Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

here is my tuppence on the quality of the line up ...

Normally there are at least 5 or 6 acts that have had a cracking album over the last 18 months... acts that aren't really that big for headliners but really make the so called "mid-tier" very attractive...

For example last year we got:

Future Islands
    Roisin Murphy
    The War on Drugs
    Mac de Marco (disappointing on the day , terrible sound)
    Parquet Courts
    Battles (set of the weekend for many)
    FKA Twigs
    Django Django
    Viet Cong
    Fat White Family
    Son Lux
    Jack Garret
    Shamir

... thats some good bunch of non-headliner acts right there ...

Where is this level of quality this year ... I'm struggling to see it ...
    As with most people here I'm unhappy with many of the poor mid-level acts we've had foisted upon us (Years & Years, 1975, Gavin James, Catfish, etc) but as ever with EP there's plenty of quality there also:

Super Furry Animals - reliably great
    Nao - well reviewed debut album released last week, 81/100 on Metacritic and she's on the way.
    Ezra Furman - impressive artist and supposedly superb live
    The Shins - for me one of the best US bands of this century
    Phosphorescent - excellent Americana band, check out Song For Zula
    Daniel Avery - this year's Jon Hopkins, but that's probably setting him up to fail
    Wild Beasts - great vocals, great band
    Animal Collective - difficult live from what I've heard but only seven years since Merriweather was the critics album of the year
    Glass Animals - superb 2/3 years ago and will be again methinks
    Broken Social Scene - recently off the boil but their best material is very good indeed
    Toots & the Maytals - no introduction required
    Wolf Alice - potential future headliners for the biggest festivals, as previous posters have pointed out
    Karl Blau - more great Americana, check out his cover of Fallin' Rain
    Whitney - love their debut album, could be a special set at the fest
    Bat For Lashes - am not a huge fan, but The Bride is very good
    Blossoms - another well reviewed debut, a couple of special pop tunes therein
    Editors - marmite band, but they've got at least 3/4 great tracks
    This Is The Kit - well worth a look

AND I believe there will be a few more goodies announced. I've never ever been let down by an EP line-up and won't be again this year. Roll on September.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    As with most people here I'm unhappy with many of the poor mid-level acts we've had foisted upon us (Years & Years, 1975, Gavin James, Catfish, etc) but as ever with EP there's plenty of quality there also:

Super Furry Animals - reliably great
    Nao - well reviewed debut album released last week, 81 on Metacritic and she's on the way.
    Ezra Furman - impressive artist and supposedly superb live
    The Shins - for me one of the best US bands of this century
    Phosphorescent - excellent Americana band, check out Song For Zula
    Daniel Avery - this year's Jon Hopkins, but that's probably setting him up to fail
    Wild Beasts - great vocals, great band
    Animal Collective - difficult live from what I've heard but only seven years since Merriweather was the critics album of the year
    Glass Animals - superb 2/3 years ago and will be again methinks
    Broken Social Scene - recently off the boil but their best material is very good indeed
    Toots & the Maytals - no introduction required
    Wolf Alice - potential future headliners for the biggest festivals, as previous posters have pointed out
    Karl Blau - more great Americana, check out his cover of Fallin' Rain
    Whitney - love their debut album, could be a special set at the fest
    Bat For Lashes - am not a huge fan, but The Bride is very good
    Blossoms - another well reviewed debut, a couple of special pop tunes therein
    Editors - marmite band, but they've got at least 3/4 great tracks
    This Is The Kit - well worth a look

AND I believe there will be a few more goodies announced. I've never ever been let down by an EP line-up and won't be again this year. Roll on September.

Kevin Morby is also worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

here is my tuppence on the quality of the line up ...

Normally there are at least 5 or 6 acts that have had a cracking album over the last 18 months... acts that aren't really that big for headliners but really make the so called "mid-tier" very attractive...

For example last year we got:

Future Islands
    Roisin Murphy
    The War on Drugs
    Mac de Marco (disappointing on the day , terrible sound)
    Parquet Courts
    Battles (set of the weekend for many)
    FKA Twigs
    Django Django
    Viet Cong
    Fat White Family
    Son Lux
    Jack Garret
    Shamir

... thats some good bunch of non-headliner acts right there ...

Where is this level of quality this year ... I'm struggling to see it ...

Battles were definitely my highlight of EP2015!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think it's pretty obvious they took their eye off the ball after it sold out, this doesn't bode well for the future but for me it's still a good lineup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I suppose the real positive about the EP line up is..... it's a million times better than Leeds and Reading ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Right so having read the past few whinge bag pages I had a wobble last night and revisited the line up to see if I was gonna sell my ticket or go. (mainly cos I'm so fecking over camping)
    Not a fricken chance I am selling my ticket. So the wanna see list so far on one nights exploration is

LCD Soundsystem (OMG can not wait to see them again after Glasto)
    Chemical Brothers
    Nas
    Bat for Lashes (regrettably missed them at Glasto but was worn out by the mud to make the trek to John Peel and missed a blinder by all accounts)
    Animal Collective
    Savages
    **** Robot
    Toots
    Booka Brass Band (always amezzin)
    Le Galaxie (still never seen 'em live :O)
    Whitney
    Nathaniel Ratcliff
    Jack Garrett (on recommendation from here)
    Daniel Avery
    John Talabot
    Todd Terje

Might I also just add that I've been listening to the Spotify playlist for Body and Soul and not a single guff act on there.

So yeah, would like a bit more announced but already looking clash heavy for me and always love just mooching anyway. And WTF queues for an hour for food? Are we even attending the same festival????

So anyway, meet me down the woods where I'll be playing spoons while The 1975 and Years and Years are on cos they are just a load of bollix really.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭dublingirl83

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Has the the line up for the new woods stage curated by District 8 and Hidden Agenda been announced yet?

Rave in the woods now called "anachronica" area. EP site says it will be 'all city records' and 'district 8' dj's running it. List of those playing are on their Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Right so having read the past few whinge bag pages I had a wobble last night and revisited the line up to see if I was gonna sell my ticket or go. (mainly cos I'm so fecking over camping)
    Not a fricken chance I am selling my ticket. So the wanna see list so far on one nights exploration is

Chemical Brothers
    Nas
    Bat for Lashes (regrettably missed them at Glasto but was worn out by the mud to make the trek to John Peel and missed a blinder by all accounts)
    Animal Collective
    Savages
    **** Robot
    Toots
    Whitney
    Nathaniel Ratcliff
    Daniel Avery
    John Talabot
    Todd Terje

Might I also just add that I've been listening to the Spotify playlist for Body and Soul and not a single guff act on there.

So yeah, would like a bit more announced but already looking clash heavy for me and always love just mooching anyway. And WTF queues for an hour for food? Are we even attending the same festival????

So anyway, meet me down the woods where I'll be playing spoons while The 1975 and Years and Years are on cos they are just a load of bollix really.
    I agree with an awful lot of what you've just said. I've been away from the forum for about four days (or 20 pages) and had a quick flick through and it's funny how it's gone from being seen as a great line-up to being poor.

I've been to every EP bar the first two. I like metal and its extended family so I clearly don't go for the music, although I try to listen to every single act to see what I might discover.

Those you've listed above are what I'm interested in but it's as mediocre as ever for me. 65daysofstatic being added would result in the rest of this post being rendered a lie however.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Chemical Brothers
    Nas
    Animal Collective
    Savages
    **** Robot
    Toots
    Whitney
    Nathaniel Ratcliff
    Daniel Avery
    John Talabot
    Todd Terje

I agree but what about Joey Bada$$? I can't wait to see him and Nas. So psyched.

• Advertisement

I agree but what about Joey Bada$$? I can't wait to see him and Nas. So psyched.

I did state in my post it was one nights exploration. Joey Bada$$. Investigated and almost was posting that he was a ****e Craig David based on Devasted but then gave it another chance and listened to Papertrails and now I'm involved. Spoons staying in me pocket. :D
    Edited to add loving Christ Concious.
    Yup I'm there and added to must see list.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Would love to see the Arcadia set up at picnic again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I agree with an awful lot of what you've just said. I've been away from the forum for about four days (or 20 pages) and had a quick flick through and it's funny how it's gone from being seen as a great line-up to being poor.

I think a lot of people thought the lineup "so far" was great, but on the assumption that some big additions were coming.

As it's dawned on people that this is more or less it, that perception has changed.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Would love to see the Arcadia set up at picnic again

I fecking love Arcadia. Really wish they would get rid of that poxy fun fair ****e and replace it with that.
    Or at least move the horror from beside the greenfields. It properly jars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Business in "selling out already and deciding not to shelve out on expensive headliner" shocker. To be fair, it was never going to happen!

They're selling out now, with a much bigger attendance, much sooner, so it'll be more of the same for the next few years. Damned recovery, bring back the recession!

I did state in my post it was one nights exploration. Joey Bada$$. Investigated and almost was posting that he was a ****e Craig David based on Devasted but then gave it another chance and listened to Papertrails and now I'm involved. Spoons staying in me pocket. :D

Craig David? And a ****e one at that? :eek::pac:

Listen to 1999. He released it when he had just turned 17.

It's so good. I have it on in my car. Can't get sick of it.

I have listened to an awful lot of rap and this song ("World Domination") is about as good as it gets. Remember, he's 17. That sample at the start. That opening line. The smoothness of the rapping on the whole song. The wordplay. Everything about it is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Chemical Brothers
    Nas
    Animal Collective
    Savages
    **** Robot
    Toots
    Whitney
    Nathaniel Ratcliff
    Daniel Avery
    John Talabot
    Todd Terje

Should see you at a lot of the above acts, list is very similar to mine! I will add in Mother DJs, Plutonic Dust, Adultrock (all from B&S today) and Horse Meat Disco, Nicky Siano, Kellyanne Byrne, DJ Deece & Get Down Edits from Casa Bacardi.

Heard again tonight that the RBMA stage in the arena is going ahead. Despite my earlier posts I am still extremely excited about the weekend and have no doubt it's going to be a cracker! The beauty a few pints can have on your outlook...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Lollapalooza streaming. http://www.lollapalooza.com/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Thanks Boardsies for the recommendation of this chap , 2 mins into this performance im kinda hooked.

Personally i think a surprise set on the Salty Dog at like 1am would be unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Business in "selling out already and deciding not to shelve out on expensive headliner" shocker. To be fair, it was never going to happen!

They're selling out now, with a much bigger attendance, much sooner, so it'll be more of the same for the next few years. Damned recovery, bring back the recession!
    headliners are booked about a year in advance these days, selling out this year had no effect on the headliners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

There were 59 acts on the "main arena" line up last year, so far this year there are 49, I would be confident that another announcement will come but less confident about the quality of acts on it.

Firstly, sorry for the large images!

How are you getting just 59 acts last year ?

2016:
    49 this year so far

2015:
    Leaving aside the periphery stages, there were 85 acts in the main arena.
    84 if you consider James Murphy had his own tent.
    electric_picinc_2015_final_announcement_1000_wide_web_layer.jpg?itok=uQS7lf7w

2014:
    Leaving aside the periphery stages, there were 90 acts in the main arena.
    2014_poster.jpg?itok=5pbv-peD

We've gone from 94 main arena acts in 2013 to 85 last year, to ?? this year.
    The capacity increases each year, but the number of acts continues to fall.

Even if they continue with their trend of shaving 5 acts off the main arena bill per year, we'd still be due another 30 or so acts to be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I'd wonder if the early sell out could have affected the order and size of their announcements. The hopeful / deluded me is thinking that they may have left some goodies for last in order to get a good press bounce with the 2017 tickets going on sale in just over a month

Firstly, sorry for the large images!

How are you getting just 59 acts last year ?

2016:
    49 this year so far

2015:
    Leaving aside the periphery stages, there were 85 acts in the main arena.
    84 if you consider James Murphy had his own tent.

We've gone from 94 main arena acts in 2013 to 85 last year, to ?? this year.
    The capacity increases each year, but the number of acts continues to fall.

Even if they continue with their trend of shaving 5 acts off the main arena bill per year, we'd still be due another 30 or so acts to be announced.

Apologies, I clearly must have been looking at a poster that wasn't final because it definitely didn't have that many acts on it! With that considered we will definitely be getting another announcement then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Devastated is a load of rubbish listen to his album before the money or B4.DA.$$ (cleverly stylised as Badass too)

No.99 sounds straight out of early 90s NYC

It's a top album with some real old school vibes on it, very raw and hungry artist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

what was the name of the band who went on last on the sunday night at the Earthship stage in B&S always end up there with a big crowd all looking for the last gigs still going at the festival! were really good playing songs like Toto Africa

srm23 wrote: »
    what was the name of the band who went on last on the sunday night at the Earthship stage in B&S always end up there with a big crowd all looking for the last gigs still going at the festival! were really good playing songs like Toto Africa

Was it Mother DJs? They closed out one of the Body & Soul stages (think it could have been earthship) and I remember they definitely played Toto Africa. They had Faune on for a while doing live vocals as well as far as I can remember, great end to the weekend.

For anyone on Netflix, I would highly recommend watching "Nas: Time Is Illmatic". I may be biased but I loved it. Great insight into the making of the album and where he came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Listening to Pantha du Prince - The Triad a lot today. Love his older stuff and after the first couple of listens I'm liking his new album

Haven't seen him mentioned much here recently but he's definitely worth checking out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Thanks Boardsies for the recommendation of this chap , 2 mins into this performance im kinda hooked.

Personally i think a surprise set on the Salty Dog at like 1am would be unreal

He's got a part in the new series of Mr Robot too, for anyone watching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Listening to Pantha du Prince - The Triad a lot today. Love his older stuff and after the first couple of listens I'm liking his new album

Haven't seen him mentioned much here recently but he's definitely worth checking out

Definitely one of my "must see"s this year. really like the new album...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement