11pm curfew is a residential area licence requirement, so nothing to do with "cheapness".
    there's nothing whatsoever wrong with the access, it's a extremely easy to get in and out of, and the public transport options are much better than EP.
    no problem with the sound this year (and it's almost certainly the same rig as used at EP), sh1tloads of toilets (so many that every time i went there were multiple ones free), and plenty of food options, all of which also appear at EP (eg. Kinara Kitchen).

not really sure what the age of the crowd has to do with "cheapness"...

If I implied that age of crowd was related to the cheap feel of festival it wasn't intentional, I was talking about why I prefer EP to Longitude. It's about opinions isn't it. And personally I think Longitude is fairly rubbish. Only reason I go is for the line-up in recent years which has generally been really good. However take the good line-up away, like this year, and I couldn't be arsed. It's just not worth the hassle. Unlike you I think the trek to and from Marley every day is a pain. Whereas I think EP offers so much more and I am always attracted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

AdamD wrote: »
    Hotel?!

in portlaoise. two single rooms free now in o'loughlins hotel if anyone wants it. €100 a room a night, decent value. and right beside the bus to EP. NOT on any of hotel booking sites so a bit hidden. i might be killing my hotel edge if i go again next year...
    Mid-tier for me is artists that are about to break through and I haven't heard of yet. Body and Soul lineup looks to be full of those (already discovered two great bands thanks to the Spotify playlist today!)

mid tier to me are NON-IRISH bands i've heard of but not huge and might never break through. just good tunes! like body soul announcement last year, they got Shamir, that was a huge addition for me but would def be classed as a mid tier act for the festival as a whole. LA priest as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Trailer Park
    Comedy
    Jerry Fish
    Red Bull
    Salty Dog

The worrying bit is that two of these aren't even guaranteed to happen.

Overall I think the line up is pretty good, of any year I've gone this years headliners probably appeal to me most (New Order, LCD & Chems), and there are plenty of other acts I'm looking forward to seeing across the weekend. I'm still more excited for this weekend than I have been for any other Irish festival this year and I think we're all guaranteed a good time when you combine the music, the fun, being with friends etc. - all positive.

However, I do feel a bit let down that the organisers seem to have taken the foot off the gas a little bit once it had sold out. They still have a month or so to surprise us but I feel as if every musical aspect of the festival this year apart from the headliners is weaker than most previous years, despite it selling out quicker than ever and a bigger capacity than ever.

There isn't much that anyone can do about the influx of people attending purely for the event, that is happening at every single Irish festival, they are just a very popular thing to do at the moment. That will understandably put some people off, but IMO there is little the organisers of EP can do about that. They do have full control of the music and who they book though, and they shouldn't be surprised if people are unhappy about this.

Of course, there is still a few weeks left for them to change all of this, but it is looking increasingly unlikely that they are going to have any big surprises for us. There isn't anything much ore subjective than music taste, but from reading this thread the past few months it certainly feels as if a good number of people are in agreement that they have slipped up mainly around booking "mid level" acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Has the the line up for the new woods stage curated by District 8 and Hidden Agenda been announced yet?

The worrying bit is that two of these aren't even guaranteed to happen.

Overall I think the line up is pretty good, of any year I've gone this years headliners probably appeal to me most (New Order, LCD & Chems), and there are plenty of other acts I'm looking forward to seeing across the weekend. I'm still more excited for this weekend than I have been for any other Irish festival this year and I think we're all guaranteed a good time when you combine the music, the fun, being with friends etc. - all positive.

However, I do feel a bit let down that the organisers seem to have taken the foot off the gas a little bit once it had sold out. They still have a month or so to surprise us but I feel as if every musical aspect of the festival this year apart from the headliners is weaker than most previous years, despite it selling out quicker than ever and a bigger capacity than ever.

There isn't much that anyone can do about the influx of people attending purely for the event, that is happening at every single Irish festival, they are just a very popular thing to do at the moment. That will understandably put some people off, but IMO there is little the organisers of EP can do about that. They do have full control of the music and who they book though, and they shouldn't be surprised if people are unhappy about this.

Of course, there is still a few weeks left for them to change all of this, but it is looking increasingly unlikely that they are going to have any big surprises for us. There isn't anything much ore subjective than music taste, but from reading this thread the past few months it certainly feels as if a good number of people are in agreement that they have slipped up mainly around booking "mid level" acts.

I've heard from a pretty reliable person that Red Bull is going ahead in the arena and I even posted a video of one of the international acts I was told was playing an extended set so I'm not overly concerned about that.

In relation to the main lineup yes it is lacking in some places but there is always a 3rd batch of acts added sometimes a 4th, surely that can't change as they need a certain amount of acts to fill all the stages. I'd be fairly confident of 1 more announcement with some middle tier acts on it.

As a previous poster mentioned they are only damaging the brand if they are seen to be openly skimping on quality acts. They aren't only competing with Irish festivals growing numbers of revellers are choosing foreign festivals now and there is countless of them to choose from.

If we are having the same conversation this time next month then the concerns are justified but there is enough time between now and then to pad out the line up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Anyone got a link to the body and soul Spotify playlist? Only seem to be able to find the body and soul festival one.

here is my tuppence on the quality of the line up ...

Normally there are at least 5 or 6 acts that have had a cracking album over the last 18 months... acts that aren't really that big for headliners but really make the so called "mid-tier" very attractive...

For example last year we got:

Future Islands
    Roisin Murphy
    The War on Drugs
    Mac de Marco (disappointing on the day , terrible sound)
    Parquet Courts
    Battles (set of the weekend for many)
    FKA Twigs
    Django Django
    Viet Cong
    Fat White Family
    Son Lux
    Jack Garret
    Shamir

... thats some good bunch of non-headliner acts right there ...

Where is this level of quality this year ... I'm struggling to see it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to the body and soul Spotify playlist? Only seem to be able to find the body and soul festival one.

https://play.spotify.com/user/epfestival/playlist/1wogoGs8DccAShu18KUHza

alternatively its in nialler9's page :
    http://nialler9.com/body-soul-electric-picnic-lineup-announced/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I've heard from a pretty reliable person that Red Bull is going ahead in the arena and I even posted a video of one of the international acts I was told was playing an extended set so I'm not overly concerned about that.

In relation to the main lineup yes it is lacking in some places but there is always a 3rd batch of acts added sometimes a 4th, surely that can't change as they need a certain amount of acts to fill all the stages. I'd be fairly confident of 1 more announcement with some middle tier acts on it.

As a previous poster mentioned they are only damaging the brand if they are seen to be openly skimping on quality acts. They aren't only competing with Irish festivals growing numbers of revellers are choosing foreign festivals now and there is countless of them to choose from.

If we are having the same conversation this time next month then the concerns are justified but there is enough time between now and then to pad out the line up

I also heard that there will be an RBMA stage in the arena but from the same source I was told that 3 would be running the stage in the woods, so when that didn't happen I lost a bit of faith in the other rumour. Hopefully it does go ahead.

There were 59 acts on the "main arena" line up last year, so far this year there are 49, I would be confident that another announcement will come but less confident about the quality of acts on it.

• Advertisement

here is my tuppence on the quality of the line up ...

Normally there are at least 5 or 6 acts that have had a cracking album over the last 18 months... acts that aren't really that big for headliners but really make the so called "mid-tier" very attractive...

For example last year we got:

Future Islands
    Roisin Murphy
    The War on Drugs
    Mac de Marco (disappointing on the day , terrible sound)
    Parquet Courts
    Battles (set of the weekend for many)
    FKA Twigs
    Django Django
    Viet Cong
    Fat White Family
    Son Lux
    Jack Garret
    Shamir

... thats some good bunch of non-headliner acts right there ...

Where is this level of quality this year ... I'm struggling to see it ...

Its down to personal taste but I think there are plenty of acts of similar quality on the lineup, not all to my personal taste but you could argue that the list you posted is no better or worse than what's already confirmed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement