Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭GhostMutt30

Hoping for a main lineup announcement today, it would be perfect timing after the bank holiday weekend

I was thinkin we might get one next Fri, if we got one today sure that'd be nice:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

4 weeks and counting!
    Are we gonna try (again) and meet up on the Friday?
    Any chance the mods might allow a sticky for all the recommended paraphernalia which should be brought?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

Mr.S wrote: »
    €50 per slab is worth it for cold cans & not having to carry the weight a million miles alone!
    I suppose if you get all 24 drank on the Friday they'd still be cold:p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Prepare youself for a belly full of laughs this September!
    If you want to catch some of the biggest stand-up comedians in the world or simply relax, then the Comedy stage is the perfect spot for you. Join us for the biggest comedy line up at any Irish festival this summer.

Headlining the comedy stage will be the undisputed comedy king of Stradbally Dylan Moran, who performed in front of thousands of adoring fans back in 2013. Dylan has had huge success as both a writer and performer since winning Channel 4's 'So You Think You're Funny' and even won a BAFTA award for his sitcom 'Black Books'. After his performance at this year's festival, Dylan is set to tour the US with his critically acclaimed stand-up show 'Off The Hook'.

David O'Doherty makes a much welcome return to the Comedy stage this year, accompanied by his trusty keyboard for some jaunty quirky songs. Fresh from a hugely successful Irish tour, US comic Reginald D Hunter will also be gracing the stage in Stradbally.

With his fondness for innuendos, Al Porter’s frank, out-and-proud tales and occasional cutting cruelty is guaranteed to have you in stitches. Rubberbandits, one of the funniest and most original acts to emerge in recent years, will entertain the assembled masses with their satirical and crude comedy style.

Abandoman's improvised rap performances will bring the feel-good factor to Electric Picnic, alongside British Comedy Award winner Aisling Bea, Belfast's Colin Murphy, sibling comedy duo Lords of Strut and Australian comic Damian Clark.

Also set for the stage in Stradbally will be Gearoid Farrelly, Chris Kent and Kevin McGahern. Fans of the art of improvised comedy are in for a treat when the Dublin Comedy Improv troupe take to the stage. Regular contributor to Newstalk's 'The Right Hook', Alison Spittle will make her Picnic debut, and as ever we will be showcasing some of the best up-and-coming comedy talent in Ireland, including Danny O'Brien, Colm Tyrell and Ashlee Bentley.

Add in festival stalwarts Fred Cooke, John Colleary, Joe Rooney, Patrick McDonnell, Eric Lalor, Kevin Gildea, Ian Coppinger and Karl Spain and you can see that this will be one of the most exciting line ups ever.

Keeping the whole show on the road is the man dubbed the ‘best MC in the biz’ and your host for the weekend, human dynamo Andrew Stanley.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

That's a pretty great comedy lineup, maybe I'll finally make it into that tent after 11 years of going!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Dylan Moran, Rubberbandits and Reginald D Hunter. Excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

MJohnston wrote: »
    That's a pretty great comedy lineup, maybe I'll finally make it into that tent after 11 years of going!

So last main announcement left, Trailer Park Stage, Salty Dog and the Jerry Fish stage and that will be our lot I suppose.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Thats a good lineup, although with Alison Spittle on it, that would be a snorefest, but the rest is pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

in response to a post on FB on the 29th July EP replied saying

".. there are still more acts to be announced for the main line up. Once the date is confirmed we will let you know!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

This post has been deleted.
    Oops, cheerfully withdrawn.

Still think it's a rip-off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'm still holding out for Madness to be the last big announcement, Saturday 3rd September still remains open in Madness's touring schedule, they looked and sounded brilliant on the Glastonbury footage.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I'm still holding out for Madness to be the last big announcement, Saturday 3rd September still remains open in Madness's touring schedule, they looked and sounded brilliant on the Glastonbury footage.
    There's definitely room for them. Squeeze also, but I'd prefer them in a tent. Insufficient 80s acts on that line-up, only New Order thus far. Could also do with a post-punk act too. We've had Magazine & Gang of Four, what about Wire or The Pop Group?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The Jerry Fish Electric Sideshow @ Electric Picnic 2016 Line up announced this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

I wonder if they will drop the rest of line-up announcements this week, IIRC it's usually done early August. Leaves the rest of month to release site map, stages breakdown, times etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I wonder if they will drop the rest of line-up announcements this week, IIRC it's usually done early August. Leaves the rest of month to release site map, stages breakdown, times etc

I am entirely prepared for the underwhelming completion of the "main" line up... doesn't really matter when it comes as it will likely contain a bundle of Irish bands that have been around for years and others that are on the cusp of something average ...

I would suggest that we all prepare to be underwhelmed.. !

Edit: I really do hope that I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

I'm still holding out for M83 to be added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I am entirely prepared for the underwhelming completion of the "main" line up... doesn't really matter when it comes as it will likely contain a bundle of Irish bands that have been around for years and others that are on the cusp of something average ...

Agreed, if there's 1 act that i'm interested in seeing i'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm still holding out for M83 to be added

Looked and sounded amazing at Glasto on the BBC. Saw them at B&S a few years back and they were totally fantastic .. Great live act.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Miike snow please !!

Comedy lineup is decent , I've never actually made it in there though , going to this year

• Advertisement

Jerry Fish's line up last year was amazing for me. Sultans of Ping, Frank and Walters, fight like apes.

So I'm holding out some hope there too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Agreed, if there's 1 act that i'm interested in seeing i'll be pleasantly surprised.
    Some optimism required here, so for my tuppence worth I reckon we're in for a fair few decent acts, possibly the best EP third announcement thus far. Based on nothing factual, just the perceived gaps in the line-up as well as the obvious big bounce the festival would get from a decent announcement so close to the sale of tickets for 2017 (only five weeks til they become available I reckon). Feel free to give me abuse if I'm wrong and The Blizzards & Coronas get announced again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Some optimism required here, so for my tuppence worth I reckon we're in for a fair few decent acts, possibly the best EP third announcement thus far. Based on nothing factual, just the perceived gaps in the line-up as well as the obvious big bounce the festival would get from a decent announcement so close to the sale of tickets for 2017 (only five weeks til they become available I reckon). Feel free to give me abuse if I'm wrong and The Blizzards & Coronas get announced again.

Blizzards have already self announced :pac:

You named the very two acts that I was going to reference in my post above :)

As I say, I really do hope I am wrong.

When EP responded on Facebook last week to Niall, they didn't say "Niall we have some great acts still to announce" or "we have some real surprises in store for you" or "you will not be disappointed". No, they just said that there would be another "main" announcement. All very "blah, blah".

If it were me and I had acts of the stature of M83 up my sleeve I would be sure to raise the expectations.

Please God let me be wrong. I promise I will go to Mass if I am wrong and atone all my sins.

Blizzards have already self announced :pac:

er .. blown away!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

So last main announcement left, Trailer Park Stage, Salty Dog and the Jerry Fish stage and that will be our lot I suppose.

Rbma stage as well which I think will be the lbt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

why on earth would they need/care about a "bounce" 5 weeks before 2017 tickets go onsale? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

why on earth would they need/care about a "bounce" 5 weeks before 2017 tickets go onsale? :confused:

Because some people mightn't be so quick to get 2017 early bird tickets if the lineup for 2016 doesn't improve a bit

It would definitely hurt early sales for next year if this years lineup is not improved to a reasonable degree.

I suspect that we have seen the end of the loyalty tickets though. This was introduced during the recession years to boost early sales .. there is clearly no need for that anymore as the festival will sell out anyway, sooner or later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

It would definitely hurt early sales for next year if this years lineup is not improved to a reasonable degree.

I suspect that we have seen the end of the loyalty tickets though. This was introduced during the recession years to boost early sales .. there is clearly no need for that anymore as the festival will sell out anyway, sooner or later.

Only reason I would disagree here is that there is no way to spin the removal of a loyalty offer as anything other than a money-grabbing exercise. It would be pretty bad for EP's brand image - they have always been seen to be a festival that looks after its audience (or at least tries to) and removing the option of a loyalty scheme would be a real kick in the teeth to that audience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement