Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Cut & Sew are a stylish Sweeney Todd-style barbers

Eh, wat?

I like my neck thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

Fatfrog wrote: »
    I suppose the real positive about the EP line up is..... it's a million times better than Leeds and Reading ;)

But not much better than T in the park unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Firstly, sorry for the large images!

How are you getting just 59 acts last year ?

2016:
    49 this year so far

2015:
    Leaving aside the periphery stages, there were 85 acts in the main arena.
    84 if you consider James Murphy had his own tent.
    electric_picinc_2015_final_announcement_1000_wide_web_layer.jpg?itok=uQS7lf7w

2014:
    Leaving aside the periphery stages, there were 90 acts in the main arena.
    2014_poster.jpg?itok=5pbv-peD

We've gone from 94 main arena acts in 2013 to 85 last year, to ?? this year.
    The capacity increases each year, but the number of acts continues to fall.

Even if they continue with their trend of shaving 5 acts off the main arena bill per year, we'd still be due another 30 or so acts to be announced.

So how come we are not bombarding the EP facebook page with 'Where are the 39 or 40 other acts, fcukers!'

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

So how come we are not bombarding the EP facebook page with 'Where are the 39 or 40 other acts, fcukers!'

Lead the charge bd and others will surely follow ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Great , another brilliant announcement

Next up ... "Art portaloos coming to EP.. no longer will the portaloos be all green, we will have multiple colours this year .. "

Lead the charge bd and others will surely follow ..

Just did under the Pamper Street announcement as there is not really a wall for visitors posts, I implore most EP fans on here to do the same if there is enough people doing this, they will have to say something surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Just did under the Pamper Street announcement as there is not really a wall for visitors posts, I implore most EP fans on here to do the same if there is enough people doing this, they will have to say something surely.
    Good man Niall! I'm not on FB so couldn't do so myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I don't want to quote those massive images ('cos my phone'll go berserk...) but **** me, 2014 had some line up.

Just skimming through the bottom few lines of the main arena:

Wyvern Lingo, Tvvins (now All Tvvins), Booka Brass Band, Wolf Alice, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Glass Animals, Walking on Cars (I don't like them but they are hugely popular), Stephen Malkmus, Jenny Lewis, Kaytranada, FKA Twigs (she cancelled in the end, I think, didn't she?), Jungle, the Horrors...

And that's without going into the acts in bigger font at the top or any of the outlying arenas - Body & Soul was particularly brilliant that year IMO. And I know for many of those bands it is now a case of having gotten bigger (Wolf Alice, Wyvern Lingo, etc) but not all festival line ups hold up so well a few years on!

Disclaimer: This is not a comment on this year's festival in any sense, just some light nostalgia on my part!!

• Advertisement

Bang on Niall .. am not active Facebooker, but I "liked" your comment in the hope that it will stay prominent among all the banal "this is where you will find me" ****e from the shills.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Good man , I don't have a FB account meself to do it

...waiting for the boilerplate "Niall, more acts will be announced in the coming weeks" reply that doesn't answer the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think they should just reply with a link to seatwave.com :pac:

...waiting for the boilerplate "Niall, more acts will be announced in the coming weeks" reply that doesn't answer the question.

and there it is

"Hi Niall, once the date is confirmed for the next round of acts we will let you know."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Well, at least it implies that there definitely is another round

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

At least they confirmed to me that there were still some more main acts to be announced but yeah, still skirting around it with the usual "automated" response.

So Niall, please be sure to let us know, when they let you know about when the announcement about the next announcement will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭rocks1981

At least they confirmed to me that there were still some more main acts to be announced but yeah, still skirting around it with the usual "automated" response.
    They're not lieing.... Dublin Gospel Choir aren't up there yet ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DanielSwords

Was it Mother DJs? They closed out one of the Body & Soul stages (think it could have been earthship) and I remember they definitely played Toto Africa. They had Faune on for a while doing live vocals as well as far as I can remember, great end to the weekend.

Mother closed the reckless in love stage on the Saturday I think. Was my highlight of the weekend. That's How The Good Lord Works and All My Friends as the last two songs I believe. Unreal.

• Advertisement

Mother closed the reckless in love stage on the Saturday I think. Was my highlight of the weekend. That's How The Good Lord Works and All My Friends as the last two songs I believe. Unreal.

I don't get this love for Mother DJs aren't they just spinning other peoples records, great selections and all that, but thats it. Was looking at their set at Body & Soul festival, they were just playing Underworld, no mixing are anything, just identical to the studio release, yay party man, but its not original, its just disc jockeys, at least Dineen does a proper set with recognisable original tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I don't get this love for Mother DJs aren't they just spinning other peoples records, great selections and all that, but thats it. Was looking at their set at Body & Soul festival, they were just playing Underworld, no mixing are anything, just identical to the studio release, yay party man, but its not original, its just disc jockeys, at least Dineen does a proper set with recognisable original tunes.

Hello, I'd like to introduce you to the concept of a DJ...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DanielSwords

I agree and wouldn't pay to see that as a standalone set. But after seeing live music all day I'm more than happy with that for an hour or two at 3am to dance away too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

For some, a great selection of tunes is just a bit of craic, a little bit of dancing after the live music has ended. But for someone like myself, searching out DJs that provide the very best, most unique collection of tracks is the endgame itself.

I'm heading to Dekmantel in Amsterdam next week. Some of the DJs there (Theo Parrish, Moodymann, Motor City Drum Ensemble, Ben UFO) don't just play great selections. They stitch together music that you've never heard of, vinyl records that you cannot afford, whole genres of music that would otherwise make unnatural bedfellows.

I've stood in front of Giles Peterson and watched him jump from deep house to jazz to boss nova to ambient. One year at the Picnic he dropped The Specials' 'A Message to You Rudy' to a tent-full of sweaty twenty-year-olds who wanted nothing but house music. But the place went bananas. At around 3pm on a Saturday afternoon. 'Great selection' doesn't sum up his ear for a tune, his sense of adventure or his understanding of a crowd dynamic.

Admittedly you don't get too many DJs of that calibre at Electric Picnic anymore, and that's a real shame, but when I think of 'DJs' it's moments like that which spring to mind.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    For some, a great selection of tunes is just a bit of craic, a little bit of dancing after the live music has ended. But for someone like myself, searching out DJs that provide the very best, most unique collection of tracks is the endgame itself.

I'm heading to Dekmantel in Amsterdam next week. Some of the DJs there (Theo Parrish, Moodymann, Motor City Drum Ensemble, Ben UFO) don't just play great selections. They stitch together music that you've never heard of, vinyl records that you cannot afford, whole genres of music that would otherwise make unnatural bedfellows.

I've stood in front of Giles Peterson and watched him jump from deep house to jazz to boss nova to ambient. One year at the Picnic he dropped The Specials' 'A Message to You Rudy' to a tent-full of sweaty twenty-year-olds who wanted nothing but house music. But the place went bananas. At around 3pm on a Saturday afternoon. 'Great selection' doesn't sum up his ear for a tune, his sense of adventure or his understanding of a crowd dynamic.

Admittedly you don't get too many DJs of that calibre at Electric Picnic anymore, and that's a real shame, but when I think of 'DJs' it's moments like that which spring to mind.

Mr Scruff's set in 2007 at Bodytonic Tent comes to mind here as well. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Mr Scruff's set in 2007 at Bodytonic Tent comes to mind here as well. :)

scruff monkey is a DJ? :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Electric Picnic
    Hi Paul, there are still more acts to be announced for the main line up. Once the date is confirmed we will let you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Aside from the occasional throwing toys out of the pram cos of line up I bloody love this thread. Totally loving Joey Bada$$ following recommendations from here.
    So all I would say to those giving it socks about the quality of the line up is to properly explore it before you decide its not for you. Some absolute cracking gems in there that I have never heard of before. And that for me is what going to festivals is all about. I can go to a gig for an act I like anytime but discovering something down at Body and Soul at midnight that gives you tingles and you must investigate further is why I brave the camping and feel like **** from achey bones for a week afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Mr.S wrote:
    Radiohead?

David Guetta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Mr.S wrote: »
    Radiohead?

They were already announced. Keep up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement