Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

First time camping at a festival. I'm going to Belfast at the weekend and hoping to pick up some things.

What do I need to bring with me?

Tent.
    Sleeping bag
    Self-inflating mattress
    For luxury, bring a pillow.
    Stuff to keep hygienic.

Optional:
    Torch
    Gaffer tape for running repairs
    Flag
    Acoustic guitar with Oasis songbook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

First time camping at a festival. I'm going to Belfast at the weekend and hoping to pick up some things.

If you're sharing with others, I'd recommend a tent you can stand up in - makes getting dressed that bit easier and the space is great. We had a 5 man tent for 4 of us last year (2 divided bedrooms & a 'living' area).
    Comfy sleeping bag, yoga mat for sleeping on, I used a small cushion as a pillow, a few layers of clothes for sleeping in (1 night in particular last year was freezing).

Bought cheapy camping chairs with drink holders and they're great. Keep them in your tent when you're not there and at nighttime because they could be robbed.
    Baby wipes.
    Snacks (cereal bars etc) - handy to have when you're not arsed going to the shop.
    Bog roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭GhostMutt30

alastair wrote: »
    Tent.
    Sleeping bag
    Self-inflating mattress
    Stuff to keep hygienic.

Optional:
    Torch
    Flag

please no

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

please no

That's what the flag is for. To easily identify the offender.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Serious lack of post-rock type acts this year. 65daysofstatic would be a super addition.

I suspect if they are not booked at this point, then no petition in the world is gonna change that.

Looks like they are not playing live dates until october ...

• Advertisement

Tent.

Alternatively for space saving.. bring a pillow case that you can stuff with your softer (and cleaner) clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Wooderson wrote: »
    -=al=- wrote: »
    Charlie/ Eco is decent for a more chilled out vibe and less chance of cowboys knocking about. Janis is similar too.

Earplugs + Ear muffs + Eye mask = Sleep

I usually wake up afternoon well rested! I don't know how most people function on so little sleeps and no ear plugs. I take absolutely no chances whatsoever in that department

When did they get rid of the "quiet" campsite?
    I remember 'quiet camping' being part of the Andy Warhol campsite for two years. It just didn't work, most people being unaware that section was reserved for people who didn't want to party all night.

Janis Joplin is quiet. The lengthy walk to the main arena puts off people. Though with 55,000 there this year there may not be a great deal of space & quiet in any of the campsites.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Spudgunn

Tent.
    Sleeping bag
    Self-inflating mattress
    Stuff to keep hygienic.

Optional:
    Torch
    Flag

I wouldn't bother my hoop trekking to Belfast. You can pick up everything you require on sportsdirect.com extremely cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Spudgunn wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother my hoop trekking to Belfast. You can pick up everything you require on sportsdirect.com extremely cheap.

Ah but you've never been to Decathlon then

home store + more have good deals at the moment too

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/summer/camping/icat/specampin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Spudgunn

MJohnston wrote: »
    Had a look on their site alright. They are all in and around the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

home store + more have good deals at the moment too

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/summer/camping/icat/specampin

That was July, they are on to Pet Beds now

There might be a few odds and sods left but mostly its gone i think

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Can def see these lads being added (unless they already have been)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The Peace Pagoda at Electic Picnic in the Healing Area of Body&Soul at the festival offers a programme of ambient and electronic music an alternative music sanctuary.

As well as music, there’s also talks, yoga, workships, projection mapping and light installations.

The area is curated by Kevin A Freeney (CLU) & Algorithm and will feature live and DJ sets from Sias, Clu, No Place Like Drone, Emmet Homebeat, Discotekken’s Papa Lou, Frankie Grimes and Paper Trail Records.

Friday
    Paper Trail Records
    Emmet Homebeat
    Elrap & Zukat
    Optical Flow

Saturday
    The Dead Sex
    Quaker Meeting
    Sias
    No Place Like Drone

Sunday
    Frankie Grimes
    Clu
    Papa Lou
    A Gorilla

To give you a flavour of what to expect, John Kowalski (Solar Bears) under the name Alchimie put together a mix of music for the Peace Pagoda Mix Series.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Mars Bars
    Coke
    Vodka
    Baby Wipes
    Clean Underwear
    Rizla

Thank you so much for this .. I hunted that post down ... looks like I am sorted .. proper price also .. face value!

Turns out that that facebook post selling a campervan ticket smelled way too much like a scam and I walked away .. so disappointed now .. still no campervan ticket ..

That was July, they are on to Pet Beds now

There might be a few odds and sods left but mostly its gone i think

ah well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,710 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Turns out that that facebook post selling a campervan ticket smelled way too much like a scam and I walked away .. so disappointed now .. still no campervan ticket ..

Balls! :(

How much are they face value?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Can def see these lads being added (unless they already have been)

I would be surprised if these lads weren't added. Surely a whole batch of Irish acts to be announced in the next announcement, New Jackson and Krystal Klear are two who usually play at EP who I'd like to see announced again. Heard months back that Mmoths was to play as well, wouldn't be my cup of tea but some might be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

everlast75 wrote: »
    Balls! :(

How much are they face value?

Think they were €80

• Advertisement

Campervan facevalue i think was about 70 quid + ticketmaster tax

For some reason I cant quote any posts here anymore... am getting a message about the length of my message being too short .. started when i tried to do a multi quote response...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I remember 'quiet camping' being part of the Andy Warhol campsite for two years. It just didn't work, most people being unaware that section was reserved for people who didn't want to party all night.

Janis Joplin is quiet. The lengthy walk to the main arena puts off people. Though with 55,000 there this year there may not be a great deal of space & quiet in any of the campsites.

Going by this map in 2009 it was next to Chaplin.

https://tenacioustimothy.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/ep2009camping3.jpg

If memory serves the field was nearly empty the entire weekend. Really quiet aswell. I missed 2010/11/12/13 so don't know when this was phased out.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

Laneyh wrote: »
    I know you don't go to EP to sleep and I'm fine with ambient noise of people chatting / listening to music but last year this foghorn woman kept us awake until near 9am.

I would not like to repeat that experience.

Any tips on finding a reasonably quiet campsite

would Janis Joplin be a good choice??

Joplin is quiet enough,I'll be heading there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

MJohnston wrote:

Or Go Outdoors. It's better for camping accessories than Decathlon. Both are better than Sports Direct. I like to be able to actually see and pick up the product for something like this.

Thanks to everyone for the tips. No guitar, thankfully. Although I do have an out of tune ukulele...

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

-=al=- wrote: »
    I think Janis replaced it a few years ago but not 100% sure

Janis and Chaplin are usually a little more chilled with some slightly older folk so it's probably a good bet for sleeps. Eco is similar too

Is the Eco the Be Your Environment place? That's already booked out

I camped in Chaplin last year and was just unlucky with the idiots camping beside us.
    Singing rebel songs badly at 8 in the morning.
    I did have earplugs but nothing would drown out the woman in full roaring mode.

I'll try and get there early and find a quiet spot in Janis Joplin or Chaplin

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I'd give Joplin a big thumbs up for anyone who wants a quieter spot. Definitely going back there this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

What's the chances of Steve Davis or Craig Charles popping up somewhere for a dj set? That would be different

• Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Its kinda annoying atm checking bands and acts websites, its not like the old days where Stradbally would mysteriously appear in someones dates. Thats what I used to love about the old Electric Picnic Forum attached to the festival website, the 'Self-confirmed for the Picnic' thread or words to that affect that would send a shrill of excitement. I know I've blabbered about this before, but don't care really just a bit stoned and bored.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

Hey often sell s few off on Ticketmaster in the days just before the event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Paddy2012

Serious lack of post-rock type acts this year. 65daysofstatic would be a super addition.

I suspect if they are not booked at this point, then no petition in the world is gonna change that.

Looks like they are not playing live dates until october ...

Yeah its strange the lack of post rock especially with them, Godspeed, Sigur Ros and EITS all touring. I'm really liking Overhead, the Albatross though who are on body and soul.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement